• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
José set down in his new office and studied charts and trade reports with a particular focus on the Mediterranean Basin. Hours later, he wrote a new Grandmaster's Plan. He was convinced it was necessary to expand the trade fleet by 30 ships which are to be built in two batches of 15 ships each. The Hispanian treasury has enough ducats to construct 15 light ships right away; the other 15 can be built at a later point. All of the new ships are to be sent to Mediterranean to secure Hispania's trade interests.
José also saw great potential for a trade center in Aix-en-Provence which is why he thinks that the province shall be given to the Burghers.

After he was finished studying the situation in the Mediterranean, he realized that Hispania was embargoing Portuguese merchants. Something that made little sense now that Portugal had been finally driven out of the Iberian Peninsula. The embargo had to be revoked.

José also concerned himself with trade in the colonies and found a way to make trade there more efficient. He wrote everything down in detail in his new plan.

((Grandmaster's Plan
  • Revoke the Embargo on Portugal.
  • Build 30 new light ships in Iberia in two batches of 15 ships each. Send all 30 ships to patrol trade in Genoa. This will greatly increase Hispania's trade income. (I tested it by building the ships in the save-game. We have enough free room to build the ships.)
  • Give the province of Provence to the burghers. This increases trade power in Genoa trade node by 7 as it bumps the province trade power from 31 to 38.
  • Move merchant from Brazil to Ivory Coast. This increases trade income further as we will steer pretty much the entire trade to Sevilla and from Sevilla to Genoa. We steer less than 1 ducats from Ivory Coast to Sevilla without having a merchant in the Ivory Coast. By sending the merchant from Brazil there we steer over 4 ducats to Sevilla. All out-going trade in Brazil automatically goes to the Ivory Coast anyways.
Provence with and without being controlled by the burghers. Look at where it says trade power.
toP6VBI.png
Trade income boost by assigning 15 new light ships to Genoa. Expect a similar bump by building all 30.
Without the 15 new light ships:
7fcw1yk.png

With the 15 new light ships. Please not that trade income will increase even more if we move the merchant from Brazil to the Ivory coast.
WHjVN8s.png

Now, I don't know if the Grandmaster is allowed to do build trade ships or assign a province to an estate but if he is then that is my proposed Grandmaster's Plan. If he isn't allowed to do these things then too bad :) ))

Last edited:
Reactions:
French Call-to-arms: Yes
Offer Cusco Protection?: Yes
Christian Anti-Discriminatory Laws: Yes

[Courtier, Merchant, Monopoly]

myKh8vJ.png
My friend,

of course I shall accept this nomination. I will put my experience amassed in the North to the best use of the realm. So far, the law would forbid me to serve in such a position, but I am confident that this discrimation will soon end. A next great step towards complete tolerance. A new era for Hispania I will gladly follow your lead in.

My best wishes for your further success,
Denis Vincent de Montségur

((Two questions: Should I provide a plan for the chancellory, considering I am not appointed until the positive end of the vote?
Also, could the Chancellor appoint himself as diplomat? First point on the agenda is filling the royal diplomats again.;)

Unrelated: If Khaine is Cortz member, can't he not become the Chamberlain? Doesn't look like this office attracts the most applicants, so it's maybe better if the Cortz just appoints one of them.:rolleyes:))

Now, I don't know if the Grandmaster is allowed to do build trade ships or assign a province to an estate but if he is then that is my proposed Grandmaster's Plan. If he isn't allowed to do these things then too bad :) ))

((The grandmaster may indeed build trade ships, although the grand admiral can overrule it with his own plan. No one assigns provinces to estates though. I mostly assign them based on what happens in the iAAR, like the primary province of dukes being assigned to the nobles. Provence is a key trade province though, so I'll probably assign it to the courtiers anyway, especially with no nobles in the region.))

((Two questions: Should I provide a plan for the chancellory, considering I am not appointed until the positive end of the vote?
Also, could the Chancellor appoint himself as diplomat? First point on the agenda is filling the royal diplomats again.;)

Unrelated: If Khaine is Cortz member, can't he not become the Chamberlain? Doesn't look like this office attracts the most applicants, so it's maybe better if the Cortz just appoints one of them.:rolleyes:))

((You can make a plan if you want to, although it isn't necessary seeing as we'll most likely be preoccupied in France's war. Actually, this would be a good time to propose a new ally. And yes, you can appoint yourself diplomat and starting filling the other diplomat positions. At this point it would take some extraordinary event to make the Anti Discriminatory Law fail.

I made the only requirement for being chamberlain that they must be a noble, so members of the Cortz can have themselves appointed. I've been trying to think of a way to make the position more appealing. I've been thinking of making it so that the chamberlain may propose the use of estate actions, which have mostly been ignored up until now. For example, he could recommend that the king convene a diet. Of course this would merely be recommending, since if the chamberlain could use any estate action they'd most likely strengthen the nobles and weaken the other two estates.))

Reactions:
((The grandmaster may indeed build trade ships, although the grand admiral can overrule it with his own plan. No one assigns provinces to estates though. I mostly assign them based on what happens in the iAAR, like the primary province of dukes being assigned to the nobles. Provence is a key trade province though, so I'll probably assign it to the courtiers anyway, especially with no nobles in the region.))
((Thanks for information.
What about the other two points in my plan? In the plan I also recommend to move the merchant from Brazil to Ivory Coast and to cancel the embargo on Portugal. Can I do such things as Grandmaster?))

((Thanks for information.
What about the other two points in my plan? In the plan I also recommend to move the merchant from Brazil to Ivory Coast and to cancel the embargo on Portugal. Can I do such things as Grandmaster?))

((Of course. That's the main purpose of the grandmaster. I've been waiting for someone to call off that Portuguese embargo for ages. It hasn't been relevant since we first attacked Portugal.))

Reactions:
With the last obstacle to his nomination very probably being removed, Montségur set himself to work. Getting the information he needs from the diplomats, speaking with some ambassadors, with members of the Chancellory, he set up a plan for the office. He would present it when he was officially Chancellor.

myKh8vJ.png

Plan for the Chancellory

Our long-lived alliance with France has been beneficial for both sides, and is the envy of the civilized world. With our combined strength, there is no ruler bold enough to attack. Keeping this alliance should therefore be an important priority in our diplomatic efforts. In conclusion, we should best not get into a conflicting situation again as we did with the Tuscans. Austria has lost its ambitions to become emperor with the peace enforced upon Brabant, and has entered an alliance with France. As such the Austrians are in a perfect position to become our ally as well, even more considering their strength and proximity to Italy.
As strongest power in the Mediterranean, we should declare our interest on the Western Italian coast, excluding Rome. The Tuscans have made their choice when they sided with Savoy - we should begin to isolate the Italians diplomatically. With pressure from the strongest European alliance, they might be willing to make concessions in the future.
We should also follow the wisdom that the best war is a war that doesn't have to be fought. Long ago, Castille lost the Canarias to Morocco, and the court has decided to reclaim these islands for a long time now. The Muslims will defend their heartland with all they have, but likely not these islands inhabited by foreigners. With more or less concealed threats, I will try to convince the Moroccans to end their rule over the islands, so that no Iberian lives under Muslim rule any more, ending the reconquista once and for all.
With the Muslim threat receding and the reformation advancing, the great autonomy given to the Knights should also find its end soon. Who are the new knights? No longer men from all over Christendom, mostly Hispanians and French. No longer is the order fighting infidels, but Hispania's enemies. A formal integration of the order into the armed forces is the logical next step.
Finally, Hispania is currently lacking diplomats who are involved in the kingdom's politics. I encourage anyone with diplomatic tact to represent Hispania's interests in foreign courts and speak with their dignitaries. It is better to send out people whose word carries some weight in their realm
instead of others.

(( - ally Austria
- mark Italy's West coast as provinces of interest
- threaten Morocco with war for the Canarias
- annex the Knights (as we currently have no representative I'm including this in the Chancellor's plan)
- looking for diplomats
- appoint myself as diplomat ))

Reactions:
((Time to tally the votes.

French Call-to-arms: Yes
Offer Cusco Protection?: Yes
Christian Anti-Discriminatory Laws: Yes

Okay, so we shall accept the French call-to-arms and offer protection to Cusco. With the passing of the Anti-Discriminatory Laws, all Christians are now protected by the law, so heretics may now serve on the council and no longer have their VP penalized. Players may also convert provinces using the provided the mechanic without fearing the Inquisition. So alscon officially becomes the chancellor. Also, with no other suggestions, AvatarOfKhaine is now chamberlain. I'm formally adding the ability for the chamberlain to suggest estate actions to make it more useful. I hope to get to the playthrough later tonight and work on the update tomorrow.))

