• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Alfons entered his father's chambers. The King was lying in bed, as pale as the sheets around him. He smiled though when he spotted his son and beckoned for him to step forward. Alfons sat down on the bed beside his father, cradling the King's hand in his own.

"You wanted to see me father?" Alfons asked.

Joan let out a raspy cough. "Indeed I did. I heard that you found the one responsible for the attack on my life. Is that true?"

"It is. The boy is being held in the dungeon."

Joan winced before letting out another cough. "How could someone so young even conceive of murdering their king? Has my rule been that poor that people want me dead? Was defeating the Ottomans and Moroccans not enough?"

Alfons grasped his father's hand more tightly and gave him a stern expression. "It is not your fault, Father. It is that bastard Ferran."

Joan rolled his eyes. "Not this again. Your cousin is not after my throne."

"Father, the boy admitted they wanted Ferran on the throne!"

"I know that, but that does not mean Ferran was behind it. He is merely a pawn here. Now bring him to me."

"Are you sure that is wise, Father?"

"Bring him to me!"

Alfons jumped off the bed and scurried out of the room. Ferran was already waiting outside, for he had been called to the room earlier as well. Alfons scowled as he walked by and waved Ferran into the room. The bastard ignored his cousin and entered the King's quarters.

"Ferran, it is good to see you. Come here and sit beside me." Joan beckoned him over with a weak smile.

Ferran tentatively sat down in the same spot Alfons had sat earlier, a nervous expression on his face. "I'm sorry for what happened. I swear I had nothing to do with it."

Joan patted the man's leg and said, "I know that. This is just one of many difficulties that arise from ruling a kingdom. I should have suspected there would be those who favour you simply because of your father. He was a great man."

Ferran smiled sadly. "I'm sorry for all that has happened. I wish there was a way for me to fix this, but I don't even know those responsible. How can I stop these supporters of mine when I don't know them?"

Joan remained silent for a moment, deep in thought, before responding. "There is one way you can fix this."

"How? I'll do whatever is necessary."

Joan's face drained of all emotions as he said, "Leave this kingdom immediately. The longer you stay here, the more you'll encourage these supporters of yours, even if unintentionally. It does not matter where you go, as long as they cannot find you. Without you, they lose their purpose. You must do this for the good of the realm."

The King's words hit Ferran like a pile of bricks to the face. Leave Aragon? He had returned so long ago after his father's death looking for a home, and now he'd have to leave for good. Looking at his uncle's face, the face of a man who had been forced through so much because of him, was enough to convince him. If he stayed, more people would suffer.

"I'll leave then, as soon as possible." Ferran got up to go, but Joan grabbed him by the wrist.

"I'm sorry it had to come to this."

Ferran could not bear to look his uncle in the eyes. He slipped his hand free and said, "I know."

Ferran left the room, where Alfons was leaning against the door frame. The prince scowled at him and said, "So you're finally leaving for good. It's about time."

Ferran chose to ignore his cousin and headed for his room. On the way, a servant bumped into him and offered him a letter.

*Private Letter to Ferran de Trastamara*
While leaving his room Ferran is bumped into by a servant and given this letter:
Dear Ferran,
I'm planning a prison break to break Joan out of prison. I'll be in court while this happens. When I leave court to board my fathers ship back to Abruzzi, the alarm will probably be raised that Muslims raided the jail. These were Greek-Turks hired by me to do the prison escape. Just telling you to be aware when this happens.

P.S. Burn this letter, incase Alfons VI gets ahold of it.

~Renato de Abruzzi

Ferran let out a sound of disgust. He wanted nothing to do with these people. He considered turning around and giving the letter to the King, but decided against it. This letter implicated him too much. Instead he tossed it in the fire. The best choice was to get out of the kingdom as quickly as possible. Then he remembered he had promised to attend Luigi Castelozzi's banquet. He let out a sigh. He supposed he could attend one last social event before disappearing for good. Hopefully the chaos would end after that.

MelillaArms_zpsn2sicbhd.png

Tomas H.X. Etxeto, Count of Navarra,

My dear brother, it has been too long since we corresponded with each other. I have not received word if Ysabel reached your walls safely, would you please inform me of her travels and any hardships she might have experienced? Things progress slowly here in my realm. My "borders" have been very much reduced due to continuing unrest among the populace. While they have been whipped, they are not defeated. Their subjugation could take the majority of my life, but I will see to it. I hope to come see Ysabel with the onset of winter, but I feel my plans may ultimately make such plans void. I have asked some of my fellow brothers to come West from Lucca and help shore up our military presence in this land. I have screaming Muslim everywhere I turn asking for favors and concessions from Aragon to leave them alone. I believe I'd rather hear the infantile wails of my soon to be born child over these fools. I hope that you have everything ready for Ysabel's birthing pains and labors. Our parting so soon after marriage still stings but this land is not suitable for those of our fairer sex.

Please let me know how things progress in your new lands and any news from the king's palace. I have received very little information from anyone back in the kingdom.

Most Affectionately,

Edward Torarella
Gobernador Real de Melilla

((Ferran is more than welcome in Melilla, exile would be a befitting representation of this land :p ))

((Uh GM, you do know that Ferran will probably show this to Alfons? You may have just killed me :p))
((Oh Crap, I think you're right. But we'll be gone by the time he has time to give it to Alfons.))
Operation Blue Jay is a go.
In the Court: Renato is telling them of his plans that his father wanted to do before he got killed.
"My father wanted us to be able to own the province of Abruzzi. I would also like to follow his wishes if I grow to be there when we inherit Naples."
While the Greek-Turks snuck into the dungeon.

Felipé walked around the great hall, greeting and speaking with the guests. His wife, Ioanna, had already made her way to speak to a byzantine friend.
His personal bodyguards were not more the two steps behind him. You can never be too careful, the palace guards had already captured three assassins trying to break in. Felipé shook his head, casting aside these thoughts and inspected the building.
It is certainly a wonderful home. Count Castelozzi have made an excellent job of maintaining the building. And the food and drink is beyond excellency. He had even brought in Sardinian cheese, the finest in the world, actually produced not far from his own home.
After speaking with an neapolitan general about the battles in Anatolia, Felipé walked out to the balcony to take a breath of fresh air.
It was a warm, beautiful evening, and just a few clouds in the sky. The setting sun colored the ocean crimson red and the sky was a fiery orange, with fluffy, purpleish streaks dotting the sky.

The stars were beginning to make an apperance, glowing faintly in the sky like golden pearls.
He was so lost in the beauty of it he didn't notice his wife slipping up beside him. He shook when she laid her hand on his shoulder.

"I'm sorry my love, I didn't mean to startle you." She smiled warmly and Felipé returned the smile, putting his hand on hers.
"No worries, I was just lost in thought."
"It is a beautiful evening indeed." She said.
Felipé chuckled a little. That woman had a peculiar ability to read minds.
He straightened up.
"Perhaps we should head indoors, the dance is about to begin."
Ioanna smiled. "I was just thinking the same thing."
Felipé smiled back and chuckled a little inside. Of course she did.
They headed inside as the music started playing.

A shade figure walks by Joan's cell, and throws in a small note:

Soon one of my men disguised as a guard will deliver you a key, and a dagger. Do not waste time and run.
VoZ

((I'm supporting Joan's escape, the shady figure is a spy working for Arturo))

((Valencia, Crown of Aragon))

Joan finds the Greco-Turk mercenaries and the message given by the shady figure, and begins his prison escape plan. The mercenaries give Joan a dagger and they begin the assault against the guards, severely wounding two guards.

After that, they flee from the prison and is able to escape to the town of Valencia, where Joan and the mercenaries hide in Arturo de Valencia's castle.

Last edited:
((I've done the roll for for Artistove's escape early as requested. I rolled a 16, which with 2 conspirators raises it to 18, not that it matters. He successfully breaks out. I also rolled for the two conspirators and neither were discovered. Artistove's character can no longer vote, although he may still participate in OOC votes, and will have his titles rescinded. He's also wanted dead or alive by the Crown.))

Joan nods at Arturo's complaint.

