• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

iisbroke

Major
28 Badges
Dec 13, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Knights of Honor
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • King Arthur II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
Skaal Chronicles

A few things to point out. This AAR utilizes the Elder Kings 0.1.6 modification. In it I will play as the Skaal, starting with the ruler of Felsaad in 3370. Why the Skaal? Simply because I enjoyed dealing with them in Morrowind Bloodmoon and Skyrim: Dragonborn. It is also something different from what I usually see people talking about in the mod forum or AARs. One last thing to note is that the updates will be infrequent as I have a busy schedule. I will abstain from cheat codes as much as possible but this is about creating a story first. As such I will also play to the personality traits of the ruler as much as possible. For instance if the ruler is wroth he will do a lot of raids/wars. If content they won’t expand territory. Do not assume this is going to give insight into how to play this start as I am amateurish. As such it will be more about the evolution of stories, and their small world. Below this will be an example of the writing style I plan to use in this AAR, followed by a list of URLs to updates.

1368949742.jpg

Solstheim
Long ago there were two priests, known now only as the Guardian and the Traitor. They worshipped the dragons who enslaved all men. They were mighty and powerful beings, and served with loyalty and distinction. Yet one day that changed, the Traitor was approached by a dark spirit. Lured by promises of power he became corrupt and plotted to destroy his masters. the Guardian learned of this deceit though and confronted him. Their battle was so grand it shattered Solstheim from the lands of men into the Ghostly Sea. Upon his defeat the Traitor was sealed away in the realm of darkness, the Guardian remained to watch over the ruins of the Traitor’s burnt holding. It is from the Guardian that we hail, we the Skaal.

We no longer worship the false ones, the dragons. We follow the path of the All-Maker, who came to us in our time of need and showed us the true way. We live as one with the land, not over it. Take only what you need nevermore. We must be ever vigilant for the Adversary as he will corrupt and ruin us if not careful.

It has been many long eras since then, and us Skaal remain, we endure. Our way of life is simple yet precarious. The tribes of the island remain fragmented, to the South the Ash Elves hold power that dwarfs any state of Man. It is doubtful they would ever interfere with us docile folk, too preoccupied with their inter house intrigues. To the West are our kindred, the Nords. They have long forsaken the ways of our forefathers. Wishing to dominate all things, yet it is still preferred to speak to them than the greedy Bretons or arrogant Imperials. Finally to the North is Roscrea, filled with the descendants of our forefathers the Atmorans, who still worship their gods of old. They live almost like we do, almost. Draugr had driven them from Atmora and they are unwelcoming of visitors, nor do they leave their isle either.

We are Skaal, proud and true. One with the land and all things. We are set in our ways, yet change breezes upon us, like the cool winds of winter. Always slowly encroaching until it submerges you in the snow drift, and what you once were is lost forever. Whatever was or will come to pass one thing is certain. We are Skaal, and we shall endure.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Felsaad
5DNG2QC.jpg

Chief Hjordis of the Tribe of Felsaad

Chief Hjordis walked around his tribe’s hold. Felsaad was the larger of the Skaal lands, yet it was arctic. Almost seven months out of the year they experienced winter. When winter was not here they would plant what few things they could and hope to see them harvested. The most common source of food was fish, though hunting was popular as well if less likely to succeed.

At the age of zero and forty winters he had a wife, and she had given him three sons now all nearly of age. His people had what they needed, food, shelter, security, yet he wanted more for them. He knew of the lands beyond these confined shores and wished to see the. His wife Fryski had traveled them some and was even of one of their faiths, the Eight Divines it is called. She spoke of the large tribes, stone buildings, and vast array of goods there. Naturally he wished this for his people too.

Yet, he worried that if he sought this he would fall prey to the Adversary and become greedy, slothful, and malicious. The Skaal are a practical people after all. Still Hjordis felt that it was worth the risk. Traversing the muddy paths of Felsaad he asked one of the tribes more influential members for advice. “Tell Kolfinne what do you suggest with the malachite deposits we have found.”

Kolfinne looked the typical Skaal. Tall with fair hair, a dirty complexion, and her clothing was of thick furs from animals either her or her husband had killed. She fiddled with a sabre’s tooth on her necklace while pondering. “I would suggest bartering any we do not need with our neighbors for what we do need.”

“You expect me to give away all that volcanic glass?” Hjordis asked perplexed. His tribe certainly didn’t need the whole mine but giving it all away?

“No my chief I mean for you to trade some for extra food supplies. Hirstaag is in need of better arrow tips for meet, and we are in need of more tubers for the coming winter. The shaman predicts it will be especially harsh.” The stewardess of Felsaad retorted in a calm tone.

Stroking his long brown beard Hjordis looked around the tribe’s central area. A large ring of dirt in summer, ice in winter, and mud in early spring from melted snow. Typically they sent people to another’s tribe to barter or met in between. Sometimes though this ended in their traders being killed, especially when dealing with the Moesring. “What if we just gathered the glass here and sold it?”

“What do you mean my chief?” Asked Kolfinne. “Is there an issue with meeting half way at Lake Fjalding as usual?”

Though he was chief of the Skaal his diplomacy was terrible, so Hjordis tried to explain what he meant as best he could. “No no no. I mean what if they just came all the way here from the other tribes, to barter. Maybe have permanent barter stations up for our tribe’s members too. They would just, I don’t know, come and trade everything at once rather than traffic around Solstheim for every small item.”

“Ah I see Fyrski has been talking to you about her ‘great’ adventure in the mainland.” The stewardess mused. Fiddling with the tooth again she paced back and forth until a gust of wind from the east stung her face. At last she answered with “very well my chief I will see to the creation of one of these fantastical markets the Fyrski has so often spoken of.”

The chief was relieved and hopeful. “That is reassuring, I think. . . Well I will go talk to Gjulkar about how the kids’ education is coming along.”

“Still hoping they will be great hunters?” Kolfinne teased.

“That is every father’s dream for his spawn.” He laughed. After which Chief Hjordis turned and left just as the latest batch of snow began to fall.

Can't say I am surprised you would choose the Skaal, as I recall you playing them in a certain brief but fun Forum Game on Elder Scrolls. Consider me subbed! :)
Thanks and yeaa...... You really shouldn't be surprised I'd play a 1) Tribal, 2) barbaric culture, and 3) 'a difficult start' group. Especially considering those Ordivantites I made for your Agorath series >.>

I'll see about getting another update out this weekend before or after I update my forum game.

As a fan of the elder scrolls, and indeed the Skall I will be keeping an eye on this one. :)

I hereby subscribe to bring forth the message that *maybe* Europeans will loot everything even though it is not coded in!
EDIT: What religion are you playing as?

I hereby subscribe to bring forth the message that *maybe* Europeans will loot everything even though it is not coded in!
EDIT: What religion are you playing as?
A) Yes we will loot things, as I have played for 15 years and went to raiding to gain gold but mainly prestige, as I am tribal. That way to build a dock to allow me to raid elsewhere like Morrowind and Vvardenfell, a lot.
B) My religion is All-Maker. It is a minority religion, with all of its worshipers on Solstheim. It has a holy site on each of the three counties of the isle -Moesring, Hirstaag, and Felsaad- as well as one ins Roscrea, and another in Windhelm. With it I can raid stuff, declare conquests on people of same religion, females can hold temples, and there is never a religious head.

A Cub, An Eyas and A Pup
bateman-bull-moose.jpg

Gjulkar hunting with the boys and telling them a Skaal story about three animals. Foreshadow how the boys become.

The moose was quietly eating the partially dead grass, its amber colored flakes falling from its mouth with strings of drool. It was a large bull with antlers almost fully grown for mating season. Covered in muscle and thick fur. From this beast lean meat to be smoked into jerky for winter, fur for clothing, tendons and ligaments for sinew, bones for tools and ornamentation, and more could be made. That is why it was prey today.

Up wind amongst the branches of a tree sat a twelve year old boy. He was wrapped in furs holding a boar spear made of tempered spruce, a common tree on Solstheim. A fog made from the heat of his breath could be seen as he sat patiently waiting. Not an easy thing for he was already well known for his temper. He was Hrolmoor, second spawn of Chief Hjordis.

From his spot he could see his two brothers in position as well. Behind a shrub was little Hjalfar, one year his younger. Hjalfar was even more temperamental and even considered tyrannical by their fellow children. Hrolmoor always attributed it to his brother being ambitious in everything he did, and fervently believing the custom of might makes right. Still his passion in everything drew people to him despite his harshness.

