Catalogue of unregistered & rogue aliens species

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

S.C. Watson

Captain
29 Badges
Apr 7, 2016
www.scwatsonart.com
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Rome Gold
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Rome: Vae Victis
[EDIT] YES. This IS a mod! :)
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=689601294

-=::ALIEN SUNS I::=-

ABOUT THIS MOD
I'm getting a lot of questions on this mod, so I wanted to cover the most common concerns here.
  • I am doing this in my spare time so progress may be slower than either of us like, but I do hope to have it ready as close to the release of Stellaris as possible!
  • The focus of this Mod: I'm focusing on more alien looking aliens here. So, no Vulcans, Klingons, Narn, Minbari, people with rubber foreheads. I want to avoid things that look directly related to earth species or people as much as possible.
    *The only exception to this is the Nloam below - they're a long standing running joke with a friend - hence the Star Fleet Uniform.
  • I hope to animate it - as of April 27th, I still need to find out the file types, and a whole host of other minor questions before I can do that. But, if I can, I will.
  • I am open to suggestion - but that is no guarantee that your suggestion will make it into this mod.
  • I am avoiding the current phenotypes for my own reasons, and instead using a more or less scientific approach to creature classification: Carnivore / Omnivore / Herbivore / Scavenger. This forms the basis of my approach to designing all of the aliens.
  • Pure energy / gaseous beings are outside the focus of this mod. I'm focusing on species that are evolutionarily possible, and therefore need to have some sort of corporeal body to interact with their environment.
  • I will probably do another mod focused on humans and human variants.
  • Yes, I take commissions. Just PM me and we can chat.

Original Post copy:
------------------------------------------------------------------
So, I think I may have mentioned once or twice that I draw stuff, and I really like alien race design, so, I intend on putting together a catalogue of alien race portraits that I'm doing for my own mod, viewable in this thread. I will be adding more as I complete them, so watch this space!

Also, if someone in the know could give the specs for what is needed to do our own customized race portraits, that would be awesome, because right now I'm just using the forum portraits as a template for this. I'd love to have this game ready as soon as possible.

As time allows, I'd hope to animate them as well.
------------------------------------------------------------------
SPECIES 001:: Blorg
Krf1ROR.png

SPECIES 002 :: Kukeri
gZ0azXp.png

SPECIES 003 :: Nloam, aka Grays, or "Speilbergers"
yFHOaiM.png

SPECIES 004 :: Ithaqgha
DZMPbSD.png

Species 005 :: Nyoggoth
XmFrHue.png

-------------------------------------------------------------------
The following portraits I originally did for my own use in Distant Worlds, which I plan on reworking and updating them for the Stellaris Universe(s).

Pending 003 :: Murrundal
jcM2Y1u.png

Pending 004 :: Nyarlakhee
zwBoRgX.png

More to come!
Cheers,
~S

Last edited:
Reactions:
Neat! Will you be sharing them as mod when the game comes out? Cool aliens that actually fit the feel of the game will be few and far between the sea of anime catgirls and other IP's, I suspect.

Reactions:
Very nice design. Can you do some Arachnid/Spindle type portraits?

Reactions:
Nice design and they look quite alien. They also don't seem to clash with the existing art style. I'm looking forward to more and maybe even see them in game.

Reactions:
Neat! Will you be sharing them as mod when the game comes out? Cool aliens that actually fit the feel of the game will be few and far between the sea of anime catgirls and other IP's, I suspect.
I hope to have it out by the time the game releases, but I need to know what the internal specs are :/ If I can't get that prior, then it will have to be after release.

Very nice design. Can you do some Arachnid/Spindle type portraits?
I do plan on doing some "leggy" designs, but I try to shy away from the categories that we have right now. But I'm sure there will be something that will work ;)

Nice design and they look quite alien. They also don't seem to clash with the existing art style. I'm looking forward to more and maybe even see them in game.

Thanks - yeah, I'm wanting to keep them stylistically coherent with the game so they work smoothly on a visual level. :)

Reactions:
Awesome stuff!

The next two dev diaries will be modding guides for Stellaris. Hopefully they go over how the (animated) portraits work.

Reactions:
Awesome stuff!

The next two dev diaries will be modding guides for Stellaris. Hopefully they go over how the (animated) portraits work.
That'd be great - but I also need to know file type and sizing specs for these, so. But, yeah. Anything would be helpful! :)

Reactions:
For the Blorg, did you combine the Blorg species choice with the other fungoids from the stream that are their allies? It looks like a mix between the two and I quite like it!

Wow. I'm looking at your website right now. Very impressive. Thanks from the community for putting your time and talents into Stellaris. When I get some money together I hope to buy a print!

Reactions:
Very nice, can't wait to add these to the game. :)

Your gallery is also quite impressive.
I've never had the manual control to paint or draw, but I've always enjoyed the results; and yours are exceptional.

Game ain't even out yet and folks are rebooting the Blorg.

Reactions:
I'm hoping a dev like @Aerie (or maybe even a beta tester, if they're allowed) would be so kind as to shed some light on the species portrait file dimensions and the animation file format.

The HoI4 devs were quite forthcoming and helpful when @Vonboe requested technical specs, so I'm hoping we can get some early information for Stellaris as well. Yes, I know the game will be released in a few weeks, but I'll be too busy playing the game once it's out... now's the best time to do prep work while we're waiting.

Reactions:
I really like the design of alien three. It strikes the right balance between vaguely familiar and completely alien. Also, if you can't come up with good names for your aliens, this name generator may come in handy. There's a lot of different parameters that create all sorts of different names, and, while it's meant for fantasy settings, it can be used to make decent names that don't sound like complete gibberish.

Reactions:
The information you need to get these ingame might be in the next Dev Diary. It is my understanding they will be going indepth on modding.

So awesome! Will these be put into a mod down the road?
Well, since that's kinda the whole point of this post, so ... nah. :p

Wow. I'm looking at your website right now. Very impressive. Thanks from the community for putting your time and talents into Stellaris. When I get some money together I hope to buy a print!
Thanks for the kind words! :) Most of the pieces there are available as prints, but not all of them are shown on my store page (just a time thingSQUIRREL!) If you see something that you want/like, but it's not at the store, just let me know and I'll set it up for you.

Looks great and fit with the style of the existing portraits. I like how odd and alien they look.
Thanks! :)

Very talented and in keeping with the design. Love that 4 armed sluggy guy. Some nice art on your site too!
Thanks! He's going to get a little bit of a rework, but will stay essentially the same. Fun fact, the eyes on top of his head are based off of this fish.

Very nice, can't wait to add these to the game. :)

Your gallery is also quite impressive.
I've never had the manual control to paint or draw, but I've always enjoyed the results; and yours are exceptional.
Thank you very much. Some days, I'm fairly certain I don't have the manual control either :confused: - but, as I tell everyone, it's like anything else. The more you do it, the better you get! I've just been drawing for a few more days than most, so;)

Excellent stuff! I particularly like the friendly-looking slugapede.
Thanks! As I noted to Teije above, a fun fact is that its' eyes / head are based off of this fish.

Game ain't even out yet and folks are rebooting the Blorg.
Not so much a reboot, as just another individual. I figure fungus aren't symmetrical like humans, so they'll have a wider range of variation. Still very much Blorg. :)

I'm hoping a dev like @Aerie (or maybe even a beta tester, if they're allowed) would be so kind as to shed some light on the species portrait file dimensions and the animation file format.
That would be great. I'd love to get my hands on some o' that info! :)

I really like the design of alien three. It strikes the right balance between vaguely familiar and completely alien. Also, if you can't come up with good names for your aliens, this name generator may come in handy. There's a lot of different parameters that create all sorts of different names, and, while it's meant for fantasy settings, it can be used to make decent names that don't sound like complete gibberish.
Thanks for the link, and the kind words. I actually don't have any trouble coming up with names for them, however, since I want to put together a mod / add on of them for the game, my intent is to leave them unnamed so that anyone who uses them ingame can name them what they want, or have the game generate a name for them. ;)

The information you need to get these ingame might be in the next Dev Diary. It is my understanding they will be going indepth on modding.
That would be awesome. Would love to see how to get them in game!

~S

Reactions: