• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So!

Holy Fury is out with all of it’s glory this week!

I just want to say from all of the team that we have been super excited about this release for weeks now and to see the experiences from everyone playing it so far has been so much fun. We’re happy that everyone is enjoying our updates and the things we’ve been tinkering on for the last year.

This week we’ve kept ourselves busy with trying to listen in and gather the things you’re talking about. We’ve noticed a couple of issues that we’re addressing in an upcoming patch, and we are continuing to work on small improvements to make sure the game is in an even better state before going on our winter vacation.

We’re looking forward to hear about your adventures in Holy Fury this weekend! :)

Cheers,

Divine

Sorry to head that your running into performance issues. Our tests after the currently implemented optimizations showed that it would end up running at the same speed as the 2.8.x versions if not ever so slightly faster. Your mileage might vary though.
In my case is not that it runs slower as much as it freezes quite a long time when opening tabs, clicking on character's portraits and before getting an event. Maybe there is something causing it in the current version as it did not happen in the previous one, as far as I can tell.

Last edited:
One of the best DLC! But it is a pity that the Russian localization was not added, we will have to wait for an amateur translation.
Thanks for the praise. :)
One day maybe, I know that people are always looking into adding more localized languages. It's a tougher call for our older games though since they end up with this enormous chunk of unlocalized text in the backlog. This is at least a big problem for CK2 and EU4.
I'm always impressed though by the good work people are doing with the fan-made language mods!

I was having trouble with delving into the classics with the strategos of syracuse in the 769 start and wondered if it was a bug. Then I decided to delve into the code and discovered that heretics aren't allowed to delve into the classics, and, like most of the Byzantine Empire, my character was Iconoclast, which is an Orthodox heresy. This explains why my later strategoi could delve into the classics but my initial character couldn't (because iconoclast became the dominant faith over orthodox). One issue I'd like to report is that if you delve into the classics, are given the decision to convert to Hellenism and select "not yet", that character can never re-delve into the classics and is never given another opportunity to convert. If the conversion is actually a secret conversion, could that be made more explicit?

EDIT: Oh, and I forgot to mention, this DLC is amazing! Thanks for the awesome content!

Last edited:
Thanks for the ideas, I'll make sure that we at least consider adding something for them. As you already implied, Knud might be a tough call since it would stack bloodlines from the beginning, though. :)
Also, another would be the blood of king Sancho III of Navarra. He was called the Great, controlled most of Christian Iberia at the time until his lands were divided between his children. The Kingdoms of Castille and Aragon were born from his Kingdom of Navarra (Pamplona, to be historically accurate) and it's the reason why in 1066 there are Jimenas in almost every Iberian kingdom.

Oh, interesting! I didn't know that the symbol originated from him. As you might tell I wasn't the developer did the specific Russian research and update even though I find these things fascinating.

IMO better change CoA of Rus to Kiev Angel and Russian Empire CoA back to doubleheaded black eagle.
The reasons:
1. Rurikovich family didn't has own CoA. Princes usually used CoA of prinsdom (e.g. canon for Smolensk, bear for Yaroslavl etc)
2.it is normal to use CoA of most powerful historical state for hypotetical empire that never been existed in that historical period

In my case is not that it runs slower as much as it freezes when opening tabs, clicking on character's portraits or before getting an event. Maybe there is something causing it in the current version as it did not happen in the previous one, as far as I can tell.
Thanks for the in-depth answer. I don't have a good answer to why that would happen now more than we've put more things in the character view. I'll try to take a look if we're doing something excessive when setting it up though.

I really like Happy Furry, but I don't like and don't understand some od changes in coat of arms. We had a beautiful coat of arms for Russia. Now we have the same as Kiev. Why?
We can use ducal/kings coat of arms in custom kingdoms and empires. In e_russia we just simply lost one of option for cool coat of arm :(
Why copy the same coat for the second time when there was another one? Cool one!

I really love this patch, gives so much more to do during idle times!

A question though, is there a way is random world to play a pagan religion? I seem to be able to only choose reformed religions, even at the earliest start of the game.

2.it is normal to use CoA of most powerful historical state for hypotetical empire that never been existed in that historical period
No, we do a judgement call on the CoAs that didn't exist during that time period. We also look for older realms that could've existed in that area and try to steer away from things that are too modern.

Thank you all for your kind words and sharing stories from the expansion. The team worked hard and put their love into it, so it's great to see it pay off!

I remember when Holy Fury was presented to me at the end of development of Jade Dragon. I think it went something like this:

Me: "This looks amazing! When can we release it?"
Project Lead: "I'd say November 2018 looks feasible."
Me: "A whole year?! For an expansion! You can't be serious."
Project Lead: "Yup."

Looking back now, I'm glad we took the time we needed, considering how well it turned out. :)

Last edited:
No, we do a judgement call on the CoAs that didn't exist during that time period. We also look for older realms that could've existed in that area and try to steer away from things that are too modern.
Ok, then why kingdom of England uses three lions (which became CoA starting from Plantagenets) not the cross and birds of Saxon dynasty?
Imo it is because England strongly associates with that CoA, just like e_russia with doubleheaded black eagle

I haven't read the whole thread but just wanted to say I'm really loving HF right now.

Ok, then why kingdom of England uses three lions (which became CoA starting from Plantagenets) not the cross and birds of Saxon dynasty?
Imo it is because England strongly associates with that CoA, just like e_russia with doubleheaded black eagle
It may be because the cross and birds was a completely fictitious device applied to the Saxon dynasties by over-zealous heralds.

nd

Though I have yet to get the time to play it, I have to say Holy Fury has me more hyped to play CK2 than I've felt in years. Easily one of the best expansions put out for the game. This sort of continued support from Paradox staff for their games is what makes Paradox Interactive my favorite company :)

Really enjoying it too, excellent work. Had a few odd issues besides the black CoAs, a marriage thing I posted a thread about (couldn't select patently available spouses) but that went away on a restart and then in the latest try find for some reason can't appoint the head of a holy order (St Anthony, it forms straight off in a 1066 shattered world start as the rules mean conditions met straight away) as a commander even though he's not doing anything else.
To add my perennial whine, did hope for a few little tweaks and flourishes for Miaphysites amid this shower of goodness, still finding the Coptic Pope keeps karking due to Alexandria being a diseases hotspot for example. Also be good if the holy order was not fixed to change culture of grandmaster to Ethiopian on accession, or better still add a small Armenian one. Not that any of this is critical, still having a blast! And a tonne of stuff still to try, not dipped into Africa yet.