Cities: Skylines (Steam) - Cargo Trains exporting but generating no income from industries DLC

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

leatherfoot

Private
18 Badges
Nov 4, 2011
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Prison Architect
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Surviving Mars
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
Description
Cargo Trains exporting but generating no income from industries DLC

What is your game version?
1.11.0-f3

What expansions do you have installed?
All of the above

Please explain your issue is in as much detail as possible.
I isolated the oil industry district (new DLC one) using trams to get workers there. If I use just a cargo train (no road exports) the trucks go to the station and drop off, the train leaves the map but no income is generated at all (after months of game running).

As soon as I attach a road to the network, the trucks leave the map and generate income.

Can you replicate the issue? If yes, please explain how you did it.
I did a clean install on my computer with same result. I then went to my laptop (never had the game installed there) did a clean install and had the same result. I ensured to unsubscribe to all mods before installing.

My son loaded my save on his computer and replicated it there as well.

Attachments

Attachments

• test.crp
    5,6 MB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I just started playing the DLC, and while I do recognize that the budget overview reports my industries income as highly negative ever since my city started exporting via train, I don't see that I actually lose any income. The income+expenses from industries does show a big negative number, but I get about what I expect I should earn, when I include my train income (public transportation tab) in the total.

I do agree with the other reports that this should be fixed..., it is very confusing to manage the way it is now.

I just started playing the DLC, and while I do recognize that the budget overview reports my industries income as highly negative ever since my city started exporting via train, I don't see that I actually lose any income. The income+expenses from industries does show a big negative number, but I get about what I expect I should earn, when I include my train income (public transportation tab) in the total.

I do agree with the other reports that this should be fixed..., it is very confusing to manage the way it is now.

This is it?
I only carry cargo per train and I have revenue from them.
Is it just a mistake in the industry report and the revenue going to the transportation system?

The income+expenses from industries does show a big negative number, but I get about what I expect I should earn, when I include my train income (public transportation tab) in the total.
Interesting discovery. There are findings reported here that similarly mess up the income/expense information, just related to warehouses instead.

This is it?
I only carry cargo per train and I have revenue from them.
Is it just a mistake in the industry report and the revenue going to the transportation system?
Not just a accounting mistake but a real loss. I made tons of money with my city, over 20 million with 4 5 star industries and no zoneable industry. I added cargo hubs, airports and stations. The money in the bank fell to 15 million before I stumbled on the huge loss from DLC industries. Deleting all export by anything other than road and the profits poured in, DLC industry income skyrocketed from a heavy minus to a very healthy plus, with less exports....

I'm not sure what is happening exactly. From my testing, I know that cargo shipments generate insanely much income. But I haven't been able to pinpoint the exact moment this happens. With passenger trains, you can see each citizen pay $2 immediately after boarding. This is not the case with cargo. I have been able to spawn a single cargo train that would some time later generate up to $50,000 income. This would be possible when part of that train contains unique factory products, because unique factory products are valued at $1 a piece. I did also notice that exporting via the outside train connection seems to generate less public transport income than exporting to a cargo station that spawns trucks. But both do generate public transport income on my map.

I think barrygreybeard may have a combination with something else that I do not have on my map. Perhaps the type of products is different, or the border of the map (invissible) has congestion and causes despawning, etc? My map has no zoned industry and I made sure there was no train income from anywhere else before testing this.

Not just a accounting mistake but a real loss. I made tons of money with my city, over 20 million with 4 5 star industries and no zoneable industry. I added cargo hubs, airports and stations. The money in the bank fell to 15 million before I stumbled on the huge loss from DLC industries. Deleting all export by anything other than road and the profits poured in, DLC industry income skyrocketed from a heavy minus to a very healthy plus, with less exports....

Same here, I was making lots of money from exporting through highway, until I added train and air export. I started losing money rapidly. I shut down all my train and air export et voila, I am gaining money again.

Here's a strong confirmation of the bug using science (tm). This is the test I made for my friend who owns the DLC and was skeptical of the bug. Completely modless, except for the official Difficulty and Unlock All mods, as well as Move It!

With a connection to the train station, we can see quite a bit of cargo being exported by train, and his industry area has a total profit (according to the budget panel dedicated to industry areas) of -4000 to +10000. It tends to stay around +4000, and his city's cash flow is negative.

If we cut off the train station from the road by removing the three small connections indicated by red arrows in the screenshot, pretty quickly the total profit stabilizes in the range +0 to +24000, staying most of the time around +10000, and his city has positive cash flow.

We changed absolutely nothing else to the city besides these three pieces of road, and we've repeated the experiment multiple times with the same results. Let's just say my friend was pretty pissed off about his purchase.

Cities Skylines Industries train export bug.png

For the curious, here's the zoomed-out view of the city, with the industrial area in red. The train line is connected to the maps four external train connections, as well as to a cargo hub on the western coast.

Cities Skylines Industries train export bug - zoomed out view.png

Side-note: The toll booths don't seem that efficient in discouraging the use of roads. I don't even know if they affect cargo pathfinding, as even with non-automated toll booths asking for maximum fee at the entrance of the city and at every map exit, some buildings in the industry area preferred exporting by truck rather than train/boat.

Last edited:
I'd like to clarify something. Does this bug depend on whether or not the cargo station is inside or outside an industrial district? For example, if a cargo station is just outside an industrial district and trucks deliver to it, will the district still earn a profit since the trucks are crossing the district line?

I'd like to clarify something. Does this bug depend on whether or not the cargo station is inside or outside an industrial district? For example, if a cargo station is just outside an industrial district and trucks deliver to it, will the district still earn a profit since the trucks are crossing the district line?
It doesn't change a thing. We've tested both with the cargo train station inside or outside the industrial district.

And I'd like to emphasize that this isn't just a display bug: the money is lost, it doesn't appear in any other budget category, and in our experiment above w/ the screenshots, the city's cashflow changed from rapidly increasing to rapidly decreasing just by reconnecting the cargo train station to the industrial area.

It was in the patch notes for the last patch (the 13th of December).
I'm on v 1.11.1f2 and the issue is still there. I created a small test town with only a single Oil Industry area. 1 train station with no roads from there to the outside world, which forces my trucks to stay in the Industrial area and deliver to the station only. Trains are coming and going with product and the station generates no income.

I'm am fairly new to the game but I think this is a good test. I can upload a .crp soon. Any ideas? Undoubtedly, it could be something I'm doing wrong. I just don't know what that could be.

Check the public transport category. The income might not be listed in the area overview, but in the train station's exports. Also make sure you test without any mods (the default ones are okay, but nothing from the workshop).

Is this where you're talking about? That Income number is always 0, however the income I make from Oil is around 7K in this example. My assumption is that is all from trucks or maybe I'm wrong.
train_income.PNG