• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Midsummer is here! The time when the sun doesn't set and Finnish cities get deserted by people going on holidays and moving to their summer cottages. This is however not the case with me since I actually don't have a cottage. I will be spending the midsummer weekend at home and hosting a party for all the other sad people who don't have a cottage to go to (there's like 6 of us). After the midsummer it's still back to work for a couple of weeks before the team at Colossal will be taking some time off and enjoying the summer, which in Finland is always short and usually doesn't have much snow.

We have gotten very positive feedback for the Matchday DLC so thank you for that! The one gripe is with the occurance of the matches, which is based on the day and night cycle and not the calendar time. This is a tricky thing and we really have to think hard how to handle the progress of time in the future. The simulation and visuals are currently running in two different time scales so that the progression of the cities and the length of the citizens' life wouldn't take too long, but with the addition of the day and night cycle and other happenings in the city it makes sense to slow down the time on the visual side. Overall I think the DLC is a nice addition to the game, or is it just cool because it was free? If we were to consider working on something similar than the football stadium with matches would that be interesting for you guys? Maybe this is my time to bring some horses to the game BIG TIME, like an equestrian centre or racing tracks! (Just kidding, the team STILL doesn't share my passion for horses, for some weird reason...)

And if you haven't gotten your football stadium yet, you can download it for free on Steam. Until next week!

Cheers,
Mariina

Overall I think the DLC is a nice addition to the game, or is it just cool because it was free? If we were to consider working on something similar than the football stadium with matches would that be interesting for you guys?

I think it has been a great addition to the game (and the fact that it’s free makes it even better ;)). I would for one would love you guys to expand this mechanic to other sporting arenas (here are a few suggestions):
  1. American Football Stadium
  2. Baseball Stadium
  3. Olympic Stadium
  4. Velodrome (Open Air or Indoor)
  5. Swimming Centre (Open Air or Indoor)
  6. Horse Racing
  7. F1 Track
  8. Cricket Stadium
  9. Rugby Stadium
  10. Athletics Track

Have a look at this thread too for suggestions on improving the Matchday DLC (Most of these should be relatively easy to implement too)

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/match-day-dlc-suggestions.948119/

Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions:
I think it has been a great addition to the game (and the fact that it’s free makes it even better ;)). I would for one would love you guys to expand this mechanic to other sporting arenas (here are a few suggestions):
  1. American Football Stadium
  2. Baseball Stadium
  3. Olympic Stadium
  4. Velodrome (Open Air or Indoor)
  5. Swimming Centre (Open Air or Indoor)
  6. Horse Racing
  7. F1 Track
  8. Cricket Stadium
  9. Rugby Stadium

Have a look at this thread too for suggestions on improving the Matchday DLC (Most of these should be relatively easy to implement too)

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/match-day-dlc-suggestions.948119/

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback! I especially appreciate the 6th suggestion ;)

Reactions:
Of course it is an awsome DLC, and not only because it was free.

The same mechanics could be used for other sports events, like Mca101 mentioned above, but also for other cultural events, like concerts, festivals... or the inauguration of some buildings.

Reactions:
I suggest Mariina's Horseshoe Shop so that the rest of the team will soon find themselves compelled to add horses to the game! With great executive leadership comes great influence on your employees! :D

Maybe a way to expand would add the match day template into the asset editor if you've downloaded the dlc. If you guys expanded the editor to align with each dlc you could focus on releasing the new mechanics and leave new visuals (like the aforementioned stadiums) to asset creators. That would include the ability to have sub buildings with an asset ;)

Reactions:
Overall I think the DLC is a nice addition to the game, or is it just cool because it was free? If we were to consider working on something similar than the football stadium with matches would that be interesting for you guys?
This small DLC was super amazing, I'd even paid for it. I like this idea with policies for single building and events very much. It would be really amazing if modders will be able to make assets with policies and events.

P.S. Horse racing is great idea!

P.P.S. Why there are bus and tram depots, but no metro depot? Please make it :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions:
So, 3 DLC (one free, yay!) and some free ingame upgates (yay!), all eye-candy.

Can we have a simulation fix and improvement one day or this will remain a city painter?

Reactions:
This is a tricky thing and we really have to think hard how to handle the progress of time in the future. The simulation and visuals are currently running in two different time scales so that the progression of the cities and the length of the citizens' life wouldn't take too long, but with the addition of the day and night cycle and other happenings in the city it makes sense to slow down the time on the visual side

I would really love to see some improvments on that. Especially when a car travels a distance of 100m in 5 minutes ;)

It's probably a bit too ambitious, but I think it'd be really neat to have road cycling or maybe car races for which you set a route through your city (probably the same way you set up bus lines?). It'd completely mess up traffic for a short period of time, of course.

It's probably a bit too ambitious, but I think it'd be really neat to have road cycling or maybe car races for which you set a route through your city (probably the same way you set up bus lines?). It'd completely mess up traffic for a short period of time, of course.

Haha :):)
probably played a bit too much need for speed. Speaking of which:

:cool: Crime DLC:
  • Underground races
  • Robberies
  • Prison riots
  • Speeding tickets (more money for the city, yay!)
  • Unemployment and bad education increases crime rate (well that's something that should be done for sure, if it hasn't been done so far.)

Last edited:
I think the DLC is great, free or not. As for ideas to expound on this, I would really like to see racetracks (F1 or possibly NASCAR for your American Fans). I think it would be especially cool if the racetrack could be custom built like a road where you could add stands and the pit, etc.

I have also thought that having functional marinas would be cool as well. Where your citizens could take their boats out and even travel between in-city marinas. You could watch them go fishing, water skiing, sailing, or swimming off the deck of their pontoon boat. The marinas could also raise land value around them

Reactions:
I wouldn't mind another match-day-like addition to the game, but I think it will be just another version of the football stadium, making it superflous.
I would like an addition for the streets. Since the Network Extensions Mod is one of the most popular out there you can see the need for streets that enrich the vanilla one.
And done by CO it will save a lot of ram.
Streets are the core of the game and I think we shouldn't leave them out. Sharper angles, more variation, (a street editor like http://streetmix.net/ would be the killer)
I would pay money for that!

Reactions:
@Sotrax totally agree on that. I really miss the small street and the 2x2 lane road in the vanilla game. As much as I like a fluent game, I have to sakrifice that for some good roads from Network Extensions Mod.

Reactions:
If we were to consider working on something similar than the football stadium with matches would that be interesting for you guys?
If it's American Football, I'm all for it, because apart from football that's the only other sport I'm interested in, but I'm wondering anyway if it would even make a difference in the game if that live event was American Football, Football or the candybar eating championship for bearded males in their mid 30s.

Maybe this is my time to bring some horses to the game BIG TIME, like an equestrian centre or racing tracks! (Just kidding, the team STILL doesn't share my passion for horses, for some weird reason...)
That weird reason is not being a girl. ;) Btw: There IS an equestrian centre in the workshop!