• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((Private))

At the age of sixty-four, Don Esteban Alonso Fitz-James Stuart y Silva finally started to feel his age bearing upon him. He served the monarchy all his life. Since he was a young man, he has been assisting to enforce the cause of Carlism both by pen and sword and held public offices for thirty years. At times he wondered - what would have it been to live a private life instead of political one? To spend more time with his children, in his manors? Perhaps he would not have experienced the blisses and joys of glory and authority - and yet maybe he would be happier? As many aging men, he also missed the court of Carlos V, his iron will and pragmatic mind that held the Realm together. He was very loyal to his successor - and yet Carlos VI and his love for art were not as understandable for Don Esteban as his august father was. The first was a friend - and the other was only a master. The Duke of Alba for the first time in his life started considering, after a few more years, to consider leaving tiresome public service and enjoy the pleasures of honorable retirement. But first he had to ensure that if the new blood pours into the veins of the Council of Ministers, it is good blood. If he goes - he could not leave His Catholic Majesty at the pleasure of vultures and foxes.

The Duke of Alba's address to State Council

((Public))

Dear colleagues,

First of all, I must mention that some of ideas expressed by the good Duke of Seville are in the wrong. He, it seems, somehow believes that people possess inherent political rights such as the right to assemble and that by denying them our August Sovereign, the King, would be a tyrant. This was the logic of the French revolutionaries - and following this path, you could reach very dangerous assumptions. First you say that disallowing assemblies would make the King a tyrant, next you claim that the King is a tyrant if he is not limited by a rule of an elected council, and then you declare that the head of state is a tyrant if he is not elected by the mob, but gains his power by birthright!

it should be clear to all of us - His Catholic Majesty rules this country absolutely by the Grace of God and the range of political rights of His subjects are only at his discretion. Even we, the councillors of state, sit here not by right - but by privilege and upon the order of the King,

Therefore the question whether the King should allow or ban public assemblies, should be decided upon from the following point of view - whether they would be useful for His Catholic Majesty and the state?

We should understand one thing clearly - seditious and rebellious public assemblies, where rebels are free to criticize the monarchy and utter blasphemous statements should not be allowed. We all remember that the armed Jacobin groups that have been for many years threatening the public safety, we all remember how dissentious assemblies brought down many regimes. Therefore it is very important to separate patriotic and royal assemblies from rebellious manifestations.

Regarding the Balearic home rule, I would say the following - up to now the Duke of Menorca did not provide the State Council and the Cabinet any evidence proving the fact that these islands, in cultural, political and economic sense, is a separate entity that should posses autonomy. The Balearic people speak Spanish and a dialect of the Catalan language, their cuisine consists of Catalan and Spanish dishes, their culture is Spanish in their essence - what reason, administrative, cultural or economical, exists there to separate them politically from the mainland Spain?

((Rich))

Last edited:
((Private))

((Public))
Dear colleagues,

First of all, I must mention that some of ideas expressed by the good Duke of Seville are in the wrong. He, it seems, somehow believes that people possess inherent political rights such as the right to assemble and that by denying them our August Sovereign, the King, would be a tyrant. This was the logic of the French revolutionaries - and following this path, you could reach very dangerous assumptions. First you say that disallowing assemblies would make the King a tyrant, next you claim that the King is a tyrant if he is not limited by a rule of an elected council, and then you declare that the head of state is a tyrant if he is not elected by the mob, but gains his power by birthright!

it should be clear to all of us - His Catholic Majesty rules this country absolutely by the Grace of God and the range of political rights of His subjects are only at his discretion. Even we, the councillors of state, sit here not by right - but by privilege and upon the order of the King,

Therefore the question whether the King should allow or ban public assemblies, should be decided upon from the following point of view - whether they would be useful for His Catholic Majesty and the state?

We should understand one thing clearly - seditious and rebellious public assemblies, where rebels are free to criticize the monarchy and utter blasphemous statements should not be allowed. We all remember that the armed Jacobin groups that have been for many years threatening the public safety, we all remember how dissentious assemblies brought down many regimes. Therefore it is very important to separate patriotic and royal assemblies from rebellious manifestations.

