• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Tegetthoff

General
14 Badges
Apr 14, 2006
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
  • Rise of Prussia
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
So here is the new version:

http://www.gamefront.com/files/25145892/CORE2_0_7_0_7.exe

Checksum is KSPN

B/W gfx pack dated Jul. 28, 2015:

http://www.gamefront.com/files/25146872/CORE_B&W_Graphics_070.exe

changelog:
mall changes to province.csv and event_text.csv by Denniss
Zsar:
ai/alb_1936.ai
- added infrastructure = 1.0
- added province 415 (Pristina) to construction/IC_provs
- added Infra_provs block to construction
- changed max_garrison_prop to 1.0 from 0.3
- changed war to 0 from 1
- changed upgrading to 1.0 from 0.2
- changed reinforcement to 1.0 from 0.2
- changed exp_force_ratio to 0.1 from 0.75
- changed construction/max_factor to 1.0 from 0.05
ai/eng_1936.ai
ai/switch/eng_attack.ai
ai/switch/eng_atwar.ai
- removed several entries from garrison/country_priorities
ai/ita_1936.ai
- changed infrastructure to 1.0 from 0.1
ai/switch/eng_exp_france.ai
- changed exp_force_ratio to 0.23 from 0.15
ai/switch/ita_atwar_eng_fra.ai
ai/switch/ita_greece_attack.ai
ai/switch/ita_greece_buildup.ai
ai/switch/ita_homeland.ai
ai/switch/ita_homeland_normal.ai
ai/switch/ita_neutrality.ai
ai/switch/ita_reset_garrison.ai
ai/switch/ita_russia.ai
- removed entry max_garrison_prop
- removed block garrison
- removed block front
- removed entry min_garrison_prop
ai/switch/ita_build_land.ai
ai/switch/ita_build_standard.ai
- moved one point from hq to garrison in block military
ai/switch/ita_greece1.ai
ai/switch/ita_greece2.ai
- all content cleared as these files are not actually used
ai/switch/ita_greece_attack.ai
- changed exp_force_ratio to 0.15 from 0.1
- changed sole entry to ALB from GER in block exp_force_ratios
- removed entry VIC from garrison/country_priorities
ai/switch/ita_greece_buildup.ai
- added exp_force_ratio = 0.15
- added exp_force_ratios = { ALB = 1.0 }
- changed min_garrison_prop to 0.75 from 0.45
- rebuilt garrison/area_multiplier block
- removed entry max_front_ratio
- removed all but GRE and SCH from garrison/country_priorities
- removed all entries from garrison
- removed blocks ignore, province_priorities from garrison
- changed min_garrison_prop to 0.65 from 0.4
ai/switch/ita_reset_garrison.ai
- added provinces 974, 975, 980, 1013, 1014, 1081, 1082, 1083 to garrison/ignore block
- emptied garrison/country_priorities block
- emptied garrison/province_priorities block
- changed garrison/home_multiplier to 1.5 from 1.2
- changed garrison/overseas_multiplier to 1.0 from 0.3
- rebuilt garrison/area_multiplier block
- removed provinces 916, 917, 918, 926, 927, 928, 931, 1059, 1065, 1068, 1069 from garrison/ignore block
config/event_text.csv
- changed ED2460001 to description for new event 2460001 from a duplicate of ED2460010
- corrected typo in ED240020
- removed obsolete entries EN460019, ED460019, EN2460001, EAA2460001
db/events/core_AI_Vanilla_AI/cored_ai_eng.txt
- made event 24005 start in september 1939 rather than january 1941
db/events/core_AI/Vanilla_AI/Cored_ai_revolters.txt
- removed event 15017
db/events/core_AI/Vanilla_AI/cored_ai_trade.txt
- added missing IC restriction to all triggers (How did I miss this all this time!?)
db/events/flavour/flavour_Italy.txt
- added events 2460001 and 2460002
- picture request: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...nload-core-0-70-6.866462/page-2#post-19591456
db/events/gameplay/core_Albania.txt
- added delay to the trigger command in action_a of event 110010
- added "event = 110010" to the trigger of events 110000 and 110001
- removed "ispuppet = ALB" condition from mobilisation triggers
- removed trigger, date, offset, deathdate from event 110010
- reordered commands in action_a of event 110010
db/events/gameplay/core_Ethiopia.txt
- added relaxations to trigger of event 330019, in order to catch cases of extreme italian success
- removed reference to deleted event 460019 from action_a of event 330020
db/events/gameplay/core_Italy.txt
- added picture "Ethiopian_tribesmen" to events 460282-460284
- changed flag check in trigger of event 460006 from AOI flags to End_of_ETH flag, so that this event can happen first and free MP for the AOI events
- removed check for flag Italian_Ultimatum from event 460000
- removed trigger of event 460018
- removed event 460019
- removed set_flag of End_of_ETH from action_a of events 460036, 460282, 460283, 460284
db/events/gameplay/core_Vatican.txt
- added event 1200127 to set_flag of End_of_ETH and end_sanctions_choice signifying ITA victory in 2nd Abessinian War
db/events/vanilla/cored_italy.txt
- added end_mastery command to action_a of event 2902
- added trigger command for event 110010 in action_a of event 2902
- changed ai_chances of event 2902 to 100 for action_a from 97:3 - temporary until puppet ALB can be handled in the Balkan campaign
- removed set_flag of Italian_Ultimatum from action_a of event 2902
db/leaders/commiechina.txt
- name of leader 76421 changed to "Dong Qiwu" from "Dong Qiwu6"
scenarios/CORE_1936/ALB_36.inc
- added "puppet = ITA"
scenarios/CORE_1936/ETH_36.inc
- changed manpower to 96.7 from 2 to account for the total army strength of 300.000

Hagar:
255 new or reworked province pics for North and South America
+24 USA and Canada new or reworked province pics
+14 Canad and Middle East new or reworked province pics
+25 Iran, Afghanistan & USSR new or reworked province pics
+11 USSR, Congo & Angola new or reworked province pics
+12 more Africa new or reworked province pics
New Chiffriermaschienen / Enigma TT pic
New M9005 minister pic (Mário Pais de Sousa)
Three as yet unused Indochina event pics
Armd:
New map and province_names.csv

2015-07-28
-> CORE 0.70.7 for AoD

Last edited:
Tegethoof I´d appreciate if you add a mirror elsewhere - some countries can´t download stuff from Gamefront (including you guessed it, Brazil).

New b/w gfx pack added to first post.

Mirror site: will see what I can do before my holidays, but maybe somebody else can post a link.

Hi,

The placement of the Fallschirmjager divisions on the INF list models the fact that these units were more parachute in name than function late in the war. Having them as INF gets the historical divisions in the game with a ground combat capability that closer matches how they really fought. Of course an ahistorical GER player can build these units as PAR and you'll never see them as INF. This isn't perfect. But IMO it is better than just having these divisions on the PAR list and seldomly seeing them in game.

mm

@Zsar:I took the liberty of fixing a few typos in your new ITA/ETH event texts, mainly the missing use of capital letters upon writing italian/ethiopian.
Also, the text for ITA event 460280 ends abruptly in mid sentence?
The action name for ITA 460282/460283/460284 reads "And lo" is that a typo or did you want to use this expression? (I had to google it, so just wondering :)
http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/38741/use-of-and-lo-in-a-sentence

Attachments

• core_Italy.txt
    287,5 KB · Views: 118
  • core_Ethiopia.txt
    31,3 KB · Views: 154
"And lo" is indeed intended. I must note that I find that Stackoverflow topic amusing to read. Apparently I am more involved in fairy tales than I thought.
Nevertheless, I find the idiom pretty fitting in this particular context: Empire of Italy.

Event text 460280 is not intended. Apparently an oversight as I code with automatic line breaks turned off. It has been committed that way before 0.70.6.
... Need a bit to provide proper text - will follow.

[...] the missing use of capital letters upon writing italian/ethiopian.
I will readily admit that my grasp on capitalisation in regular english sentences is woefully shaky. Regular mistakes notwithstanding, I have been under the impression that I should capitalise nouns only, so "ethiopian troops" <attribute>, but "Ethiopian Empire" <composite noun> and "Ethiopia", "Ethiopian" <citizen>.
- That may not actually be correct. A link to a contemporary dictionary explanation of the technique would be much appreciated.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/words/using-capital-letters

I researched some more and changed some names in the Italian OOB in East Africa. I found some (better) Italian names for the 4 GAR units in Eritrea+Somalia and assigned them leaders. Turns out 3 of them (Giuseppe Malta,Amedeo Couture,Alderigo Redini) don't seem to be in the ITA leader file yet, so they should be added to the ITA file. ATM I assigned them the next free leader IDs.
Oh, and leader 6366 Francesco should be renamed Bertini (someone switched personal name and surname).

I also changed the names of the 19th,24th,27th and 29th divisions; apparently they had different names in 1936 than later in World War II. This change might cause problems with unitnames.csv though, leading to doubled unitnames.

