• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

cleef

Captain
May 8, 2014
It would be very interesting if, in the fleet panel, we would also have a button that allows your fleet to enter/raid the enemy port.

My suggestion is based on the Raid on the Medway (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raid_on_the_Medway).

I guess, if there are no enemy ships it could just loot the province (let's say 10-15% of the wealth) and if there are, a battle will take place. You could make it so that one could send his fleet to attack the port even if the forces inside are larger, kind of like a suicide mission that might serve some strategic purposes later on.

I guess, provinces could also have a modifier, like the fort level could apply to the port and provide some defense bonus.

I think it's something that is really doable in the game and would be a very nice feature.

Reactions:
Upvote 0
I like the idea of a fleet being able to engage/attack a docked fleet in port, but as for looting...

What mechanic would exist to prevent ships from raiding a province over and over? Would there be some kind of cooldown timer for the fleet itself or the province or both? How do we gauge the ablity of a fleet to loot? Is it modified by fort level, ship type, garrison strength, technology...? Would ships be damaged or have a chance to be damaged?

Well, as perhaps you have noticed with Common Sense, every province now has a pool of ducats that can be looted (it can get depleted and replenished). My idea would be for a fleet to only be able to loot a small percentage (10-15%) of the total amount of ducats in the province per raiding mission.

Think of it this way, when an enemy fleet would enter a port, you can be sure that they might cause some damage to the infrastructure and/or pillage and plunder some ships, therefore transforming this into loot and perhaps, could even give a negative temporary modifier to the province that hosts the port.

If you're asking whether ships could be damaged during a port battle, then, yes, of course, it should behave like a normal battle, but some modifiers could be thrown in (like a defense bonus for the defending fleet).

Also, one other idea is that the button itself would cost, say 10 MIL power, to use, and it would only trigger if you press it which then, in turn, would launch:
- a naval port battle (if there are enemy ships in port)
- a raiding mission if the port is empty
- a naval port battle followed by a raiding mission once the battle is over

The naval port battle should just be a normal naval battle with some modifiers thrown in (like the bonus that the defending fleet MIGHT receive) while the raiding mission can just be an event that triggers and gives you a certain percentage of loot (or nothing maybe) or there can be made a link with the new looting mechanic that CS introduced.

I like the idea of a fleet being able to engage/attack a docked fleet in port, but as for looting...

What mechanic would exist to prevent ships from raiding a province over and over?

The mechanic would be "having a good fleet so you don't lose control of your cost" and possibly "ships take damage from any coastal batteries (building) built in that province

Losing control of your territorial waters should be an abject disaster -- because they were. There's a reason the British were as awesomely powerful as they were IRL. No more simply being able to ignore blockades.

The mechanic would be "having a good fleet so you don't lose control of your cost" and possibly "ships take damage from any coastal batteries (building) built in that province

Losing control of your territorial waters should be an abject disaster -- because they were. There's a reason the British were as awesomely powerful as they were IRL. No more simply being able to ignore blockades.

I think you misunderstand. What would you propose to prevent a player who has a fleet off the coast of a province with no fleet in port from spamming the "raid port" button over and over and over again? Travel time into/out of port is very quick. What's the limiting factor here? Do ports have siege timers? Is there a cooldown? Should fleets have a loot bar like in CK2 and once they begin a raid they take all available loot until they're full?

First of all, as I said in my last post, the button would cost an amount of military power to use (that's kind of a limitation right there...). I'm sure other things can be done to not allow someone to go crazy raiding the same port over and over again.

An internal cooldown can be added to the button itself (1 raid per month, or something like that), or to the province/port allowing it to be raided just one time per month, or so.
Or, once a port has been raided, it can get a negative modifier that will provide temporary negative bonuses to the province owner (to make up for the damage that an enemy fleet has made) but it should also prevent the enemy from raiding again, giving him a message saying something like "This port has already been raided".

The lootable ducats can be part of the loot pool of the province BUT when raiding a port you will only loot about 10-15% of that amount, or it can be made into an event that awards you between 0 and some percentage of loot based on statistics of the province (production, tax rate, etc.)

Reactions: