EU4 Dev Clash #11 - Baltic Elephants - Tuesdays 15:00 CET

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Groogy

Fossilized Platypus
140 Badges
Sep 4, 2009
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For The Glory
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Lead and Gold
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Ancient Space
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • East India Company Collection
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Sengoku
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Cities in Motion
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • March of the Eagles
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • King Arthur II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Impire
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
EU4Dharma-devclash.png

It's time to start up the next round of the weekly developer multiplayer clash!
For this season we will be playing with hot-code fresh from the oven. You'll all get a sneak peak on the making of Dharma so expect crashes and out of synchs! We will also play with a bit of a twist to how we score things this time around.

We will continue having Trophies for placement 1 to 3, these will be accompanied with 2 new rewards, Fan favorite and the best Newcomer, both of these will be decided by voting. Fans will get to vote on fan favorite and participants in the dev clash will get to vote on who they think is the best newcomer!

The score this session is a cumulative number of points per Age "Mario Kart System". At the end of each Age, you will be granted up to 10 points depending on how many points you scored. You will then have your score cleared and started anew for the next age. Player with the highest total of points from the 4 ages, maximum of 40, will be declared number one. An eliminated player will be given a new nation for the next session, but keep any Age points they have earned as their previous nation.

When?
Every Tuesday at 15:00CET! Starting on Tuesday the 29th of May 2018!

Where can I watch this live?
https://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive

Where can I watch previous streams that I missed?
Either on our Paradox Grand Strategy Youtube Channel, or the Twitch VOD archive.
If you want to see our new stuff we have a new channel dedicated specifically for our Grand Strategy games!
Subscribe to ParadoxExtra Grand Strategy Channel!

Even though our fresh meat got beaten around most of them have returned for this season again! Player Profiles are not quite finished yet thanks to PDXCON so for now you'll get a blurred out version of where everyone have been placed.

map.png

updating this post as time goes on

Starting countries:

Arheo: Hormuz
Neondt: Gujarat
Trin Tragula: Malwa
Sidestep: Scotland
Johan: Hungary
Duplo: Papal State
Mikesc: Bavaria
OMFGBLONDIE: Ethiopia
R_lazer: Orissa
TheLetterZ: Venice
Pizzicato: Afghanistan
Dnote: Gorkha
Egladil: Kotte
The French Paradox: Burgundy
Hagerhink: Punjab
Millenss: Purtugal
Guiseppe Garibaldi: Genoa
Sterling: Livonian Order
Katz: Hamburg
KaiserJohan: Ditmarschen
Bratyn: Holland
theDa9l: Friesland
Sirrebirre: Pomerania
Wazp: Norway
Bus: Sweden
Para_Rod: Naples

Arheo: Hormuz
Neondt: Gujarat
Trin Tragula: Malwa
Sidestep: Dai Viet (Was Scotland)
Johan: none (was Hungary)
Duplo: Papal State
Mikesc: Bavaria
OMFGBLONDIE: Ethiopia
R_lazer: Orissa
TheLetterZ: Venice
Pizzicato: none (was Afghanistan)
Dnote: Nepal < Limbuwan (was Gorkha)
Egladil: Kale (was Kotte)
The French Paradox: Burgundy
Hagerhink: none (was Punjab)
Millenss: Purtugal
Guiseppe Garibaldi: Genoa
Sterling: Prussia < Livonian Order
Katz: Kilwa (Was Hamburg)
KaiserJohan: Ditmarschen
Bratyn: Netherlands < Holland
theDa9l: Theodoro (was Friesland)
Sirrebirre: Pomerania
Wazp: Norway
Bus: Sweden
Para_Rod: Naples
Green Gradus: Saxony (joined session 2)

Basically confirmed:

1: Hormuz: Arheo
2: Gujarat: neondt
3: Malwa: Trin Tragula
4: Scotland: sidestep
12: Gorkha: Dnote
20: Ditmarschen: KaiserJohan
25: Sweden: Bus

I expect the following

9: Orissa: r_lazer
14: The French Paradox
17: Genoa: Guiseppe Garibaldi

Random guesses by me or others which I can see at least a bit:

2: Gujarat: BjornB
5: Hungary: Johan (not sure they would give him a bigger country though it could be rng)
7: Bavaria: Groogy
8: Ethiopia: omfgBlondie
16: Portugal: millenss
18: Livonian Order: Sirrebirre
19: Hamburg: Katz
23: Pomerania: Servancour

According to other people, which I don't really see or haven't looked at yet

8: Ethiopia: KaiserJohan
10: Venice : KaiserJohan, TheLetterZ
18: Livonian order: StarNaN
21: Holland: Bratyn

Comrades - the Revolution starts here! Down with the Tyrants who would see us shackled!

Also found this epic meme linked on EU4 reddit, shoutout to whoever made it

KSOntXS.jpg

Decended from the great Rishi-raj Rana-ji, of the lunar dynasty, our leader, the mighty Shah, will bring glory to our people and drive out the vile muslims that have taken so much from us.

