• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
He's of the Freddy Krueger school of Making Dreams True™ :)

Well... he's making his own dreams come true, which is hardly Kruegeresque.

The more observant of you will note that there has been no update for quite a while. I haven't touched CKII since Sigfrid died. All I can say is that I've been busy with RL stuff, managing the iAARs, running a fantasy baseball league, my wife's birthday, copious amounts of Netflixing and other games. However, this AAR is not dead. It is not pining for the fjords. It is merely resting.

I don't have a specific time frame about when I'll get back to this. This weekend is pretty packed, and the following weekend is even worse. Maybe the end of the month, or maybe sooner if I get my ducks in a row. Who can say? All I can ask is for your patience and my personal assurances that this AAR is sleeping, maybe even unconscious, but not dead.

I'm still much faster than El Pip.

Well, I'm glad its not dead. Not exactly glad that there has been (and will be) a gap in updates, but it is understandable. I can't even get myself to post a chapter 1 to a AAR I want to write- I don't know how I would keep updating.

Well, I'm glad its not dead. Not exactly glad that there has been (and will be) a gap in updates, but it is understandable. I can't even get myself to post a chapter 1 to a AAR I want to write- I don't know how I would keep updating.

Yeah, the thought of creating an AAR and keeping it going to the end is daunting. The fact that Avindian makes so many and doesn't abandon them is quite impressive.

You have to love writing. Not writing AARs, mind you, but the act of writing. (Well, typing.)

That's like the easiest achievement ever, you know :D.

That's the way I like 'em. I won't tell you how much cursing and rage went into my Platinum trophy on Bioshock Infinite.

Yeah, the thought of creating an AAR and keeping it going to the end is daunting. The fact that Avindian makes so many and doesn't abandon them is quite impressive.

For the record, I have abandoned one AAR: my conversion of the original Republic of Russia into Vicky 2. When I hear people in various threads complaining about rebel whack-a-mole in other PDS games, I want to virtually smack them upside the head...

For the record, I have abandoned one AAR: my conversion of the original Republic of Russia into Vicky 2. When I hear people in various threads complaining about rebel whack-a-mole in other PDS games, I want to virtually smack them upside the head...

Of course the one Victoria II AAR of yours I missed is the one you abandoned. Still impressive the number of AARs that you did finish. I have completed a whopping zero AARs, so you're way ahead of me. :p

Av, how did you work up the motivation to first start an AAR? A month or so ago I came within mere clicks of starting a CKII Bulgarian AAR, but at the last second I realized that I was completely unprepared (for starters I still don't understand how to use imugr or photobucket for screenshots), and I felt overwhelmed by my would-be endeavor. How did you first get past that?

You have to love writing. Not writing AARs, mind you, but the act of writing. (Well, typing.)
Bloodyheaded persistence will carry you pretty far, too (and you might learn to enjoy writing on the way). Or a feedback loop of motivations (I like creating converters so I can play megacampigns, and I like that megacampaigns keep me working on the converters, and I like writing AARs about my campaign, and I like that an AAR keeps me motivated about my campaign. It all ties somehow to my love of story, really).

That's the way I like 'em. I won't tell you how much cursing and rage went into my Platinum trophy on Bioshock Infinite.
Do you ever pull out your NES and SNES games and wonder how you stood playing them? 'Cause I do, and I have no regrets about putting tons of things on easy mode. Also, I still have the Battletoads Game Genie code for infinite lives memorized (not that it helped me get past certain levels, even still).

That's the one I first tried to read but got too distracted from! I think I'm still set up to receive any updates on it. I'm pretty sure after that I got pretty faithful about reading your AARs.

Av, how did you work up the motivation to first start an AAR? A month or so ago I came within mere clicks of starting a CKII Bulgarian AAR, but at the last second I realized that I was completely unprepared (for starters I still don't understand how to use imugr or photobucket for screenshots), and I felt overwhelmed by my would-be endeavor. How did you first get past that?
As a fairly new AAR writer (maybe not in time, but in number of AARs), I find there's a certain amount of just-doing it to get going (though in my case, I did it to stay motivated working on the converters). Look past the skills needed for the moment, and just go! There will be many of us who'll gladly start giving encouragement, and you'll pick up the picture (or writing, in my case) skills fairly quickly. Certainly those of us with experience will be glad to answer any questions! Just make sure to announce your AAR somewhere (even in a message to me), as I'd like to read whatever you write.

Of course the one Victoria II AAR of yours I missed is the one you abandoned. Still impressive the number of AARs that you did finish. I have completed a whopping zero AARs, so you're way ahead of me. :p

Thanks for that!

