• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Initium

Bullfilter

Old Boardgame Grognard
46 Badges
Aug 31, 2008
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • For the Motherland
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
Initium

Welcome all. I hope you will indulge this nostalgic AAR on the Rome of EU Rome. Yes, the game may be old and venerable - ancient even, especially with the new Imperator Rome being advertised now. But that seems very suitable!

I used to play this game quite a lot after it came out (just the original version, on disk!). When I saw the new Imperator game advertised/coming out, I thought I’d give it another go for old times sake! I lashed out and spent $2.50 for Rome Gold + Vae Victis (which I’ve never played).

So, while I used to play the original Vanilla game a fair bit, it was a long time ago, and much of the detailed memory and nuance of tactics, events etc has long since been forgotten. Though I'm sure things will come back to me (like militia getting slaughtered by heavy infantry, etc). Much will also be new gameplay introduced with Vae Victis. This is all good, as it helps the AI!

So, this will be EU Rome Gold with Vae Victis, but no other mods. Start is 474 AVC/280 BC - the Pyrrhic War.

1JuT3H.jpg

I'm playing on Hard difficulty. Would have gone for Very Hard if I'd played this any time within gaming memory! :)

The style of this AAR will be gameplay with commentary, as short and sharp as I can make it (anyone familiar with my 'Quick and Dirty' format can expect the equivalent of that, except with a few more illustrations and quotes). It will not be a narrative or detailed history book. I simply can't afford to do that with two very detailed AARs to write at the same time.

This is intended as a quick, fun romp to anticipate what should be a far more handsome and sophisticated game when it is released. We'll see how this goes. Please feel very free to offer advice, comments, requests or suggestions along the way.

PS: I'll put in the odd Latin word or phrase along the way, but don't expect it to be right! Same with any illustrations being anachronistic. I'm just going for the vibe, not exacting historical and scholarly accuracy. ;)

PPS: OK, mea culpa re it being that quick a romp, given it’s still going as at May 2021 as I write this! It’s become more of a substantive chronicle than I anticipated when starting it. :D

First episode up soon!

sgqauj.jpg

Senatus Populusque Romanus
(The Roman Senate and People)

Last edited:
Chapter I: A Roman Citizen (1 January 474 AUC/280 BC)
Chapter I: A Roman Citizen
(1 January 474 AUC/280 BC)

sgqauj.jpg

Senatus Populusque Romanus
(The Roman Senate and People)

9jBgJ9.jpg

Civis Romanus Sum

This is the Republic. Being a citizen of Rome is a great honour in itself. Some strive for more. This is their story and that of the Roman Republic they seek to lead to glory, each in their turn.

§§§§§§§

Territory and Leadership

First, we shall take a quick look at the territory governed by Rome and its immediate environs – especially the great adversary Carthage.

LwAMNH.jpg

The Republic, 474 AUC/280 BC.

NaOzW4.jpg

The East is dominated by the successor states of Alexander – especially the Seleucids and Egypt.

aMa0I1.jpg

In the West, mighty Carthage is the dominant power. Rome is the new middle power on the rise. The rest is largely made up of primitive tribes and uncivilised wilderness, with the exception of Rome’s ally, Massilia.

pkBKmf.jpg

In legend, Romulus and Remus founded Rome and Romulus was its first King. But this modern Republic will suffer no King to rule it.

Historical Note: Lucius Aemilius Barbula was elected consul for 281 BC and was given a command against the Samnites. He invaded the territory of Tarentum, which called on Pyrrhus of Epirus for help. This is the setting for the start of this game and the reason Rome is at war.

5kl4tP.jpg

§§§§§§§

Infrastructure and Technology

Rome is already a significant and established city with considerable infrastructure. New trade links need to be established, before the war with Pyrrhus can be addressed. Gold and strategic trade resources are vital.

MQYaBX.jpg

The rest of the Roman provinces are not nearly so developed, at most with road networks and stockades (to give Level 2 fortification). The road network – all of which must of course lead to Rome – is marked.

fIAVFf.jpg

KJe7tt.jpg

Roman roads – vital for prosperity and the rapid movement of the Legions.

But at this stage, Roman technology is such that no further improvements (buildings) can be built in any province. So those provinces will remain under-developed until that can be fixed.

zzD5Sd.jpg

Technology is being researched as best it can, with appointees already in place (they cannot be removed for a year and expect to serve two – they will object if removed early). Other than Rome, the rest of the provinces offer only minor assistance. We need to improve this in the future if we are to thrive and improve the Republic.

Gg3tPi.jpg

§§§§§§§

Government and Diplomatic Relations

We have already met the Consul (we will treat the leading candidate of the ‘Next Consul’ grouping as the Second Consul, which is of course not directly portrayed in the game. So ‘the Consul’ will be played as having the sole Imperium [Command] and Auctoritas [Authority] to rule, while in office).

Below is the representation of the factions within the Senate at game start. The dreaded Populists must, of course, be opposed at all times! We will look at the establishment of trade routes and see whether it is auspicious to invoke an Omen a little later, in order to decrease their political attraction. But first, two Censors must be appointed.

73agPs.jpg

Zg96tr.jpg

The Senate of Rome – the true focus of legislative power in the Republic (the other assemblies and all their additional intricacies not being represented in-game).

It is best to have as many office-seeking Senators in positions as possible, lest their loyalty become suspect and they drift towards populism. The current Consul is from the Mercantile faction, so his first pick is a factional colleague, Gaius Julius Bubulcus. The second is a prominent Senator from the Religious faction, Gaius Fabricius Luscinus – who happens to have the ambition of serving as Censor: this should keep him happy. [Note, there is minimal science to this for now – I just want to fill the positions with some likely looking candidates and get going. I’ll try to figure out the nuances as I go!]

tPYgth.jpg

Some Senators are lobbying for colonies to be formed in the bordering provinces of Liguria and Bononia – but for now, the barbarians are too strong in both locations. And the army is required for duty in war, so pacifying them will need to wait.

6KZsFY.jpg

More broadly, our current enemies are Epirus and Magna Graecia. Other than Massilia, no other country or tribe in the known world has a favourable opinion of Rome. So be it! And, of course, everyone takes it as read that Carthage is the true enemy. The Italian peninsula just needs to be sorted out first. And a better fleet will eventually be needed to vie with Carthaginian supremacy at sea, too.

PeLwQ7.jpg

§§§§§§§

National Ideas, Trade and Religion

As Consul at the beginning of this period, Barbula must choose the key national ideas that will drive Rome forward for the coming years. As a Military Republic, the ‘standard’ mix is two military and one civic idea – which, if chosen, allows the national bonus of decreasing war exhaustion. A useful thing for Rome! There are only two Military ideas available, so they are selected. The choice of Civic ideas is comparatively simple for such a warlike nation: Civic Duty it is. Neither Economic or Religious ideas are considered at this stage.

ypO6uE.jpg

As mentioned before, initial trade networks are set up – all internal for now. These can be adjusted later and foreign deals (which would be more lucrative) sought, but the key focus now is just getting them going and ensuring Rome has access to key strategic resources (needed if we want to produce anything except militia in the future). It will take a little while for the trade routed to become established.

tZxEol.jpg

The Religious faction is also advocating that both the Omens be consulted and a Sacrifice made. While successfully calling on the Augurs to consult the Omens can provide useful benefits (and would put one in the eye of the Populists in the Senate), the Pontifex Maximus advises the Omens are not currently auspicious. But we can afford a Sacrifice, which will increase all-important stability (currently neutral at 0) – now cheaper with the two Censors appointed. It is done.

0DS4SI.jpg

XrUirC.jpg

Let us hope the Gods are appeased. The people like it and the associated feasting and entertainment, anyway – which is what really counts.

§§§§§§§

Military Situation

The first requirement is to grant Imperium for the command of the 1st (and currently only) Legion in Apulia, facing the enemy in Tarentum. “Who better than myself?” declares Consul Barbula rhetorically. He is one of the better generals available (none are higher than 7 in martial skill) and it is a lifelong ambition of his. He wants any glory from the campaign to fall on him, naturally. The possibility of defeat is not considered!

FgjdBC.jpg

The fleet command is given to Publius Cornelius Rufinius, a prominent member of the Military faction. He is highly competent, is an original thinker, hungers for an official title and harbours (pun intended) a deep-seated ambition to become a Naval Prefect! Let us see what he can make of it.

v06yju.jpg

Here is a quick country comparison from the ledger: Rome has the edge in manpower, but we need to defeat the renowned Pyrrhus: and we don’t yet know how many troops he is actually fielding, nor where exactly they are.

rDoSjX.jpg

This is all we know at the moment. The Magna Graecia forces are all in Tarentum and badly outnumbered – but where is Pyrrhus’s main body? In Sicily or Epirus? Will he try a naval landing? [And its been so long since I played I can’t remember! No-one spoil it for me if you know. ;)]

McQEVJ.jpg

y6l47E.jpg

To war! Consul Barbula orders the advance on Tarentum.

§§§§§§§

Chapter II will get right into the execution of the war. Given I have two other AARs to write, I hope to keep the updates short, sharp and regular, if not frequent. Thanks for reading - please, comments always very welcome, or just a quick 'subbed' etc, just so I know someone is reading in this little lost corner of AARLand. :)

Finis

Last edited:
Check those image links.
PS: I'll put in the odd Latin word or phrase along the way, but don't expect it to be right! Same with any illustrations being anachronistic. I'm just going for the vibe, not exacting historical and scholarly accuracy. ;)

So long as you dont mind italians, greeks and learned types chiming in to correct the barbarians :)

Alright, hello again. This should be good. Any long or short term goals to shoot dor or are we going for as big an empire as possible?

Check those image links.

So long as you dont mind italians, greeks and learned types chiming in to correct the barbarians :)

Alright, hello again. This should be good. Any long or short term goals to shoot dor or are we going for as big an empire as possible?
Hello TBC! Lovely to see you here. The links all work fine for me on PC and iPad- I think sometimes there are just gremlins around. Sadly, the devil seems to be in the machine this time. ;)

Frankly, I’ve forgotten so much about the game I don’t have too many objectives yet - basically try to match or exceed the progress the real guys did in OTL. I may refine/add to that as I get into it. A voyage of exploration and conquest!

Historical Note: Lucius Aemilius Barbula was elected consul for 281 BC and was given a command against the Samnites. He invaded the territory of Tarentum, which called on Pyrrhus of Epirus for help. This is the setting for the start of this game and the reason Rome is at war.

A nice long game then. Freedom to expand in any direction and compltetly change world history.

We have already met the Consul (we will treat the leading candidate of the ‘Next Consul’ grouping as the Second Consul, which is of course not directly portrayed in the game.

Its not? Even though the system was explicitly set up so no one was sole leader unless at a time of crisis? Oh dear...

So ‘the Consul’ will be played as having the sole Imperium [Command] and Auctoritas [Authority] to rule, while in office).

Alright. There should be suitable tension between the two as well...unless they're brothers of course.

The dreaded Populists must, of course, be opposed at all times!

Their time will come....apparently.

The Senate of Rome – the true focus of legislative power in the Republic (the other assemblies and all their additional intricacies not being represented in-game).

Hmm...not even as a modifyer? Odd.

Its not? Even though the system was explicitly set up so no one was sole leader unless at a time of crisis? Oh dear...

Alright. There should be suitable tension between the two as well...unless they're brothers of course.

Their time will come....apparently.

Hmm...not even as a modifyer? Odd.
No, these were ancient times (ie of game design ;) ) and the game system (all countries) was set up for a single ruler (ie the player) at a time. Perhaps the new game will be able to cope with their unique system of government. For the AAR, I’ll simply wave the magic wand over it. :rolleyes::D

I've thought about starting up a Rome game, but alas have no time. Will have to have the experience vicariously via yours.

I've thought about starting up a Rome game, but alas have no time. Will have to have the experience vicariously via yours.
Lovely! As I'll be playing and posting, all advice and comments both welcome and pertinent. :)

Lovely! As I'll be playing and posting, all advice and comments both welcome and pertinent. :)
I never played it much - Rome fell right in my "dead patch" of PDS games.

Well, this is a pleasant surprise! Two active EU:Rome AARs going at the same time -- and one of them by an author I'm already following, to boot! I will, of course, absolutely have to keep an eye on this one :)

I have fond memories of the game, but in the long run my interest got caught by "shinier objects" so I never really put into it the same hours that I've spent on other Paradox games. This and Sengoku (which I still have yet to actually play myself) always sort of struck me as "stealth beta-tests" for features and mechanics Paradox was planning on incorporating into their main line of big-name titles.

Hah! Papilionem Rufus, perhaps? :D

I suppose. Classically speaking they wpuld probably just give it the one word name, and then a bunch of titles and descriptive sentences for poets. See Athene, Pallas, Pallas Athene (the proper name) etc.
Given he was 'Red' only because the Turks were allied to communists (a tenuous link already) he wouldnt be referred to as such. Compositor maybe. papilio compositor, because he's a the.

I imagine the Greeks and Romans would be terrified of him. They always were of deities that routinly involved themsevles in mortal matters when asked. Could probably be a more interesting character too, since the Romans would routinely (incorrectly) gender it male and masculine whilst the greeks were far more comfortable with genderless personification of nature. Hmm...

But if we start on this then we'll really fall down the rabbit whole and I'd probably bring in the entire Pantheon to play with, since its such a good one for stories.

I suppose. Classically speaking they wpuld probably just give it the one word name, and then a bunch of titles and descriptive sentences for poets. See Athene, Pallas, Pallas Athene (the proper name) etc.
Given he was 'Red' only because the Turks were allied to communists (a tenuous link already) he wouldnt be referred to as such. Compositor maybe. papilio compositor, because he's a the.

I imagine the Greeks and Romans would be terrified of him. They always were of deities that routinly involved themsevles in mortal matters when asked. Could probably be a more interesting character too, since the Romans would routinely (incorrectly) gender it male and masculine whilst the greeks were far more comfortable with genderless personification of nature. Hmm...

But if we start on this then we'll really fall down the rabbit whole and I'd probably bring in the entire Pantheon to play with, since its such a good one for stories.
Indeed, it will just remain a theoretical exercise. And, to keep things tight and myself (comparatively) sane, the narrative elements (if any) of this one will be kept minimal. Rich though it is for such treatment.

I never played it much - Rome fell right in my "dead patch" of PDS games.
This and HOI1 were the only PDS ones I ever played (never got into EU proper) until this last year or so. I’m wondering how much of it will come back to me ;)
Well, this is a pleasant surprise! Two active EU:Rome AARs going at the same time -- and one of them by an author I'm already following, to boot! I will, of course, absolutely have to keep an eye on this one :)

I have fond memories of the game, but in the long run my interest got caught by "shinier objects" so I never really put into it the same hours that I've spent on other Paradox games. This and Sengoku (which I still have yet to actually play myself) always sort of struck me as "stealth beta-tests" for features and mechanics Paradox was planning on incorporating into their main line of big-name titles.
I’d been meaning to fire it up again for a while, and thought I’d do one before the new game comes out, just for the fun of it. Thanks so much for patronising it!

For me, it was the Roman period that interested me. I had an old game called Annals of Rome which was actually quite good for what it did (dynamic barbarian invasions and nations - I recall playing one through to the 1400s, IIRC. That and the Total War ancient franchises.

This will be a bit of fun - not modern and glossy EU or CK2 standard, but from memory you can get into some pretty desperate fights! :)

Little did I expect this intriguing new project to pop up today, @Bullfilter, but it's a welcome sight!;)

I believe I am one of these people who had no strong opinion whether the next PDX game should become Victoria III or a new Rome game, simply because I greatly want both of them :p, but it also means that now that we're getting Imperator: Rome I'm indeed glad. It's very kind of you to give us this tasty AAR to chew on as we live our way through the wait for I:R. May this AAR entertain us with much "Rome-ness" and temporarily fill (or perhaps feed?;)) our hunger for the new game. As they say, bread and games!:D

Regarding the game (EU:Rome, that is), your AAR will serve as a review for me to judge whether or not to pick it up on sale sometime this summer or autumn, in the wait. I know you were sceptical to paying much for it, but the sign that you were willing to buy it anew, be it for a cheaper price, implies that it might have some value after all, so I still hold hope.

Looking forward to see how the Pyrrhusian war will fare. The starting battle looks to be a safe win, so here is for a quick and glorious unification of the Italian peninsula!:)

P.S. I am sure you are aware of my semi-absence at this point and it isn't exactly over, but summer holidays are around the corner, so maybe I can get some greater amount of reading done eventually.:)

Little did I expect this intriguing new project to pop up today, @Bullfilter, but it's a welcome sight!;)

I believe I am one of these people who had no strong opinion whether the next PDX game should become Victoria III or a new Rome game, simply because I greatly want both of them :p, but it also means that now that we're getting Imperator: Rome I'm indeed glad. It's very kind of you to give us this tasty AAR to chew on as we live our way through the wait for I:R. May this AAR entertain us with much "Rome-ness" and temporarily fill (or perhaps feed?;)) our hunger for the new game. As they say, bread and games!:D

Regarding the game (EU:Rome, that is), your AAR will serve as a review for me to judge whether or not to pick it up on sale sometime this summer or autumn, in the wait. I know you were sceptical to paying much for it, but the sign that you were willing to buy it anew, be it for a cheaper price, implies that it might have some value after all, so I still hold hope.

Looking forward to see how the Pyrrhusian war will fare. The starting battle looks to be a safe win, so here is for a quick and glorious unification of the Italian peninsula!:)

P.S. I am sure you are aware of my semi-absence at this point and it isn't exactly over, but summer holidays are around the corner, so maybe I can get some greater amount of reading done eventually.:)
Wonderful to have you aboard, Macke11! I still actually had a functioning original, but thought if I was going to give this a go, it may as well be up to date - and the sale price for the whole package was cheaper that anything I’d pay for the single DLC alone.

So, here’s another AAR I’ve talked myself into. :) I need to again finish one of these before I start another (I still have two more HOI3 ideas in mind, one already flagged as ‘Quick and Dirty 2’ - continuing the France game but as the Soviets against a victorious Allies and still strong Japan). Have to retain time for RL in between though. :oops:

ROMANES EUNT DOMUS!
Romani ite domum - now, write it out 100 times! :D

Let’s hope I don’t get “thwown to the gwound, woughly” by Carthage! Thanks for tuning in GulMacet. :)

Very possibly the only entertaining latin lesson of the last century.

Ancient Greek on the other hand, and Classics in general, is frequently hilarious. Many of the texts that survived through the ages survived because they were absolutely filthy. As in, I cannot put a truthful translation of much of Aristophanes on this forum.
I sorta dont want you to beat the greeks. Or the irish. Screw everyone else:D