[Dev Team] 2.1.4 beta patch with Observer Mode, new MP system [checksum cbaa]

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Jamor

PDS Producer
78 Badges
Mar 7, 2017
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • BATTLETECH
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
Hi all, cool news for you:

Today I'm happy to announce that a new version of PDX multiplayer is ready for testing, with much improved connectivity and stability, as well as expanded in-game features to help you connect with friends and play together. The end goal is to create a system that will unite all players, regardless of which distribution platform they bought Stellaris from, in a single multiplayer environment. Before we go fully live with it, we want to offer it to interested parties as an OPT-IN BETA PATCH.

This will help us expose the system to greater stress and find issues before full release. We're putting this optional beta on Steam right now, but we're not asking you to help us test it for nothing: 2.1.4 also includes the debut of the much-requested STELLARIS MULTIPLAYER OBSERVER MODE.

We're happy to finally have observer features available like in other PDS games, to allow you to spy on your friend's MP in the most benign or horrible ways you can imagine.

#################################################################
######################### VERSION 2.1.4 ###########################
#################################################################

###################
# Features
###################

* Added observer mode to multiplayer, with numerous observer-only events to keep track of what's happening in the whole galaxy
* Added a new multiplayer system to allow cross-play across all supported platforms
* Added tons of empire info to hotjoin menu
* In MP, added a player map mode that displays player name instead of empire name on the map, and greys out AI empires
* Added filter check box for non-player controlled empires in galaxy/contacts view

###################
# Balance
###################

* Removed game rule restrictions for making claims when you have a Colossus

###################
# UI
###################

* Added "-observe" command line argument to start directly in observer mode

###################
# Modding
###################

* You can now script the size and distances for the "stacks" of orbital ships around planet: PLANET_ORBIT_STACK_SIZE and PLANET_ORBIT_STACK_DISTANCE in 00_defines.txt

###################
# Bugfixes
###################

* Added a bunch of missing text strings
* Fixed an issue where the number of fleets in orbit around a stellar body was capped, leading to hilarious results like not being able to queue movement orders there, because parking sucks in this town
* Fixed a bug where lacking a suitable planet to terraform in to a Gaia world, the nanites would terraform the star instead
* Fixed advanced start AI empires lacking additional colonies on game start
* Fixed an OOS related to ship design upgrades
* Properly reset the retrofit list so it can rebuild correctly when switching ship design in fleet manager
* Fixed more things that could lead to multiplayer OOS

Please note this is an opt-in patch. You have to choose to activate it.

Steam library -> Right click on Stellaris -> Properties -> Betas tab -> choose "2.1.4_beta"

There it is, folks. Give the new MP and observer mode a try, play with your friends on every platform, send us the issues you find, and we'll work together to produce the best possible full release version.

Are you ready for the Stellaris Dev Clash?

* Added observer mode to multiplayer, with numerous observer-only events to keep track of what's happening in the whole galaxy
KWl6pqT.jpg

D...Does this mean we... we get... a Stellaris Dev Clash? :O
We've already promised it. It's just a matter of (space and) time :D

So now there's observer events? Or just some sort of observer country?

Can I use them in singleplayer somehow?

Not sure exactly what you are asking for here, but I will try to see if I can answer anyway;
1: Observer mode does not put you in the game as an "observer country" but rather outside of any country.
1b: There is interface support to let you observe the game from the perspective of any empire in the game, while being blocked from taking actions as those empires.
2: There are some events in the game to notify the observer of important things happening in the galaxy.
3: Observer mode is available in singleplayer through the console command 'observe' or the mentioned launch command (i think.)

Not sure exactly what you are asking for here, but I will try to see if I can answer anyway;
1: Observer mode does not put you in the game as an "observer country" but rather outside of any country.
1b: There is interface support to let you observe the game from the perspective of any empire in the game, while being blocked from taking actions as those empires.
2: There are some events in the game to notify the observer of important things happening in the galaxy.
3: Observer mode is available in singleplayer through the console command 'observe' or the mentioned launch command (i think.)
So observer now actually glues me to a country like in HoI4? Approximately the same effect as typing "human_ai" and taking control of a country would have but with blocked control?

So observer now actually glues me to a country like in HoI4? Approximately the same effect as typing "human_ai" and taking control of a country would have but with blocked control?

No, not at all. You CAN do that, and then switch to another country using the interface, or go back out to being a neutral observer.

So I could now do some timelapse "AI only" without using console if I want.
By the way does it affect perfomance somehow?

So I could now do some timelapse "AI only" without using console if I want.
By the way does it affect perfomance somehow?

1: Yes, you could go into observer and see all empires go about their business at the same time from afar :)
Though you may have to use the console command 'observe' to enter observer mode in SP, as it is primarily an MP feature. But if there is a big enough interest, I suppose we could look in to adding a button on the start menu to run an SP game as observer.
2: It really shouldn't, and while we did have some interface related performance issues during development, afaik those have been resolved :)

But if there is a big enough interest, I suppose we could look in to adding a button on the start menu to run an SP game as observer.
It would be a nice feature cause most players will never read devs forum posts. If they see the button they will at least know that it is possible, so maybe some of them will create timelapses or some other youtube content. I enjoy watching Civ V AI only timelapses on youtube in the evening.

Not the first priority ofcourse.

Thank you! I love observer games and this is what I always wanted out of it.