• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 26th of February 2019

Good morning everyone. As you know, we’re hard at work planning the grand European update with a tentative release date of Q4 2019. Today I’ll be airing some of my early thoughts on the upcoming map updates for France and Italy. I’d like to stress that these thoughts are exactly that - early ideas that will be iterated on substantially before implementation and release. Part of my reason for writing this is to help consolidate my ideas, seek community feedback, and to set some expectations for the future.

First, let’s take a nostalgic look into the distant past of patch 1.4, the oldest patch still available on Steam, and marvel at how far we’ve come since those primitive times.

old france.jpg

And for reference, here is France in the current version (1.28) of the game:

current france.jpg

Province density has increased somewhat; lonely Provence is now paired with Forcalquier, Languedoc is no longer unreasonably massive, and the Normandy region is much prettier these days. The 1.25 ‘England’ patch was the most recent iteration to the French map, and we’re very happy with the changes it made to northern France. Province shapes, densities, ownerships, etc are in a very good place for the northern part of the region. Southern France however could use some love. I’ve been keeping an eye on this thread which has some interesting ideas on how it could be improved:

France Map Changes.png

As I’ve said in the thread, I’m particularly eager to add the major French naval dockyard of Toulon, splitting it from the Provence province which would likely have to be renamed. Foix and Carcassonne would also be worthy additions, and La Marche nicely splits up the relatively large Limousin province. Albret I find much less convincing; while Gascony potentially has room for a new province I’m not sure that there’s a good candidate with any real significance that also fits the space between Aquitaine and Labourd. I rather like this suggestion overall. It definitely hits the mark for the province density we’re aiming for in the region.

Another notable difference between Ye Olde France and our current iteration is the presence of the French vassals. Ultimately removed for balance reasons, we’d like to return them to their former glory. The story of France in our period is one of consolidation, and to that end we feel that the return of the vassals would make playing as France feel more like you are slowly building a centralized nation out of a fragmented feudal realm. We also think it’s a shame that we so rarely see many of the wonderful models for the French minors that are part of the Hundred Years’ War Unit Pack.

Let’s set our sights on Italy next:

italy.jpg

And for reference, Italy as it is right now:

newitaly.jpg

In stark contrast to France, Italy has more tags in 1444 rather than less. Montferrat and Lucca have made a triumphant appearance while Tuscany has been replaced by Florence. The Florentine replacement brings back fond memories for me - I’d advocated for Florence on the forums long before starting at Paradox, and created a mod compatible with the pre-release demo version of the game that did exactly this. I think we can expect to see Florence getting some love in the form of a fancy new mission tree at the very least.

We can also see a move towards a higher province density, to the point where it’s going to be a challenge to find room for yet more provinces when we start on the next iteration of the map. Something else we need to be concerned about when we add more provinces is that we generally want to preserve the overall balance of the region (though this isn’t always the case, sometimes we deliberately use province changes to alter the balance) and keep the same feel for how wealthy its provinces are. Italy is a region that should and does have a lot of very high development provinces - adding a great deal more would force us to split this development up and make the region feel more generic.

madness.jpg

Here we see a suggestion by reddit user u/ItalianMapper. While it’s certainly a thing of beauty in its own way, we will definitely not be implementing anything close to this for the European update. Space is at a premium and tiny provinces as seen here simply aren’t workable. That said, I quite like the idea of splitting Sicily into significantly more provinces. We’ve toyed with the idea of adding 1 more province to fill out the Sicily area (currently at 4 provinces including Malta) but haven’t found a satisfying way to do this. As such we’re considering whether a 6 province (7 including Malta) Sicily is something we want to experiment with. I’m also interested in adding a Bologna tag, splitting the Novara province (a good suggestion for which I’ve seen in this thread), and doing something with Venetian terra firma that’s remained largely unchanged since the release of the game.

That’s all from me this week. I ask you once again to bear in mind that we are still very early in the development process for the European update, and nothing said here should be considered our final stance on a matter. We’d like to continue gathering community suggestions and expectations for France and Italy, so please continue to share your ideas in our suggestions subforum or in the comments below. Next week I’ll be back to talk about our ideas for updating the Balkans, so stay tuned for more map talk.

Last edited:
When you look at Italy neondt, please take in strong consideration Como. It was the link between Milan and Switzerland and the Fortresses of Bellinzona can be represented by a fort, to give a buffer between the two countries. Also thanks for mentioning my suggestion!
Como from a gameplay perspective is sort of redundant with Milan as it is. Milan, being a capital with a fort, already nicely plugs up the Alpine pass there. Adding Como would... add a fort that nicely plugs up the Alpine pass there.

