• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Sunshine Moon

Major
20 Badges
May 7, 2019
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Age of Wonders II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
(I acknowledge the likelihood of errors in the Latin title. Let me know if so, and I will edit and correct it. The intent is just to invoke Gildas' doom and gloom and turn it on its head, in any case.)

It is the 8th century, the Britons are nearly outcasts in their own homeland.

Ever westward push the English kings, growing fat on stolen land and becoming a strange hybrid of the age of the world heaving its last breath and the one just now gasping its first. Over the three centuries of their occupation they may have renounced their old gods, but the divide between Celt and German remains stark.

It may be wisely said that a peaceful coexistence between peoples would be the ideal, but the burden for this falls on the aggressor. The only duty owed by the people who have called this isle home since time immemorial is its defence. But there is no Arthur in this time, no Ambrosius. In these dark days, it falls to less glorious folk to put on a brave face and, as they say, begin slitting throats.

De Consurrecto et Revivo Britanniae

Introduction
This will be an AAR starting as the lowly Count Ffernfael of Builth, with the objectives of gaining dominion over the Britons and driving the Anglo-Saxons out of the island, or at least bringing them to heel.

It will be played on Ironman mode, however, as I have never attempted a single-county start before and the location is slightly less forgiving than, say, Ireland, I will be manually backing up my save file in order to avert an early game over after I spent all this prose building this thing up. If I find myself in a completely unwinnable situation, of course, that's that, and I'll probably eventually have another go starting as a petty king, or just the same place but once I've improved at the game. And if I eventually lose in a way that seems to satisfyingly conclude the story, then hey, that'll be that.

The game rules:

-A focus on historicity, quite unlike my usual wild-fun way of playing; so, unusually for me, I have turned off supernatural/absurd events, demon worshippers, Children of Destiny, and the Aztec invasion, and set gender equality to default rather than full.

-For similar reasons, later historical events--the Mongols and the Black Death and such--have been set to happen at their vague historical time periods. This AAR, success or failure, might well never reach the 1200s, of course.

-I want to allow freedom of direction for the course of history, thus options like pagan reformation and the Roman revival are switched on, even though I have no intent of doing them in this campaign. Along these lines, to avoid pushing things in any one initial direction, Charlemagne story events have been turned off.

So, without further ado...

Chapter 1
upload_2019-10-1_1-36-56.png

769. The sub-Roman Britons have been pushed back to the far west of the island; what once was a connected stretch of land belonging to the 'West Welsh' has become isolated; from the Dumnonii lands to the southeast and their cousins on the continent to cut-off Strathclyde, last remnant of the Old North. The might of Mercia and Northumbria goes uncontested. The Picts and Gaels to the far north remain strong, but their violent raids were the reason that accursed tyrant Vortigern invited the Saxons in the first place.

The line of Vortigern yet lives, though, and one bearing the dubious honour of being his descendant is the thoroughly unimpressive Ffernfael of Builth.

upload_2019-10-1_1-44-36.png

Neither cunning, nor warlike, nor possessed of any great skill. At the very least, he is well-read, and not easily swayed once so informed.

Ffernfael sometimes dreams of a united Welsh people, but so do many rulers, and all see themselves as the one to bring this unity, which usually defeats any notion of such a thing actually happening. It would, he thinks wistfully, go some way towards penance for his the sins of his forefather, though...

The other important players at the court of Builth are three:

upload_2019-10-1_1-53-12.png

The countess Sybil, quicker than her husband by far and possessed of a mind capable of great wickedness. She is one of a few who do not view Ffernfael's heritage as a stain on his honour; as she has explained, "the old tyrant had the right idea! Let two enemies destroy each other, see? I only rebuke him for being too dull-witted to pull it off properly."

upload_2019-10-1_1-56-26.png

Mihangel, only child of the peculiar couple, who stands to inherit the county someday. Still with much growing to do, he already spends all his free evenings in his father's library, sharing the love for the precious books.

One of which was personally illuminated by...

upload_2019-10-1_1-59-16.png

Bride, Builth's local bishop and a highly learned man. It must be said that he is far more famous and influential than the Count, conducting personal correspondence with Rome and being said by his flock to have performed miracles.