To our north, the mountain dwellers look on enviously at our fair valleys and the fertile lands beyond. To the south, the oppressive kingdoms of the muslim pose an inevitable threat, though their attentions are focused on each other for now. East and west lie the other fortified kingdoms that govern over our common people. It is them, that we will look to conquer first, to secure the freedom of our brethren and increase our strength for the coming wars.

There are potential allies further to the south, we hear rumors that the people of Punjab seek to free themselves from their overlords in Delhi. And the peoples of Gujarat, Malwa and Orissa may be seeking support from the increasing threats of Bahmanis, Bengal and Vijayanagar. Time will tell though, for they are far, with many dangers between us.

We are great people, we, are Gorkha. And united, we will be unstoppable.

Court of Mandu - The City of Joy & Pleasure - Home of the Khalji Sultans

One day it would be said that If there is one thing the Khalji sultans of Malwa enjoyed it was food and the good things in life. While this was true for Mahmud Khalji himself, the founder of the dynasty, it drove his ambition rather than leading to the complacency that his successor would be accused of.
At times he would spend hours in the higher parts of the mountain fortress of Mandu, just watching the surrounding countryside, and all the land he desired to own. From the hills of Rewa Kantha, with the infamous fortress of Pavagadh above Champaner to the Tapti river valley and the Deccan upland beyond it.
As a self made man Mahmud had spent most of his time setting up his kingdom for success. In the wake of the Delhi Sultanate's fall, and the sack of its capital by Amir Timur, India had been up for the taking. To the north, east and south a myriad of minor Rajas and Sultans had realized that this was their time. Mahmud and the other Malwa Sultans had been the men to extinguish many such dreams and now their influence extended from Kalpi on the border of the northern Jaunpuri plain to the Gond hills of Garha-Mandla and even further south Kherla.
Of course the Malwa Sultanate was not without rivals. To the west the maritime kingdom of Gujarat was a potential rival, and further south the Bahmani sultans were said to be rich beyond the wildest dreams of any man. In the far north the Sultan of Jaunpur had usurped much of what was once the Delhi heartland, right at the doorstep of Malwa's vassal kings in Kalpi and Mahoba.
Today Mahmud Shah's thoughts were not on Gonds or other Sultans however. Today he was looking north at the hated state of Mewar, the Rajput kingdom that had recently and humiliatingly defeated him, and which had now just gone through a bloody internal struggle.
All this made Mahmud Shah hungry...

View attachment 373340

(Note:
I may or may not have taken some liberties with how far the view of Mandu actually takes you - perhaps the power hungry sultan has powers of perception, or ambitious fantasies, beyond what physics would lead us to assume)

Scotland.png

Scotland has no time for fancy words and long speeches. Suffice to say; no longer will we suffer the oppression of the English tyrants. Our independence was hard won and we will not surrender it, we shall repel them time and time again and when Scottish soil has drunk enough English blood to be satisfied we shall march south and show them the true meaning of Scottish freedom!

tumblr_njivqjIxio1t55xupo1_500.gif

View attachment 374105

His Majestys graceful Declaration:
We hereby declare the union between the Kingdom of Sweden and the Kingdom of Norway. May God protect the United Kingdoms of Sweden and Norway!

EDIT: Holy shit that turned out big :)

Pretty sure this is how it went right?

Io9rxj2.png

Summing up North German diplomacy:
UyLyvt7.png

Court of Mandu - The City of Joy & Pleasure - Home of the Khalji Sultans
In 30 years Mahmud Khalji had tirelessly worked to realize his plan for the expansion of the Malwa Sultanate. The plateau itself was now a far richer and more populous place, with the ancient central city of Ujjain growing to become the largest city in the world. A beacon of Malvi and Rajput culture, Khalji patronage and a model city for the new state being built by Mahmud Khalji.
While Malwa was, and remained, a Muslim state, the Malwa sultanate had become the major leader of the North Indian Rajput houses. Rival powers such as the Sisodiya kingdom of Mewar had been crushed in the years prior, and the mighty fortress of Chittorgarh torn down stone by stone. At the same time Rajputs were now one of the most influential groups within the Sultanate itself. Most military appointments were in the hands of the Rajput houses and even many government appointments. Balancing the needs of the Muslim Amirs and the Rajput nobles could become troublesome eventually, but Mahmud Khalji's success had shown the world that it could be done.
Mending the old rivalry with Gujarat had in many ways been instrumental to the success of Mahmud, and by now both countries had emerged as dominant powers in central India. The downfall of the Bahmani Sultanate a few years prior had made this evident to all.
The Sultanate was now in control of almost the entire trade route between the Doab in the north and the southern trade ports in Deccan. The old forts of Gwalior and Ranthambore in Malvi hands any Delhian traders wishing to reach the Hajj ports in Gujarat or the Tamil lands now had to pay tolls. Perhaps most appetizing of all conquests however were the Diamond mines of Golconda in the south. Ensuring that no other power on earth had access to the precious stones of the calibre that the Khalji court did. Together with the great Opium fields of the Malwa plateau itself it did much for the country's reputation as a source of all expensive things.
Of course, with this southern lifeline secured the lush northern plain around the Ganges and Yamuna looked even more inviting...

a07d7979dbc015d99b07d5b3e4601c83.jpg

At 56 Mahmud Khalji was happy, but still hungry.