I read a LOT of AARs before I got the courage to write my own. I'm a huge fan of alternate history, and AARs were a great way to explore "what might have been." Obviously, PDS games aren't history simulators (yet), but they're almost always at least plausible.

Bloodyheaded persistence will carry you pretty far, too (and you might learn to enjoy writing on the way). Or a feedback loop of motivations (I like creating converters so I can play megacampigns, and I like that megacampaigns keep me working on the converters, and I like writing AARs about my campaign, and I like that an AAR keeps me motivated about my campaign. It all ties somehow to my love of story, really).

Do you ever pull out your NES and SNES games and wonder how you stood playing them? 'Cause I do, and I have no regrets about putting tons of things on easy mode. Also, I still have the Battletoads Game Genie code for infinite lives memorized (not that it helped me get past certain levels, even still).

That's the one I first tried to read but got too distracted from! I think I'm still set up to receive any updates on it. I'm pretty sure after that I got pretty faithful about reading your AARs.

As a fairly new AAR writer (maybe not in time, but in number of AARs), I find there's a certain amount of just-doing it to get going (though in my case, I did it to stay motivated working on the converters). Look past the skills needed for the moment, and just go! There will be many of us who'll gladly start giving encouragement, and you'll pick up the picture (or writing, in my case) skills fairly quickly. Certainly those of us with experience will be glad to answer any questions! Just make sure to announce your AAR somewhere (even in a message to me), as I'd like to read whatever you write.

To take your points in turn:
1. Bloodymindedness is a great quality to have for writing in general, not just for AARs. :)
2. My first gaming system was an Atari 2600, which were difficult for a youngster but not impossible. I tried playing Mega Man... 3? 4? ... a year or so ago and I was nearly tearing my hair out. It was so much easier when I was a kid, I guess. Never had an SNES, but did play a lot of the games on emulator.
3. How you aren't a member of the Paradox staff yet is mind boggling to me; your work on the converters have probably kept me AARing long past when I normally would have given up.
4. I find the hardest part of AARs to slog through is the end, believe it or not. By the time I'm at the end of one project, I'm excitedly thinking of a new one, and I just want to finish the old one.

Finally, the moment you've all been waiting for!

... No, not an update. However, I can at least update you on the progress towards an update! I spent the better part of last evening playing CKII, and I'm going to play some more until something I've waited for happens. Once that event occurs, I'll take stock of the situation, sort out screenshots, and determine how to divide this up into proper update-sized chunks.

Feel free to speculate on the unnamed happening; I should hopefully begin updating again in a week or so.

Finally, the moment you've all been waiting for!

... No, not an update. However, I can at least update you on the progress towards an update! I spent the better part of last evening playing CKII, and I'm going to play some more until something I've waited for happens. Once that event occurs, I'll take stock of the situation, sort out screenshots, and determine how to divide this up into proper update-sized chunks.

Feel free to speculate on the unnamed happening; I should hopefully begin updating again in a week or so.

Clearly you're waiting for the confirmation of Vicky 3. :p

Clearly you're waiting for the confirmation of Vicky 3. :p

That'd mean, unfortunately, another two to three years. :)

As am I.

Glad to hear that an update is coming soon, I speculate that it will be 1-2 days.

I'm out of town most of this weekend, and away from the desktop, so the absolute earliest would be this coming Thursday, but more probably next weekend.

That'd mean, unfortunately, another two to three years. :)

I find your optimism... disturbing. :p

Seriously, we'll already have CK III before Vicky III. :(

I find your optimism... disturbing. :p

Seriously, we'll already have CK III before Vicky III. :(

You could be right.

In the interest of full disclosure -- I experienced the ever popular never ending faction rising loop of death and ragequit, since it went over four different rulers over a period of about 15 years. This has resulted in a slight setback, but one I am hopeful I can overcome soon.

Don't disappoint me, Avi! I've been waiting for this campaign for a long time! Especially from you!

Don't disappoint me, Avi! I've been waiting for this campaign for a long time! Especially from you!

Patience, my friend. :) I was able to work through my difficulties last night, so I should be on track to get you an update in a few days.

Patience, my friend. :) I was able to work through my difficulties last night, so I should be on track to get you an update in a few days.

Yay!

The more vigilant of you have, undoubtedly, noticed that I have yet to update. However, I can say I've sorted out the screenshots for the next several updates, and I am confident I shall update in the next day or two.

Chapter 6: A new way of ruling

7 December 906

As I take over the duties of my father, so I take over his task of chronicling our family. I suppose I should talk about myself at least, a little bit. Not that I love talking about myself or anything like that. Sure, I'm 28 and I've already had eleven autobiographies published. You might call that excessive, since there are, at last count, approximately fifteen people who can read. I would respond by saying that I'm the King so shut your face.

yuFNKu.jpg

My predecessors in this office have craved glory or land. I, on the other hand, want gold. Lots and lots and lots of gold. Land is good too, I guess, but only because it leads to more gold. By the time I die, I should have a giant statue made of me, composed entirely of melted gold. I am a humble man, so it will only be ten times life size. Any more than that, I feel, would be too ostentatious.

