• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((If that's everyone, I'll try to squeeze in some play time this weekend.))

Sergios was well outside Aniketos' chambers before he realized he hadn't been given an opportunity to speak of the influx of skilled craftsmen and the new works they could build. That was worrisome, if the Strategos decided to take issue with it. But he'd care more about a lack of progress, Sergios was sure. He immediately went to the workers' area to seek out men who knew of fortifications, in order to hire them as overseers. He would set them to work replacing Corinth's current palisade with a low stone wall. It could easily be built further out, giving room to expand the soldiers' barracks. And if more farmland was placed inside, it would be easier to tax the farmers. They wouldn't be happy, but no doubt they'd remember needing to flee before armies just a decade ago. Inside the walls their farms would be safe. Of course, if it came to that, they'd find themselves manning the wall defending their farms. But they'd probably not think of that until it was too late.

(( Sorry, this completely slipped my mind! Pop the improved keeps tech and then upgrade the castle walls in Corinth. ))

Eupraxia let out a huff as it seemed like Sergios had no interest in his new son

((Sorry, for some reason my post didn't post correctly. I need @alscon to review the file again; I accidentally booted up Conclave with this save, and it works, but there are loads more education decisions to make. That means educational foci, etc., instead of assigning guardians.))

Sergios returned home after plotting out the new walls. At the sight of his family, the worries of his position faded away. He picked up Demetrios and smiled at Eupraxia. "It's such a delight to see you all. And how wonderful that Sebastianos will be under your tutelage. We should probably find someone to teach him weapons work. You'd probably enjoy that, wouldn't you, Seb?"

(( Though it's not my choice, and he's not on the list, I propose Eupraxia's son be given the struggle focus. ))

((I won't have access to CK until next week, but you can just pick the focus appropriate to the guardian.
For example, Narses who should specialize in intrigue picks Thrift/Intrigue, while the half-brother whose name I forgot picks struggle/martial.

And I'll agree to whatever Eupraxia plans for her children, for Aniketos couldn't care less :p.))

Sergios returned home after plotting out the new walls. At the sight of his family, the worries of his position faded away. He picked up Demetrios and smiled at Eupraxia. "It's such a delight to see you all. And how wonderful that Sebastianos will be under your tutelage. We should probably find someone to teach him weapons work. You'd probably enjoy that, wouldn't you, Seb?"

(( Though it's not my choice, and he's not on the list, I propose Eupraxia's son be given the struggle focus. ))

Yes, you will need to learn how to use weapons if you wish to claim your birthright

((Struggle focus for Sebastianos))

((I know the pace of updates has been quite slow, but this is the nature of the beast. :) By giving you guys more agency to decide what happens in the game, I have to both send information to people, receive it, and THEN find a time to play. I wanted to let everyone know that this is continuing, it's just going to be a bit longer before an update. Thanks for your patience!))

EDIT: ((To clarify: both @alscon and @alxeu have been amazing about getting back to me in a timely fashion; the blame rests solely on me and/or the exigencies of work, life, the universe, and everything.))

((Finally finished playing; sorry about the delays! Update should go up tomorrow, weather permitting.))

Year 2 of the Reign of Aniketos the Cruel

Author's note: It has been quite a while since our last update. I had intended to update yesterday evening, but we lost power again. My wife and I moved to Houston at the end of June (well, a northern suburb of Houston), and while we're both perfectly fine and escaped the horrific flooding farther south, until today, power was very much hit or miss.

On a more relevant note, I apologize for the lack of screenshots in this update. For some reason, I just forgot to take them. :)

2 January 784: Our Steward, recognizing the threat the peons pose to His Grace's domination, has ordered the construction of new city walls. Very wise! I hope they shall be topped by the skulls of our enemies or, failing that, insufficiently praiseworthy friends.

30JRjcV.jpg

10 February 784: Sometimes, you almost pity the morons. This guy asks for the safety of his friend in prison. Turns out, His Grace's Torturer had been so busy practicing new castration techniques that he'd forgotten to blind the original prisoner! We all had a good laugh about it. Well, not Mayor Akakios. Or Mayor Konstantinos, for that matter.

phJtuia.jpg

5 August 784: We have a new court chaplain named Loukas. As long as he does what he's told, I'm sure he'll do fine.

7 December 784: We dug up some dirt on that weak Strategos Maximos. His Grace could have told that rotten old geezer in Constantinople, but frankly, if the Emperor truly wanted to recognize His Grace's value, he would have given him the assignment of Mystikos and not Chancellor.

PI0wWzw.jpg

There were more wars too, but not very bloody ones. Maybe next year...

+10 to @Idhrendur for the new building.

Last edited:
Year 2 of the Reign of Christophoros the Cruel

((I'm pretty sure Christophoros was the old Strategos. Shouldn't it be Aniketos? Another chronicler to put on the rack! :p))

((I'm pretty sure Christophoros was the old Strategos. Shouldn't it be Aniketos? Another chronicler to put on the rack! :p))

((The people who racked the previous chronicler have been racked. :) ))

((I don't think Aniketos has to make any change of plans. Once there is a claim on Rome or the old Basileus dies, perhaps, but not right now. As for betrothals, he has already arranged them, so it would be a bad idea to try to convince him otherwise unless you want to visit the rats of the oubliette :p.

BTW, I think you've got a good enough grip on Aniketos' character now, so to speed things up you just need to ask for major incidents, such as wars. For events I think the option he would pick is now fairly clear.))

The walls around Corinth were coming along nicely. But a quick trip to Achaia's other counties showed some problems. Sergios explained to Eupraxia when he returned. "They even have the infantry and archers practicing in the same space. They can't do so at the same time, so they can only train a few men when they could train a lot. I'm going to take another trip to Monemvasia and set some builders to creating a dedicated archery range like we have here in Corinth. Would you like to come with me?"

(( Upgrade the militia training ground in Momenvasia. ))

BTW, I think you've got a good enough grip on Aniketos' character now, so to speed things up you just need to ask for major incidents, such as wars. For events I think the option he would pick is now fairly clear.

((I assume this is directed at me? It wasn't clear.))

((I assume this is directed at me? It wasn't clear.))
((Yeah. Damn that Lombard king that he had himself assassinated so soon or Aniketos would wear a crown by now!))

The walls around Corinth were coming along nicely. But a quick trip to Achaia's other counties showed some problems. Sergios explained to Eupraxia when he returned. "They even have the infantry and archers practicing in the same space. They can't do so at the same time, so they can only train a few men when they could train a lot. I'm going to take another trip to Monemvasia and set some builders to creating a dedicated archery range like we have here in Corinth. Would you like to come with me?"

(( Upgrade the militia training ground in Momenvasia. ))

"Why not, it would probably be good to get away from the court."

((I will try to play in the next couple of days.))

Year 3 of the Reign of Aniketos the Cruel

16 October 785: On the one hand, I worry that the Strategos being possessed by a demon might make the realm harder to govern. On the other hand, I don't care about that and only want to have a good time. On the other other hand, this should mean a lot more excitement and blood.

mbJJxH6.jpg

((That's practically the only thing that happened. Two wars ended, I started the building, and I picked an education focus for a girl. Dull year.))

+10 to @Idhrendur for starting a new building.

((When I first saw the update, I initially thought you accidently deleted most of the post. :p))