Spurred on by the histories of the great kings and emperors of old, and advised by those much wiser than himself, in the year 769 Count Ffernfael became gripped with a great fervor to carve out a kingdom. Something greater than this little patch of British land. Something that would be read about in the histories yet to come! As if stirred out of a decade-long slumber, he began the preparations for war. Loans were taken out. Messengers were dispatched, promising adventure and reward for skilled servants of state willing to join his court. And the Count himself began to drill daily. He knew he had no talent, but as the months rolled by, he began to grasp the basics of warfare.

His troops--whose numbers were steadily increasing under the Count's new galvanised eye--even began to regard him as an inspiring presence, even if still not a particularly skilful one.

upload_2019-10-1_2-7-5.png

If the Count wanted a kingdom, the men reckoned, they would be willing to embark on his fool venture. He had become a sort of symbol of determination in the face of all common sense, which the inhabitants of the tiny province could relate to.

Something quite auspicious was secured as spring came towards its end:

upload_2019-10-1_2-10-19.png

A betrothal between the Count's teenage cousin and a descendant of another legendary figure--Caradog, famed for his resistance of the Romans so many years ago. Perhaps this line was what a Britain in the grip of another occupation needed...and what's more, any child of these two could claim ancestry of both Caradog and Vortigern.

Not that said cousin, Braustudd, seemed likely to be interested in the young man...

upload_2019-10-1_2-14-12.png

She was possessed of boundless energy, always running off somewhere...but more notably, just last week the Count had spied her locking lips with the stable-girl! Well, thought Ffernfael that night, his plodding but methodical mind working through the concept, we are all as the Lord has made us, and there was hardly such thing as a noble marriage for love in all the world anyway.

In the end, her promising competence was more important than her choice of paramour--should something happen to the current heir, it would be her county to run, after all. Well, her father, uncle to the Count, technically came first in the line of succession, but at his advanced age he was unlikely to outlast either of the children.

And so, the preparations for expansion and ambition continued. New construction was even begun on the old crumbling walls of the capital hill-fort, for the first time in centuries. But one day the momentum just...ran out.

upload_2019-10-1_2-19-35.png

What was he doing? Did anyone really think this tiny realm, likely only left independent by an accident of inheritance lost to the past, could be the foundation for a kingdom like Gwynedd or Powys? And that a man like Ffernfael of all people could do such a thing? No, the Welsh would never unite. The English would sweep across the island and grind them all to dust, kick over their hill-forts and cover the earth with their long-houses. A great fear took hold of him. A fear, it occurred to him, his infamous ancestor must have felt. They are strong, we are weak, we can do nothing but cry for help.

upload_2019-10-1_2-23-56.png

"I am not Vortigern!" he yelled, leaping from his seat and barely restraining himself from hurling the book he was holding into the wall in a fit of rage. No, there would be no paralysing fear here. If Bluith was to be known as a realm that tried and failed, better than never being known at all.

It was in this state of exhilerated fury that the Count noticed his prestigious Bishop in the doorway--wild-eyed, out of breath, clutching a letter.

upload_2019-10-1_2-26-33.png

"I am the favourite. If nothing changes, I...am to be the next bishop of Rome."

-

Endnote: It probably bears mentioning that the emotions around the bloodline event to potentially gain Craven were basically real! It was around that time that I was having doubts--an inland single county is about as hard as it gets! But when given the option to 'make my own fate', I, like Ffernfael, decided to persevere, and as I mentioned earlier if this absolutely doesn't work I'll try again with a more dynamic start, but I'll certainly give it my best shot.

Of course, playing like this can also be quite slow, which is why I won't post a proper update until I have something substantial to report.

Last edited:
(Well, hundreds of views is worth continuing, especially as we get beyond setting the stage and into things happening)

Chapter 2

In which the first faltering step is taken
The excitement around Bride's nomination for Pope was, it seemed, short-lived. Ecclesiastical politics move quickly, and no Preferatus lasts long. But Count Ffernfael's mind, though slow, was methodical, and he made a careful note of the incident. This would be useful, when they were ready.

And as the 770s rolled on, "ready" seemed a more and more apt description for the formerly-sleepy province of Builth.

Braustudd was grown, with all the cunning and bravery that satisfying her predilections under the nose of the church required...

upload_2019-10-3_15-19-53.png

Keeping the land a haven for the uprooted Jewish people was paying dividends in knowledge from across the wide seas...

upload_2019-10-3_15-21-16.png

And even the Count's own dogged improvement of mind and body seemed to be paying off.

upload_2019-10-3_15-25-1.png

So it was that in April of the year 776, the Count of Builth sat his court chaplain down to compose a letter together. A letter addressed to the Pope himself, leveraging Ffernfael's years of reading and writing, and Bride's position as cardinal, with just a dash of implication that perhaps the priest was owed some favour for his uncomplaining acceptance of his time as Preferatus having passed.

The Count of their southern neighbour Brycheiniog, the letter implored, was old and heirless, and upon his death inheritance would become a serious concern. With common dynastic roots for many of the Welsh lords, the neighbours could begin a scramble for control of the province and its people. Surely it would be best for a widely-recognised authority such as Rome to make an official statement of preference, to ensure a properly just and pious successor could take these people under its dominion, and avoid such ugliness?

Possibly this was actually convincing. Possibly it was simply felt that Cardinal Bride was, in fact, owed some recompense. But whatever the case, the following month...

upload_2019-10-3_15-39-14.png

This was it. If this claim could be pressed successfully, the realm would gain power enough to resist being subsumed by its neighbours; to carve out its own territory. Momentum.

The aging incompetent Count Nowy made it clear he would not hand over his territory peacefully on the word of some priest half a world away, so the fighting men of Builth were assembled, and the wealth painstakingly raised over the past decade hauled out of the castle to employ a local band of Briton warriors for hire.

upload_2019-10-3_15-49-58.png

This combined force swept into the county and, with the defenders lacking the coin to hire additional troops in the same way, the battle quickly became a rout. But, no sooner had they begun their march on the town of Brecon, it became clear what this offensive had truly wrought. A chain reaction had begun to ripple across the suddenly-destabilised region.

To understand this process, one must know this: Builth, home of our story's protagonists, was traditionally considered part of the territory of the small kingdom of Powys to the north, even though its lords had not actually sworn fealty to the Kings of Powys for some time. Another piece of what was traditionally Powys' land was currently controlled by the southern Kingdom of Glywising, which itself had a territorial claim to Brycheiniog, the county Builth was currently laying Papal claim to.

Thus, as soon as word reached him that the army of Brycheiniog had been smashed, the King of southern Glywising sought to reclaim his ancestral borders and bring the territory back under his Kingdom's dominion.

upload_2019-10-3_16-12-4.png

Bolstered by its mercenaries, Builth's army was the larger and thus the people of Brycheiniog chose to capitulate to the stronger claimant, hoping to receive protection from one invader by the other. And this hope was answered--even a small Kingdom's forces could not hope to stand up to what had been raised for this conquest. Ffernfael's troops immediately marched south in defence of their new territory, and scattered their troops too. The King declared an official surrender, and Builth's new territory was secured.

However, with the southern kingdom's army now shattered too, northern Powys took the opportunity to reclaim their old borders from the weakened realm, a swift campaign reducing Glywysing to a single county clinging on to its royal title by a thread.

upload_2019-10-3_16-24-51.png

Still, as precarious as his situation between the two was, Ffernfael was deeply satisfied. He had done it. Proved himself a uniter and conqueror. Wrought the first step of his ambition, and brought Britons from different lands together for common cause. Mihangel, heir to his lands, was even turning out quite well, more skilled and virtuous than his father by leagues, and would be a worthy successor.

upload_2019-10-3_16-31-13.png

Their people would need such uniters, though, as passing traders and travellers brought word of quite a situation--to the south, the Celtic Bretons that had long inhabited the western point of the continent were one by one falling under the dominion of the King of the West Franks. Events in Wales had begun to move, but it seemed the plight of the British grew only more desperate...

upload_2019-10-3_16-32-6.png

-

I'm genuinely fascinated by the little chain reaction me claiming one county caused, turning Brycheiniog into a free-for-all, pretty much gutting Glywysing and then giving Powys the chance to become the biggest fish in the region. That last one is kinda worrying, but the situation southwards is a perfect opportunity for my next move, as in the next one we do our best to turn this little realm into a Kingdom, or at least what passes for one around here. Like I said, never attempted this kind of rise from a single county before!

Anyway, I'll use chapters 2 and 3 as my 'test period' to see if there's much interest in this AAR once things have properly begun to happen; if so I'll continue, and if not I'll just play the game in my own time.

Attachments

• upload_2019-10-3_16-7-47.png
    upload_2019-10-3_16-7-47.png
    2 MB · Views: 17
I wish i could write like you ! The small starts are always my favourite ones and your whole build up was great

Chapter 3

In which a kingdom is born, amid great fortune and great misfortune
In the aftermath of the conquest of Brycheiniog, things were going well in the realm of Count Ffernfael. Most promisingly, a child had been born to the union of the two most famous lines of the Welsh. Perhaps this unified line could someday be respected as true kings by these last bastions of their free people.

upload_2019-10-5_15-6-23.png

But a king needed a kingdom, and without such legitimacy, the Count's holdings would only ever go down in history as temporary border-shifting. And why shouldn't he be one? He had greater lands and power than the much-reduced King of Glywysing to the south. Carefully reading the histories in his meagre library, though, the Count determined he likely wouldn't be received well if he simply declared himself such. No, people respected traditional offices.

And yet...that embattled King was himself said by some to be a descendant of Vortigern. An exceedingly distant relation, but a relation nonetheless.

An agent was dispatched to the tiny kingdom, searching monasteries, chapels and all places where records might be kept by cover of night. And within a year, something turned up--a complete genealogy of the rulers of Glywysing, tracing their roots back to the fabled tyrant!

upload_2019-10-5_15-13-41.png

An announcement was made to the people of both realms: Only a strong ruler could restore the Kingdom from its almost-extinguished state. Thus it was for the good of all that this territory be added to the Count's holdings, and if any bloodshed resulted, that would be the fault of the current King. And there was, of course, bloodshed. Raising levies from both his counties upon hearing that King Brochfael intended to fight, Ffernfael marched his army into Glywysing, certain he now had the manpower and support to sweep away any resistance, even without having the coin to hire troops like last time.

He was sorely mistaken.

His army was indeed larger, and better-trained at that, but they marched into unknown territory--into the thick forests surrounding the King's hill-fort, where his own army lay in wait, launching a sudden ambush from all sides. The men of Builth were thrown into disarray, not even having time to form battle-lines before being routed and fleeing all the way back across the border.

upload_2019-10-5_15-20-53.png

The situation was grim. Both armies encamped on their respective sides of the border, frantically recruiting any able-bodied men they could from the surrounding countryside (in Builth's case at least, more than a few women in disguises of varying quality were added to the mix, but the commanders were hardly in a position not to turn a blind eye). They still had a slight numerical advantage, but surely any further advance would meet with the same fate. Equally, if Glywysing's troops left their home ground and advanced into the Count's, they would lose their advantage and be cut to pieces, but they had no need to--a stalemate favoured a well-supplied defender. What's more, there was surely no way an army this reduced in size could properly besiege their enemy's forts even if they made it through the defending army.

This situation persisted for months. The county council was beginning to advice the Count to relinquish his claim while his losses were tolerable, when word arrived--the army of Glywysing was attempting a flanking manoeuvre! Marching west, they aimed to bypass the Count's army and strike into Builth, cutting its forces off from their home!

The army of Ffernfael swept westwards and caught their enemy by surprise, driving them from the field and away from their home with great fervour. This was a purely defensive action--there was still no thought of winning the war, until...

upload_2019-10-5_15-29-55.png

Word reached command that the son of Brochfael, sent to prove himself by commanding the army, had been siezed during the rout and pursuit! The King was a family-loving man, it seemed, as with the capture of such an important hostage, he issued an almost immediate surrender.

upload_2019-10-5_15-32-25.png

King.

Forty-four years of age, Ffernfael felt like a new man. He was certainly a more capable one than he'd used to be, and people found it much easier to say nice things about him without first stalling for several minutes.

As the new King took to administering his realm, he almost immediately began to experience the effects of his new standing. A second child had been born to the unified line of Vortigern and Caradog, and now a future spouse, himself of highly-prestigious descendance, could be secured for her.

upload_2019-10-5_15-37-33.png

A period of peace and good fortune for the newly-reforged Kingdom followed. In his later years, King Ffernfael increase the monastic element in his life, joining one of the great Orders and undertaking prayer, study and even a pilgrimage to Rome in order to try and learn the true meaning of humility and contentment.

upload_2019-10-5_15-41-7.png

It didn't work.

He even vassalised the neighbouring eastern county of Gwent, but there was little in the way of difficulty or strategy to that conquest to report, and the only great significance of it is that Glywysing was now restored to its full ancestral territory (plus Builth to the north, traditionally part of northern Powys).

His true last great battle, though, was fought not on the field but in whispers and behind closed doors. Word reached him that a noble in Powys had sent an agent to do just what he had done to attain his title--establish a dubious claim on the kingdom as justification for war. On the advice of cousin Braustudd, who knew all there was to know of intrigue and deception, he made it known throughout the kingdom that a great history of all the kings of the Welsh was to be compiled from the disparate texts that lay scattered throughout the land. Not so unusual--the king's rare skill at reading and writing was common knowledge.

But it had the desired effect. One night, a cloaked figure stole its way into the heart of the king's hill-fort, right into the royal chambers in search of the supposed history.

The King stepped from the shadows, sword in hand. "Show your face, sneak-thief."

The hood was lowered...

"You?!"

upload_2019-10-5_15-49-35.png

The deposed Count Nowy of Brycheiniog! Ffernfael's very first great enemy! Throwing in his lot with Powys by way of revenge, it seemed.

"Did you expect me to leave quietly?" he snarled. "While you scheme and scrape your way to kingship and I am left landless?"

"I have no answer for you," said the King. "My mind is not so quick as yours. But your cause is pitiable indeed, so I will let you leave with your life, if indeed you will go in peace."

Nowy reached for the dagger at his belt, and Ffernfael lunged.

upload_2019-10-5_15-54-3.png

Chapter 3: Epilogue
It was less than a year after that incident that King Ffernfael passed from the world of sickness in the lungs, leaving his lands to his son Mihangel--as yet childless, but more competent than his father by far.

upload_2019-10-5_15-56-8.png

His reign was dynamic and unpredictable, taking the advice of heathen mystics...

upload_2019-10-5_15-58-45.png

Dallying with any who caught his eye, regardless of sex...

upload_2019-10-5_15-59-25.png

...but most of all, bringing great stability and prosperity to the realm with even-handed diplomacy and statesmanship.

upload_2019-10-5_15-59-58.png

In the fourth year of his reign, King Mihangel stood on the ramparts to give a speech, all his family and advisors in attendance. "Let us rejoice for this kingdom won by my father! And look forward to the many years to come, when we may cover all the lands of Britain with...with..."

Mid-sentence, his face went blank, and at the age of thirty-four, of causes no-one was ever able to ascertain, keeled over on the spot, his lifeless body plummeting from the battlements and folding itself over a passing wagon below.

Still, of course, childless.

upload_2019-10-5_16-6-18.png

On that fateful day, standing over the gruesome scene, all eyes slowly turned to the only adult member of the ruling dynasty left alive.

When one considers her position of "nearing forty, from a side branch of the family, with a young, healthy married man having been sitting on the throne", one can understand how it took Braustudd a good three or four minutes to figure out why everyone was staring at her.

upload_2019-10-5_16-3-55.png

-

(I can tell you, this is certainly something I wasn't expecting either! Now, if you look at the date there, well, we all know what happens when the year 800 rolls around. If I do continue writing this up, this sleepy little island is about to get a wake-up call...)