Opposite behind a tree was his elder by a year, Hrolnir. He was thicker in muscles than his other brothers and not due to age. Hrolnir was just naturally better built, he was also well known as being kind, and content with his lot in life. After-all he was heir to the tribe, even though it was rule by might, the fact he was more gifted in fighting meant he would become Chief one day.

This is partially where Hrolmoor’s anger came from, but he could not think of that now. He had to focus on the task at hand, the moose. Finally the wait had ended. Hrolnir spun out from the tree, snow scrunching under his boots, and fired a glass tipped arrow. As this happened Hjalfar charged out from his bush spear in hand, barreling straight for the beast’s heart. Hrolmoor slid off his branch holding the spear downward.

The Moose was hit in the side by the arrow first and it bellowed loudly. (0:00:29). As it fled Hrolmoor fell spear point first onto its neck. The bull began to stagger and Hjalfar rammed his spear full force into the beast’s chest. It bucked up and toppled over with Hrolmoor just barely managing to jump off before getting his legs crushed under the moose’s weight.

As they stood around the beast Hrolnir laughed. “Ha we did it brothers” He raised his hands in the air victoriously. Unfortunately for Hrolmoor he was down wind of his slobbish brother.

“Ack! Bathe at least once a month if not week.” Hrolmoor exclaimed.

“That is just my natural musk, the girls faint over it.” Replied Hrolnir as he crossed his arms.

Hrolmoor smirked at his retort just prior to voicing it. “They faint because the smell knocks them out.”

Hrolnir sneered showing his teeth, then turned to his other brother. “Hjalfar what do you think?”

The youngest of the siblings was kneeling over the moose letting the blood from its throat drain. He had covered the palm of his hand in it and pressed it against the face of the beast. The whole while muttering “we thank you All-Maker for the sacrifice this beast has made. May its spirit thrive in harmony and glory on its way to join you.” He kept praying for a while before standing then said “I think you both reek.”

“BWAHAHA!” laughed Hrolmoor. “Good one now let’s bring this back to Gjulkar, Hrolnir take the right hind leg, I’ll get the left.” The brothers went to work collecting the slain moose, and set about the long trek to bring it to their distant campsite where they would meet their guardian Chancellor Gjulkar, who was better with an axe than his mouth being an expert knight, yet it was a position he had grown used to.

Haha, I never would have thought of doing one based on the Skaal. I'll be subbed as this is quite a novelty in my eyes. Very nicely written chapters by the way; the art that you start the chapter with definitely gives it the barbaric feel as well as giving the story a much better base design in my head.

Inspiration for me to make all-maker a novelty religion about worshipping moose.
The moose god is pleased.
Haha, I never would have thought of doing one based on the Skaal. I'll be subbed as this is quite a novelty in my eyes. Very nicely written chapters by the way; the art that you start the chapter with definitely gives it the barbaric feel as well as giving the story a much better base design in my head.
Thank you. I have some time today so will work on the next one, it shouldn't be too long unless something comes up. I'm trying to pace myself a little as I don't want to rush to far ahead into when the raiding happens because this is still 3370. In 17 years Hjalfar sacks Sheogorad in a raid though, the little rapscallion.;) Really want to skip to that stuff but it's still initial character development stage time.

The moose god is pleased.

Thank you. I have some time today so will work on the next one, it shouldn't be too long unless something comes up. I'm trying to pace myself a little as I don't want to rush to far ahead into when the raiding happens because this is still 3370. In 17 years Hjalfar sacks Sheogorad in a raid though, the little rapscallion.;) Really want to skip to that stuff but it's still initial character development stage time.
Can't ever go wrong with character development and amusingly enough, Imperials have raids/wars much sooner then the barbarians. Can't wait to see the son's raiding together when the time comes.

Mercantile
eiriksstadir_interior_fire.jpg

It was Midyear and Chancellor Gjulkar was in the chief's hall, or rather hut. It was a large building made of wood, with straw and mud tightly woven together to act as insulation, with a thatched roof. A large fire pit sat in the middle letting smoke rise through the opening in the building's conical roof. Outside the warm winds of Vvardenfell had come to melt the late spring snows.

The middle aged chancellor had grown up alongside Chief Hjordis, which is why Hjordis trusted Gjulkar with raising the boys. Now he sat before his chief offering council. “There are many who worry about this new decision of yours.” Gjulkar said in a scratchy voice.

“They merely are afraid of their influence being lost.” Hjordis responded uninterested as he bit into a Hirstaang yam. “This trade station will make things better for us I know it.”

