• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

To his most royal excellency,

The Divine Favor Plan

1. Issue a diplomat to attempt to gain the popes blessing for further conquests in Africa.
2. Create claims on more provinces in northern Africa.
3. Save our christian brethren in the Balkans from Ottoman oppression.

Your Humble servant,

Juan Corojes Lone, Preist of el Iglisia de San Juan de la Gente

((also what tech are we on))​

((Wasn't your guy a pacifist? :p I think we are on 3 dip tech, 4 adm and mil tech))

A Castilian spy, you say? Send him here at once! I'll get to the bottom of this.

- Alfons de Trastámara
jgJpX4h.png
Of course my Prince,
the suspect should be arriving in Valencia this week. The reason I think he is a spy is because I found him digging through some old documents about different things, and I do not remember seeing him before. He was captured as he was trying to escape. Fortunately he got lost which resulted in his capture.
Your humble servant,
Arturo de Valencia, count of Zaragoza

Another letter is sent to the King

My lord,
You proved that with good allies no one can stop our mighty armies. While I believe we would be able to win that war by ourself the Portuguese must now think that we are a worth ally, and since we didn't break our agreement and dishonoured their call, they do probably fell a bit bitter after our peace with the infidels of the Maghreb. While I think that we should seek every opportunity to weaken the Castillians we can not do it directly. I would propose that we strike the iron while it's hot and declare another war against the heathens of the North Africa. I think that the nation of Tlemcen would be the best target, unless their allies are strong.
Your loyal vassal,

sassari_prov_coa_n5059.gif

My grace,

Another great victory! God is certainly with us! I am sure God will watch over us in our next endevour against the heathens.

The actions of Genoa is deeply disturbing, certainly we cannot allow a non-iberian country to finish the reconquista. I will be watching these actions carefully.
When the truce with Granada is at an end, may I suggest we declare war and take the heathen soil before Castille does.

Your loyal servant,

Felipé de Alvaro

My Liege,
Although finishing the Reconquista would be a noble goal, I believe we should have Murcia first so we would be able to deal with any Sunnis that rise up. It would be a pain to ship troops over to put down the Heathens without a land route.

~Leonardo de Abruzzi, Grand Admiral of the Realm

After the war with the heathens, General Cristofor and his men valiantly returned to Barcelona where he gave a rousing speech.

"Men, you have all been worthy soldiers for the realm. You have all contributed at least one bit to the many wars Aragon has faced in the past decade or so, and I must thank you for th..."

Unfortunately, that rousing speech was cut short after General Cristofor was hit in the shin by a stray arrow, possibly by an assassin trying to kill him.
Blood squirted out of his shin, and he immediately tried to flee as fast as he could. However, another arrow hit him in his lower back, and another one hit straight through his stomach. After this, he screamed as loud as he could and fell on his chest, passing out in mere minutes.

General Cristofor...was almost dead.

"Torarella, your guard is to set watch on the exterior arcade today. We have quite a lot of noblemen and their ladies expected to arrive for victory fiesta's and to pay heed to his royal highness in the coming days due to the victories against the Moors. We need to exude the same martial dominance our armies showed out there in the battlefield. No dozing off and no talking among yourselves. We are the Guardia Real, we must project the power of our king for all to see."

It was the same ending to his orders every day. This duty was monotonous but it offered spare time, something which he rarely got fighting with the Company of the Olive. For almost three years Torarella had risen only to lead a guard of 14 men. While he understood the sons of various Aragonese nobles would be given preference in officer commissions, he didn't realize how dull those men would be. He knew he could best any of them in single combat, but was frustrated that all of them believed the Aragonese ancestry gave them de facto authority over him. He listened to them as they were his superior officers, he would be foolish not to, yet he finally, after all this time, wanted more. All he knew to do was to fulfill his duty in protecting the palace and royal family the best he could. Perhaps he needed to find a willing ally in court, he was, after all, a noble.

((I do hope it's okay I moved Edward up the ranks in the Royal Guard. Also, is there an actual in-game army denoted as the Royal Guard or are we just role playing it?))

