Dev Diary #16: What has been seen cannot be...

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

HBS_Mazzoni

Private
1 Badges
Nov 6, 2018
  • Harebrained Schemes Staff
Hello again Mechwarriors. Marco Mazzoni here, back to talk about my favorite topic: ‘Mechs.

Last week I talked a bit about what it took to bring the Bull Shark into the game, and in this post I’m going to go over what went into the art side of bringing the other 9 classic ‘Mechs back to BATTLETECH. If you’re interested in the game design aspect of this, you should check out Heavy Metal’s Lead designer, Ryan Burell’s excellent series of posts here, here, and here.

Since 7 of these mechs are a major selling point of this paid expansion, I wanted them to look their absolute best. We determined that one of the more efficient ways of doing this without breaking the already established style of the base game is with the textures.

Base Textures
As an example, here’s what I started with as a base for the Marauder. As you can see, it’s pretty much a blank slate at this point. There are actually a few reasons why we don’t use all of the texture information from PGI’s models. For one, we’ve found they simply don't read well with the distance that our game camera plays at. The other reason, and this is important to me, is because adding our own little touches lets us feel more connected to our work. If you’re not enjoying your work, no one else will either.

ApKKmSRRyEPVV696V2_RRSfNDMivdS_jKsR3HggS2OZFN9rB5B8jse40-DYVna-k32JIkmXiZDL1PEYZZKR_Er8eant7O3qYMc8BBfSoTxlh_nKf3f0K2nDDmpE_Lalp1SgyulNS

This is actually missing the normal map, but I add that before the next step

From here I take screenshots of that base model into Photoshop and start painting in the textures. All of the ‘Mechs in our game have a base texture treatment that includes heavy volumes of rust and surface battle damage. I love that this makes them look like they’ve already gone through several generations of war, but it can have the side effect of hiding some of the more defining features that sets these machines apart from one another. We can be more deliberate in how we apply the wear and aging effects by pushing all the dirt and grime into the edges and corners of the panels.

syvXEOXXFMIYjGi_OWDZ3Fzhct6CTP4F0DEtZEfpLEcrOXMGAOvhCzY4YTj8e2j8TIqu9aSVz7NDsxpc2UAIn2-8CHro9JfbM7xGZjv5IqpJKvt80YgFSJcq4P7qIoiV9gGEs0v9

These sheets always have notes and production markings to make our goals clear for the contract texture artists

Special Cases
As you can see, I made a special call-out to change the cockpit canopy from glass to metal. This is a call back to the original design that only had one small forward facing cockpit panel. Modifying the geometry of these models was a bit out of scope for this release, but since we have full control over the textures, I wanted to take advantage of that to make a few personal tweaks to make a nod to the original designs.

The other ‘Mech we modified was the Assassin. There’s always been some debate as to whether the dome on top is cockpit glass or some kind of blacked out sensor suite. I personally always saw it looking like the rubberized black material on ED-209’s sensor dome, so I wanted to represent that take here.

HMx8pEzPkMTMTd-D7JEGYxk896wfgHkn_-biizfXiDbmpQ4wW5_CpJTkw7uAixtw0wHI6YTy6y3R3JTm-KPfQODfHU9wyRc8lTD1yB-hrje3dzAWyEIRb-m3h5KXkbhIAz9epOoJ

I’m with Ryan here, I love the look of this ‘Mech

Taking a cue from some of my favorite mini painting techniques, I gave all of the new ‘Mechs tinted cockpit glass. I think the black glass on our standard mechs looks great up close, but it doesn’t have a whole lot of impact at a distance. Here’s the full set (minus the Bull Shark, you can check that one out in last week’s dev diary)

IoZ2lLQa3BrVPUNw6cFmyFyi5yimQdshXQxsDmb01xaYhjWriyIIFrGeF0639CqfJ1lgILsl64UWY5hXJ4vR3vL2vCBEQuJBu2cPjA1npbA16IyjRBWMazR36095KJbk9NWBk0ef

Most of these are unequiped at this stage, as we didn’t have the exact loadouts locked down until later in the process and I wanted to avoid any confusion when handing these over to our contract artists.