Here are the lands that I rule.

J7jish.jpg

My little ingrate of a brother, Oddr, had the gall to evict me from our family's palace in Jorvik. I am stuck with this tiny little hovel on the isle of Irland. That will not do! Where will I put all of my gold? Hmm... although I do love killing people and taking their gold, I wonder if I might talk them out of their gold. Then I can kill them without fear of getting their filthy blood on my precious gold! I should have a talk with my wife, Guthrun, I think.

lddqii.jpg

On second thought, maybe not. She prefers the shadows. Maybe it's because she's so horrifically old. 30?! She's practically my grandmother! Oh wait, can she read this journal? She knows how to use a battle axe. I'd better ask my new Chancellor, Toke of Hereford, instead.

aPhxIS.jpg

The one thing I don't like about being King is that I have to pay my advisors with some of my hard-looted gold. Basking in my presence is, apparently, not good enough of them. They're always whining about "food" and "shelter." My people are soft after all these years. Soft! We'll fix that soon enough.

QyqZPX.jpg

8 February 907, Evesham

I lead from the front, unlike my father, because that's how you get the best loot.

BIwxbb.jpg

I don't know who we're fighting, and I don't really care. Some Prince of Skotland against some other Prince of Skotland? Something like that. Oh, I've had to replace Toke. One of my more rebellious vassals had him arrested, if you can believe that. Then, the vassal had the gall to demand some of my gold to set him free! Not bloody likely. You wanted him so badly, you pay for him. In fact, I think Kraka of Mercia should pay me to let him go, since she's wasting my valuable time. That's time I could be spending earning gold!

31 March 907, Evesham

We are victorious in battle, as I expected. I didn't earn any loot, though, since all the rich guys ran away. All the peasants together had, like, 50 gold or something on them. They got their filthy peasant blood all over my gold, too. Doesn't anybody ever stop to think about the people they're hurting before they start a war? I strained my wrist polishing some of their disgusting coins!

4 August 907, Dyflinn

I hope this war against Skotland ends soon. We've won lots of victories (duh) but surprisingly little loot. I am beginning suspect killing poor people is not the way to accumulate wealth. I'll have to settle for killing them and taking their land. By the way, if you're reading this journal, you have to promise not to tell Oddr I'm having him killed. Sure, you may consider it "inhuman" to kill a 12 year old. Serves him right for being born and taking away Jorvik!

LCeaoH.jpg

24 August 907, Dyflinn

I think I've caught some sort of illness. All I know is that the other day, I saw a piece of gold in the middle of the street and I actually passed it up. That isn't like me at all.

22 December 907, Dyflinn

Still fighting these senseless wars. I keep getting called into them, making me waste precious raiders on fighting battles instead of killing and looting Christians. We're Vikings, that's kind of our thing. Still, I'm feeling better. I think I'll go visit the dungeons of this place to look for gold. Or silver. Silver is also good.

27 February 908, Dyflinn

I wish this castle would hurry up and fall already. I did find a new concubine in the dungeon; I was going to kill her, when she convinced me that if I let her live and took her as my woman, she would give me children who I could then hire out as mercenaries for money. I like the way she thinks.

24 May 908, Dyflinn

Apparently when I was home recuperating, I knocked up my wife. How do I know? Because she just gave birth to a son named Frirek. I caught him eyeing one of my gold pieces; I was going to have him killed for coveting my wealth, when Guthrun patiently explained he's attracted to anything shiny and does not lust for my piles and piles of future riches. He'd better not. I know he's an infant, but that doesn't mean he's safe if he wants my stuff.

12 January 909, outside Jorvik

Since some of our wars are over, I've been stalking Oddr outside Jorvik for the last several days. That little brat won't have that castle for much longer! Kraka of Mercia is on my enemy list too, now. She insists Oddr is the "true King" or something and is leading a rebellion against me.

BKYpdE.jpg

I would give Odin much if he would punch my father in the face a few times for having another son. A son who is damnably clever at evading my attempts to kill him. I'll have to crush this rebellion, arrest him, and execute him when trying to escape. Probably have to have the whole castle washed, though. I don't want traitor stink dirtying up my riches.

fx4YWS.jpg

16 April 909, Hlymrek

Armies fall before me like the destroyer I am! The more ferociously and eager I chase them down, the more stuff they drop as they run away screaming. Sometimes their valuables are, ah, spoiled. Doesn't mean it's not still good for melting down into a statue, though. I sent a letter to the King of Skotland, proposing he join us in battle. He'll get 100% of the glory, I get 100% of the gold. Once I have the gold, I'll take the glory too. I have the money; who's going to argue with me?

10 September 909, Connacht

Kraka has surrendered. She technically called it "a White Peace," but I still locked her up for treason.

Qd8bZO.jpg

It's not the most glorious way to end the war, I guess. I did strip her of the Jarldom of Mercia, which gives me another castle and thus more money and more soldiers with which to procure additional money.

18 November 909, Connacht

My little brother Dag died, leaving me Northumberland. I didn't even have to kill this one myself! Somebody called "pneumonia" did it. I wonder if I could hire them as an assassin to kill off Oddr?

1 January 910, Macclesfield

As a prank, I ordered my guards to arrest my half-brother Baldr and steal all of his riches. Would you believe he fought them off and has risen a rebellion against me?! Whoever heard of rebelling against a prank?

c3Qgts.jpg

8 September 910, Strangfjordr

Baldr sent me a letter, asking if I'd "just be cool" and let him alone. Apparently he doesn't know me very well, because his messengers objected vociferously when I had them arrested and stripped of all of their valuable, and sent back to him naked. Their clothes are probably worth something too. It isn't worth the risk of missing out, and if they die, it's no skin off my nose.

Unless there's a market for that...

11 December 910, Hlymrek

I am sieging Baldr's castle, and I just got news that my brother Oddr might be blown up with manure soon, in prison.

8 January 911, Hlymrek

The attack failed. As punishment for not dying, I took the Jarldom of Jorvik from Oddr. It did not include the castle, which is what I wanted, so now I'm even angrier at him.

10 February 911, Hlymrek

I've given Northumberland to Marshal Thorbjorn, as a reward for killing my enemies and leaving me the loot. Oh yeah, a few weeks I had my sister marry my Chancellor, Conchobar, matrilineally so that when they both die and also their kids, I'll end up inheriting any property they have. That's what sisters are for, right?

26 June 911, Ossory

Why won't Baldr just surrender? And why do people keep revealing my plot to kill Oddr? If my brother really loved me, he'd kill himself and save me the trouble of trying to kill him.

30 August 911, Teviotdale

My son, Sigfrid, just turned 16.

Z7jeUY.jpg

He's kind of boring. He likes talking with people and showing them how brave he is. I've tried to teach him that the only purpose of social interaction is to find how rich somebody is and, subsequently, how to make them poor, but in this I have failed. I even had to give him 8 gold pieces as a birthday present. He'd better start paying out or I'll find a son who will! Still, I do have a devious plan; Thordis, a two year old girl, is the Heir to East Anglia, which just so happens to be land I don't have yet. All I need is them to get married, have kids, and then kill all of them to get my hands on their sweet, sweet land and gold.

30 September 911, Roxburgh

IT'S ABOUT DAMNED TIME

6lIobb.jpg

Moments after he died, I ordered my Steward to start moving my stuff to Jorvik.

chTRur.jpg

I also found out that Oddr had somehow accumulated over 100 gold pieces while in prison. This is the best day ever!

30 January 912, Jorvik

Another son. Yay. Saemundr is what we're calling this one.

25 March 913, Tyrone

Baldr will not surrender. I hate him. I hate everyone. People keep dragging me into wars I don't want to fight and then don't give me money for them. Makes a guy a little bothered. A little irritated. Irritated enough to RIP OUT THEIR INTERNAL ORGANS AND STRANGLE THEM WITH THEIR INTESTINES!

iR96iU.jpg

Hey, they're dirty Catholic rebels, so Odin will probably give me a medal for doing that.

29 April 913, Oriel

Baldr is defeated and locked up. He's also one Thanedom lighter, as Chester is mine once more. I've decided to use some of my vast wealth to build a Temple to Odin.

Naturally, such an elaborate temple would require a substantial admission fee. Odin needs to wet his beak, if you know what I mean.

By Odin I mean me.

23 June 913, Lancaster

We're still fighting... somebody. Sometimes, disemboweling is its own reward. I've also found a new best friend!

XTy836.jpg

He's the best kind of friend, since he likes earning money as much as I do, but likes giving it to me even more. I gave him the Temple to Odin as a reward.

I've picked a new Spymaster, too, a former seer and concubine to my father.

WBeozT.jpg

She keeps talking weird, but she likes having people killed; an important bond. To make sure she doesn't like killing me, I've named her Drottseti. I don't know what it means, but it sounds important.

18 September 913, Jorvik

Do you realize that in all of these wars, I've gained almost no land? No conquests? No real looting?

CUrMvf.jpg

That's about to change.