• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Hipster_on_Ice

First Lieutenant
74 Badges
May 15, 2014
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • BATTLETECH
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • BATTLETECH - Backer
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Imperator: Rome
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Victoria 2
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • War of the Roses
  • Stellaris
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
They're pretty much the only ones left. I had some ideas that might work.

Even if you don't go with these, at the very least give them generic Italian ideas. They need something other than those awful generic ideas.

Traditions: +4 Heretic Tolerance (like all of the other Latin states in Greece), -10% Fort Maintenance (They have a fortress but not a ton of money to keep it supplied at first)

Feudum Acinganorum: +10% Production Efficiency
Romani serfs formed a foundation for the Corfiot feudal economy. Like many realms, bonded serfs made up the bulk of the agricultural workforce, but the Corfiot Venetians were the first to use the Romani in this role. This particular form of serfdom was far harsher and closer to actual slavery than its contemporaries, allowing the landowners to make life or death decisions without the knowledge or approval of the Venetian governors.

Key to the Adriatic: +10% Trade Steering, +25% Privateer Efficiency
Corfu is in a place of strategic importance in the Adriatic. While it can be used as a staging base for merchant ships leaving the Adriatic to sell their wares, it can just as easily be used to control and divert shipping in directions advantageous to our interests.

Kastropolis: +25% Fort Defense
The city of Corfu on the island of Corfu is known as the Kastropolis, the castle city. It's mighty fortifications are mentioned in Anna Komnene's Alexiad, and the walls have only gotten taller, thicker, and stronger in the centuries since. The city is defended by the formidable Byzantine-era Fortezza Vecchia, later the Venetian-constructed Fortezza Nuova was built following the repulsed first Ottoman siege of Corfu. Our island shall be made indomitable by sea and stone.

Italian Cultural Inflow: -5% Idea Cost
Italy, including our close comrades in Venice, is blooming with the new ideas of the Renaissance. By keeping close ties with our fellow Latins, we too may benefit from this great cultural flourishing. Our geographical positioning between the greatest cultural center of old, Constantinople, and the emergent great cultural centers of Italy can only serve as a boon to us.

Relics of St. Spyridon: -1 National Unrest
St. Spyrodon the Miracle Worker, patron saint of Corfu, is venerated in both the Catholic and Eastern Christian traditions. Following the fall of Constantinople to the Turks, the relics of St. Spyridon and St. Theodora Agusta were brought to the island of Corfu by Greeks fleeing the Ottoman advance. In addition to being called St. Spyridon the Thaumaturge, he is also referred to as "the Keeper of the City", said to have expelled the Plague from Corfu, and later to have terrified the Turkish besiegers into a rout as an apparition during the Second Great Siege. The relics of Spyridon can be venerated by the Corfiot people together, Orthodox and Catholic alike.

Arsenale degli Corfioti a Govino: -5% Ship Cost, -5% Ship Construction Time
After repelling the Second Great Siege by the Ottomans, Corfu was chosen as the site of a massive naval arsenal to repair the Venetian merchant fleet. The construction of a massively ambitious naval arsenal and refitting facility is an expensive and labor intensive endeavor; the combination of strategic importance and defensiblity make Corfu an ideal location.

Last Bastion of Latin Greece: +1 Yearly Prestige
Others fall while Corfu stands. While some may think the Turks unstoppable, the Corfiot people think otherwise. Latin Greece is but a memory in other places, a long forgotten era of competing Crusaders and Strategoi, but Corfu remains.

Ambition: +20% Galley Combat Ability (how could you not for a maritime island state in an inland sea?)

If I'm going to do the whole requested overhaul route, the dynasty should be Tocco. They were Italians, Neapolitans to be exact, given Cephalonia by the Angevin rulers of Naples, but were vassals of Venice since 1401.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Upvote 0
Normaly I don't really comment on these "Ideas suggestions" but this one I will say is really well made, not to strong neither to weak, and no nation deserves those generic ideas, it's a stain on their honor. +1

I thought of some possible alternate ideas. The first would make for a more trade focused set, the second for a more naval focused set. I think the ideas are pretty balanced as they are, but I figure options might be interesting.

Exploit the Mercantile Class: +10% Trade Efficiency
It was the Venetian merchants who raised Corfu, and the rest of the Ionian Islands, from forgotten Byzantine backwaters to an essential link in the Stato da Mar. It is because of our central position that many of the most powerful Venetian families have a stated interest in gaining more control of our fair island. If we take advantage of the frequent feuding of Venice's famed merchant dynasties and play the different sides, we may be able exploit their merchants' greed and pettiness to our own ends.

Home Port of the Holy League: +25% Naval Force Limit Modifier
The Holy League was created by Pope Pius V in 1571 to unite the Catholic maritime states and break the Turkish hold on the eastern Mediterranean; hundreds of ships assembled at Corfu each year that the league was active. This was a massive undertaking by fractious groups and wasn't to last. Historically, the Holy League was disbanded after two years, in 1573, after their objective of breaking Turkish naval dominance was fulfilled. A combined force from Venice, Spain, Genoa, the Papal State, and other smaller Italian states inflicted a devastating blow to the Ottoman navy at the Battle of Lepanto, with the Ottomans losing all but 30 of the 251 ships that they started with.

Italian Cultural Inflow: -5% Idea Cost
Too weak -5 idea cost is always one of those that needs to be either coupled with something else (like -5% to idea and tech cost) or be boosted to -10%

Arsenale degli Corfioti a Govino: -5% Ship Cost, -5% Ship Construction Time
Again too weak -5% cost might work well with something but -5% time reduction is a vertically nonexistent bonus

I made my own corfu ideas list https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/corfu-nis-and-some-other-ideas.866861/ might help with some ideas

I'm aware of your idea set, I think I commented on it a few months back.

For my set, I think that -10% idea cost might be alright, but I wouldn't change the others. The Ragusan idea Port Gruz has the same bonuses as the arsenal idea here.

Last edited: