• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((I want to sell my Campina cement, Castilla la Nueva Cement and Granada glass factory.

This should give me 16 AP which combined with my current AP gives me 22 AP.

Next, I want to spend 8 AP on VP for the next election, leaving me with 14 AP.

Next, I buy a Cement, Glass and Fabric Factory in Guangdong. This leaves me with 8 AP.

For the rest of the AP, I want it spent upgrading my factories.

I looked in the rules and there doesn't seem to be a point where upgrading costs more per level anymore. If so, I want to spend the AP upgrading my venetia and Sicily factories whenever possible. If those are in the middle of an upgrade, my cement, glass and fabric factories can be upgraded, in that order of importance. If nessecary use all of my AP for this.))

@Michaelangelo
((Sorry I haven't gotten around to posting or responding to anything, but I've been busy preparing for next week. Speaking of which, I'll be standing royal guard for the next two weeks so once again I'll be gone and once again I'll not be able to post for a while :p))

((Are Swedish royal guards like the British ones where you stand around all day with funny hats on and tourists pestering you? :p))

((I want to sell my Campina cement, Castilla la Nueva Cement and Granada glass factory.

This should give me 16 AP which combined with my current AP gives me 22 AP.

Next, I want to spend 8 AP on VP for the next election, leaving me with 14 AP.

Next, I buy a Cement, Glass and Fabric Factory in Guangdong. This leaves me with 8 AP.

For the rest of the AP, I want it spent upgrading my factories.

I looked in the rules and there doesn't seem to be a point where upgrading costs more per level anymore. If so, I want to spend the AP upgrading my venetia and Sicily factories whenever possible. If those are in the middle of an upgrade, my cement, glass and fabric factories can be upgraded, in that order of importance. If nessecary use all of my AP for this.))

((Your math is a little off. You only gain 15AP, since your glass factory is still only level 5. Ongoing expansions don't count. That means you have 21AP after selling those, leaving you with 13AP after buying election VP. I'm not sure how you went from 14AP to 8AP from purchasing three factories. They cost 4AP each under laissez-faire, not 2AP. So that leaves you with 1AP to upgrade your factories. Do you still want to upgrade a factory, and if so, which one?))

((Are Swedish royal guards like the British ones where you stand around all day with funny hats on and tourists pestering you? :p))

((Your math is a little off. You only gain 15AP, since your glass factory is still only level 5. Ongoing expansions don't count. That means you have 21AP after selling those, leaving you with 13AP after buying election VP. I'm not sure how you went from 14AP to 8AP from purchasing three factories. They cost 4AP each under laissez-faire, not 2AP. So that leaves you with 1AP to upgrade your factories. Do you still want to upgrade a factory, and if so, which one?))

((Wait let me rethink the sales and purchases for a bit))

There are many aspects of Hispanian law that have either been neglected or have been defined under so many different laws over the decades that the topic becomes muddled and confusing. I believe our justice system to be one of the latter. I have drafted a law on our justice system that's purpose is four-fold.

First, it combines all the various acts that have established our modern justice system. From the Justice Act of 1773 to the Independence of Jurisdiction Act, I have sifted through them and melded them together into one cohesive act. Many of the clauses merely repeat what was said in those acts, such as the powers and responsibilities of the National Court, the requirements for becoming a judge, and the independence of the judiciary. If something worked, then it was kept and re-purposed in this new act.

Second, I have attempted to remove the many inconsistencies within our laws governing our justice system and updated the parts that have since become outdated. For example, Section III of the Citizenship Act, 1816 states that Hispanian Citizens have the right to vote in elections for the retention of judges, yet nowhere in our laws does it mention that judges are elected, so thus Hispanians are given the right to participate in elections that do not exist. I believe it best to remove this pointless right, especially since I do not believe it wise to make judges elected, for that infringes on the independence and impartiality of the judiciary by making them dependent on public opinion to maintain their positions, even when that conflicts with what the law dictates. I have also changed the municipal courts to become prefectural courts to fit with our improved administration, for I believe the municipalities are far too small and numerous to require their own courts. Raising them to the prefectural level will put less strain on our judicial system by requiring far less judges to operate and give the lesser courts greater scope and resources.

Third, the legal rights of Hispanian Citizens has been improved, and there are better definitions for what protections are provided for those involved in a trial. Hispanian Citizens should not be detained unlawfully and have a right to an attorney if accused of a crime. Greater definition for what circumstances can lead to a mistrial or new trial have been included. The protection of jurors' identities introduced the idea that those involved in a trial are due some form of protections, and I believe that should be extended to include children, as well as the prosecution and defence if the case is sensitive enough. There should also be measures put in place to ensure public opinion and other facts do not impact the outcome of a trial. This is all designed to ensure that the judicial system remains unbiased and uninfluenced by outside factors.

Fourth and finally, there have been problems in the past where uncertainty arose as to what sentence certain crimes should warrant. One solution to this would be to dictate what sentence each type of crime requires, but this would not be able to account for the particulars of each case and infringe on the independence of the judiciary. Instead, I have provided recommended sentences for several crimes. These are explicitly stated as not being binding, and are merely there to guide judges and juries when making a final decision on sentencing. This should better help reduce inconsistencies in sentencing, while also permit the judicial system the freedom necessary to adjust sentences based on specific circumstances. Seeing as I lack the time or knowledge to adequately define sentences for every crime imaginable, I have designed this section to permit for easy additions and amendments, so Parliament may in the future add more recommended sentences for additional crimes without having to amend other sections of the act. I have also included a section for civil law, so if anyone wishes to tackle the specifics of divorce, custody battles, and other similar topics, they may choose to do so in the future.

The Hispanian Code of Law
((Fundamental))​

Preamble – This Code of Laws, henceforth known as the Code, shall provide procedures for the interpretation and implementation of criminal and civil law and recommended sentences for common crimes. The Code shall not infringe on the independence of the judiciary to decide the outcome of trials other than providing guidelines for their decisions and a means to conduct trials. Any crime not mentioned shall be tried as it was prior to the implementation of the Code.

Section A – Introduction

I. Sections V to VI shall be revoked from the Justice Act of 1773.

II. The Judicial System Reform Act shall be revoked in its entirety.

III. Section III of the Citizenship Act, 1816, shall be revoked.

IV. The Independence of Jurisdiction Act and its amendment shall be revoked.

V. Parliament may propose additional recommended sentences for Sections E and F. These additions, along with all recommended sentences in this act, shall be considered as major laws instead of fundamental.

Section B – Courts

I. The judicial system shall contain three levels from lowest to highest: prefectural, provincial, and national.

II. Prefectural courts shall replace the old municipal courts, with one created for each Prefecture. They shall handle any cases of a local nature and shall serve as the initial court to address grievances.

III. Provincial courts shall remain as they previously existed, with one for every province. They shall handle any cases of a provincial nature and serve as a court of appeal for the prefectural courts within its jurisdiction.

IV. The National Court of Hispania shall remain as it previously existed, consisting of nine judges and located in Valencia. It shall handle any cases of a national nature and serve as the final court of appeal. No case put before the National Court can be appealed without significant enough reason, such as a mistrial or overwhelming new evidence.

Section C – Judges

I. All judges must have at least five years’ worth of legal experience and have completed a recognized legal program at a Hispanian university.

II. A Judicial Advisory Committee shall be created for each state to present candidates to serve as judges for all prefectural and provincial courts within their state. Each Judicial Advisory Committee shall consist of representatives of the local State Assembly, Parliament, the Ministry of Justice, the judiciary, the legal profession, and the public.

III. The Lieutenant-Governor of each prefecture shall appoint the judges for their local prefectural court from amongst a list of recommended candidates from their state’s Judicial Advisory Committee.

IV. The Governor-General of each state shall appoint the judges for each provincial court within their state from amongst a list of recommended candidates from their state’s Judicial Advisory Committee.

V. The Crown shall appoint all judges for the National Court of Hispania. All candidates for the National Court must have served as a judge for at least five years in a lower court. The various Judicial Advisory Committees may provide recommendations for potential judges for the National Court if they wish.

Section D – Legal Rights & Trials

I. No Hispanian Citizen may be arrested without a warrant or detained without probable cause. Any alleged violations against this may be brought before a court of law.

II. All Hispanian Citizens are entitled to a trial by a jury of their peers.

III. All Hispanian Citizens are entitled to an attorney. If a Hispanian Citizen is to be tried in a court of law and cannot afford to hire a defence lawyer, the state shall provide a court-appointed attorney.

IV. The press may not publish any information regarding ongoing trials that may greatly influence court proceedings or the outcome of the trial, reveal the identity of the prosecution, defence, or any witnesses before the conclusion of the trial without the state’s permission, reveal the identify of any jurors or anyone accused of a crime who is underage, or expose confidential evidence.

V. If significant evidence arises that a judge is biased or being influenced, including but not limited to accepting bribes, known associations to either the prosecution or defence, etc., then the trial will be considered a mistrial and be redone with a new judge.

VI. The judiciary is considered independent of the administration, meaning that the verdict of any judge cannot be influenced or overturned, although it can be appealed if conducted in a lower court. A verdict may only be reconsidered if new solid evidence is found that places doubt on the validity of the verdict or circumstances lead to a mistrial, in which case a new trial shall be held.

VII. The Crown may choose to pardon any individual convicted of a crime, although it is recommended this only be done in instances where a criminal act was committed with pure intentions or motive.

VIII. Any child (person 15 or younger) accused of a crime or serving as a witness must be accompanied by a legal guardian during court proceedings. Their names may not be made public at any point during or after the trial. In recognition of their age, the judge and any jury is recommended to consider a lesser sentence than those recommended below for any child convicted of a crime.

Section E – Criminal Law

I. In all the below clauses, the recommended sentences are based on the average case involving the crime in question. Due to the unique nature of each case and the varying circumstances of each crime, none of these sentences are binding and any judge or jury may use them as a guideline.

II. Anyone who hired or paid another to commit a crime or was involved in the planning of a crime shall receive the same sentence as if they had committed the crime themselves.

III. The crime of treason shall warrant a death sentence.

IV. The crime of murder, defined as the act of taking another’s life, shall warrant a sentence dependent on the degree of severity. Murder shall be divided into three separate degrees.
a) First degree murder shall include any form of murder considered premeditated with the intent to cause bodily harm resulting in death or as a result of a dangerous or violent crime believed to likely result in death. This crime shall warrant a death sentence or 25 or more years in prison.
b) Second degree murder shall include any form of murder with the intent to cause bodily harm resulting in death but that is not premeditated. This crime shall warrant 10 or more years in prison.
c) Third degree murder shall include any form of murder committed as a crime of passion, defined as any murder with no prior intent to kill as a result of circumstances considered to cause any reasonable person to become emotionally or mentally disturbed, or where death is the result of an accident. This crime shall warrant anywhere from a fine to up to 10 years in prison.
V. The crime of assault, defined as the act of attempting to initiate harmful or offensive contact with another or threaten to do so, as well as battery, defined as the act of unlawful physical harm inflicted upon another, shall warrant a fine and/or up to 10 years in prison.

VI. The crime of theft, defined as the act of illegally taking another’s property without consent, shall warrant a fine equal to or more than the value of that which was stolen and/or up to 5 years in prison.

VII. The crime of robbery, defined as the act of taking or attempting to take anything of value by force or threat of force, shall warrant a fine equal to or more than the value of that which was stolen or to be stolen and/or up to 10 years in prison.

VIII. The crime of burglary, defined as unlawful entry into another’s property with the purpose of committing a crime, shall warrant a fine equal to or more than the value of any property damaged during the act and/or up to 5 years in prison.

Section F – Civil Law

I. In all the below clauses, the recommended sentences or verdicts are based on the average case involving the situation in question. Due to the unique nature of each case and the varying circumstances of each case, none of these sentences or verdicts are binding and any judge or jury may use them as a guideline.

I have attempted to be comprehensive with this law to cover the various aspects of our judicial system. If there appears to be anything missing, I shall make the necessary changes. This is meant to improve upon our already excellent judicial system.

- His Royal Highness, Crown Prince Alfons de Trastámara, Duke of Roma

Last edited:
((I just realized this, and I need to say, I am offended by your title referencing a "Lucrezia Cult." As has been stated multiple times, Lucrezianism is a valid sect of Christianity. I would thank you to change this offensive title.))

((Being a valid sect of Christianity doesn't mean it's not a cult ;) ))

The Ministry of Education shall complete it's current research plans. Following that the ministry shall prioritize work on Iron Steamers as soon as it is able and has made the appropriate preparations(swap from whatever we are working on when 1860 hits) Until that time work on Positivism.

- Justice: Pacifism, ngotiations, not killing anyone. Suppress only nationalists and only the ones with +55% support.

- Colonial Affairs: Colonize Northwest Territories in Canada. In the Amazon, with Sanchonia recieving the most, and Nueva Granada recieves two provinces that are considered part of their already owned states. Sanchonia gives its only province in Guyana to Nueva Granada which controls the rest. The Ministry calls for another meeting of the Colonial Congress for the next year to discuss some land rearrangements ((Can I say the points I want to be discussed in the next meeting or is it just random?))

Last edited:
((Being a valid sect of Christianity doesn't mean it's not a cult ;) ))

The Ministry of Education shall complete it's current research plans. Following that the ministry shall prioritize work on Iron Steamers as soon as it is able and has made the appropriate preparations(swap from whatever we are working on when 1860 hits) Until that time work on Positivism.
((Obviously, I'm inclined to disagree. :p))

((Private))
Juan came back to Galicia at the night, the day was a disaster, he knew he cloudnt be in a government because people still remembered his father and what he did in Valencia. But still he had a massive influence as creator of the Conservador-Cristiano he decided to instead put a puppet of the Cortz in the command of the party until Carlos is ready.

((Public))

Juan announces resignation from politics, instead the leadership of the C-C will pass to Felipe Gastão, Baron of Algarves.