“But they do not. Some believe you will bring about the Adversary with your ways, your greed.”

Hjordis gave a stern look. “Who are they, hmm? These cravens who rather talk under the moon than the sun? I fear them not let them face me in the open. I am chief not they and what I say is what the tribe does.”

“That is the precisely the attitude that has upset them Hjordis.” Remarked Gjulkar just as harshly. “Your disregard for tradition is well known. They use this to rally support, look at the hoard you drag in. Malachite, furs, meat, salt, vegetables, gemstones, and Dwemer artifacts. What do you need them for?”

gC6xA7x.jpg

Many believe the Chief’s greed will bring the Adversary.

“Nothing, they are for the tribe.” Hjordis growled back. He stood up and paced around Gjulkar in a circle. “With these goods we will be able to afford building more for our people. Right now Hirstaang is the strongest tribe without a doubt, and Moesring has the best fighters. How can we thrive with such dangerous enemies. I have sent you to both many a time to become friends with them, yet the tales of old show that will mean little. One day Solstheim will be dyed with the blood of the three tribes again. One will stand tall over the rest, and then it will fracture into three once more.”

Gjulkar shook his head. “For one so cynical how can you believe that? It still doesn’t justify why you want this to happen either, to make us fat with supplies.”

“The fact that someone so cynical believes this should give it credence. Our people may be doomed to this cycle yet that does not mean I want the Felsaad to be of those that fall. If tempting the Adversary is the risk we must take then so be it.” Hjordis said coldly, whilst clenching a fist.

“What proof do you have that this will aid us?” The chancellor was still not for the idea despite his chief’s passion on the subject.

“I need no proof for them, for they will show that they only care for their own selfish interests, like the Adversary.” Before Gjulkar could ask what that meant Hjordis continued. “Give them some of my ‘hoard’ to share with the tribe. They will disquiet themselves and prove all they wanted was power.”

Still skeptical the chancellor just nodded. “ I will inform Kolfinne at once then my chief.” at that Gjulkar left the hut.

Can't ever go wrong with character development and amusingly enough, Imperials have raids/wars much sooner then the barbarians. Can't wait to see the son's raiding together when the time comes.
Aye I'm already lining it out on the side how that goes. Hopefully it'll pay off, not too long from it as very little happens in the first decade. After all it is just gathering gold and prestige. Luckily I got a lot of good events from my steward surveying the county, and the mint coin option from my life focus. Like four in one year, naturally I picked to cut the coins to gain gold and prestige XD

Not certain if I should include all the trade expeditions I went on in one post or separate them out.

Aye I'm already lining it out on the side how that goes. Hopefully it'll pay off, not too long from it as very little happens in the first decade. After all it is just gathering gold and prestige. Luckily I got a lot of good events from my steward surveying the county, and the mint coin option from my life focus. Like four in one year, naturally I picked to cut the coins to gain gold and prestige XD

Not certain if I should include all the trade expeditions I went on in one post or separate them out.
I think the events in the beginning is what really outlines how your dynasty will do for the first 100 years. Haha, those business events are great to start out if your ruler has a decent stewardship level. I'd separate them if you know there isn't going to be a lot of action just because it gives you something to work off of per chapter or put a twist into things; that's taken from experience as times of peace can be horrid for a chapter.

I think the events in the beginning is what really outlines how your dynasty will do for the first 100 years. Haha, those business events are great to start out if your ruler has a decent stewardship level. I'd separate them if you know there isn't going to be a lot of action just because it gives you something to work off of per chapter or put a twist into things; that's taken from experience as times of peace can be horrid for a chapter.
Much appreciated as a reward here have a preview for a few chapters ahead.

fCS6frU.jpg

Prosperity always brings jealousy from those less favored. Let's hope that Hjordis's foresight pays off.

And I'm going to second Branden regarding separating the trade events. If there's not much going on, you can at least get a little mileage out of showing how the men of Skaal react to each region they visit differently.

yay new chapter! Make the chapters longer and less numerous if you have to.

yay new chapter! Make the chapters longer and less numerous if you have to.
I'll figure something out. Don't worry chapters are only as long as they need to be. If the flow makes a chapter about eating at a feast longer than one about a crucial battle than that's how it's going to be. I care for pacing so the next one will be rather long compared to the last few. Though that is my prediction haven't starting typing just yet. A good deal happened on the expedition.