Regarding the Balearic home rule, I would say the following - up to now the Duke of Menorca did not provide the State Council and the Cabinet any evidence proving the fact that these islands, in cultural, political and economic sense, is a separate entity that should posses autonomy. The Balearic people speak Spanish and a dialect of the Catalan language, their cuisine consists of Catalan and Spanish dishes, their culture is Spanish in their essence - what reason, administrative, cultural or economical, exists there to separate them politically from the mainland Spain?

((Rich))

Mr President of the State Council,

Does the Most Honourable Grandee not agree with me that the public manifestations organized to inform the Government of the problems that the Spanish people may face are not per defenition patriotic nor rebellious, but nevertheless incredible helpful and needed. If you would permit me, Mr President, I wish to quote the Proverbs: "Whoever closes his ear to the cry of the poor will himself call out and not be answered" and "Open your mouth, judge righteously, defend the rights of the poor and needy". As written in the Holy Scripture the need for public discourse on the plights that the Spanish people may face is vital to live a pious life and will undoubtedly strengthen this Most Catholic Kingdom.

The Representative of the Franciscan Society of Schools

((Focus on the Pious Men of Spain))

Mr President of the State Council,

Does the Most Honourable Grandee not agree with me that the public manifestations organized to inform the Government of the problems that the Spanish people may face are not per defenition patriotic nor rebellious, but nevertheless incredible helpful and needed. If you would permit me, Mr President, I wish to quote the Proverbs: "Whoever closes his ear to the cry of the poor will himself call out and not be answered" and "Open your mouth, judge righteously, defend the rights of the poor and needy". As written in the Holy Scripture the need for public discourse on the plights that the Spanish people may face is vital to live a pious life and will undoubtedly strengthen this Most Catholic Kingdom.

The Representative of the Franciscan Society of Schools

((Focus on the Pious Men of Spain))

Most honorable Senor,

There are manifold ways of informing the authorities of certain problems, either perceived or real, without organizing public manifestations which are (currently) both iillegal and demanding in their nature. For public manifestation is very often but an attempt to force the authority to bow down before your will. And the principle of humility, respect and obedience towards the authorities are among the founding principles of any truly Catholic state. I may provide the State Council with several quotes as well.

"All of you must obey those who rule over you. There are no authorities except the ones God has chosen. Those who now rule have been chosen by God. So whoever opposes the authorities opposes leaders whom God has appointed. Those who do that will be judged. If you do what is right, you won’t need to be afraid of your rulers. But watch out if you do what is wrong! You don’t want to be afraid of those in authority, do you? Then do what is right, and you will be praised. The one in authority serves God for your good. But if you do wrong, watch out! Rulers don’t carry a sword for no reason at all. They serve God. And God is carrying out his anger through them. The ruler punishes anyone who does wrong. 5 You must obey the authorities. Then you will not be punished. You must also obey them because you know it is right. That’s also why you pay taxes. The authorities serve God. Ruling takes up all their time. Give to everyone what you owe them. Do you owe taxes? Then pay them. Do you owe anything else to the government? Then pay it. Do you owe respect? Then give it. Do you owe honor? Then show it." (Romans 13)

And when one expresses his wishes in an disobedient and arrogant manner, demanding something from the God-given rulers instead of humbly asking for it and accepting "no" for an answer, and in meanwhile overcoming the earthly hardships with dignity and humility- he starts to walk the path of Satan.

Also there were many times public assemblies have been led by evil people and demanded for evil things to be done. We should remember that a mob, publicly assembled, has demanded the death of Our Saviour. A public assembly is not something that is inherently good - everything depends from its aims and nature. And one is rebellious or harmful - it certainly should not be allowed. "Like a muddied spring or a polluted fountain is a righteous man who gives way before the wicked. "(Proverbs 25:26)

((Pious Men))

Last edited:
Again the Most Honourable Grandee mistakes those who speak for the poor and the needy with those that oppose the Droit Divine of our most revered Monarch and it is a harsh truth that in our Kingdom sometimes the problems of the Working Classes are not heard by the authority because of the intervention of less pious men than ourselves and the working classes of Spain. I agree with the Most Honourable Grandee that everything depends on the nature and the aims of the Public Assembly, however, to take away this tool of discourse and empowerment of the Catholic Community to listen and be heard in fear of wicked men is a great tragedy. It should be with care and decisiveness that His Most Catholic Majesty should allow the people of Spain this most humble dais.