Etxeto-arms.gif

Tomas fretted and fitted. The King had just defeated both the vile Turk and the rapacious Moor, and he was here twittling his thumbs in Valencia like a commoner. Something needed to happen and fast. The was no was the House Etxeto was going to sit here and diddle their time away like some overcultured French noble. Action needed to be taken!

201px-Coat_of_Arms_of_the_Bishopric_of_Worms.svg.png

To his most royal excellency,

The Divine Favor Plan

1. Issue a diplomat to attempt to gain the popes blessing for further conquests in Africa.
2. Create claims on more provinces in northern Africa.
3. Save our christian brethren in the Balkans from Ottoman oppression.

Your Humble servant,

Juan Corojes Lone, Preist of el Iglisia de San Juan de la Gente

((also what tech are we on))​

vvEKLhO.png

We thank you for your suggestions. We will consider them as we construct a plan for the Chancellorship.

- His Majesty, Joan II de Trastámara, King of Aragon, Naples, and Navarra

((We're at admin 4, diplo 3, and military 4.))

jgJpX4h.png
Of course my Prince,
the suspect should be arriving in Valencia this week. The reason I think he is a spy is because I found him digging through some old documents about different things, and I do not remember seeing him before. He was captured as he was trying to escape. Fortunately he got lost which resulted in his capture.
Your humble servant,

Another letter is sent to the King

My lord,
You proved that with good allies no one can stop our mighty armies. While I believe we would be able to win that war by ourself the Portuguese must now think that we are a worth ally, and since we didn't break our agreement and dishonoured their call, they do probably fell a bit bitter after our peace with the infidels of the Maghreb. While I think that we should seek every opportunity to weaken the Castillians we can not do it directly. I would propose that we strike the iron while it's hot and declare another war against the heathens of the North Africa. I think that the nation of Tlemcen would be the best target, unless their allies are strong.
Your loyal vassal,

We will consider your suggestions. Tlemcen is without allies as far as we are aware, but we are unsure if we are capable of administrating more heathen land at this time. The Muslims in Melilla are quite unwilling to embrace the true faith.

After the war with the heathens, General Cristofor and his men valiantly returned to Barcelona where he gave a rousing speech.

"Men, you have all been worthy soldiers for the realm. You have all contributed at least one bit to the many wars Aragon has faced in the past decade or so, and I must thank you for th..."

Unfortunately, that rousing speech was cut short after General Cristofor was hit in the shin by a stray arrow, possibly by an assassin trying to kill him.
Blood squirted out of his shin, and he immediately tried to flee as fast as he could. However, another arrow hit him in his lower back, and another one hit straight through his stomach. After this, he screamed as loud as he could and fell on his chest, passing out in mere minutes.

General Cristofor...was almost dead.

((I take this as you're no longer a general. :p))

"Torarella, your guard is to set watch on the exterior arcade today. We have quite a lot of noblemen and their ladies expected to arrive for victory fiesta's and to pay heed to his royal highness in the coming days due to the victories against the Moors. We need to exude the same martial dominance our armies showed out there in the battlefield. No dozing off and no talking among yourselves. We are the Guardia Real, we must project the power of our king for all to see."

It was the same ending to his orders every day. This duty was monotonous but it offered spare time, something which he rarely got fighting with the Company of the Olive. For almost three years Torarella had risen only to lead a guard of 14 men. While he understood the sons of various Aragonese nobles would be given preference in officer commissions, he didn't realize how dull those men would be. He knew he could best any of them in single combat, but was frustrated that all of them believed the Aragonese ancestry gave them de facto authority over him. He listened to them as they were his superior officers, he would be foolish not to, yet he finally, after all this time, wanted more. All he knew to do was to fulfill his duty in protecting the palace and royal family the best he could. Perhaps he needed to find a willing ally in court, he was, after all, a noble.

((I do hope it's okay I moved Edward up the ranks in the Royal Guard. Also, is there an actual in-game army denoted as the Royal Guard or are we just role playing it?))