They tell us of the Italian League! People of Italy united under one banner!

View attachment 376834

An exciting second clash.

Speaking of which, my regards to the heroic Punjab and Nepali players. While things didn't ultimately turn out as planned, their counter-invasion of Afghanistan inspired me to make some fan art when I saw elephants crossing the HImalays:

index.php

Or perhaps better conveyed in Polandball form:

index.php

(PS: Punjab is reading "The Campaigns of Hannibal")

Shaping up to be another great clash! Keep up the good work!

My thoughts about this campaign right now...
Reference to StarNaN's art.

Nu0GCU3.png

Trustinder

c92854bf2a.png

edit: uploaded to 3rd party site for easier viewing

Rip peasants again
Obligatory Johan.jpg

CL72Scg.jpg

I had to make this :p

sjo9mO7.png

Johan, you have betrayed the sacred trust of the people not just once, but twice. How could you? First you sold them out to the very capitalist forces you had sworn to oppose, and now you have embraced absolute personal power as well?

Kim Johan Un, I name you!

LknbkPs.png

Meanwhile, Kaiser Johan betrays the republic once again... One could almost call him a Caesar Imperator Bonaparte ;)Non-etymologically contentious democracy usurper from the new world - El Presidente!

index.php
[

The adventures of Dithmarschen:

index.php

Image #1: Kaiser Johan looking forward to being a peasant republic. He's optimistic about the future and ready for an adventure
Image #2: Hamburg tries backstabbing Dithmarschen. Dithmarschen tries frantically to explain that he doesn't really want to be backstabbed, which annoys Hamburg somewhat.
Image #3: Dithmarschen has turned into an oligarchic republic. Oh my...
Image #4: Dithmarschen has to pay the corrupt oligarchy in order to let the peasants take over again.
Image #5: Dithmarschen sails to the New World. What new wonders await?
Image #6: Dithmarschen builds some nice new lodgings for his trusty peasants.
Image #7: Dithmarschen faces overwhelming force, but manages to beat one opponent while holding off the other! Good job Dithmarschen!
Image #8: Dithmarschen has turned into a dictatorship! Oh my...

What new adventures will Kaiser Johan face in the future? Only time will tell!

PS: Kaiser Johan, please make up your mind about which eye the monocle should be covering...

index.php

Pope Clemens marches in Constatinople. (colorized)

devclash4.png

P.s. Bratyn, what would you like as an avatar for freeing the Welsh from the Scottish Yoke?​

I think it's this
22.jpg

Meanwhile Kaiser Johan managed to complete his hat trick (three timer) betrayal of the peasant republic. Who could have thought that putting someone named Kaiser Johan in charge of peasants would result in himself becoming their monarch? Although his seemingly ironic dilemma of needing to keep Dictator Protector Marcus Boie alive in order to rebuild his republican tradition to try and retain democracy did get me thinking of what sort of scenario could produce this, especially since the new ruler (Duke Henning von Frickingen) was not of Marcus' dynasty. So I give you my (very amateur) fan fact comic to try to explain my head canon (read left to right):

index.php

Good luck to all and keep fighting the good fight!

devclash5.png

Also, here is Bratyn's bounty for a free Wales:
bratyn.png

...followed by a not so free Wales.​

Week 1: page 11

IT'S TUESDAY!

Week 2: page 17

Week 2 begins in 2 hours!

Week 3: page 24

I made it before the clash started!

Week 4: page 34

Week 5: page 41

Last edited:
Hey, thanks!!
Will the fans vote on Twitch during the live session? Or somewhere else? I love the initiative btw.
I hope that there is no juggernaut country to start with (so far, apparently not) otherwise, it's too easy to score during the first age if you play Ming, France, Ottomans, Castille etc

It's starting next week!! Sweeeeeet :)

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Unblurred names or riot! ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Edit: Portugal seems to have the easiest start imho. No human challengers anywhere close nearby. No challenger for colonies in South America either.

Last edited:
I'm really excited and crossing my fingers for Blondie to survive in this madness! ;)

Is nobody else worried that Ethiopia is going to be too isolated and thus too powerfull by the time they meet other players?

I suspect it will be one of the newer players, in which case he/she might be kept busy by AI Ottomans. You see threads asking how to handle them as Ethiopia popping up fairly regularly here.

Can't wait to see the Baltiphants in action :D