"Well, sir, I plan to temporarily stay here and later on in maybe a year or so, I'll move to nearby France or Castile. So, you won't have to worry about me for too long. Do you have any rugged clothes, by the way?" He then begins to smile.

Arturo feels ashamed for the young man, but proceeds to give some old torn clothes

Why did you do that? That was just foolish, I do understand that you don't want to see Alfons on the throne, but to do this?! Are you out of your mind? Never mind, here are the clothes, I hope you have a good plan. And welcome to Zaragoza.

To His Royal Highness, Prince Alfons.

My Prince, I write to you with considerable concern regarding the immortal souls of your royal father's subjects. Despite the best efforts of his All-Holiness the Ecumenical Patriarch and our other Greek friends, their populous still stubbornly resists union with the one true church. Our new colony in the Maghreb is a nest of heathens, and perhaps Granada too will soon join it. Our missions are having serious trouble with all these places and need all the help they can get.
Another, and perhaps more more worrying, development has been brought to my attention by a certain friar of the Dominican order. He informs me of the existence of Crypto-Judaism amongst the conversos here in Aragon itself. Such a situation can not, must not be allowed to persist.
With your permission I will write to Rome and request the Holy Father's aid and advice on such matters. It is a possibility that an extension in the powers of the inquisition, with a special tribunal dedicated solely to (and perhaps even run by) the Crown of Aragon could be the solution we seek.

Alejandro Sastre
Bishop of Valencia

*Renato requests a private conversation with Arturo*
When on my fathers boat escaping Valencia, Joan told me that you assisted him by smuggling a dagger into his cell. Thank you for the help in getting him out of Aragon.

Arturo speak with Renato privately

It's nothing. I don't want to see Aragonese noble, and supporter of Ferran rotting in prison. Although his actions we stupid, and nearly costed me entire progress on few matters. While I did not lose all of it my plans were set back by few years. I wish you good luck on your travels, and I hope to see you again some day. The doors of Zaragoza are always open.

Ferran listened intently to Luigi Castelozzi as he told stories of his campaigns in Italy. The bastard chimed in with a few tales of his own. Despite talking about fighting on opposite sides, there was no ill will between the two. Even if there was, it would have been drowned out by the hostility that was emanating from Alfons across the table. The Prince had been glaring at him ever since they had sat down. If looks could kill, Ferran would be dead thrice over. He chose to ignore the Prince as best as he could.

After chatting for a good half hour, he excused himself. The room was quite hot from the people packed in there, and Ferran had done his fair share of drinking to cool down. He desperately needed to relieve himself. As he stepped into a side hallway in search of a chamber pot, a hand roughly grabbed him from behind and spun him around.

"You have some nerve showing your face here," Alfons said with his usual scowl.

"I was invited. Why would I not attend?" Ferran kept his cool as best as he could. He would not let the Prince antagonize him now.

Alfons scoffed and pushed the bastard gently. A few guards standing nearby shuffled on their feet, ready to intervene if things became too violent. "My father told you to leave Aragon, yet you are still here. Why is that?"

Ferran chuckled a bit. "It's just one night. I promised that I'd attend, and so I have. I know you want me gone, and believe me you will get your wish when I leave tomorrow."

Alfons clucked his tongue and moved so that Ferran was between him and the guard. He placed one hand on Ferran's shoulder as though he was a friend and pulled him closer. Ferran felt a pressure on his stomach and looked down to see a dagger pressed against his gut. He remained absolutely still as Alfons whispered in his ear, "Tomorrow isn't soon enough."

The two stood still for a long while, Ferran too afraid to make a move and have the Prince stab him. Alfons had a wicked grin on his face when he finally pulled away and hid his dagger. "Now I'd recommend you leave immediately or things may get ugly."

Ferran gulped nervously, knowing that it was no idle threat. The need to relieve himself was gone now. He reentered the main room and informed the host that he had to leave early. After that was done, he left while trying not to draw any attention to himself. It was time he left Aragon, this time for good.

Renato ended his conversation with Arturo at the party in Castelozzi's estate. He was walking to get another cup of wine, when he saw Alfons VI and Ferran standing talking he walked towards them. Scared he was telling him that Renato was behind the prison break. As he got closer he saw a glint of steel in between them, he heard Alfons say, "Now I'd recommend you leave before things get ugly."
After that he saw Ferran leave and caught him right outside the door, "I know you're not happy with me right now after helping Joan escape prison, but I just saw Alfons threaten you with a dagger in the party," Renato questioned him, "What was that about?"

Luigi was satisfied of the banquet so far. He and his guests seemed to enjoy themselves. And he had learned how his tactics were received on the other side, thinking about possible adjustments to his general strategy. But even as the evening was not old so far, it had already been a tremendous success. After his discussion with Ferran, the bastard had excused himself. But he did not leave the sight of Castelozzi or of his men. He had learned that the rumours of bad blood between the cousins were not exaggerated at all. Not a surprise. But that the Prince would threaten Ferran to leave the kingdom at once was interesting. He might be involved in something that threatened the Prince. Some complot. Luigi grinned. He felt like back in Italy. Although it did leave him to answer the many questions about the origin of his wealth.

'You see, one side paid me to pillage the other one, and I did it.' That was his standard answer. But many were those who weren't satisfied with it. 'The rest has to keep being shrouded in mystery.' The clerics attending the banquet were even more inquisitive. Certainly they knew that he had been excommunicated before, and insisted on knowing the reason why. 'Well, even the Holy Father is but a ruler of his own, and doesn't like his enemies... but let us talk of something else than my past.' Looking around the room for anything suspicious without success, he went on to talk about architecture. 'What do you think of the new churches? Aren't they magnificient like this building. The architect, an old friend of mine, hails from Florence and....' They will never know, Luigi thought. And it is better that way. He would know where Ferran had gone, or anyone else for that matter. His men never deceived him. Though what to do with these informations...

Last edited:
Renato ended his conversation with Arturo at the party in Castelozzi's estate. He was walking to get another cup of wine, when he saw Alfons VI and Ferran standing talking he walked towards them. Scared he was telling him that Renato was behind the prison break. As he got closer he saw a glint of steel in between them, he heard Alfons say, "Now I'd recommend you leave before things get ugly."
After that he saw Ferran leave and caught him right outside the door, "I know you're not happy with me right now after helping Joan escape prison, but I just saw Alfons threaten you with a dagger in the party," Renato questioned him, "What was that about?"

"It's better that you act like you saw nothing," Ferran said. "This is all your fault and those others who have some foolhardy notion that I should be king. My uncle is king, as he should be. Just leave me alone." Ferran left without another word, disappearing from Aragon without a trace.

((Ferran is gone now. He will not be replying to letters or conversations of any kind any more.))

Luigi was satisfied of the banquet so far. He and his guests seemed to enjoy themselves. And he had learned how his tactics were received on the other side, thinking about possible adjustments to his general strategy. But even as the evening was not old so far, it had already been a tremendous success. After his discussion with Ferran, the bastard had excused himself. But he did not leave the sight of Castelozzi or of his men. He had learned that the rumours of bad blood between the half-brothers were not exaggerated at all. Not a surprise. But that the Prince would threaten Ferran to leave the kingdom at once was interesting. He might be involved in something that threatened the Prince. Some complot. Luigi grinned. He felt like back in Italy. Although it did leave him to answer the many questions about the origin of his wealth.

'You see, one side paid me to pillage the other one, and I did it.' That was his standard answer. But many were those who weren't satisfied with it. 'The rest has to keep being shrouded in mystery.' The clerics attending the banquet were even more inquisitive. Certainly they knew that he had been excommunicated before, and insisted on knowing the reason why. 'Well, even the Holy Father is but a ruler of his own, and doesn't like his enemies... but let us talk of something else than my past.' Looking around the room for anything suspicious without success, he went on to talk about architecture. 'What do you think of the new churches? Aren't they magnificient like this building. The architect, an old friend of mine, hails from Florence and....' They will never know, Luigi thought. And it is better that way. He would know where Ferran had gone, or anyone else for that matter. His men never deceived him. Though what to do with these informations...

((Technically they're cousins, not half-brothers.))

Reactions: