• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Inb4 current ruler is the last living Hvitserk.

Also, regarding moot: A 'thing' would probably be the correct term, but moot is a fine translation. It's pronounced without the h :)

How sad, two great sons called to the beyond...

Losing Guthrothr was very depressing -- so many great things he could have done.

Well, it only makes sense that you visit England ;)

My trip was actually scheduled before Sakura_F chose the iAAR topic. :)

Craven children? By Odin's beard!
It seems your station's worse than feared!

(It rhymed, so I felt the urge to write it thusly...)

Aside from a not inconsiderable number of deaths, it seems you're still moving along nicely with things. Warwick will prove a good conquest, should our king not die of fright in the middle of the battlefield. (Not that he'd ever be within fifty miles of a battlefield, should he be able to help it...) That said, your proximity to the Welsh border is beginning to worry me. I trust till be letting the Cymry get on with their own affairs Viking-free?

(You don't need to answer that. :D)

As for my own Northumbrian travels, I can't say I saw any Vikings – unless drunken Geordies count. It was mostly just rolling hills and the North Sea, to be perfectly honest. Very enjoyable, though.

I enjoyed the poem. The Welsh do get Norsed, but not by me (as a smallish spoiler).

Yay, update!

If only I could get them done more regularly!

Well, the pure old Norse word would be "þing" or "t(h)ing", but I suppose this hasn't entered into popular usage the same way "moot" has.

I suppose not.

Damn, that son had great stats

It does make me wistfully sad sometimes.

Inb4 current ruler is the last living Hvitserk.

Also, regarding moot: A 'thing' would probably be the correct term, but moot is a fine translation. It's pronounced without the h :)

Seriously?! That's pretty awesome. With your official approval, I'll keep using moot. :)

I'm going to update this weekend, that much I know. When specifically? I couldn't say.

I'd be rather hypocritical if I complained…

That shouldn't stop you, though. ;)

The Irish campaign was a success, pity two good sons died... Will southern England be as relatively easy to subjugate as Ireland?

That's the question, isn't it?

For the answer, I'm afraid we'll have to wait a bit longer. Having a devil of a time trying to get back in sync with sleep and life in general, and I'm afraid I've had zero chance to even look at the next update's screenshots. I will endeavor to provide one sometime this coming week.

That shouldn't stop you, though. ;)

That's the question, isn't it?

For the answer, I'm afraid we'll have to wait a bit longer. Having a devil of a time trying to get back in sync with sleep and life in general, and I'm afraid I've had zero chance to even look at the next update's screenshots. I will endeavor to provide one sometime this coming week.

It's cool, Avi, jet-lag can be a rather bad, especially going from Russia to the US! Rest. I'll fend off the hordes with a switch-blade and Bill from Left 4 dead...:rofl:

I'll fend off the hordes with a switch-blade and Bill from Left 4 dead...:rofl:
You're going to need a bit more than that to fend us off, mate. Maybe a couple ICBMs, at least...in fact, just call in the Army. That should do the trick. :p

It's cool, Avi, jet-lag can be a rather bad, especially going from Russia to the US! Rest. I'll fend off the hordes with a switch-blade and Bill from Left 4 dead...:rofl:

The weird thing is this: ten years ago, I was over the jet lag in about 48 hours. Why it's taken me three weeks this time, I couldn't say, but that's life, I guess.

You're going to need a bit more than that to fend us off, mate. Maybe a couple ICBMs, at least...in fact, just call in the Army. That should do the trick. :p

I shudder to think of a world in which EU3NOOB has the power to call in the army. :D

So, I'm going to update one of my other AARs, then do some image editing for the next update for this AAR. Depending on how long it takes me to write a coherent story, it's quite likely you'd see the update this weekend.

The weird thing is this: ten years ago, I was over the jet lag in about 48 hours. Why it's taken me three weeks this time, I couldn't say, but that's life, I guess.
Well, I'm quite young and jetlag isn't that hard for me. However, colleagues, partners and customers tell me that jetlag is going to be harder with each year.

As with all things, jetlag gets worse the older you are. It's a fact - old people suck... err, it sucks being old, I meant.

There's certainly quite a difference between being in your twenties and being in your thirties with such things. Even if you're healthier in your thirties than in your twenties!

In any case, rest up, get back into your routines, etc. We'll all be here when you're ready to start writing again.

Well, I'm quite young and jetlag isn't that hard for me. However, colleagues, partners and customers tell me that jetlag is going to be harder with each year.

I'll have to compare the much shorter trip to London this winter; if I'm right, I should recover much more quickly.

As with all things, jetlag gets worse the older you are. It's a fact - old people suck... err, it sucks being old, I meant.

Little from column A, little from column B. ;)

There's certainly quite a difference between being in your twenties and being in your thirties with such things. Even if you're healthier in your thirties than in your twenties!

In any case, rest up, get back into your routines, etc. We'll all be here when you're ready to start writing again.

Thanks for the support!

I really, seriously, promise to start working on the update in the next couple of days. Hasn't been jetlag as much as other IRL stuff taking priority.

Apologies for the double post, but I just realized I haven't posted here in a week. :eek:

I've actually finished the screenshots for the update, I just need to block out some time to actually write and post the update. I will do this, almost certainly, on Friday (if not sooner). Thanks to everyone who's been waiting patiently -- this AAR is not dead, I assure you!

Chapter 5: The highest form of cowardice

8 September 899, Jorvik

I did not expect the first battle of this war to occur on our own soil. With my finest warriors and most experienced commanders still fighting in Ireland, slowly making their way to home, I am forced to rely upon the elderly and the neophyte to fight against the English.

Ss4hR9.jpg

Every day, I look at the waraxe that hangs on the wall behind my throne. I have not lifted it for years, probably could not lift it if I wanted to. Am I not more valuable than a warrior? Should I feel so guilty that I hide behind my walls while they bleed for my glory?

I can only assuage my inquietude by praying for victory. If we ever experienced a significant defeat…

19 September 899, Jorvik

Thankfully, the All-Father has seen fit to give us the victory.

cfT6QI.jpg

8 May 900, Warwick

Today is a great day for the Hvitserks. I have created two new Jarldoms, one in Connacht (which I awarded to Suni, in gratitude to his long and faithful service), and one called Mercia, composed of the lands we took from the English.

g3Nebv.jpg

I tentatively called a moot, to see to whom this new Jarldom should be awarded. I, personally, wanted to give it to my son Frodi, the heir to the throne, but the other Thanes and Jarls considered this distressing, a clear attempt to centralize power in my own hands. I settled for naming him my new Steward.

The actual grant was, for the first time since we came to these English shores, made to a woman – Kraka of Dunholm.

NRP1O7.jpg

She is distantly related to our house – I know not precisely how – but she seems a good woman, and I have few other relatives I can trust to manage what will certainly be volatile lands.

At her suggestion, we will soon declare war on Worcester, which keeps her lands separate.

21 September 900, Jorvik

My latest concubine, an Irishwoman named Affraic nic Aed, has given me a son, who I have named Baldr. I have sent my now six year old son Oddr to his brother Frodi for instruction and training in the ways of the warrior. I find myself having little enthusiasm to take over these tasks myself, as I once did.

Sadly, Kraka will not add the Thanedom of Worcester to her lands; rather than be absorbed into the Kingdom of Irland, Worcester has made peace with its nominal liege in the town of Leicester. A tragedy, but unavoidable.

24 January 901, Jorvik

I do not wish to be deprived of the company of Yrsa. Yet, at the same time, I cannot deny her a husband. I sent an envoy to the King of Hungary, to propose a match between his youngest son and Yrsa, in which the children would be of House Hvitserk; he turned us down. So, instead, I betrothed her to a Pecheneg prince; if I break the betrothal, it should cause no real harm. The Pechenegs are on the other side of the world!

28 May 901, Jorvik

The loss of my beloved Grima may be something I can never recover from. I have chosen a new wife – Potekay, some Finnish woman – but she is there specifically to keep up appearances.

13 October 901, Jorvik

If we are to someday break the stranglehold my cousins have over Skotland, and absorb them into our lands, we must destabilize them.

lx9QPX.jpg

The Jarl of Lothian is one of the more powerful and respectable vassals of the King of Skotland. Fortunately, he has a vulnerability in his court.

sg3Trr.jpg

I hope Holmfrid remembers who her father is.

11 November 901, Ossory

I am visiting the island of Irland in response to a massive uprising in the Thanedom of Connacht; 2199 warriors have risen up under a peasant of some name or another. I have called up the local levies to put it down, but I believe my presence here may prevent a future uprising.

Fd7yF5.jpg

5 December 901, Jorvik

My trip to Irland has been rudely interrupted. Holmfrid assured me the bowmen were the finest in Europe!

iEAhJF.jpg

The only place I can now feel safe is behind the solid stone of my home.

18 April 902, Connor

My old friend and seer Muzaffaraddin has, sadly, gone to Valhalla. He is but 49 summers – fewer than I – and I fear that, perhaps, I am not prepared to make the trip. It has been so many years since I have campaigned; will I even be welcomed in the feasting halls? Will I see my father and grandfather again?

28 March 905, Jorvik

It has been almost three summers since I last wrote here. I am so very tired. I leave more and more of my duties to Frodi. We absorbed the Thanedom of Northampton and I barely did anything but sign the order to do so.

Now, this latest bit of news: my concubine, who provided me with a son, wants me dead.

N9kE3a.jpg

I wonder if there is any point in preventing this plot. I… simply don’t care anymore.

29 March 905, Jorvik

I had an odd dream that I ran screaming through the castle, naked, demanding the blood of the concubine.

30 March 905, Jorvik

It seems I was not dreaming.

yzb7ja.jpg

6 December 906, Jorvik

I can barely see the parchment as I scribble. Does any of this even make any sense to anyone? Will anybody read it? Do I care if they do?

I will not survive the night. I have begged my Seer to give me peace, to help me understand if I will be welcomed in Valhalla when I die, or if I will be left outside the mead hall. He asked me to consider the greatness of my reign, that men call me Sigfrid the Wise, that I was the first King of Irland. All of that is true… but I die, not of an enemy’s blade, but of the ravages of time. Am I to experience Hel?

I leave this tome to my son Frodi, who will be King in a matter of hours. I hope he continues it, that the Book of Kings will be, as years go by, the manual on how a King should comport himself, how he should rule wisely. Even if I am condemned to the lifelessness of Hel, never to hear my ancestors again, I would give something to future generations, that they might remember me kindly.

Not just holding what you have, but a bit of expansion. And plotting!

Not bad accomplishments for a coward! And yet here's hoping Frodi has more fire in his blood.

The Blood of the impure waters the Macclesfield! Nice plotting and wars. Not such a coward anymore! :D
"It was not a dream." :rofl:

Not just holding what you have, but a bit of expansion. And plotting!

Not bad accomplishments for a coward! And yet here's hoping Frodi has more fire in his blood.

I hope so too!

At this rate the Isles will be yours in no time. Excited to see how a less cautious king handles warfare.

I'm not looking forward to fighting Skotland, but we'll see what progresses.

The Blood of the impure waters the Macclesfield! Nice plotting and wars. Not such a coward anymore! :D
"It was not a dream." :rofl:

Glad you liked it. :)

Just realized it's been quite a while since I posted here. I haven't played CKII in a while, which is why I haven't updated yet. I hope to have some free time in the next day or two (thanks to Labor Day), so we'll see if I can get some Frodi time in.

I had an odd dream that I ran screaming through the castle, naked, demanding the blood of the concubine.

It seems I was not dreaming.

He's of the Freddy Krueger school of Making Dreams True™ :)