Here’s how it looks on the model.

ichB53swXO-RdSQ5uAm85F_eiZeqJZidGKMLb76YcK_eSfve-VgZdl0u7f23vNbAD9CPUP1-Kmvtj-GfWF4DRy3fjAtCgPw_F7NGEI03C4ipnaddQ3TuMsFAuTdKdlYCLhAz1hjI

The Marauder as it’s never been seen before!

Paint Schemes
Once the base textures were all on track, I was free to focus on the paint schemes. I try to cover as many different themes as I can for each ‘Mech so the player can maintain a theme throughout their company (camo, stripes, organic, blocky etc.)

9qktMA6--R_fx0FCGWoqE3EvglBxtxU5JRpClWFq3yZLq5M5HeWvd2NtvABoMsPrOzVLJt5ZOdjvmN2n8MhEt6UmW2V40b1RIV6VB3hSbpr9ydY1YdjuxrvoZQ96acm06NIiY2u0

Some patterns, like Phantomas, are repeated across different mechs

I did a lot of these...

-rwuMXfaOeQJKLDHbCjwZDTO79QOyw2NSgA1fvOE3l0spFh-gKdfTYhZ-jrjRGr69VsSZFZIQADGmvy7DKXsfJVAcTbe0KVX1EX0w0Al3oA5c6G_R1eTBCaqmWp-akCAgGSEBZp2

Seriously though… I love this part!

And here’s how they look on the model.

uW9GGBO5j6MjotRlRaUw7c0RJdytcyH67stszayUc7_yS2_Wt3gFbFHbtk03I-3VIwhP89U55m-W-RaIUOHBEaCmeTin-PX3ghDBWsz_01xchAbSw5zB7HoR-kw6WZ96NYRGpa5I

Mech Viewer
So now that we have all these shiny new ‘Mechs looking their best, we need a way to show them off. Up until this point I’ve had an incredibly difficult time recognizing the paint schemes I’m applying to my ‘Mechs… which is unfortunate because I designed most of them! Something I’ve always wanted in this game is a better way to appreciate my collection. Thankfully, I wasn’t alone here. Our UI/UX Lead, Erik Fleuter, already had some gears going for how we can solve this.

0vp_R3po5aW5s4zl2TU3pXxKIuOCp0l40xtmkws_wsyQmyQkXIB1Y8-VlZJ7IyIooCWJpDXtOdvov8eCKEsIPZEyDTrcY9My-P7-_2_cjvbNe6vuix2ARCjFE7mrWbhqKPTk96To

This is a rough mock-up that he made early on that they didn’t get a chance to implement.

Using that as a jumping off point, I made my own quick mock-up of what I thought this could look like. The two main things that I wanted was to change the camera to at least one more angle from a more top-down perspective so I could get a better representation of what I’d be seeing on the battlefield, and the ability to spin my ‘Mech in place. Thankfully around this time I noticed a mod was out there that already did that last part, so I pointed it out to our tools engineer Chis Eck, and he had our own version of it hooked up in no time. All we had to do was tune the rotation speed and add some audio and that part was good to go.

TSYB5VHEVdO0ctoWV9c0uNKN4LD1NI15-86d0krIxHWtF9AU8CHC0xLR4Y9JE2_oktr3X6N7awUEudjmjMeOC4bn5whTWLkDIcVKEBwYk23hK4jLlhqdN3mIORyMt4iZNAq_Wu_4

It cluttered up the main mechbay screen a bit too much, so we kept everything to the “refit” screen, but you’re free to spin that ‘Mech anytime!

Now I should point out that this feature was actually out of scope for what we were initially planning for 1.8 and Heavy Metal, so another round of thanks to Mitch for letting us squeeze this in. Feature creep is dangerous but I think this risk paid off. It really adds to the ‘Mech collecting experience and I catch myself spending far more time in the Argo spinning “mechs and taking screenshots.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you haven’t played the Heavy Metal Flashpoint mini-campaign and don’t want anything spoiled, you should skip past this next part.
When you get to the final battle in the Unknown Origins Flashpoint campaign, you’ll find yourself in the middle of a heated rivalry between two of the most notorious Mechwarriors in Battletech lore…

dmBXVAgflNtC-B9iZerawNImUgwdrBbS41myh1E-8-Ir9tI5ZUDVYyhxDtJ4-YCgDjhbizK0aF-vfc50nF_ojarra2pzXsPHtyETH21Q1Bt4n-uAZKSvKJRTDuaSQk-bZ_TcD7-K

FIGHT!

During this battle, if you take the time to look, you’ll notice that not only do these two have legendary abilities, they also have the mechs to match! Much like the new mechbay viewer, this wasn’t in the original scope of the expansion, but it was relatively low risk and there was enough excitement on the team to pull it off that we figured it was worth doing.

To start with, we picked a paint scheme and color combo that was at least close to what we wanted, but we still weren’t happy with how rough Black Widow’s Warhammer looked (it’s described as being in pristine condition, which is impossibly rare for a mech as old as this) and I wasn’t satisfied with the variations in green that I was able to get with our stock colors for the Bounty Hunter (his mech is described as being more over-the-top with it’s bright green C-Bill theme)

sB5vcEKNWE1VuzMmO260fWQvbZvfnYXUC0cYgd9lVRUp72Wc2RN669vZKdQBEK3aHbTDZnOb7d_9H4a0PhsJfw66s1HpLB68CFE8UZbozUDpBeJy6Sfl7OcoAsbaSMu1u2MzqChK

It’s fine as a base. We could have shipped with this and called it a day, but it wouldn’t have done them justice.

Since this came in so close to ship, there wasn’t time to coordinate another batch of textures for our contract artists, so with some guidance from our tech artist Lee, I went in and edited the albedo texture sheets myself, cleaning up any scratches and adjusting the colors. For the Bounty Hunter I also added some flashy metallic C-Bill logos for maximum bling.

Check out these wallpaper worthy shots that Lee grabbed.

8BvlltCJNZ-ezyZLhwOXR9mTAYHg5f9R1E-2zTIvGwpzuSBKw63IlR9qL6yJ6QoXeMtv6CXSmkO1sUrEKxn2ss3Jsb-vg_lgJxYMPvdviu63Ix6k9DVBm6fRO1C2ym0v9OI_CDNV

Cleanest 'Mech in the Inner Sphere… but how did she get such a well maintained Warhammer?

ThxnfG1gVBq7E8CVXSxO4ChgiMKIrS9YPLAdPTh1U1voXXd1s9pluAn9EOL9l8O3xmreEncATJeuyfD5QWghwI5PgTAPpDl9RPh-fx9D4OaZPcVbwRiixkHUrxgiR_LB3i6GQI4Y

C.R.E.A.M.

Their lances also got some small adjustments to match, but less so, since we really wanted these two to stand out.

Ok, it’s safe and spoiler free now...and that’s all I have for this round. Thanks again for reading and playing our game!

Just for the hell of it, here’s a bonus gif of the Heavy Metal key art to show the process.

2cpIR9wf6C08VO5TX0DHwwpTM5TtcAuNjt1KDmFTig7HG3wykkINRdI9RK0ysYSwRiOQrPTXE3ht8zwZctCCUkX01L0tCvpZl0trLPoB4txWQ_vottj3ebHpWsHoJTUelwBqidUL

Steps: thumbnail, sketch, 3D blockout, paintover, paintover, paintover, done. And one more paintover...

@HBS_Mazzoni , thank you for the dev diary.

I just want to say that I love the decision to add weathering to the mechs. Showing wear and tear makes them feel multigenerational and emphasizes the 'just keep them running' feel.

If HBS ever has a Clan expansion/Sequel, I hope that HBS considers PGI's approach of designing Clan mech skins as shiny and clean (to reflect the newer mechs and more resources at hand the Clan has for maintenance).

I know that any talk of Clan is purely hypothetical, and may never come to reality in this series. Still if it ever does, I think that visual indicator of clean and shiny vs rusty and scraped/dented really tells the story visually of both sides of the conflict.

Just something to keep tucked back in ones mind...just in case :).

dmBXVAgflNtC-B9iZerawNImUgwdrBbS41myh1E-8-Ir9tI5ZUDVYyhxDtJ4-YCgDjhbizK0aF-vfc50nF_ojarra2pzXsPHtyETH21Q1Bt4n-uAZKSvKJRTDuaSQk-bZ_TcD7-K

FIGHT!
I swear I heard the music kick off in my head and my hands almost twitched for the arcade joysticks! : )

Everything here is just so well done - Top-of-the-line Quality, Attention to Detail and Artist Passion for the Work at hand.

Thank you and all of Team HBS for an amazing capstone to our Kickstarted BATTLETECH Experience. :bow:

While I still hold out hope for the four Kickstarter “Hero” Skirmish Lances (Black Widow, Eridani Light Horse, Sword of Light, Fox’s Teeth), you’ve already knocked out one of these Lances to the absolute highest of standards, complete with Lance-level Abilities!!! One can only hope it makes its way into Single and Multiplayer Skirmish Mode at some point.

Again, thank you one and all for every ounce of effort, every minute of work and all the oodles and oodles of Passion brought to BATTLETECH in general and HEAVY METAL specifically. It has all been deeply appreciated by your fans and customers. Thank you. :bow:

Once the base textures were all on track, I was free to focus on the paint schemes. I try to cover as many different themes as I can for each ‘Mech so the player can maintain a theme throughout their company (camo, stripes, organic, blocky etc.)
I appreciate the different themes. :)

Mech Viewer
So now that we have all these shiny new ‘Mechs looking their best, we need a way to show them off. Up until this point I’ve had an incredibly difficult time recognizing the paint schemes I’m applying to my ‘Mechs… which is unfortunate because I designed most of them! Something I’ve always wanted in this game is a better way to appreciate my collection. Thankfully, I wasn’t alone here. Our UI/UX Lead, Erik Fleuter, already had some gears going for how we can solve this.
It's surprising how much of a difference this makes, particularly for me taking the time to select a good paint scheme.

Just for the hell of it, here’s a bonus gif of the Heavy Metal key art to show the process.
That's kind of mesmerizing.

Thanks!

I have trouble telling the patterns apart in the Mech Bay, and forget to change them during the Refit function. It would be nice if there was an option to pick the pattern/paint scheme for my entire company in the "color selection" screen. I just end up with a random jumble of patterns, usually based on which ones throw my most defining color up as most visible on the battlefield.

Mech Viewer

0vp_R3po5aW5s4zl2TU3pXxKIuOCp0l40xtmkws_wsyQmyQkXIB1Y8-VlZJ7IyIooCWJpDXtOdvov8eCKEsIPZEyDTrcY9My-P7-_2_cjvbNe6vuix2ARCjFE7mrWbhqKPTk96To

PLEASE Tell me this may actually be a thing in a near future update, this will really help me pick a good color scheme as the little atlas model is terrible at figuring out what colors going to pop where on any given mech that may have more secondary than primary color and sometimes the "accent" even appears more than the other colors combined in some cases, to be able to look at one of my mechs or even just customize each one individually like this would be awesome.

PLEASE Tell me this may actually be a thing in a near future update, this will really help me pick a good color scheme as the little atlas model is terrible at figuring out what colors going to pop where on any given mech that may have more secondary than primary color and sometimes the "accent" even appears more than the other colors combined in some cases, to be able to look at one of my mechs or even just customize each one individually like this would be awesome.
This. A thousand times this!