I was wondering. If your issue with adding more vassals and duchies in 1444 is due to how the diplomacy/diplomatic relation stuff work why don't you make a different rule set just for age of discovery (possibly reformation) so that it is easier to maintain more vassals in the early stage of the game? This would allow you more freedom when designing the map at the start of the game, but if would still force the players to push for a centralized states unless they want don't want to get punished later. It could work decrementally: like 3 "free vassals" (don't consume diplo rep slot) before 1500, 2 before 1500 and 1 before 1600 for empires. 2 -> 1 -> 1 for kingdoms, 1 -> 0 ->0 for duchies. Note that here I'm just brainstorming for a mechanic, I don't say that actual numbers should be these.

You've freed the Isle of Mann, what about the Channel Islands?

Believe me, as a Jerseyman I'm sympathetic to these arguments. But I don't think we'll see the Channel Islands as a province in EU4, largely for gameplay reasons. I think making its inclusion meaningful would require some sort of "naval fort" mechanic that we don't have and isn't planned.

What about the French HRE lands like Lorraine and Alsace? Or Burgundy? Or would those be addressed separately as part of the HRE and Low Countries DDs?

No change for Lothringen? Nancy still at the wrong location. Metz should be smaller and an independent theocracy.

We'll talk about this region in a later dev diary.

He means a renaming of the province.

If Toulon gets added, Provence should be called Aix (after Aix-le-Provence). Provence indicates the whole region, Toulon and Draguignan included. Draguignan should be designated to its correct position btw.

See: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...nces-for-france-and-some-corrections.1142229/

Marseilles could be another possibility, though its rise to prominence may be best represented through an event or mission.

Como from a gameplay perspective is sort of redundant with Milan as it is. Milan, being a capital with a fort, already nicely plugs up the Alpine pass there. Adding Como would... add a fort that nicely plugs up the Alpine pass there.
Although Milan is a little too big for such an important province, though. :p

Anyway, I hope you guys take a good look at all the Italy-suggestions. Most of them aren't over the top and make good cases, as the region was full with rich cities.

@neondt Marseille is too close to Aix-en-Provence, though to properly represent and both were (roughly-speaking) equally important during most of EU4's timeframe (with Aix being the provincial capital, too).

This is sad :'( Italy main "feature" of the whole XI century to the XVI/XVII century is its particularism, not adding it would be like Poland without Winged Ussars :(
Well, no. Italy had been steadily consolidating since the 12th century - as a matter of fact, this process was so steady, no country was able to consolidate more than the others and in general enough to become hegemonic on the peninsula. Milan came the closest in the years between 1300 and 1400, under the guide of Gian Galeazzo Visconti, but his untimely death and underperforming heirs put an end to that attempt as well.

On the Alpine passes... they are a hot mess. In particular, the Alpine wastelands are so horridly placed, they actually cover two of the main passes through the Alps - Val d'Aosta and Valtellina.

@neondt

There could be a vassal autonomy mechanic where the base autonomy fluctuates depending on relative strength, economy, and relations. Additional autonomy levels would move up and down based on feudal taxes and call to arms.

For France it could be a government type called French Feudalism which can't be changed or upgraded until France has annexed all French vassals or the vassals have broken free.

100% autonomy - break away

75% - only military access and defensive call to arms

50% - only alliance

25% - alliance and trade power

0% - annexation

The overlord, which in this case would be France, can raise taxes (same way as tariffs are done for colonial subjects) and can use the vassal's manpower to recruit regiments.

Low legitimacy would make vassals want to declare war together to change the monarch or have one of the vassals become the monarch should one of them have a very high prestige.

Low prestige would make the vassals slowly gain autonomy.

What this government would do would make the French player or AI decide carefully when to call upon its vassals and when to not use them. On one side they would offer military power but eventually that can't be used until the vassals lose some autonomy. France can also decide not to use them and slowly absorb them quickly but might be in danger of losing a war to a strong rival due to manpower shortage.

I'm looking forward to see more.

One feature that I would personally like, would be the introduction of the Channel Islands as a separate province within the territory/state of Normandy and linked with a crossing to Normandy.

First of all much love for the French changes, glad the vassals are coming back!

