• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'd just like to chime in that this is a really good idea. CK's system is well suited for a Dune/Fading Suns type environment. If this makes it to the map stage, I'll become intensely interested.
It's already in the map stage.

As fascinating as this conversation is, I think I should confess that CotC is not meant to be hard science-fiction. We'll try to avoid outright disrespect for science, but getting the effects of space upon military tactics exactly right is not one of our highest priorities.
Still, surely you can appreciate that transplanting WW2 naval warfare into space is an unexciting cliché as well as being somewhat unrealistic? I understand others may feel differently - and this is your mod - but I find sci-fi settings far more interesting when there is a balance of attention paid between "science" and "fiction".

As fascinating as this conversation is, I think I should confess that CotC is not meant to be hard science-fiction. We'll try to avoid outright disrespect for science, but getting the effects of space upon military tactics exactly right is not one of our highest priorities.

Ah, but if you can get it right and make it fun, too, you've pleased both the hard science and the space fantasy crowds! Realistic space combat would map well to CK2's battle system of tactics and unit types if the route of a long-range laser skirmish phase, main phase close-in kinetic weaponry phase, and then the fleeing part is used. Unit types can be modded, right? Heavy Infantry would be small ships, light infantry would be fighter-type ships, cavalry would be the mobile long-range laser craft...I can see this working very well.

EDIT: Okay, having read that essay on space warfare (that was an excellent find), forget fighters. Small ships with many missiles, and larger well-protected missile-doomsday ships would probably be the best bets here. HI = Missile Ship, LI = small ships, cavalry is still laser-based long-range ships. Some form of point defense ship would likely be good too, but this is CK2.

Last edited:
This looks very promising. I hope it doesn't die.

need this mod so much, that i will test the game for bugs when it comes to that time.
I sooooooooooooooooo want this
i demand more snapshots in the mean time- Or i will burn it up and serve it back to you secrecy As coffee mixed with cholate! And i will spit in it so Beware!

cfnmImb.jpg

14:52 TERRAN STANDARD TIME, APRIL 07, 2997 CE
OFFICE OF THE GOVERNOR-GENERAL, XIN QIN III, NEW AUTONOMOUS REGION

"Madam Governor, Admiral Liao is here again."

Zhang Zhen swiveled her chair around from her office's grand window, put her tea down on her desk, and tapped the intercom. "Surely she can wait another ten minutes?"

"She's quite insistent, ma'am."

Zhang sighed. Realistically, she had no particular excuse to keep Liao waiting, but she was growing weary of the Edemite's complete lack of patience. She shook her head. "Send her in," she said, "I suppose I can start early."

"Yes, ma'am."

The double-doors slid open, and Ekateirna Viktorovna Liao, Admiral of Military Defense Zone Maoxian, stormed furiously into Zhang's office, boots steel combat boots clanging against the marble floor.

"Ave Terra, admiral," Zhang said. She swept her hand over the desk. "Might I offer you some tea?"

"Two weeks!" Liao shouted, "Two weeks, you have had me waiting here! I demand an audience, and I demand it now!"

"I'm an extremely busy woman, admiral, but if you so insist, I'm willing to see to your needs early. Please, have a seat."

Liao pulled back a chair and sat down, still glaring. "My mere presence on this world represents a threat to the people of Maoxian," she said, "If Dmitriy learns I'm here..."

"What's he going to do, start a war with his own subordinates? I can't imagine even the Edemites would tolerate that."

"You are a known enemy of the State, governor. Merely speaking with you without the Grand Admiral's authorization could be considered an act of treason."

"Oh, yes, that 'seditious anarchist' business." Zhang sighed. "So this is what that was all about."

"This is not a joking matter, governor. Dmitriy is quite serious."

"I'm sure he is," Zhang said, "though one has to wonder why you're even interested in my little project. Maoxian was never a part of the Xin Zizhiqu."

"It is a simple matter of survival," Liao said, picking up a teacup. "The Solomonovs may respect our charter, but Dmitriy is a fool. His wife holds the power on Novyy Edem now, and the Norins have desired my sector for generations. We are weak, where they are strong. We are distant, where they are close. And, of course, we are Chinese. Whatever the Charter might say, I suspect that such things still matter to the Norins, reactionaries that they are."

"That seems a little paranoid."

"It is not paranoia, governor. The Norins have always desired the hegemony, and control of a second sector would give it to them."

"Somehow I doubt the Solomonovs would allow that."

"Were they wiser, no, but like I said, Dmitriy is a fool. There is nothing of his mother in him. Things were not so bad when it was merely Gavriil Norin who ruled the State in secret, he was a man of tradition, he respected our autonomy. But his children have ambitions, and I do not believe for a second that those ambitions include a free Maoxian. I must do what I can to protect my people, and the State can no longer be trusted to safeguard us from Norin imperialism."

"Yes, and I'm sure your own political ambitions have nothing to do with it."

Liao glared at her. "I don't care for your tone, governor."

"You might not, but whatever my tone might be, I'm the only chance you've got."

Liao sighed. "You might be right. Perhaps. If you mean it when you say I will be safe."

"I've already spoken with Earth. The president has personally assured me that no Edemite aggression will be tolerated."

"I assure you, governor," Liao said, her voice dripping with venomous sarcasm, "nothing would make feel safer than knowing Owen Weyland is on our side."

"Solomonov wouldn't dare to antagonize the Confederate government."

"And what makes you so sure of that, governor? Where was the Confederation when the Locksleys fell, or when Jion seceded? Earth can barely even handle Lebedev, much less Solomonov. No, governor, if Dmitriy comes for us, we will be on our own."

Zhang put her teacup down on the desk, got up, and turned to look out her office window. It rose from floor to vaulted ceiling, and offered a glorious view of Xin Qin City. "The Confederation has kept the peace for five hundred years, admiral. I have every faith that they will continue to do so."

"I wish I could share your optimism, governor. But I cannot gamble the lives of the people of Maoxian on foolish hopes. Either you promise me that your new republic will defend Maoxian, or your new republic will not have Maoxian."

Zhang sighed. "I... I will see what I can do, admiral. Rest assured, Xin Zizhiqu will not allow her people to be ravaged by any foreign state. No matter what the cost may be."

"If you say so, governor." Liao rose to her feet. "I hope you realize that I am taking a significant risk."

"...Ave Terra, admiral."

"Ave Terra, governor."

I meant all those green circles, is that just placeholder?

Oh, in that case, yes, eventually every system will be whatever color the current mapmode would have them be.

I'd advise using also Dan Simmons Ilium and Hyperion series for inspiration. For example, using space-living Ousters for invasion mechanics, now that'd be great :).