Reactions:
1601-1606 – The Path to Empire

The council faced drastic changes in June of 1601. King Pere V wanted to more greatly involve his subjects in managing the affairs of state. Most importantly, he created the position of prime minister, who was to lead the council in the king’s stead and take on most of his day-to-day duties. It was a clear delegation of power, one that saw the council grow in strength. The first man to be appointed to this new position was Hispania’s most prominent cardinal, Juan II Francesco Michael de Soneta. King Pere, still concerned with the religious divide, saw his appointment as the best way to seek a way to reconcile both sides. The cardinal went about appointing a council filled with members of both sides, and even an open heretic for chancellor after a law was passed against discrimination of men who follow any Christian faith. Now it would take time to see if it paid off.

The first order of business was regarding Cusco. The small native nation had requested the protection of Hispania as its larger neighbours threatened it. The acceptance of that offer by Hispania’s court proved a great relief for Cusco, for their neighbours had just recently declared war on them. When word reached that region of the world, neither Charca or Quito, the nations attacking Cusco, wanted anything to do with Hispania. They begrudgingly backed off from their assault of Cusco, although they did not forgive Hispania for their involvement. For now though, Cusco was safe. ((That was well timed. I did not even realize that Cusco was at war, but apparently we just saved them by forcing a truce when we made them a protectorate. Yay us. :D))

France, of course, could not be ignored either. Their request for help in their war was accepted and troops were sent to battle. The false Holy Roman Emperor proved himself a weak fool as he refused to aid Alsace. This greatly lessened the enemy threat for this war. King Pere only had two armies committed to the war effort, sending off the armies in Provence and Valencia to war under General Hernando Francisco de Leon’s command. The fortresses in Navarra, Girona, Draguignan, and Napoli were garrisoned to ensure no enemies snuck into Hispania territory. Admiral Juan de Porcelli sailed his fleet of galleys to the straits of Gibraltar to ensure no enemy snuck into the Mediterranean.

The new grandmaster went about instituting many changes. Focus was shifted away from drawing trade from Sanchonia and towards West Africa instead. The embargo on Portugal was ended, for it was no longer needed. José Fulminante even convinced the king to grant the burghers or courtiers in Provence greater freedoms to help promote trade through the key port. Shipyards across Hispania were put to work creating 15 new ships to operate in the western Mediterranean, a region that was growing in importance. Chancellor Denis Vincent de Montségur openly declared Hispania’s interest in western Italy, something that did not please Savoy, Genoa, or Tuscany.

The new marshal, Hernando Francisco de Leon, had a greater dream for Hispania. He actively advocated for the king to proclaim himself emperor, to usurp the false title held by Pomerania. The king considered it, but was unsure how the people or Greeks would respond. Leon was adamant though and even began a cross-country campaign, encouraging young men to join the “imperial” army. Having spent his youth exploring the New World, he was not out of his element as he wandered Hispania for his recruitment effort. Starting in Sevilla, he made his way up to Caceres before heading down to Almeria. Much to the surprise of many, he even sailed to Malta to speak with the knightly order that served there. This was only the beginning of many years of work. ((I decided to take zenpheonix’s advice to push for empire and have been investing mil points in manpower all over.))

Prime Minister Juan II de Soneta did not neglect his duties as court chaplain while in office. He made an appearance in Provence and Messina, blessing two new temples being constructed in the province. He also announced his intention to consecrate a new chapel for the knights in Malta in a few years.

Explorer Robert Johann Lübecker sent back word of his travels upon his return to Nueva Granada. He had intended to explore the waters off the west coast of this new continent, but ended up sailing much further west. What he thought was the North East Pacific actually turned out to be the North West Pacific. Either way, he discovered some island chains and a lot of empty water. ((Apparently Paradox believes the waters off the coast of Japan and Micronesia are considered North East Pacific. Someone should give them a compass. :rolleyes:))

The two armies reached Barrois and Lothringen just as France engaged Alsace in Luxembourg. The enemy had already occupied Metz, but it was unlikely they’d make it further with France fielding so many men. General Leon had been given explicit instructions to focus on sieging the enemy provinces and let the French do the legwork when it came to battles. Many back at court were tired of France’s constant call-to-arms and losing men in battle would not keep them happy. If France wanted more land, they could bleed for it. Leon did encounter an army in Barrois, or rather a single regiment that was easily ambushed and crushed.

When General Matthias de Saint-Pierre returned from the New World, landing in Lisboa and marching back to Castilla La Vieja, the king sent him orders to continue on up to France to aid the sieges. He wanted these provinces taken as quickly as possible to bring a quick end to this war. Admiral Porcelli even headed out from Gibraltar to go blockade Munster, the only enemy naval power in the war.

In September, Chancellor Montségur reached out to Austria and arranged an alliance. The nation was eager for such an agreement and negotiations did not take long. Tentative arrangements were also made for a royal marriage between the Trastámara and Habsburg families, but both King Pere and the young Archduke Ferdinand II had no children.

Perhaps the reason for Pomerania’s decision not to join the war involved them trying to fend off Sweden, who forced war reparations out of them. At least that was better than Georgia’s fate, who was forced to give more land to Genoa. The Italian nation was greatly shifting its focus east.

The pope passed away in December and was replaced with a Frenchman, Eugenius VI.

Things plodded along as France sent off two armies into enemy territory, one to take Munster’s capital and another further into Alsace. What seemed most strange was the 30k men sitting in Paris while over 20k men tried to take Luxembourg again. Generals Leon and Saint-Pierre had enough men to not worry about being routed if the enemy moved south, but the French should have been more concerned at least. Instead they waited until they took Elsass and sent that army to remove the enemy.

In the meantime, the capital of Munster fell to France. Munster tried to retake the capital, but France intervened quickly and forced the enemy force to retreat. Saxony then made a move for Elsass, but France caught them in Baden. France didn’t quite have the numbers and faced great difficult claiming victory, but they did nonetheless.

After his ships were restocked, Explorer Lübecker set out to explore the actual North East Pacific.

The constant vigilance and focus on maintaining the siege showed the discipline of the army. Even if the men were eager to fight the enemy directly as the French were, they held their posts and kept the sieges going.

In early 1602, Queen Francine gave birth to a baby boy, who they named Alfons. Pere finally had his heir.

By May of 1602, France was pushing into Ravensburg after occupying Baden. The enemy defence wasn’t enough to keep the French back.

In June, Lothringen fell and the province was handed over to France to control. With all of Alsace occupied, it was hoped that France would settle a peace. In the meantime, General Saint-Pierre was given command of the Provence army and sent back home. The remaining 24k men were to besiege Barrois until it fell.

Despite hopes that Alsace would be dealt with, France focused elsewhere. Munster was forced to pay war reparations, and Hispania was even given a small sum as well. Admiral Porcelli was recalled back to Gibraltar, seeing as the only enemy naval power was now out of the war.

With the grandmaster’s focus on drawing trade in from Africa to Hispania, the Trans-Atlantic Trading Company was reaping in great profit, which indirectly benefited Hispania.

France faced its first loss as it made the mistake of sending out four cavalry regiments towards Saxony without infantry or artillery to back them up. They faced major losses and were forced to retreat, those that survived. France later claimed this was a bluff to trick Alsace and Saxony in to pursuing the army right into the waiting arms of the main French force.

As the Portuguese colonies were brought under Hispanian administration, rumours were spreading into the colonies from the remains of Portugal that the Portuguese were greatly unhappy with their vassalization by a bunch of primitives. They wanted freedom, and perhaps Hispania would overlook its past grievances to aid them. ((Their liberty desire is at 100%))

Barrois fell in October and the province given to the French to deal with. The French arranged a similar peace as they had with Munster, pilfering Bar’s treasury. A few days later, Ravensburg met the same fate, leaving just Alsace and Saxony. As Leon was contemplating whether to push into Saxony or not, France finally arranged a peace with Alsace. They took Lothringen, isolating Bar within their borders, and plundered their treasury. Now Hispania could enjoy some peace.

The merchants seemed to have an increasingly hard time competing in foreign markets.

The Crown was forced yet again to prop up a merchant down on his luck. Around this time, a new advisor was hired to improve the navy.

Efforts to bring all of Sardinia under the same administration as Sicily paid off, with Sassari accepting the new system. The focus was shifted to Corsica next.