View attachment 454930

Here we see a suggestion by reddit user u/ItalianMapper. While it’s certainly a thing of beauty in its own way, we will definitely not be implementing anything close to this for the European update. Space is at a premium and tiny provinces as seen here simply aren’t workable. That said, I quite like the idea of splitting Sicily into significantly more provinces. We’ve toyed with the idea of adding 1 more province to fill out the Sicily area (currently at 4 provinces including Malta) but haven’t found a satisfying way to do this. As such we’re considering whether a 6 province (7 including Malta) Sicily is something we want to experiment with. I’m also interested in adding a Bologna tag, splitting the Novara province (a good suggestion for which I’ve seen in this thread), and doing something with Venetian terra firma that’s remained largely unchanged since the release of the game.

That’s all from me this week. I ask you once again to bear in mind that we are still very early in the development process for the European update, and nothing said here should be considered our final stance on a matter. We’d like to continue gathering community suggestions and expectations for France and Italy, so please continue to share your ideas in our suggestions subforum or in the comments below. Next week I’ll be back to talk about our ideas for updating the Balkans, so stay tuned for more map talk.

Couldn't atleast some of these OPMs be implement? The Papal northern coastal regions could just as easily be turned into their historical OPMs for example (Ancona and Rimini).

Btw, what is it with some regions got city and some region names?
My autism forces me to rename all of them, which is kind of hard work once the empire grows :D

Btw, what is it with some regions got city and some region names?
My autism forces me to rename all of them, which is kind of hard work once the empire grows :D
Because some areas have more than one important city within its confines and thus aren't named after one important city. Some regions lack good region-names altogether or have too big provinces to be named after just once city.

On the subject of Italian regions, and Lombardy in particular: Milan is a very dense province, containing at least four cities that had more than 5,000 inhabitants as of 1500 (Milan, 100,000; Pavia, 16,000; Como, 10,000; Vigevano, 10,000); Cremona, too, can count at least two (Cremona itself, 40,000; and Lodi, 8,000). Brescia, too, counts at least three - Brescia, 48,000; Bergamo, 15,000; and Crema, 9,000.

As French vassals are confirmed to be back on map, it would be a great idea to make a tag for Occitania, formable nation for countries with Gascon or Occitan primary culture.

@neondt

Culture conversion with syncretised/harmonised faiths, primitive status, trade companies and railroading. I can do this every week.

What? +50% production efficiency for 50 dev works the same, regardless if it's split between 3 provinces or 7. Splitting it between more provinces only means more money to be spent on buildings to get the same bonus.

Sure, but if you care to read the whole post, you will find out other benefits of having more lower dev provinces rather than fewer higher dev provinces in states with similar development.

Two things; first, I'm new to this forum and don't know how to quote posts very well, but I've read your reply, neondt. Thanks for that.

Secondly, I know you said you think it's unlikely, but how would it negatively affect gameplay? I was thinking something along the lines of this
PtJSZGW

https://imgur.com/a/PtJSZGW (if my attempt at linking the photo doesn't work)

Not only would it give lots more flavour and be much more historically accurate given the Channel Islands had a different owner to the province of Constetin on the mainland during this entire period, but I think it would open up a Heck of a lot of other gameplay options. Given a land connection between the Channel Islands and Constetin would give the English/British a province that is controllable by sea (players could block the straight in war) and thus it could be used as a foothold in future wars against France (once/if) the Hundred Years War is lost - if France takes the Channel Islands, the English/British can use it as a war goal in future wars, land troops there, and prevent the French from attacking with their navy to give them that ticking war score. Currently this can't be done with Calais, or the other lost English provinces on the mainland, for example.

It shaves a tiny bit of development off France if England can keep it.

It would prevent the English/British being able to fabricate claims directly on Brittany unless they controlled the Channel Islands, giving them even more strategic influence.

It gives the English/British another sea square to patrol, making avoiding the British Navy a tiny bit easier.

It gives you guys a decent province with great event possibilities without having to arbitrarily divide a French province.

If France takes the Channel Islands, it would help increase the importance of navies when fighting France - if any of France's enemies could control the seas, they could land a beachhead there and threaten France proper which would require the French to keep troops there. France would have to think about its navy AND its army.

I don't know, it just seems to have a Heck of a lot of possibilities in such a great location between two major powers.

Maybe I missed something (I have been away a while) but isn't adding more provinces and/ or tags just more content and no real change to game mechanics what was asked for by community? I guess we have to wait a bit longer. Disappointed though.
If you introduce a new mechanic where the player/ AI can split provinces based on some prerequisites I would say yeah, That's a interesting change. You know, new dynamic/ strategic features. Just my thought :)
Also stating that patch 1.4 is somehow "primitive" is at least highly debatable looking at patch 1.28. Just saying ;-)