• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Posting on behalf of Karoliina, who is travelling at the moment.

So, the monorails. I’ve written about all the other new public transport systems, so they are the last remaining one. The type in Mass Transit is an elevated monorail, basically meaning that it goes on tracks elevated with pylons. This allows the monorail to operate on top on roads and on water, given lots of options on placement and making sure it does not need much free ground.

001.png

The basics of the monorail are much like the metro. Build stations, connect them with tracks and then mark lines. The line will automatically start operating once it is looping. What separates the monorail from the metro, is that it can be built on top of roads. A new avenue type has been added with monorail tracks going on top of the section between lanes. This avenue is just like a regular road, so that you can easily upgrade existing roads to use it. While the monorail has stand-alone stations that work just like stations for any other transport type, the new and awesome thing is the station type you can place on top of a road. A lot of space is saved by building on the roads.

016.png

The monorail station comes with a piece of road, so you may need to remove some road or plan the stations very early. When you have chosen the spot where you want to build, place the station there and connect it with both roads and tracks to make it operational. The tracks also work without a road, so you can creatively connect sections of stand-alone track and sections of track on top of an avenue. You can even build on water, making outstanding scenic routes and saving space on land.

007.png

The monorail can turn at the end of the line, so you don’t need to construct loops in the ends. A station is enough, the monorail train will automatically change direction if that is how the line loops. You do need to mark each individual stop, but this allows you to also skip stops if that is what works best for your line. The train does not need to stop on a station every time it passes a station.

005.png

I personally find the elevated monorail one of the most interesting transport types in the game. Not only does it look cool on both tracks and stations, and you can also peek into the stations to see the trains stopping and even see the timetable screens, but it is also very useful. Fast means of transportation that takes up only minimum space and can be built on top of existing infrastructure, as well as in stand-alone sections, and mixing these freely gives a lot of possibilities on how to create just the type of monorail system that fits your city.

I can’t wait to see all the wonderful and weird monorail systems you will built!

Cheers
Karoliina

My concern is interchange stations... I.e., hubs with two or more pairs of tracks so that cims can switch lines within the hub. This is what happens in real life, but missing in CSL (at least for the metro system), though there are mods which would solve this issue...

My concern is interchange stations... I.e., hubs with two or more pairs of tracks so that cims can switch lines within the hub. This is what happens in real life, but missing in CSL (at least for the metro system), though there are mods which would solve this issue...

We've had a glimpse of a passenger rail station with about six sets of tracks running into it. Looks awesome, but I hope there is a two track one as well. Also hope there is a multi-track monorail station. Probably a 2-track one would be sufficient.

Still hoping for a little love for the metro.

No way to place road that has both monorail as well as tram? Should be enough room for it...!

That could look cool. And with monorail stations that people get out of the building in the middle of the road as seen above, it would be convenient to have a tram stop right next to it.

Hy, it looks cool, and long awaited for me. I've only on question: is the monorails are much faster than the other track based systems, such as tram, train, metro? I am just asking this because, for monorails is always the main strenght that they are much faster than the others (if I correct, this was also the main reason in SC4 to better build them, than metros).

It's from the "Content Creator Pack: High-Tech Buildings".
http://store.steampowered.com/app/547500/Cities_Skylines__Content_Creator_Pack_HighTech_Buildings/

TV station

It's just a "Unique Building".

Thanks - I thought this was a hint for interactive screens in-game with reference to actual things going on in the city. There are some posts of tv / news helicopters / broadcasting and this would be something I too would like to see (not the most important addition but a nice one at a later time).

Sounds great, but kind of overpowered. Are there any downsides, like noise pollution or decreasing land value?

Is this the last Developer Diary, or is there room for one more before the release?

If they stick to every second week on Wednesday, the 10th of May would be the last one. There was talk of possibly going to weekly as it got closer to the release date. If that were the case it could start now (03 May), or on the 17th, the day before release. Or not at all. Time will tell.

Just what i'm waiting for... but i had absolutely no time to play it the last 3 month :(. Real Life sucks sometimes. But now i got much free time so i can build in a few weeks a new city from scratch with monorail and blimps :)!

Will love this expansion!