((State Council - Private))

Most honorable Senor,

There are many ways in which the information regarding the problems of the poor can reach the ears of our Monarch. Are not there His Viceroys and governors, picked by Him to guard law, justice and take good care of the regions entrusted to them? Are not there the courts and Royal Audiencies? Is not there the Council of State? Is not there the Holy Church, the traditional defender of the poor - the parish priests are always well informed of the problems of their flock? Are not there manifold ways in which one can file a petition or a request?

To inform the King of his problems one does not have to leave his factory or farm and fill the street, organize screaming mobs and so on. We must all remember that mobs interfering with politics often led to disaster - even if they started as peaceful, ambitious demagogues made them more and more aggressive, someеtimes completely changing their initial aims.

Therefore we must understand that banned public assemblies are better than unregulated and anarchical, yet allowed ones. Before the idea is seriously considered, I would like to see not the vague, if well-meaning, concept, but a number of answers. How? Who? When? Under what conditions?

Last edited:
gMztLXG.png

Reactions:
To my beloved father (private to Kein)​

Dear father, I wish to ask for your blessing, now that I am getting older and I am to attend a military school, like my uncle before me, I wish to ask for your blessing that I may enroll in the Prussian academy. The same one that the great Prussian generals has studied at as well as the one that my cousin, Prince Wilhelm of Prussia will surely study in at some point.
I ask your blessing to go to Prussia as they have been the attention of most modern wars, and as such have developed a most excellent system of command and I am sure I will learn much there.
I also ask as I have heard that Uncle Wilhelm is a kind older man, and as such I know I will be welcomed by my family in Prussia during my stay, as well as feel at home in the duration. Not to mention gaining a closer relationship with my cousins.
If you approve I would like to ask for an allowance as you see fit.

Your son,
Fernando.

The military life had never captivated the King himself, he nevertheless had developed a deal of respect for the Carlist generals in the War of Restoration, and as such had harboured vague thoughts of sending his second son to the military, however he had favoured the the navy; for if Spain were to maintain a revitalised empire abroad, surely it would be built upon the back of the navy?

Cementing the bonds of family the princes shared with Prussia would be no evil thing, however, as the preeminent North German state had become an increasingly important partner on the international stage in the past years. Even if he did intend to take a navy-first strategy, Prussia had proven herself to wield a formidable land force, lessons learnt would not go entirely to waste.

He thus decided to acquiesce to Fernando’s request and made plans to send both Felipe and Fernando with the expectation that Felipe may thence travel, after a time, to Russia or the United Kingdom. Carlos hoped that his younger son might find some joy in learning abroad as he himself had once done, and that witnessing three very different political systems may give the elder prince a broad understanding of their varying strengths and weaknesses.

In mid 1869, the arrangements taken care of, the King fondly bade his sons go with God, and saw them depart for Germany.

~*~​

Carlos still remembering the march to Madrid, now some thirty years gone. He had returned home after the Bilbao and joined the troops under Zumalacárregui on their slow, bloody advance towards the capital. In his mind it was a time when the sun shone and his companions were jolly, yet he could not help but think that was a somewhat idealized memory, born as much from his own romanticism as the fact he had been kept away from the most vicious encounters. It had nevertheless fostered a great deal of respect for the men who had fought and given their lives for the justice of his father’s cause and not the least their leader.The Capitán-General had been the last of the Carlist generals, who had swept his father to his throne, to remain in public life, his passing in some ways marked the end of an era.

GN6tN6X.png

To His Excellency, the Duke of Victory

As your father once wrote consolation to us upon our royal father’s departure to the arms of the Lord, we now mourn together with you the passing of a great general, and more importantly a pious father. In recognition of the manifold services rendered over the years and view of the esteem with which we held him we wish to posthumously bestow upon him the order of the golden fleece. We pray that he may smile from the Lord’s side.

I remain,
Carlos VI, Rey de España

~*~

GN6tN6X.png

To His Majesty, Miguel II, King of Portugal and the Algarves

Dear Cousin, it is with grief that I learn of your father’s demise, he was a monarch of great conviction and courage who did not hesitate to stand in the face of adversity in defence of the dignity of the Portuguese throne. I say to you with fondness and warmth that Spain and I remain a constant friend to yourself, to your line, and to Portugal.

I remain,
Carlos VI, Rey de España

He also wrote to the Prime Minister and Queen Dowager expressing similar sentiments, as well as his intention to attend the late King’s funeral and spend a fortnight in Portugal. The ever-expanding network of rail lines across Spain had begun to facilitate distance travel like never before.

In the week following the funeral of his uncle, Carlos insisted upon visiting the Ramalhão Palace where he had spent a year of his youth after exile from Spain and once again marveled at the exotic frescoes that decorated the interior of the neoclassical residence. He did not of course, intend to merely sightsee on this trip. With the Queen Dowager, a woman of great faith, he took the opportunity to quietly raise the idea of renewing the union between their houses, mentioning a future match between the young Miguel and his own daughter.

At times deploying his less than perfect portuguese (that he had not-so diligently studied and occasionally practiced upon his step-mother), he interacted with the Portuguese elite with a gentle bonhomie and quiet charm that came far more naturally to him than the day-to-day requirements of government. Indeed, his advisors remarked that they rarely saw the King so relaxed as he was on that short visit.

At the end of his visit he formally, and with great ceremony inducted his young cousin into the Spanish Order of the Golden Fleece, a traditional honour granted to foreign sovereigns though not usually bestowed by the Spanish King in person. An array of High ranking functionaries and ministers were also bestowed with various degrees of the Spanish honours.

((Target: Our Portuguese Friends))

((Apologies for lack of update. I know that it's final season across the world, so I will be delaying updates a bit more then four days so that people (including me) can study for finals and not worry bout the game. I am going to let Luftwafer (Head of State Council) open votes for bills and proposals in the State Council))

As head of the state council it is within my perogative to open the floor for voting. So with a proud heart I request you either vote aye, nay or abstain on the following proposals

1. The Autonomy for the Balearics bill
PROPOSAL to GRANT the BALEARIC ISLANDS
a GIVEN DEGREE of AUTONOMY
and SELF-RULE,
AUTHORIZING them to ORGANIZE a DEPENDENT LEGISLATURE,
CAPABLE of the ISSUE of EDICTS and ORDINANCES, SUBJECT to the ABSOLUTE AUTHORITY
of HIS MAJESTY, KING CARLOS VI, of ARAGON, CASTILLE, ETC.

2. The repeal of the Ban on the right to assemble. While not proposed in this council there are widespread calls for the repeal and as an advisory body we must vote on whether he King should be advised to listen to or ignore these calls.

((It is time for our first ever vote in EIM.
The rules are everyone has one vote.
You may either vote AYE, Nay or abstain.
You have until Wednesday at 8PM EST to get your votes in
Remember to bold your votes so they are easy to pick out

The autonomy for the Balearics bill: Aye/nay/abstain
The repeal of the ban on the right to assemble: Aye/nay/abstain ))

*The Duc de Menorca arrives in Madrid in time to make his voice heard on crucial matters of state. He is plainly tired from the long route that he was required to take in order to reach the capital, a distance of over 400 miles.*

Autonomy for the Baleares Bill: Aye
Repeal of the Ban on the Right to Assemble: Aye

"While I do not prticularly care for the liberal claim of the right to assemble, I believe this is a matter of simple pragmatism. I will support a repeal of the current policy to the end that it will bring to the clearing those voices that may have otherwise been difficult to find.

As for my own proposal, I am now present to answer any questions that may be present among this august body, at least to that degree which I may speak authoritatively and without petty plays to emotion, as I predict opposition to this path may garner."

1. No
2. No

1. No
2. No

Will the Duke of Autonomy please explain why his bill is specific to the Balearic Islands? Why does he not propose a federal system instead of creating an exception?

I see no reason to support either measure; I vote no, and encourage His Most Catholic Majesty to ignore such proposals that undermine the primacy and sanctity of His person and investment.

However, I believe that, for the sake of the Kingdoms, certain measures must be introduced to further impress the subjects of the Crown and upon the world of the Godliness of the Spains; therefore, I wish to propose to the Council, and more expressly to His Most Catholic Majesty, the following proposals:

The Act of Abolition
All those left unfree from the Abolition Act of 1852 shall hereby be regarded as free subjects of the Crown as of the 1 January the following year of this act's passage.
Those freed from servitude shall serve for a period of no greater than three years, starting the above mentioned date, as a fair and just compensation for those whose livelihoods may be placed at risk.

The Child Labour Act
Noting that the usage of children under the age of eleven has remained in place and further noting of many drawbacks as such, restrictions shall be placed upon children working in industrial factories wherein their lives and safety are placed at great risk.

~ Sr. J.M. de Correia e de Medinaceli, Interior Secretary

-

With the added resources now available to the ministry, and further noting the need of clergymen and the like across the Kingdoms, a national standard of two per cent of the population of every region being of the cloth and a further one per cent of the same being bureaucrats and administrators of varying sorts to allow for the better provision of state and religious services, as well as the necessary moral infrastructure for a moral and educated society, be enacted.

Furthermore, in more fully utilising the powers granted to this office by virtue of its moulding with the Secretariat of Public Works, it is deemed advisable that the munitions factory in Leon, and the cannery in Andalusia, be expanded as needed to take into account further expansion of the working classes there. Lastly, a fertiliser factory is recommended to be financed and constructed in Andalusia to allow for the fertile fields of that region and others to be made more productive; this factory shall either remain in the Crown's possession or sold for a fair and equitable price.

~ Sr. J.M. de Correia e de Medinaceli, Interior Secretary

1. No
2. No

Will the Duke of Autonomy please explain why his bill is specific to the Balearic Islands? Why does he not propose a federal system instead of creating an exception?

While I am unfamiliar with this "Duc d'Autonomy" of whom you speak, if I may assume you are addressing my proposal, I will speak on his behalf. There already exist within the Kingdom of Spain two exceptions to the otherwise direct rule of Madrid - I am certain you are aware of Navarra and Catalunya - which have proven quite successful in their internal administration, although it must be said that the Catalans are disloyal people and do not deserve the rights they are given, but that has been the case since long before they were granted autonomy by this nation's prior King.

The Baleares possess their own unique dialect, a unique history, a strong loyalty to the homeland, a geographically isolated location, and a culture far different than any other in the Iberian Peninsula. I have submitted this proposal because I understand this body to be understanding, and in turn to realize that as long as the Basque Country and Catalunya are granted special rights and privileges, those rights and privileges should also belong to the Baleares, a region which has proved far more loyal to the Crown. I believe the silence of my opposition has made clear that there is no objection to the material which I have provided other than a purely emotional one.

Duc de Menorca

~ His Royal Highness Infante Enrique, Duke of Seville

1. No
2. No

As I have said, allowing the public meetings in a vague form without putting any appropriate restrictions is dangerous and unreasonable. As to the Baleares, the Duke of Menorca did not provide us with any proof that these territories culturally, economically and politically should be given such wide autonomy.

1. No
2. No

As I have said, allowing the public meetings in a vague form without putting any appropriate restrictions is dangerous and unreasonable. As to the Baleares, the Duke of Menorca did not provide us with any proof that these territories culturally, economically and politically should be given such wide autonomy.

If the Honorable Duke of Alba wishes to see for himself the unique cultural traditions of the Baleares, he is certainly welcome to leave his ignorant position in Madrid and visit us. I believe that many regions of this country would be glad to finally be granted the attention they deserve from the First Minister.

Duc de Menorca

((Just clarifying, this vote is for everybody or just landed nobles?))