With France’s war against Alsace over with, Chancellor Montségur decided that it was time to claim the Canaries from Morocco. The man though believed that Morocco could be persuaded to give up the islands without a fight. Montségur met with several envoys from Morocco and spent three days debating with them over a possible arrangement. No one is quite certain what Montségur and his team said or did during the meeting, but the Moroccans came out of the meeting quite elated. The Moroccan sultan had agreed to give up the Canaries in exchange for a five-year non-aggression pact. The lead Moroccan envoy was even seen waving the official agreement around as he left, claiming that he had achieved “peace in our time”. Either way, Hispania now had the Canaries and they hadn’t had to do a single thing. The Reconquista was complete.

Funds were set aside to refurbish the trade fleet operating in Genoa that still used the old caravel models. This also coincided with the second stage of the fleet’s expansion, with another 15 light ships on the way.

Marshal Hernando Francisco de Leon continued on his recruitment effort, moving on to Corsica and then Calabria. Perhaps strangest of all was his decision to visit the Azores. The islands were often ignored, but the marshal was looking for men wherever he could find them, and in the process spreading the word of empire. Perhaps it was time to claim such a title for Hispania.

With more than enough funds available, the long overdue plan to upgrade the fort in Draguignan was carried out.

It had been so long since the Inquisition had had to deal with heathens, but it was again time as they were tasked with converting the people of the Canaries. The king declared that all of Hispania would be Christian, with the last vestiges of Islam removed from Iberia.

Nuevas Baleares was starting to bring in a more sizeable profit and the CTC was flourishing as a result. The grandmaster now had more resources at his disposal. ((Nuevas Baleares reached 10 provinces, so we have an extra merchant. The CTC now has one VP to assign and we have an extra merchant to use. I sent him to Tunis for now.))

Explorer Lübecker travelled up and down the coast of what the natives referred to as Cascadia, extensively charting the entire coastline and waters.

With the kingdom so prosperous, some minor nobles started pressing for compensation. Of course most funds were being used to improve the kingdom and bring prosperity to all, not just the nobles, as Treasurer Santoros Hashem recognized. King Pere trusted his advice enough not to grant the noble’s request. There was a short moment of tension, but it was alleviated shortly after.

As if to prove that the money was better suited with the Crown, a naval equipment manufactory was constructed in Asturias to supply the ever-growing navy.

Explorer Lusari headed even further east, sailing past India and encountering an island chain. The straits of Malacca were revealed, controlled by the large Pasai, as well as the nations of Brunei and Sunda. Several other uninhabited islands were noted further out to sea as possible targets of colonization. ((We can pretty much reach every minor island in the Indian Ocean west of Malacca.))

Grandmaster José Fulminante instituted a tariff on fish from Nuevas Baleares. There were some that questioned this decision, since the man made his fortune in trading in fish, but it had been a common practice by now to tax the more profitable trade goods coming out of the colonies.

The situation of Portugal had angered some of the locals in Lisboa and Coimbra, wanting freedom again so their nation would no longer be subjugated across the seas. The armies in Castilla La Vieja and Granada were dispatched to keep the locals under control. There was also some dissent coming out of Calabria, rumours of freedom for the Neapolitan people. The army in Napoli was dispatched to dispel such thoughts.

France, ever eager for further conquests, declared war on Flanders. Flanders had only Aachen as an ally, so it was suspected that they would not require Hispania’s aid. The last thing the Hispania people wanted was to fight another French war.

In October of 1605, the Inquisition reported that their efforts convert the populace of the Canaries had ended in great success. Not only were the locals now Catholic, but it was clear now that the Muslim nations that once held the land and that in Iberia would never return. The Christians reigned supreme.

A weapons manufactory was opened up in Vizcaya to supply the army. There were accusations that the steward, Ximon Tomas Luys Etxeto, was using his position to improve his own lands, but they were quickly dispelled when it was discovered the king had called for this construction plan years ago as steward.

In January of 1606, Clara’s son Maurianus came of age, ascending to the throne in Constantinople as Maurianus II. His brother Theodoros became his heir, until such a time as the emperor had his own children. He would need to find a bride first.

France made short work of Flanders, forcing them to cede a single province. Now both Burgundy and Hainaut were isolated within France’s border too. It seemed likely that one of the isolated nations would be gone next.

The British grew a particular plant in the New World that they began distributing throughout Europe. Known as tobacco, it was mostly used for medicinal purposes, but smoking it seemed to bring relief to many. Who knew how popular this plant would become.

The efforts taken to ensure the locals of Valencia spoke Aragonese and gave up their Catalan ways proved a success, with the capital now embracing the dominant culture of Hispania.

In probably one of the greatest gifts of God, a new sultan rose to the throne for the Mamluks. The Mamluks claimed their new sultan was an administrator, although it was clear to anyone in his presence that he was a dimwit that would accomplish little. Perhaps this was a sign for Hispania to finally move against them.

The decision to protect Cusco from its neighbours now was put to the test. Their enemies had bided their time, but now they decided to strike. Many within Cusco even disapproved of seeking Hispania’s help. Now it was up to the court of Hispania to decide whether they would save their native friends or risk letting them be conquered by their neighbours.

JpsioAG.png

Presenting His Majesty, Pere V de Trastámara, King of Hispania and Protector of the Greeks & the Knights.

There is much we must consider; actions that may well have ramifications we are not even aware of. Marshal Hernando Francisco de Leon has spoken to me of the possibility of proclaiming Hispania an empire, usurping the false title held by the Holy Roman Emperor and using our position as Protector of the Greeks to take up the mantle as the successors of Rome. I have already corresponded with my nephew Maurianus on this matter, and he has agreed to support us in whatever decision we choose, so the Greeks will not oppose us. Perhaps it is time that we proclaim the Empire of Hispania.

There is also the matter of Cusco. We offered them our protection, saving them from certain destruction, but now their neighbours press at their borders and test the strength of our offer. Shall we abandon them as a distant part of the world that is of little concern to us, or shall we keep our word and come to their aid? I shall let you all deliberate on this.

In colonial matters though, it seems clear to me that with the route open to India, perhaps we should also look eastwards. India is dominated by Bahmanis, who may fend off any attempt by us to lay claim to land in the subcontinent, while Pasai may prove just as resistant to incursions into the Spice Islands. Perhaps it would be better to focus on developing our current colonies in Madagascar before moving further.

((Quite a few things going on now. We’ll be voting on whether to intervene on a war declared on Cusco or to lose them as a protectorate. We also get to choose a new mission, which all seem colonial in nature, and have the option to upgrade to empire rank. Explorers may also pick some new mission, although if they don’t I’ll just keep sending them out in the general area they’ve been exploring.

Speaking of Cusco though, seeing as we have subject interactions, that should mean we should have a viceroy. I’m not quite sure if it should be the same position as with vassals or colonial nations, or if I should rename it something else.

As for minister plans, all ministers have until Thursday at 12pm PST to post their plans. Players may present laws in that time too.

Pensioners:
@Totally Oink
@hirahammad

))

((With more land explored, here is a new list of colonizable land. I realize that the province names are hard to read, so feel free to just state a general region instead. I also may have missed an island or two, like South Georgia or the Andamans. You can try comparing to the larger maps in the Maps spoiler to see if any islands are unclaimed too.

))

((New Plan:
East China Sea
South China Sea
South West Pacific))

Hofburg in Vienna, September 1601

The young Archduke Ferdinand II von Habsburg had retired to speak to his advisers, considering the Hispanian alliance offer Montségur had proposed. The Hispanian Chancellor waited for the announcement of the decision, and thought of possible misunderstandings or schemes from Ferdinand's advisors he would have to clear out if the offer was refused. Maybe the Austrians would believe that such an alliance would antagonize their Hungarian ally, often enemy of Hispania in the past, threatening the Eastern Austrian border. Hispania had no interest in attacking the Hungarians as long as the Byzantine border was safe. Maybe some greedy men were believing a future involvement of Hispania in Italy would meddle with Austria's own prospects in the region. Or simple distrust.
On the other side, Montségur had showed the common interests of the two realms. France as shared ally. The Italian region, with its different rich parts eyed by the three realms without any conflicts. The strength of an Hispanian ally, further intimidating the Imperial Princes and the weak emperor, helping Austria to have the authority to control Southern Germany.
Ferdinand reappeared fairly quickly. There must have been unanimity in the counsel given. The Austrians accepted the alliance. As not to be expected otherwise from the Habsburgs, they also offered to seal the treaty with a royal marriage. With no close relatives to king Pere eligible, the Chancellor made more or less vague promises. Felix Austria nube would have to wait.

Governor's palace of Fes, February 1603

In accordance with his plan to find a diplomatic solution for the Canarias, Montségur had assembled all Hispanian diplomats with some knowledge of Arabic and asked for the Moroccans to send envoys to Fes to discuss it. Fes, as Berber city under Hispanian rule, should be a reminder of who would be the losing side should it come to war, though it could also be taken as an affront to host the meeting in this city. When the Moroccan envoys arrived, it was clear that it had paid off, or at least didn't hurt.
After a short initial debate, the envoys were glad to have been offered the opportunity to speak with words instead of weapons. The Canarias have been not much more than trouble since they conquered the islands from Castille anyway, or so they claimed. They didn't deny that Hispania had an undeniable claim on the islands as well. They gave in to most of the demands as soon as they were proposed.
But one point threatened to end the planned treaty before its conclusion. The Moroccans demanded a Hispanian promise not to plan any aggression against Morocco in the future in exchange for the Canarias. The heated debate went on for two more days before the agreement, the Treaty of Fes, was finally signed. Both sides were pleased with this conclusion. The Canarias in exchange for five years of certain peace between the two nations. A successful negotiation that ended without a war.
But Morocco's eagerness to accept the treaty showed that the nation was weak. An infidel threat didn't exist for long. Perhaps that weakness should be exploited in the future...

((Plan for the Chancellory will come later.))

Reactions:
To his majesty King Pere

I will keep exploring east for the glory of Hispania, may I one day meet my fellow explorer Robert Johann Lübecker, each of us coming from the opposite direction. That day the sun won't set on Hispania, hopefully an augur of the future of this nation. That will certainly be a most glorious day for us all.

Lorenzo da Lusari

Your Majesty,

I humbly request that the position of royal colonist, the same position held by my grandfather, be given to me.

Eduard Villanova

JpsioAG.png

We are always in search of men willing to travel to the many far away lands to spread Hispania's influence. Such is a daunting task, and I am grateful that you are willing to serve the Crown in such respects. I accept your offer and shall have you continue the work of your grandfather soon.

- His Majesty, Pere V de Trastámara, King of Hispania and Protector of the Greeks & the Knights

((Also thanks for waiting a turn. I know it might have seemed pointless when there was still an opening, but I want to avoid creating exceptions to the rule.))

((Can the Grandmaster propose the construction of market places?))

((Only the steward can order the construction of buildings, including marketplaces.))

to his majesty
i would like to know the state of the island that im funding for colonization i have not receive any reports for a log period of time.

Benjamin Von Alps

JpsioAG.png

As far as I am aware, the colonists under the Crown's employ have been focusing elsewhere, mostly in Africa and South America. I am certain that once the more recent colonies are complete, they shall move on to your requested one.

- His Majesty, Pere V de Trastámara, King of Hispania and Protector of the Greeks & the Knights

((We haven't reached you yet on the list that I have. You're second right now, behind delpiero with the Mascarene Islands.))

José submitted a reform known as the Trade Act of 1606 to the court. He felt the Grandmaster lacked the necessary power to further improve Hispania's trade income. After all, thanks to his last Grandmaster's Plan, the realm's economy improved drastically. If José, as Grandmaster, is given the power to order the construction of further trade building then the country will continue to prosper.

Trade Act of 1606

The Grandmaster shall be given the power to order the construction of trade buildings. The Steward may veto the construction of those buildings.

myKh8vJ.png

Your Majesty,

I am very pleased to have seen that the Moroccans gave in without a fight. The best war is one that is won without a battle, and the pen is truly mighty when there is a big enough sword behind it. Still, how eager they were to lose the Canarias raises some questions about their ability to fight a war - and with the Mamluks now fallen under the rule of someone with less political skill than a newborn, it may be time to strike. Should Your Highness claim successorship of Rome, being in a position to do so, then the Greeks will certainly want their part as Eastern Roman Empire. Mamluk weakness can be used to invade Anatolia for the Greeks. They claim a rivalry towards Your realm, and Hispania has to show the infidels that they are not worth of such a noble rival.
Before taking up arms, we might make use of the fresh memories of the French-Savoyard war. Savoy has not gained any new ally since their defeat, and as such I propose to reason with the Savoyards as with the Moroccans to see if they may be convinced to cede Nice. France is an example of expansion through warfare when it is not necessarily needed - let us take the diplomatic approach.
The Genoese may have known success in Georgia, but there is a good reason why the Georgians have resisted Muslim expansion from both sides. A proud and resilient people, my sources confirm that the have taken up arms against the foreign conquerors. Now would be a good time to put pressure on their border, from Nice if negotiations are successful, and give them a choice: Either they abandon their Eastern conquests to focus their military strenght against a foe they cannot defeat, or they cede Albenga to Your wise rule. If they aren't too foolish, they will make the right choice. Before our neighbours begin to band together against Hispania, we shall wait before making a similar ultimatum to the Tuscans.
Hispania should also decide how to treat the remaining organized tribes along the coast of the New World, the Tupinamba and Charrua. Either we should treat them similarly to the Cuscoans, or we integrate them into our colonies. The tribes should be treated differently though. The Charrua have shown themselves as willing to accept and integrate parts of our culture into their own and have adopted a government inspired by our own, even found their way to God. We should put the Charrua under our protection.
The Tupinamba on the other hand are ferocious warriors, present in great numbers. Ships landing along their territory to resupply are quick to leave again, if they manage to flee. They are a threat to trade in the disrupted colony of Sanchonia, a threat Hispania should seek to end at some point in the same way they treat the traders.

Unrelated to my plan for the Chancellory, I hope the best for the settlers in San Dionisio and Nazca during the Cuscoan crisis. Seeing how well the colonies are doing since the trade began, I would announce that my family will fund a colony in Arequipa after Nazca is self-sustaining. ((Priority should be given to other colonization requests if there are some though))

Your humble servitor,
Denis Vincent de Montségur, Duke of Trinacria and Chancellor of Hispania

((Chancellor's Plan:
-threaten war against Savoy for Nice
-threaten war against Genoa for Albenga
-declare war on the Mamluks, aiming to expand Byzantium's Anatolian territory
-make Charrua a protectorate
-conquer Tupinamba at some point ))

Count D'Este ((@Von Habsburg)),

I am looking for men with influence and a name to go with it to bolster the thinned ranks of royal diplomats. A man with such experience in foreign courts, and with different religions, as you do is a very good candidate considering your position. Your family bonds and past during th religious debate make you very suited as well. I am therefore offering you a position as diplomat for the crown.

Awaiting your answer, respectfully
Denis Vincent de Montségur, Duke of Trinacria and Chancellor of Hispania

((private))

As I lie on my deathbed, I reflect on my life. From the most humble of beginnings as a Malian child, I was made through tragedy. Parents dead, teacher killed, I was kidnapped. I freed my self, and took from the defeated his identity. I came to Hispania, Aragon then, and began work as a merchant. Tragedy once again, when my son was taken from me. It was my fault. I devoted myself, but to what cause? I became Grandmaster, and formed a trade company, but neither was my true calling. Liberation. Freedom. Tolerance. I worked to make a better land for my child. I rose above my tragic beginnings to create a new society for all religions. Eventually. Now I must pass on, and I believe I have done well. Am I sad? I, have lived long enough. I have outlived so many. Now I leave. Death. Hello, friend. Come, take me. My brief sojourn is over, and I go to the long life.

((Public))

Santoros "Abu" Hashem, born 13 December 1524, has died March 25, Tuesday, 1606. By the time new reaches you, he will have been buried. Attached is his public will. His son, Almudena, invites you to his funeral at Brakna.

-I pass on my worldly goods to my son Almudena Hashem.

-((ETC.))

-My last action in the CTC is to vote for Senor Peralta as Governor-General succeeding me.

Name: Almudena Hashem
Date of birth: 25 July, 1568
Class: Courtier
Religion: Catholic
Bio: Son of then 44 Santoros Hashem, Almudena participated in the tournament which resulted in the loss of his brother's life. He was determined to go on, but his father stopped him, determined not to lose another son. However, Almudena studied swordplay, and became proficient enough to tutor under a renowned Hispanian fencer in Granada. He wishes to become a general, though he has not given up his father's business either. Also like his father, he is for tolerance.

Last edited:
Reactions: