• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

alxeu

Hunting werewolves.
100 Badges
Feb 11, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Semper Fi
  • March of the Eagles
  • Magicka
  • Sengoku
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • For The Glory
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Darkest Hour
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
Welcome To Diplomacy
The game of European intrigue

TF3rZML.png

Ever wanted to take control of a European country during the greatest struggle of the continent's history? To make and break alliances in an attempt to outsmart your adversaries and take over their land? To spend nights agonizing over whether you can believe Germany when it tells you that Britain is planning on stabbing you and moving into the channel next turn? Then look no further, Diplomacy is the game for you! Lead one of England, France, Germany, Italy, Austria-Hungary, Russia or the Ottoman Empire to glory or defeat by the power of your carefully written messages. Sway the minds of other players and analyze them to know who to trust, and who trusts you. And in the end, achieve victory or annihilation. There is no middle ground! (Except in a draw. Those happen too)

The Game Rules

I)Basic Version
Panzer's Suggested Reading, according to him, it is the most clearly written and easy to understand version of Diplomacy's Rules that he's found. It doesn't cover everything, and you'll probably have to pick some things up as you go, but if you've never heard of diplomacy before and want to get playing in less than 10 minutes, this version is for you.

II)Full rule book
In case you'd like to dig a bit deeper, or have a question about what would happen in a specific situation, this probably has it covered. There are multiple editions of the rule books but as far as I know few differences between them. In case of conflict this is the one I will be following.

The Forum Rules

The Sign Up

You sign up by posting in this thread. Please at least specify which country you'd like to play, and whether you'd rather be a senior or junior diplomat(more on that down below).
Ideally, you would rank the 7 countries in order from your favorite to least favorite to play. Thus assignments will not be strictly on a first-come first-served basis, I will try to choose a distribution that pleases the greatest amount of people.

The Deadline and Turn Phases

The deadline for all phases will fall at 21:00 GMT of the appropriate day.
The game will advance at a pace of 1 year-per-week.
The game will start at 21:00 GMT this Monday(May 7), unless one or more nations have no players. The first Spring phase will be resolved by Wednesday. 24 hours will then be allowed for disbands/retreats. The fall orders are due Saturday. An extra 24 hours will then be given for fall retreats/disbands, ending on Sunday. Finally the first build phase will be over on 21:00 GMT Monday May 14. Rinse and repeat. In case a retreat/winter phase isn't necessary on a certain year, its deadline will simply be ignored, and you will have one extra day for the next phase's deadline.

Extra Rules

Diplomacy is all about forging and breaking alliances, be they public or secret. Nothing a player says is binding, and you are allowed and encouraged to do everything in your power to win, so long as it is not illegal or against forum rules.

Opening conversations with other countries is essential. Lying about what other countries told you and forging PMs from them is expected, every now and then. You can even forge private messages from the GM.

You can also make anonymous announcements by PMing the GM any message and asking them to post it without specifying a source.

Diplomacy has no ghost rules. Dead players and non-players/observers are allowed to post anything they want in the thread, talk privately with players, provide assisstance and advice or simply interesting analysis and commentary, and even make anonymous announcements too should they need to for some reason. Observers in Diplomacy keep the game interesting for the other players and are always very welcome :)

Preliminary orders

This is by no means a rule, but it'd be preferable for players to send preliminary orders right after reading the latest update. This would not take much time, and it serves to prevent a civil disorder. You can subsequently send me a better set of orders in the next day(s), but your nation won't be destroyed by a civil disorder in case you forget/don't have the time.

Writing invalid orders

I will NOT be letting players know about invalidly written orders beforehand. This is to ensure that "whoops, I wrote that by mistake" is still a valid strategy. You can't exactly do that if everyone knows the GM would have told you to correct it before the deadline was up. Junior diplomats are, however, very welcome to point out to their seniors if they think an order has been mis-written.
On the other hand, I will send reminders to players if the deadline is only hours away and I haven't actually received any orders from them yet.

Junior Diplomats

It is encouraged to have multiple diplomats per country. Junior partners can share intrigues, spread rumors, discuss strategies, conduct diplomacy and send orders. Basically do anything a senior can do, which is everything that is legal and within forum rules. Latest set of orders apply. However, senior diplomats reserve the right of asking me to make their orders override those of their junior(s), for one turn or all subsequent turns. The juniors will replace the senior should the latter quit the game in some way. The GM will decide which junior replaces the senior.

If you have any questions about the rules, please feel free to shoot me a private message any time and I'd be more than happy to answer you as fast as possible.

IF YOU HAVE ANY SUGGESTED RULE CHANGES, PLEASE POST THEM IN THE THREAD.

And of course, have fun :)

The GM for this game is Alxeu.

This lime green thing is my GM color. Posts made in this color contain game-related info. Posts in white are usually banter and can be ignored safely.

The players:

TF3rZML.png

(Panzer Commader, the previous GM, gets first pick)

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland - @Jacksonian Missionary, @brovahkiin
French Republic - @Axixos, @KF25
German Reich - @Panzer Commader, @Adamgerd
The Empire of Austria-Hungary - @barkardes
Kingdom of Italy - @Premu, @Dedonus
Russian Empire - @aedan777 @Rovsea
Ottoman Empire - @jeray2000 @madchemist

Senior diplomats @-ed so you can more easily contact them.
Also, junior diplomats will be @-ed too.

Former players italized

Last edited:
Reserved for Timeline

Reserved for Timeline

You all can start joining now, I think!

My first attempt at GMing a Diplomacy game, hopefully it goes well. Using jDip for order processing, if someone, specifically, Panzer, has a better program, lemme know, and I'll check it out and probably use it. jDip was the first one I found that I knew how to use, so I chose it.

In!

1. UK
2. Russia
3. Germany
4. France
5. Italy
6. Ottomans
7. Austrians

Also since @Panzer Commader has hosted 2 straight games I think he deserves to have a spot held for him if he wants to play.

I'll notate that in the 2nd Post.

1. Russia
2. Germany
3. Ottomans
4. Italy
5. France
6. Britain
7. Austria

First of all, thank you very much for hosting! Very exciting to be able to play on these forums again :)

You all can start joining now, I think!

My first attempt at GMing a Diplomacy game, hopefully it goes well. Using jDip for order processing, if someone, specifically, Panzer, has a better program, lemme know, and I'll check it out and probably use it. jDip was the first one I found that I knew how to use, so I chose it.

Okay, so I know of 2 programs: jDip and Realpolitik, and I acutally debated which one to use for a while before settling with realpolitik, but jDip is also good. I'll try to give a quick comparison so you can decide for yourself:

Realpolitik:
-Has the pretty map mod, which is what I used. Note that it won't automatically update province colors for you - you have to edit the main map file in paint every turn(do it in GIMP. It's optimized as a GIMP file, so you can easily change a full province's colors with a single paintbucket, and don't have to fiddle with anything). But it does move the armies around which would probably have been the hardest part.

jDip:
-Recolors the provinces AND moves the armies! So your work would be much simpler. However, its map is sort of cartoonish, and it only colors supply centers which might bother some people. I am sadly not aware of any prettier map variants for it. So if you choose to use jDip you have 2 options: Post its own, slightly less realistic maps(I wouldn't mind at all, though others might) or use it only as an adjugator and recolor the whole maps and move armies by yourself(Wouldn't recommend, at least if you're of my skill level in paint/paint.net/gimp. If you're more experienced with them, it may not be a problem for you)

I've played some dummy games for fun on jDip but have more experience with realpolitik and only noticed one bug in each, though jDip's is more severe:

If you try to play the Ancient Med map in jDip, I noticed that one sea province is incorrectly coded as land-locked, preventing either armies OR navies from moving to it(this is not intentional). It shouldn't affect this game, but I don't know if similar bugs exist for the standard version.

In Realpolitik, if a country missed a turn(NMR'd) and had one of its units dislodged, it is automatically disbanded instead, and doesn't give them the option to retreat it, which can be a pain to fix.

Also since @Panzer Commader has hosted 2 straight games I think he deserves to have a spot held for him if he wants to play.

I'll notate that in the 2nd Post.

Thank you for that, much appreciated! :)

1-Germany
2-Turkey
3-Russia
4-UK
5-France
6-Italy
7-Austria

Though, honestly, I'm absolutely fine with most of these except for the last two which I'd only take as a last resort

We already have seven players. :eek:

Everyone got their first pick, except Barkardes. @barkardes if you don't want to be Austria at all, let me know, but someone is going to have to be Austria, and everyone chose it as their bottom choice. :confused:

I can bite the bullet and play Austria if Barkades really doesn't want to play them.

As a junior diplomat (if that was not obvious, since the senior diplomats are filled and this is only my 2nd game) (and if the senior diplomat agrees):
1. Germany

2. Austria-Hungary

3. Italy

4. UK

5. Italy

6. France

7. Russia

Since everyone has a nation, I'll start sending PMs for orders out.

If @Panzer Commader wants Adam as his junior, let me know, otherwise, @barkardes also gets a say.