Attachments

• upload_2019-10-5_15-55-12.png
    upload_2019-10-5_15-55-12.png
    1,4 MB · Views: 22
  • upload_2019-10-5_16-2-51.png
    upload_2019-10-5_16-2-51.png
    2 MB · Views: 18
Nice start and very interesting. Just keep that weeping angel locked up and away from me. *shiver* Both those Kings seemed pretty young to be dying. You sure the statue is locked up tight? You sure the Queen didn't have anything to do with it? o_O

Nice start and very interesting. Just keep that weeping angel locked up and away from me. *shiver* Both those Kings seemed pretty young to be dying. You sure the statue is locked up tight? You sure the Queen didn't have anything to do with it? o_O

The paranoid deceitful intrigue 15 person who wouldn't otherwise have got to rule? How could you possibly suspect such a thing...

(Well, Ffernfael made it to 50, but you have a point with the second one. My account up there frames Braustudd as innocent of the whole thing, but of course, history is written by the victors)

Well these deaths were untimely to say the least and we all know indeed what sea can bring and it obviouly not only fish :p

A good beginning. I somehow imagine they won't be the first rulers to die relatively young though, given cK2.

Chapter 4

Of kings and vikings
So, as we last left our tale, Glywising found itself with a new ruler, to the surprise of everyone, but none moreso than that ruler herself.

(Note: Between this post and the previous one, I got the portrait packs, including the Celtic one, so many characters look a little different now.)

upload_2019-10-13_18-23-27.png

However, it didn't take long for the Queen to start to feel more confident about her new position. Especially when a most fortuitous omen visited the country--

upload_2019-10-13_18-25-0.png

A most miraculous substance, gifted straight out of the distant skies, and forged into her personal weapon. Between this, and her cousin's timely death propeling her onto the throne after she'd accepted it would pass her by, it began to seem like she'd been fated to rule.

The first few years of Queen Braustudd's rule were peaceful and prosperous. She briefly extended the little kingdom's hospitality to a large host of Frankish men under one of the many sons of Carolus Magnus (as the Britons knew him), using the island as a remote base to conduct preparations beyond the reach of his rivals for dominion of the empire of his forefathers.

upload_2019-10-13_18-30-48.png

Good tidings came from the north--that last holdout of the Old North, Strathclyde, had taken advantage of instability caused by a war between the Anglo-Saxon kingdoms of Mercia and Northumbria to reclaim some of its old territory while its enemies' forces were occupied elsewhere.

upload_2019-10-13_18-34-46.png

The people of that province were still mostly Brittonic in custom, and welcomed the release from English overlordship.

But all could not be well for long, for in the frozen north of the world, what had formerly been a collection of eternally-squabbling tribes and petty kingdoms had unified into something far more.

upload_2019-10-13_18-37-43.png

Travellers and reports spoke of two great and terrible kingdoms forming, uniting all the Danes and Swedes under their banners--and of great harbors working day and night, as these Norsemen, now coming to the end of a long period of internal squabbling, looked outward, and saw the disunity of the Christian world, like a beacon to their great ambitions.

One of these Norse, it was said, was gathering warriors for something greater than a mere raid: a great invasion of Britain, a land long divided between realms that seemed laughably small to the outside world. They called him Irongrip, this Norseman. They said he was the size of a bear, that he ate and drank for ten, and that he could skewer a soldier in full mail on the great hood he had in place of his left hand. And indeed, when he was first sighted by Mercian watchmen, approaching through the mist on the deck of a long dragon-prowed ship, he truly seemed to have stepped out of another world to theirs.

upload_2019-10-13_18-47-19.png

The world, in fact, that the English had long left behind. This irony was not lost on Braustudd when emissaries from Mercia arrived at the Welsh courts, pleading for aid against the viking invaders, of whom there were four or five for every Mercian soldier, and were far more fierce.

The Queen considered laughing in the messenger's face. Was this not poetic justice? The English were simply receiving what they had done to the Britons in return, from their estranged cousins who had not settled down like them, who still revered the ancient gods of earth and sky...gods that you knew from your upbringing were false idols, but when you saw that dragon-prow, those screaming warriors in wolf-pelts, felt the old world rushing in to swallow you up...how sure could you be?