Attachments

• ITA.txt
    70,8 KB · Views: 270
Thank you for the link. Looks like I handled that correctly (mistakes, again, notwithstanding).

I also changed the names of the 19th,24th,27th and 29th divisions; apparently they had different names in 1936 than later in World War II.
Mmh, I would rather have you revert that one. The issue here is that these unit are pre-reorganisation 9bn divisions - they would be dissolved in 1937 and new units created. In the scenario incidentally, most of these new units, are ahistorically present in mainland Italy and locked.
- I am still mulling over an elegant solution to this problem.

Last time I checked, these four divisions do have their correct 1936 names already, do they not?

--

In case you wonder: I am not touching your files right now. Not in a position to do so; probably will come the weekend, though.

--

Actually, reading that first paragraph on that page again, I find it ambiguous in exactly such a way as to not answer my question. Damn you Oxford, where is that quality you claim!
African [...] Shakespearean
- Are those people (and therefore nouns) or attributes or both?

Last edited:
Ah, I see.

Some divisions have different names at the same time but in different sources, one of those is usually the name of their commander, inflected to signal possession, essentially >>5th Division "Graziani's"<< (name and number chosen arbitrarily).
Most of those also have a name of some geographic location.

I will have to look up later, whether this is the case with these, as unfortunately I did not note these things down when I noticed them.
- Also always a possibility that one source simply uses an anachronistic name while another does not; I would have no means to recognise which one is correct.

--

Also thank you again for that link, which states clearly that adjectives and similar attributive words are to be capitalised as well. I will try to memorise that.

Hi,

WRT to unit names, it is always interesting deciding how to represent units. Gernarally, I went with the WW2 period name if there was a conflict. I defibititely avoided removing/replacing units unless there was a substantial change in composition. That path generates a lot of real issues in game for both the AI and the human. So at this point I'd just go with the typical WW2 usage for these divisions. Also of note, if the "name" associated with a division is ad hoc/unofficial it should not be used unless there is no official designation.

WRT to the AI file changes there do seem to be a lot. Much better change log than mine. OTOH, it seems like we may be reverting things that I'd relatively recently changed to help the ITA AI. For example, the reset Garrison AI was set to avoid a number of Attrition provinces on the borders of Libya. This helps ITA and I doubt that ITRW Italy had large forces sitting out in the desert. Also the shifts in home/overseas settings seems designed to send/keep substantial forces in NA and this simply wasn't at all how RW Italy deployed her forces during peacetime. IMO there is plenty of time for AI ITA to redeploy after was breaks out when on the standard path. And if the path isn't standard then AI ITA should be in a different position. Anywys, wondering what the overall design thrust is here. Thanks!

mm

Hè, if only Tegettoff would use a bit of BBCode to keep it as pretty as I send it. The last two times now I had planned to submit a "public changelog" in addition to my detailed one, but did not get around to it either time. Mayhap for the next version.
- Or I guess I could pre-format it with BBCode; not too keen on that, though, as it is an important tool to me before I wrap up and commit a set. In notepad BBCode would only distract.

--

The largest changes in the AI files are cleanup without effect: Many of the values do not actually change anything but rather just reapply an existing value. Considering that ITA does not have an intricate setup to switch in different behaviours for different situations, it can be said that those duplicates never have any effect.
- I remove those rigorously to promote readability of the AI files; a couple of times now I changed something, only to be puzzled at the AI seemingly ignoring it - because another file silently reverted the change.

That written, the libyan garrison parameters are a work in progress and very much unfinished. ITA definitely should have some units on both borders when it enters the war, but arguably these are too many right now. However, I had just adjusted ENG not to place too many units there itself, so lowering the amount on the italian side was not yet feasible. - Had I not been travelling last week, more tweaking could have happened before the new version, but as it happened, what exists was deemed fit enough.

Regarding the home/overseas ratio, it is my desire to always have the larger of the two be normalised to 1.0. This allows to actually recognise their ratio at a glance, whereas the arbitrary values from before necessitated calculation to be understood: If one is 0.7 and the other is 0.5, then it is visible that the former is larger than the latter, but by how much? Furthermore, if both are supposed to gain a fraction of the "normal" amount of units, then why not just lower said normal amount (aka why have a normal amount, if it is not actually used)?
- To me, it is fundamentally nonsensical to have neither value be 1.0. But again, the proper balance is not yet found. Indeed, it currently seems to be better to lower garrison/overseas_multiplier further, rather than change the libyan priorities.

Much of the imbalance in this field comes from the interactivity of many of the parameters; balanced values in one place may become nonsensical when those in another need to be changed. Case in point: changing min_garrison_prop will invalidate garrison/overseas_multiplier insofar that the resulting number of units allocated may move beyond desirable boundaries.
- I could not check or interpolate proper adaptions to the values I did not want to change - so I just guessed and tested whether my guess was too bad. It was my feeling that I had arrived at "still bad but acceptable" before I had to go, so I bundled it up as it was. Considering that Kennelly since found a couple of faults (even if cosmetical ones) for me, I dare say that was a good idea.

I had the entire French Army disappear on me as GER. They only had ten divisions in Metropolitan France when the war started. The only reason I didn't overrun them was because a premature Vichy plays havoc with some event. The Low Countries had more divisions. I wonder if I smeared them too much.

Hi,

FRA: Never seen this before. Can you go back and load any saves as fRA to see what was going on?

ITA AI: Removing duplicate entries is indeed a good idea as they do clutter things up. If I was doing this as a new project all of the AI files would get broken into much smaller components and an AI change would typically load multiple discrete small files rather than the current large multipurpose files. But too much work to change over now. So:

Reappliction: I generally assume that any AI commands completely overwrite previous lists. So whenever there are possible desired changes I reload the entire list. Plus at times reload lists just to be sure that if the AI files get loaded in a nonstandard order that we still get the desired results. As long as the AI can't get loaded wrong streamlining the code is good.

Garrison: I agree that ITA should garrison the border in 39/40 prior to war breaking out. But this should happen after the ita_atwar_eng_fra ai fires. So there isn't any need to use the reset_garrison ai file to do this in 1936 and then eat the attrition loses for 3 years. I'd note that the previous settings were producing something close to the May 1940 force allocations IIRC.
Max/Min Garrison: Part of the shifting here is designed to release troops from the Garrison AI to the Front AI. Which is why Atwar ENG FRA settings of 90/70 drop to 60/40 in Neutrality. Not thinking that using 0.65 will get many forces released to the Front AI.

Overseas: For some reason I had a devilish problem getting ITA to send any forces from ETH back to ITaly proper. All of those units seem to end in NA no matter what settings are used.. One reason I did they event driven HQ redeployment. So the final result I achieved was keeping ITA from sending even more forces there. The ratio idea you are refering to makes logical sense. But it still seems like the settings you are using should put more forces into NA than I had and my level was still way to high prior to 1940.

mm

Mmh. It would not seem plausible for ITA to abandon its colonial holdings during peacetime - and it does make for poor positioning in case of an ahistorical war.
Additionally, transporting troops takes a lot of time - more so for the AI which has no logic at all for selecting proper start/end point provinces. Combine this with a Mediterranean, which is very unhealty for ITA to enter before the fall of France and I am rather reluctant to keep Libya empty until the war heats up. Additionally, I am under the impression that Italy did indeed post notable forces on both borders.
- Of course, the current numbers are too high and will be reduced. But to provide a steady garrison does still seem desirable.

There are problems with that of course. Emptying all the land overseas is trivial, as soon as merely "most" units need to go, it gets complicated. Case in point: without the HQ relocation event, as long as just one unit stays in east africa, it may be that HQ. Similarly, if all units were retreated to the mainland first and then spread out again - the HQ might end up being the first unit to go.

I do currently not have any logic in place to keep east africa empty - because it was not. As of this version, all outcomes of the Abessinian war should once again result in some sort of garrison deployment event (a logic error present before I started my work, which the prolonged war made much more visible, led to the garrison events often not firing in 0.70.6), so it might be desirable to just lock the assorted units and indeed setup the AI to abandon the place. Problem with that is that some cases leave ITA without mobile units there (most notably the standard case of "annex ETH, provide native garrisons").
- As we have already agreed on a later introduction of a protectorate puppet state, which would always prompt evacuation of all the mobile proper-ITA troops anyway, I would still accept this setup as a placeholder. Arguably ITA is better off with as many units north of the Suez as possible and even with the Asosa gold mine, there is not really a compelling reason to protect the land from incursion of ENG.

Last edited:
Hi,

I'm not suggesting that NA and AOI be stripped of units. But I don't want to see the May 1940 deployment in 1936 either. Considering the shortness of the transit and the typical length of time available from the start of the war to ITA entry I think that a rather small garrison in NA is both historical and practical even for the AI. I'd think a couple of divisions on each border would counter the ENG/FRA forces arrayed against them prewar.

mm

Then, broadly, we are in agreement.
Will see what I can do. Needs quite a bit of testing (also have to see whether my rather isolated change to ENG has the desired effect on the egyptian border) to see how much is enough.