The current "customise your paintscheme" is sadly terrible. :(

This. A thousand times this!

The current "customise your paintscheme" is sadly terrible. :(
"Terrible" is a strong word. It works, and works rather well with the new camera views where you can see the whole 'Mech up close.

The only improvement I'd want is for it to be accessible from outside the Refit screen, and/or be able to switch between 'Mechs.

Oh, and if I could paint my 'Mechs different colours that'd be dandy as well.

Yeah... as much as I wanted it, the color picker had to be cut in order to save the rest of the feature. Since the entire mech viewer was outside of the original scope of the release, we had very limited resources to pull from (it took quite a bit of convincing from Erik and myself to even get what we have). Our UI can do some really strange things when you modify it, so every element we touch requires a disproportionate amount of engineering and QA time to support it. Certainly anything's possible in success and all that, but frankly I don't imagine we'll be touching that part of the UI in the near future.

awww that sucks, well i REALLY hope that you manage to persuade folks to work on it for a future patch or DLC cause its something i've wanted for a long time though i am still very happy to get mech spinning in XD but it is quite a hassle to keep going form the customize company then back to the mech bay every time you want to check out how the colors look like on an actual mech, and we all know that looking good is half the battle.

another question while i'm here i noticed in one of your design pics where you indicate the importance of having the company heraldry visible on the mech, i cant seem to find any heraldry on just about any mech i have no matter what pattern i choose, any word on that getting fixed at some point?

The new mechs (at least the ones I'm spinning right now) don't have this issue, but what's up with some of the release mechs having those ugly blue splotch textures in places? Changing the color scheme never gets rid of them and they look... sorta bad.

For example, the HBK-4G's hunch.

The new mechs (at least the ones I'm spinning right now) don't have this issue, but what's up with some of the release mechs having those ugly blue splotch textures in places? Changing the color scheme never gets rid of them and they look... sorta bad.

For example, the HBK-4G's hunch.
I think they're supposed to represent unpainted metal? They're in different places with different camo schemes, so it's probably something intended.

Of course, it might just be a legacy from MWO, which has the same issue in spades (or at least had when I quite 3-4 years back).

I love the beat up paint schemes on the mechs. I think the well-worn appearance fits the overall theme of the Inner Sphere and their efforts to keep ancient tech running.

Either that, or paint is Lostech :).

Seriously though, I like the aesthetic.

"Terrible" is a strong word. It works, and works rather well with the new camera views where you can see the whole 'Mech up close.

The only improvement I'd want is for it to be accessible from outside the Refit screen, and/or be able to switch between 'Mechs.

Oh, and if I could paint my 'Mechs different colours that'd be dandy as well.
No sorry - terrible is the right word. :(
To have to go into the company menu initially is a pain (customisation would have made more sense imho from the mech bay menu).
The Atlas is a poor representation of what the schemes will actually look like on most other mechs.
The colours in the colour-picker are not representative of the final appearance.
The 3 different selections are unclear.

As you say being able to switch mechs alone would be a massive improvement.

Don't misunderstand me...I love this game (~600h played according to steam so about double the next entry in my library), and I love the new camera views. I completely understand the restrictions and limitations the devs are working with, but from an objective standpoint the painting tools are poor :(

from an objective standpoint
Please don't use that phrase while talking subjective opinion.

It works. Could it work better? Sure. But describing it as "terrible" is a purely subjective opinion, not an objective fact.

Looks like we'll have to agree to disagree.
:bow:

In my opinion (and yes, I know this makes it sound like an oxymoron) and trying to remove subjectivity from the equation as much as possible the painting tools are objectively poor - nobody could possibly describe them as good. And this combined with the other listed issues equals a net "terrible" result.
Yes, they work after a fashion. Does that make them somehow less bad? I'd have to say no.
Is there any thing as a truly objective viewpoint - probably not, everybody has biases.