((The Guardia Real is purely a roleplay force, so it is not represented in-game. Thus you are free to move up the ranks as you wish. :)))

vvEKLhO.png

We have listened to our subjects and believe we have come up with the best plan for the Chancellorship. We propose the following:

Integrate Navarra into our realm. The people of Navarra show a similar cultural identity and have proven themselves loyal. Let them participate as equal members of this kingdom.
Extend our protection to the Byzantines and Athens ((Vassalize Byzantium and annex Athens, or even give Athens to the Byzantines)). We believe it prudent to keep the Christians, even those considered heretics, free from the perfidious grasp of the Ottomans. If we can bring them under our rule, they will be safe from the heathens. However, we do believe it wise to allow the kingdom to recover and thus will not pursue this for at least 2 years.
Avoid wars in North Africa, at least for the time being. While we believe the heathens of North Africa should feel our might, they are so firm in their faith that administering any land taken from them would be too difficult to govern. We think it'd be prudent to avoid wars with them until such a time as the Christian faith cannot be denied by them ((Wait until we raise our missionary strength)). However, if an opportunity does present itself, we will take it.

((Also forgot to mention this earlier, but the tooltip says we'd earn 2-3 times more money if our trade fleet goes to Sevilla instead of Tunis, so the Grandmaster @Egil4950 might want to consider that. ;)))

After many years of being away from court, Count de Soneta returns to a warm day, if he and his now budding family weren't so tired they would be revelling in a quick walk around the palace grounds. He courteously offered his new wife, the now Lady Agrathria de Soneta down from the horse, as she passed their two young children, Jasminia (4) and Alexandre Philippe Maximilias (Alex for short, and he is 2- still will inherit)

But he had some errands to run before he could finally reveal his arrival to the court

((Valencia, Aragon))

After the sudden ambush, General Cristofor suddenly woke up from his short coma. He found himself on a small bed, with a short, old nurse was standing right in front of him with a washcloth in her left hand and a small bowl filled with red-stained water in her right.

"Wha...what happened...,' he whispered, as his lungs felt like the infernos of Hell itself at the time.

The old nurse then began to smile a bit, and cleared her throat before she began to tell him what had happened.

"To be as blunt as I can, it appears that you were almost killed by Muslim assassins who were possibly bribed by an Emir or Sultan of some kind, or maybe even the King of Castile himself. But, they definitely did a lot to your health."

"How so?"

"Well, you may not like this...", the old lady then paused for a bit before finally stating the key information, "but it seems that the assassin was especially skilled at archery, since he was able to permanently paralyze your right leg."

Immediately after she stated it, Cristofor stared at her with a blank, extremely monotone expression.

"That is not true. That is NOT true," Cristofor stated with the same blank expression on his face, but with a definite tone of anger in his voice.

"Well, if you don't believe me, just try to get out of the cot and onto the floor."

Cristofor accepted her challenge and immediately tried to get out of the cot, but definitely felt absolutely nothing in his right leg. He also noticed a big, pus and blood-filled scar on the back of the leg, but despite this he wriggled out of the cot, only to fall straight on his face and breaking his nose.

"Shit!" he exclaimed in agony.

The old lady then helped him get back on the bed, and gave him a washcloth to put on his bruised nose.

Now that he was aware of his permanant injury, he began to ask questions in his head.

Would this mean he'd never be able to fight in combat again? How would his family respond? How would the King himself respond? What would he do in life if he couldn't duel?

Despite these questions, he decided to just wait and find out what would happen. At least he defended Christendom, right?

Carlos arrives at the court, dressed in his finest clothes (which he purchased during his excursion in Constantinople).

Your Majesty, I firmly support the integration of Navarra. They have proven their loyalty to us, and we should repay them accordingly.
On the subject of the Greeks, I would recommend that we annex the duchy of Athens and then sell it back to the Byzantines to show that we are a trustworthy ally to their Basileus. However, I advise against vassalizing the Byzantines, as that would upset the natural order of things ((plus the diplomatic reputation hit if we annex it)). Their empire traditionally was Europe's shield in the East against the Turks and the Arabs before the 1204 debacle with the Venetians. If they were to swear fealty to Your Majesty, we would have to fight on their behalf, as they would think that we would be their shield and thus the shield of Europe. Although we would effectively fill in their role as the protector of Christendom, this has the effect of overextending our military and leaving us open to attack in Italy and possibly even mainland Aragon. Instead, I recommend that we Proclaim a Guarantee of Independence for the Byzantines until their lands in the Balkans have been returned to them and they can fight the Turks on their own. They will still be protected by Your Majesty, but we will also have fewer overlord obligations towards them. As they proclaim themselves an empire and we are but a mere kingdom, they will be eager for independence if they swear fealty, regardless of their opinion of us, or may refuse to swear fealty at all.
((AI vassals are terrible at managing their armies and frequently rely on overlord intervention to save themselves, in my experience. Proclaiming a guarantee for the Byzantines would protect them from the Ottomans/anybody else and also not require as much maintenance in the form of overlord armies stationed over there to protect against rebels. And their liberty desire...aren't they empire rank? I thought you couldn't vassalize an empire as a kingdom or if you could the vassal empire would have highly increased liberty desire?))
I support avoiding any wars against the Moors for the time being. Our kingdom is victorious against the infidels. It needs a rest before it can smite more heathens. Let the soldiers take a break before sending them into battle again.

~Carlos de Leon, Marshal of the Realm

((Also, are you in favor of gamey strategies such as annexing Byzantium, culture shifting to Greek, becoming Orthodox, and then reforming Byzantium? Just wondering.))

Carlos arrives at the court, dressed in his finest clothes (which he purchased during his excursion in Constantinople).

Your Majesty, I firmly support the integration of Navarra. They have proven their loyalty to us, and we should repay them accordingly.
On the subject of the Greeks, I would recommend that we annex the duchy of Athens and then sell it back to the Byzantines to show that we are a trustworthy ally to their Basileus. However, I advise against vassalizing the Byzantines, as that would upset the natural order of things ((plus the diplomatic reputation hit if we annex it)). Their empire traditionally was Europe's shield in the East against the Turks and the Arabs before the 1204 debacle with the Venetians. If they were to swear fealty to Your Majesty, we would have to fight on their behalf, as they would think that we would be their shield and thus the shield of Europe. Although we would effectively fill in their role as the protector of Christendom, this has the effect of overextending our military and leaving us open to attack in Italy and possibly even mainland Aragon. Instead, I recommend that we Proclaim a Guarantee of Independence for the Byzantines until their lands in the Balkans have been returned to them and they can fight the Turks on their own. They will still be protected by Your Majesty, but we will also have fewer overlord obligations towards them. As they proclaim themselves an empire and we are but a mere kingdom, they will be eager for independence if they swear fealty, regardless of their opinion of us, or may refuse to swear fealty at all.
((AI vassals are terrible at managing their armies and frequently rely on overlord intervention to save themselves, in my experience. Proclaiming a guarantee for the Byzantines would protect them from the Ottomans/anybody else and also not require as much maintenance in the form of overlord armies stationed over there to protect against rebels. And their liberty desire...aren't they empire rank? I thought you couldn't vassalize an empire as a kingdom or if you could the vassal empire would have highly increased liberty desire?))
I support avoiding any wars against the Moors for the time being. Our kingdom is victorious against the infidels. It needs a rest before it can smite more heathens. Let the soldiers take a break before sending them into battle again.

~Carlos de Leon, Marshal of the Realm

((Also, are you in favor of gamey strategies such as annexing Byzantium, culture shifting to Greek, becoming Orthodox, and then reforming Byzantium? Just wondering.))

((Well I'm not entirely familiar with the rank system, so I have no idea if we can't vassalize them. I'd just prefer vassalization over a guarantee since we may as well get something out of them if they're using a diplomatic relations slot. If someone knows for sure if we can't vassalize the Byzantines, I'll gladly change the plan. As for that gamey strategy, I'd prefer to avoid such things, but if players want it they need a pretty damn good RP reason for why the entire kingdom would go along with that.))

Reactions:
Edward Torarella, you are a daft fool. That thought kept running through his head as he followed the ladies and their armed escorts throughout the exterior arcade. He could not shake her face from his thoughts though. So beautiful, so innocent. He must know who she was.

She passed him as he was conducting his rounds and inspecting his squad. He assumed her and her retinue came from a side door of the palace and they were then on their way to the gardens. He had enough time to see the three women and three men-at-arms approaching and so moved to the side to let them pass. Though she was young, recently come of age most likely, she commanded the women around her, she commanded the air around her, it seemed. He finally realized he was staring at the young woman when her man-at-arms walked right in front of him to stare him down with a very threatening look. Edward composed himself and stood at attention as the women walked by. He thought he saw her acknowledge his presence, meaning he had caught her eye as well.

So here he was...following a group of women from a distance. He was a noble, of course, but most everyone outside of the palace did not realize he was a noble, just a member of the Guardia Real. While he was being discreet, he bravely got closer to the group to try and catch something that would let him know who she was. He finally heard enough to know her name was Ysabel and that she was an Etxeto, or someone connected to that family. When he finally put together everything, Ysabel's man-at-arms noticed he had followed them through the gardens and confronted him.

"That's far enough! What do you think you are doing? I should let your commander know that you are roaming around after ladies of the court."

"You shall unhand me at once." Edward retorted. "I will not be spoken to as such by a commoner." This commotion had caught the attention of Ysabel and she had come over to inquire as to the nature of this disruption. Edward was the first to respond.

"My lady, my name is Edward Torarella, third son of Baron Serrigo Torarella of St. Etinne, and I was merely walking my rounds."

"Lies!" her man-at-arms interjected, slightly moving his hand to the sword at his belt.

"How dare you," Edward replied with all of the haughtiness he learned from his father.

"Enough Pablo." Ysabel snapped. "You may leave us." The man-at-arms did not move from starring at Edward. "You may leave us." Finally the man left to a distance halfway between the group and his charge. "Tell me the truth," Ysabel asked Edward in the most beautiful voice he had ever heard. "Why did you follow?"

"My lady, if I could only know your name?" His response came out as almost a whisper, so lost was he in her eyes. When she smiled, Edward was smitten.

"Then you shall leave us alone?" Edward nodded at her request. "I am Lady Ysabel Angel Etxeto, sister to Don Tomas Hortun Ximon Etxeto. Now leave us."

"Of course, my lady." Edward said with a smile and a bow. He could not help but notice that Ysabel returned his smile with a playful one of her own.

Don Tomas Hortun Ximon Etxeto

I would like to formally introduce myself to you. I have, this day, met your sister, the Lady Ysabel Angel Etxeto while at the Royal Palace. I would very much like to meet in person to find out more about you and your house. I feel that I may offer myself up as a very amiable guest and would not be a waste of your time. I have spent the last four years in this kingdom, having relocated from my father's estate in Lucca when I was a young man. It would do me great pleasure to speak with you. Please send word back through the Palace Sergeant of your response, your letter will reach me in such a manner.

Your obedient servant,

Edward Torarella of St. Etinne

((Well I'm not entirely familiar with the rank system, so I have no idea if we can't vassalize them. I'd just prefer vassalization over a guarantee since we may as well get something out of them if they're using a diplomatic relations slot. If someone knows for sure if we can't vassalize the Byzantines, I'll gladly change the plan. As for that gamey strategy, I'd prefer to avoid such things, but if players want it they need a pretty damn good RP reason for why the entire kingdom would go along with that.))
((I just read the wiki. It says that you will be able to offer vassalization to Byzantium, but it will have -30 points towards accepting vassalization because we are a kingdom and they are an empire. That would probably be offset by the number of provinces we own relative to them, but there's still Constantinople...))

((I just read the wiki. It says that you will be able to offer vassalization to Byzantium, but it will have -30 points towards accepting vassalization because we are a kingdom and they are an empire. That would probably be offset by the number of provinces we own relative to them, but there's still Constantinople...))

((If I have time tonight, I might do a test run to see if it's possible then. No point starting war we can't even finish.))

((I say give the Greeks some Ouzo and cookies))

Your Majesty,

I congratulate Your Highness on His success in the Moorish War. And in the success of the Franco-Aragonese marriage. May the newly-wed couple have a bright future. The province of Melilla shall make a good foothold in Africa, to deter any future aggressions and show the infidels the strength of Christendom right at their border. But in order to keep it and its population under control, we have to raise its autonomy. It will be hard enough to keep them from revolting, and we cannot just massacre them all, even if they are infidels. Besides, I think the actual Steward plan is still useful in our situation and would continue it into the next years. But I do encourage Your Majesty to see if Antonio Boccadelli could be hired as new advisor. His skill surpasses honourable de Montcada's, and I was told that he would gladly advise Your Highness for a lower price than anyone of His abilities. ((He should cost 50% less, so he might be useful to hire))

Your humble servant
Felice Castelozzi, Count of Palermo and Steward of Aragon

5wxzSfe.jpg

Your Majesty, this is the last letter of my father that I have to give You. I sadly have to inform Your Highness that my father took his last breath not long ago, falling victim to the non-identified illness that had struck him. Your Majesty, therefore I, Luigi Castelozzi, have come to swear my fealty as the new Count of Palermo. If you do not know me, let me introduce myself shortly:
Born the 14th July 1428 as the second son of Felice Castelozzi, I always knew that my brother Vincenzo would inherit father's title. As such, I didn't have many illusions when I reached adulthood, and set out to North Italy to make use of my education and become a condottiere. I quickly gained a good reputation. I was quite involved in all Italian struggles, at the side of Florentines, Venetians, Milanese, even the Swiss in their war with Milan - I know my way around politics. As such, do not count on me to spread any illusions about this world - it is dirty, and in my opinion, it is the result that counts. But I am sure Your Majesty will see what I mean soon enough. Also, it is better for us all if I do not share exactly how I amassed the riches I bring back to Palermo. If it would be in the kingdoms' interest, I would tell Your Highness, but it is not. It can be of interest that I am still not married, although I will shortly marry a Medici from Florence.

But as my father, my loyalty to You shall not be questioned. As such, I have to agree with Your Highness' plan for the chancellorship. Integrating Navarra prevents them from developing any other questionable ideas, while wars in North Africa cost too much for too little gain. Byzantium on the other hand is wealthy and prestigious. If Aragon was to assume the protection of the last remnants of the Roman Empire until its inevitable integration, Aragon could claim to be its successor. With the Turk repelled and the Bosporus under our control, the riches from the East would find their way into the crown's coffers. So I support the vassalization of Byzantium, while Athens would make an excellent addition to the crown's lands ((annex Athens)).

Finally, I have to raise an important point in Genoa's meddling into Iberian affairs. For the same reason it would pose a danger to us to attack our rival, it is better if they get Granada than Castile. They are under the protection of the Holy Roman Emperor. If they take Granada, then Castile does not get it. They stay the same, while Aragon grows stronger in the East. In the second war, we will have the upper hand. Even more if they try to take Granada from Genoa. They cannot possibly defeat two great enemy alliances at the same time if they had such problems in the first war. Your Majesty should always stay sharp for an opportunity to strike. In Italy, weakness was always unforgiving. But I spoke too much. I should attend to my father's funeral.

Your new subject,
Luigi Castelozzi, Count of Palermo

((Time for a new Steward ;)))

201px-Coat_of_Arms_of_the_Bishopric_of_Worms.svg.png

The Priest looked up at the ceiling as he lay in bed that night, searching for answers in the grooves of the wooden ceiling. 'Today, 16 years ago, my must humble father died.' It was queer thinking of it like this, it did not feel a day later than when the courier in Valencia came to him at dinner, "You are Juan Corojes Lone?" he said, I simply nodded my head, "I have grave news, your father Alvaros Corojes Malos, tragically died in a riot in Napoli..."

After that everything was a blur.

"...sir..."

What was that? It sounded like a child.

"...sir..."

The voice seemed to be coming from the window to his quaters. He opened it, getting a breeze from the east and a patter of the evening rain. He also saw a boy, no more than 7 looking up at him.

"Sir please may I have a place to sleep"
"Why of course my dear child! Meet me at the door"

The young boy grinned and ran to the church door. By the time Juan got there the boy was already waiting patiently on the step.

"Come in out of this rain."
"Thank you"
"What is your name?" he said as he lead the boy into the main hall."
"Juan"
"Same as mine! What were you doing all on your own?"
"My daddy kicked me out the house. Mummy always said to go to this church in case of trouble."
"Your mummy was right. You will find a nice bed and food here. Where was your daddy's house?"
"The big one up there!" the boy grinned and pointed. When Juan looked out of the window his jaw fell to the floor.
"That one? With the red fences and the nice gate?"
"Yes"
Then it hit him. The count of Teruel lived there, and his oldest child was 6, and named Juan.
"You can stay here as long as you like."
"Thank you sir!"