She shook her head, realising she'd got lost in thought.

"...your highness?" asked an advisor, trying to break her reverie as politely as possible. The ambassador still stood before her, anxiously awaiting a reply.

The Queen leaned forward. "We will go to your aid." The surprise rippling through the fort was palpable. "Do not think that this buries things between us. But we have forged a begrudging neighbourship between Brython and Saxon, these centuries gone. I would sooner border your people than those who will neither settle, nor seek peace, nor respect borders."

This pragmatic thinking, in fact, seemed to win out all across the isles, and when the Norse company reached the major cities of Mercia, they found a host even larger than their own awaiting--English, Welsh, Picts and even Irish in a united shieldwall.

upload_2019-10-13_19-5-26.png

upload_2019-10-13_19-5-0.png

Thus it was that the Irongrip's army was smashed, pushed back in battle after battle until he finally relinquished all ambitions on Britain and returned in shame to his homeland.

Though the Mercian king's behaviour was less than exemplary, it must be said, on one occasion altering the route of battle and allowing a viking siege further north to drag on while he used the combined British army for one of his personal wars, to drive a force from Essex out of his lands.

upload_2019-10-13_19-8-22.png

Britain did not return to a peaceful state in the aftermath of this failed invasion by any means. During this time, the southwestern part of Northumbria had broken away in a religious dispute, and a zealot now promoting himself as the "King of Lancaster" ruled those lands, promoting a doctrine long considered heretical by the Church. Glywysing's northern neighbour, Powys, had siezed this opportunity, marching in and occupying this territory in the name of quelling the heresy.

upload_2019-10-13_19-18-21.png

Queen Braustudd had mixed feelings about this--it was surely an occasion to rejoice that the Britons had retaken some of their ancestral lands from the English, but a Powys this large and powerful was dangerous for her specifically. There was always the danger they could try to assert their traditional overlordship over the county of Bluith, which may no longer have been the heart of her family's kingdom, but it was her childhood home. This looming possibility would weigh heavily for the rest of her reign.

And it was widely considered a great reign, at that. Even into old age, she continued to do great things for both Glywysing and Britain as a whole. When the viking attacks continued, this time under the banner of the King of Denmark and in far greater numbers, she had assassins dispatched to the invaders' forward camp, arranging for the death of their leader and sending them into disarray without fighting a single battle.

upload_2019-10-13_19-26-18.png

And at the very end of her reign, as the question of succession became ever more pressing, she instituted a major reform, ending the practice of squabbling among sons and relatives for pieces of the ruler's domain, modelling a new system on the custom of a dynastic election used by the Irish--their Celtic cousins, if never touched by Roman civilisation. To this she added the legal caveat also used by the Picts, in areas where they had adopted the custom, allowing for female-line succession if necessary, unlike the Irish.

upload_2019-10-13_19-39-56.png

She was succeeded by her son Garannog, but there is not much to say of his short and painful rule.

upload_2019-10-13_19-42-16.png

It is of note that he was the first of the dynasty to unite the ancestry of Caradog and Vortigern, but there is not much else positive to say of him. He promised to pledge military support to the English kings and queens in their continuing fight against Norse and even Saxon invaders, but only sent troops to fight one battle, defeating a small viking army in Northumbria. He had his wife's lover poisoned rather than confront either in earnest. He was plagued with ill-health all his life, his court doctor taking the drastic measure of castrating the King to save him from one particularly virulent infection, but he soon fell ill again, and unlike the reign of Mihangel, no-one wondered at his quick passing. Rule passed to his own son, Geraint, already skilled at all the aspects of rulership and respected far more than his father by the people.

Geraint took the throne at a time of much religious strife. The situation in Rome was becoming farcical, the lands of the Franks were being gradually conquered by the Moors, and in Britain, heretical sects flourished. Powys was unable to keep control of their new territory, losing it to yet more zealous rebels and leaving them weakened.

upload_2019-10-13_19-53-52.png

King Geraint chose that moment to strike. With a highly-dubious claim based on his and his father's dual ancestry, he marched into Powys, and though its Queen fought valiantly on the front lines in every battle, the kingdom was at its weakest, while Glywysing had been building its strength for years, and soon it fell under Geraint's dominion.

The new King wasted no time--before the lords of the area could react, he pressed one of his new vassals' dynastic claims on a territory belonging to one of the western kingdoms, expanding his reach to the island's coast.

upload_2019-10-13_20-8-14.png

It soon became apparent, though, that at least in his youthful years, Geraint had no desire to rule as a feudal lord atop a hierarchy of loyalties, but rather as a war-leader of old, with direct fealty owed to him by the soldiers and citizens of the land, and his next act was a series of crafty political manoeuvres that stripped the land and power from his noble vassals, even the one he had just supposedly served the interests of, concentrating all power towards the crown. He seemed to be fervently preparing for something, but none of his subjects could have guessed at what.

During this time, as the 820s began, startling news came from the continent. The latest king of the Franks (well, one of the two divided Frankish kingdoms that had neighboured each other for two generations now) had apparently embraced the faith of the encroaching Umayyad empire, preferring their view of God to the Catholic one.

upload_2019-10-13_20-17-44.png

He appeared to have no tyrannical ambitions or intention to convert his subjects, but many could not stand this state of affairs, and a movement to depose him quickly grew into a revolt, led to victory by none other than that continental colony of Britons conquered by Charlemagne all those years ago.

upload_2019-10-13_20-19-32.png

With this act, the Carolingian dynasty's rule of all Francia ended, only retaining the south-easterly portion of the kingdom.

In Britain, though, Geraint was finally laying his ambitions on the table, the culmination of his five-year reign so far.

One day he appeared outside his capital fortress at castle Brecon, not only to his court, but also a summoned assembly of the people, stepping out into the daylight in gleaming golden armour, a fur cloak flowing out behind his impressive frame.

"My people, it is surely obvious that this realm is no longer simply the dominion of Glywysing. To claim such would be short-sighted in the extreme. I have united that realm with Powys, for whose history I have the utmost respect. The entire eastern half of our people's lands acknowledge me as king--and now, even a foothold in the west, too. My dominion stretches from the coast in the west to our border with the English usurpers in the east.

"Thus it is that I say to you--this is no longer merely the kingdom of Glywising, the kingdom of Powys nor any such regional thing. The only title I claim for myself is this: King of the Britons. Like my revered ancestor, and like an Arthur or an Ambrosius, I intend to defend our people, and to bring them all under a united protectorate, that no English king or Norse raider may threaten one without the protection of the rest. 'Welsh', they call us--a Saxon word for 'Roman stranger'. And ay, it is that very people from whom we have inherited the light of our civilisation, which we will carry into the future under this flag!"

upload_2019-10-13_20-21-37.png

-

(I should say, I had no idea everyone would unite to defend against prepared invasions like that. Pretty inspirational stuff!)

I've played around a bit with Tanistry - it is quite interesting as a form of government.

Seemed to be the best choice for the moment (not to mention, you're usually only going to be able to use it while playing a Celtic realm, so might as well take the chance to try it out)--it avoids splitting the realm, or succession by a non-dynast even if the wrong type of marriage gets made somewhere along the line. Of course, it has its own disadvantages, but for at least this stage of the campaign it seems like the way forward.

Hi! Just wanted to make a post here saying I didn't forget about this, but right around the time I was going to write the next part, I really lost all motivation for writing, and have found it extremely difficult to continue...and moreover, found it a lot more fun to just keep playing the campaign without recording what was happening. So, sorry about that.

For the record, it's currently the eve of the 10th century in the game, and the Romano-Britons did indeed succeed in reuniting the borders of the province of Britannia at its greatest extent:

upload_2019-11-18_2-37-57.png

And the second character to hold the title of non-petty King was a first for me in any game I've played, in two ways--a Perfect Knight and a Saint!

upload_2019-11-18_2-38-43.png

Anyway, this was just a post to add a little closure on where this AAR went. I might do one more reply when the campaign ends (by my choice or otherwise), but writing it out properly was going to become a grind, so once again, my apologies for that.

Its nice to see you are grabbing your goals in style :) I hope you will be bck in the future with a lenghty project