((My new main))

Name: Felipe Gastão de Borgonha-Braganza
Date of Birth: 09/04/1823
Class: Nobility
Religion: Catholic
House: Cortz
Party: Conservador-Cristiano
Bio: Felipe was raised by his father Miguel during his infancy at Portugal, he received education from a tutor that taught him many history and literary knowledges, after this he went to the Military University of Valencia where he ended up as one of the best in the class, he became a famous lawyer until his father died and he took the Barony being appointed as a Cortz member, a great opportunity appeared as Juan de La Cuesta e Silva gave him the leadership that was accepted after a quick party consult.

His views align with much of the Traditional Right like Moralism, Limited Citizenship, Militarism, and Interventionism, but he is a believer in free trade. But he don't know that he is being manipulated as a puppet of Juan.

Last edited:
The Corps naming System shall be undone and the military will return to the Exercit system of the past. In addition, a new Exercit shall be raised and stationed in Hedjaz. Captain General de Alicante is to be appointed Assistant Field Marshal and Lieutenant General de León promoted to Captain General.

((Not sure if I needed to fill the assistant Field Marshal position or not, so I decided to fill it anyway. If I shouldn't, I'll edit accordingly in the morning.))

((FYI if you don't plan to use as much of 1859 as possible to pile up research points for empiricism once 1860 hits, it's an objectively a bad plan.

Ok, so here is my new plan factory plan.

(Sell just enough railways to cover extra costs of this plan, starting with foreign railways.)

Sell Campaina and Castilla la Nueva Cement factories.

Build a cement and glass factory in Guangdong.

Spend 8 AP on future election.

When this plan is finished, I should be left with zero AP until the next turn.))

((Private))
Juan came back to Galicia at the night, the day was a disaster, he knew he cloudnt be in a government because people still remembered his father and what he did in Valencia. But still he had a massive influence as creator of the Conservador-Cristiano he decided to instead put a puppet of the Cortz in the command of the party until Carlos is ready.

((Public))

Juan announces resignation from politics, instead the leadership of the C-C will pass to Felipe Gastão, Conde of Algarves.

((My new main))

Name: Felipe Gastão de Borgonha-Braganza
Date of Birth: 09/04/1823
Class: Nobility
Religion: Catholic
House: Cortz
Party: Conservador-Cristiano
Bio: Felipe was raised by his father Miguel during his infancy at Portugal, he received education from a tutor that taught him many history and literary knowledges, after this he went to the university of Lisboa where he ended up as one of the best in the class, he became a famous lawyer until his father died and he took the county being appointed as a Cortz member, a great opportunity appeared as Juan de La Cuesta e Silva gave him the leadership that was accepted after a quick party consult.

His views align with much of the Traditional Right like Moralism, Limited Citizenship, Militarism, and Interventionism, but he is a believer in free trade. But he don't know that he is being manipulated as a puppet of Juan.

((Before I approve your character, I just need you to change his title. Each player can only have one character/family with a title of the rank count or higher. This is to prevent title hoarding. Just make him a baron and that'll be fine.))

((ok, I promise this is the last order, I've accurately calculated the costs too.

Sell:
Campina cement: 4 AP
Castilla la Nueva Cement: 5 AP
2 Foreign Railways: 1 AP

Total sell value: 10 AP

Balance: 16 AP

Purchase:
Election VP: 8 AP
Guangdong Cement: 4 AP
Guangdong Glass: 4 AP
Total Purchase Value: 16 AP

Balance: 0 AP))

((Can't believe I forgot to consider Gunagdong for industrial development with its population. Please could I build a lumber mill in Guangdong? (if I understand correctly, that would be 4AP for Laissez Faire+3AP for 19 factories/5? (or does it round up?)

Also, sorry, how much does it cost to re-open a factory?))

Last edited:
((FYI if you don't plan to use as much of 1859 as possible to pile up research points for empiricism once 1860 hits, it's an objectively a bad plan.))

((That hardly has any relevance for what Duke Spoleto would decide to do. For all we know, he could happily research Romanticism - obviously useless as we don't need prestige techs - and nobody would care.

BTW, now that factories have a value again, could I spend the AP Lluis had accumulated? IIRC, he had 8 AP available which I would have spent on a factory.))

((Can't believe I forgot to consider Gunagdong for industrial development with its population. Please could I build a lumber mill in Guangdong? (if I understand correctly, that would be 4AP for Laissez Faire+3AP for 19 factories/5? (or does it round up?)

Also, sorry, how much does it cost to re-open a factory?))
((@Michaelangelo, does the fact that I'm encouraging the wood industry in Guangdong reduce AP cost for Sancronis's factory?))

Last edited: