• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter 1 (Jan-Feb 1920)

stevefitz744

Captain
31 Badges
Jun 12, 2016
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Rome Gold
  • March of the Eagles
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Victoria 2
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Rome: Vae Victis
Welcome to my very first AAR where I play a mod that I think definitely needs more love in this AAR section - AKA Peace Without Victory :)

This being my first AAR and the fact that I haven't played DH for over a year means I'm very optimistic of this being a complete clusterfuck but it could be fun anyway haha

As you may have guessed from the title my plan in this playthrough is to restore the German Empire and finally claim that place in the sun that's eluded them for too long.

The First Chapter should be up in a few hours

INDEX

Chapter 1 - Jan-Feb 1920
Chapter 2 - Mar-Jul 1920
Chapter 3 - Aug-Dec 1920
Chapter 4 - Jan-Jun 1921
Chapter 5 - Jul-Dec 1921
Chapter 6 - Jan-Jun 1922
Chapter 7 - Jul-Dec 1922
Chapter 8 - Jan-Nov 1923
Chapter 9 - The German Civil War Part 1
Chapter 10 - The German Civil War Part 2
Chapter 11 - The German Civil War Part 3
Interlude - The Kaiserreich and her Neighbours in 1924
Chapter 12 - Feb-Jun 1924
Chapter 13 - Jul-Dec 1924
Chapter 14 - Jan-Apr 1925
Chapter 15 - The Free-State War
Chapter 16 - Jun-Dec 1925
Chapter 17 - 1926
Chapter 18 - Jan-Jun 1927
Chapter 19 - Jul-Dec 1927
Chapter 20 - 1928
Chapter 21 - 1929
Chapter 22 - 1930-1931
Chapter 23 - 1932-1933
Epilogue Part 1 - 1934-1936

So, in case you all didn't know...I recently suffered a disastrous USB failure that destroyed many of my files including the screenshots for this AAR. Unfortunately this means I can no longer continue this AAR with proper pictures so from 1934 onwards this will simply be a chronology of important events to finish off the series. Its not perfect but its the best I can do...but don't worry this will not be my last AAR, not even close, so stay tuned :)

Last edited:
Welcome to AAR writing.

Welcome to AAR writing.

Thanks very much :)

Gonna choose the Empire or good ol Hitler?

I shall be bringing back the Empire

Also, yeah the first chapter wasn't released as planned since I decided to fall asleep instead, will hopefully have it out this evening, stay tuned :)

Sooo...quick question...does anybody else have the problem of F11 not working for taking screenshots when you have an event window open?

Kinda had to start my game over after realising that half of the screenshots I took didn't actually take...fun times

Yeah, f11 doesn't work with the event window, you're not the only one, I usually use the print screen button for event pics, you just have to copy each pic to ms paint or any equivalent program as soon as you take them.

If anyone knows a better option then please inform us. :D

Yeah, f11 doesn't work with the event window, you're not the only one, I usually use the print screen button for event pics, you just have to copy each pic to ms paint or any equivalent program as soon as you take them.

If anyone knows a better option then please inform us. :D

Yeah that's what I'm doing now and its working out fine, thanks

As it happens having to restart worked out well, I'm up to August 1920 and the game's already more interesting than my first playthrough...first chapter will be up tonight!

Sooo...quick question...does anybody else have the problem of F11 not working for taking screenshots when you have an event window open?

Kinda had to start my game over after realising that half of the screenshots I took didn't actually take...fun times
Yep, pretty annoying.
:p

But you get used to having to shift to Paint and stuff like that, haha.
I'm glad to see an Imperial Germany AAR, thought it would be imperial when I saw "Bringing back the army with a State", I couldn't think in anything else than Prussia.
^^

The Actual Chapter 1 (Messed up with labelling threadmarks haha)
So, without further ado, here is the first chapter only a day later than originally promised XD

Enjoy and let me know what you think!!

Chapter 1 (Jan-Feb 1920)
The new decade begun with Germany broken and defeated, the German people had turned their back on the Kaiser and stood by while the Social Democrats overthrew Wilhelm II and made a humiliating peace with the Entente before establishing the Weimar Republic. However, not everyone in Germany has forgotten the glory days of the Kaiserreich, many long for the return of Imperial Power and for the German Reich to finally earn their place in the sun and become the dominant power on the European Continent. Gott Mitt Uns!!!

However, even the most fanatical royalists can see that Germany has a lot of work ahead of them to regain their old glory, the once proud Armed Forces of the Reich have been neutered by the victorious Allies who now surround the weakened Reich, to the West the French are determined to keep Germany down while to the East the newly created Polish Republic rules over land that is rightfully German, including the so-called Polish corridor separating the Reich from the royal homeland of Prussia. For now the weak Weimar Government adheres to the hated Versailles Treaty and does little more than attempt to preserve their ill-gained power.

pmBC4nbFp

While the armed forces are subject to massive restrictions there is nothing stopping Germany from researching more advanced designs that one day may outfit a strong and advanced Reichswehr. At least the Weimar Government realises this too, it may be the one useful thing they do.

pmLe7cAcp

Outside of Germany, multiple wars continue to rage in the East which began as a result of the Russian Revolution in 1917, while the Bolsheviks have gained a clear ascendancy over the scattered White Armies in the Civil War the forces of the Red Army also advance West against Poland and the rump Ukrainian State.

plSPrO4Lp

Further south, the collapse of the Ottoman Empire and subsequent Allied attempts to partition the Empire has led to conflict as the Turkish Republic fights against Greek attempts to advance further into Anatolia while the Turkish lands under British & French occupation are increasingly threatened.

plcPaGS5p

Back at home, the 3rd of February is commemorated as the one-year anniversary of the passing of the Weimar Constitution...

pmiZExiAp

...However, this Constitution is as inept as the Weimar Government itself and political instability rages daily as extremists on both the right and left battle each other in the streets. There are many on the right who wish to see the restoration of the Kaiserreich but some other parties and factions have seemingly darker ambitions.

poZdA5Dbp

Back in the East, the feared Red Army have suffered setbacks against determined Polish Forces who have even managed to carry out a successful counteroffensive south of Minsk, the Russian SFSR are forced to sign a Peace Treaty with Estonia to allow them to divert much-needed manpower south for the fight with Poland and also Ukraine who continue to hold out.

pm5wyTogp

However, just two weeks later the Ukrainian People's Republic capitulates following a renewed Red Army offensive in the south. Despite this success, the Bolshevik Forces continue to be pushed back by Polish Offensives in Ruthenia. Polish volunteer units who fought alongside the Ukrainians continue to fight behind enemy lines which causes some major disruptions and prevents the Red Army from pushing into Galicia.

pmmV1XQZp

Back at home a major humiliation occurs as the French, along with their Belgian lackeys, respond to German failures to keep up with the unreasonable reparation payments by occupying the Ruhr and much of the Rhineland and proceed to take what they believe they are owed by stripping Germany of her natural resources. This is not something we will soon forget.

poewcLeOp

The Government in Berlin were quick to protest against France's unprovoked and illegal actions...

pmYRuNkIp

...However, despite US attempts to help ease reparations payments for Germany, the French Occupation continued. The German protests against this were ignored by the League of Nations, showing the world how powerless the Weimar Government was to protect their own borders. Clearly the League of Nations care more about keeping Germany weak and divided than they do about ending the conflicts that continue to rage across the world as a result of the Great War they forced on Germany and her allies.

plw1slMFp

This debacle only further proves that the Weimar Government is unfit to lead the German nation, if they cannot stop the French from sending armed expeditions into Germany whenever they feel like it then they must be replaced by a stronger government that WILL stand up for Germany and her rights. As constant humiliation and daily political bloodshed threaten to plunge Germany into chaos, nostalgia for the days of the Kaiserreich continues to increase and every failure of the Social Democrats in Berlin will only bring more people to the Royalist Cause.

Certainly a very tough time to lead Germany.

Yep, pretty annoying.
:p

But you get used to having to shift to Paint and stuff like that, haha.
I'm glad to see an Imperial Germany AAR, thought it would be imperial when I saw "Bringing back the army with a State", I couldn't think in anything else than Prussia.
^^

Yeah it doesn't take long to get used to having to switch to paint. Also thanks very much, yeah definitely wanted to do the German Empire first but there's so many other fun and interesting countries to do AAR's for in this mod so they definitely won't be the only nation I'll be playing :)

Certainly a very tough time to lead Germany.

Oh Undoubtedly, and of course it will get worse before it gets better...fun times ahead

Next Chapter will be out in a few hours...might even have more than one chapter released today depending on things, stay tuned :D

Chapter 2 (Mar-Jul 1920)
And now its time for the next chapter, a longer one this time, enjoy!

Chapter 2 (Mar-Jul 1920)
As February turned to March dissatisfaction with the ineffectual Weimar Government was at an all time high, membership for extremist parties on both the right and left increased sharply and the authorities struggled to retain control.

In the East, the Polish continued to carry out successful offensives against Soviet Russia in Ruthenia & Ukraine, by the start of march Polish Troops had occupied Polotsk in the North and the Ukrainian City of Zhytomyr in the South. Minsk was becoming increasingly isolated and Polish Forces were within striking distance of both Kiev & Smolensk, the situation was becoming increasingly dire for the Red Army who remained busy dealing with stubborn resistance by the White Army in the Crimea, Caucasus Region and Siberia.

po5gYf5Mp

Back in Germany, the Anti-Government backlash caused by the French Occupation of the Rhineland led to the resignation of the current Chancellor and his replacement by Hermann Muller...

pmpfqV7up

...Muller was one of the men who willingly signed the Treaty of Versailles in 1919 when he was the Foreign Minister. Undoubtedly such a spineless politician will do little to improve the current situation in Germany. Maybe more drastic action is needed to stop the Social Democrats from destroying Germany further...

pnnjRqopp

...and this drastic action came just two weeks later as an alliance of Right-Wing Nationalists, Royalists and Reactionaries staged a putsch in Berlin with the support of several Freikorps Divisions and some parts of the Reichswehr with the intention of creating a new Government under Wolfgang Kapp. The Putsch was successful and the Weimar traitors were forced to flee Berlin. However, they encouraged the citizenry of Berlin to oppose the Putsch, which they did. The resulting General Strike paralysed the city and led to a collapse of the putsch just a few days later. Kapp and his co-conspirators were forced to flee the country and the Weimar Government was able to return to Berlin as if nothing had happened. This attempt to overthrow the hated Social Democrats may have failed, but it is extremely doubtful that this will be the last such attempt.

pmqUeGn0p

Back in Russia, the Red Army began to make serious progress in the Caucasus, Rostov was occupied in Early April and a few weeks later the short-lived Caucasian Emirate was crushed into submission.

pnIznb2np

Further East, the struggle for control of the Central Asian Steppes continued as the Bolsheviks gained a clear upper hand, defeating the last remnants of the Alash Horde in Late April.

pm1nm0gBp

In the West, the Red Army launched a massive counteroffensive against the Poles, pushing back the Polish Forces attempting to surround Minsk and further south an offensive in Galicia pushed close to the city of Lwow. However, many Polish Divisions remained in Ukraine and while they were cut off they were more than capable of continuing the fight. With the Bolsheviks' seemingly single-minded desire to capture Lwow, they forgot that Kiev was still under threat and that they were themselves in danger of being encircled.

pmjm8KzMp

However, things were much clearer in the Red Army's fight against Wrangel's White Forces further East, by the start of May the Red Army had occupied the Northern regions of the Crimea and continued to make steady gains in the Caucasus. On the 4th the Bolsheviks occupied Baku and this brought an end to the Independence of Azerbaijan. It seems it will only be a matter of time before the entire Caucasus Region is back in Russian hands.

po1bkP3up

Back West, the Red Army Offensive in Ruthenia was halted and a fighting there became a stalemate for a short time but the Poles remained in striking distance of Minsk. Further south the offensive on Lwow failed and a Polish counteroffensive in Mid-May led to a decisive Red Army defeat at the Battle of Rowne, in which the Bolsheviks were crushed between the Polish Forces advancing West from Galicia and the ones still in Ukraine. The Battle was followed by a disorganised Red Army retreat and the Polish Army was able to occupy Kiev not long after. After another successful offensive further north the Polish entered Minsk on the 28th of May. Immediately after this victory, the Polish Government sent the Soviets a peace proposal which Lenin reluctantly accepted, having realised the extent of his armies failures and the effects of the crippling defeat they had suffered at the Battle of Rowne. However, at the time of signing the treaty Lenin was unaware that his forces in Ukraine had reorganised and launched a successful counterattack which surrounded several Polish Divisions in Kiev, if he had known of this it is extremely unlikely he would have agreed to such a humiliating peace treaty...

plGmIQjpp

...The resulting Peace Treaty saw huge gains for Poland as Soviet Russia was forced to cede all of Ruthenia including the cities of Smolensk & Bryansk to Poland. They were also forced to withdraw from all of Ukraine and Crimea which would also be occupied by Polish Forces. The White Forces in the Crimea, which at this point were already on the verge of defeat, decided to cut their losses and evacuate the peninsula instead of risking a war with Poland over it.

poNe6gm5p

Following the Treaty, Poland quickly graned Independence to White Ruthenia, where the Belarusian People's Republic was restored. However, despite being officially Independent the new Byelorussian State was subject to heavy Polish influence.

poAx3MiBp

In the Far East, the White Armies in Siberia neared defeat. The Allied Forces who had intervened on behalf of the Whites saw that their defeat was imminent and began to withdraw. In June the Japanese became the last Allied nation to withdraw their forces from the Russian mainland and also soon handed over North Sakhalin to the Soviets.

poBCGjZ2p

Back in Germany, Early June saw a new Election in the Weimar Republic. The Social Democrats lost many seats due to their clear ineffectiveness in governing the country but they remained the largest party in the Reichstag. A new Government was formed with Constantin Fehrenback of the Zentrum Party becoming the new German Chancellor. To the East the Polish decided to restore the Ukrainian People's Republic which, like Byelorussia, would be under Polish influence. The Ukrainian State was also given control of the Crimea.

plYL2KOip

On the 16th of June the Polish Republic was reformed into a new state known simply as the Intermarium. This state considered itself the successor to the old Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth and existing between the weakened Germany and war-torn Russia this Intermarium has established Hegemony over Eastern Europe. This new state is a clear threat to Germany as it will no doubt seek to regain other territories from Germany which they believe historically belong to them.

plp58jmPp

plejzaGFp

Back in the East, the Far Eastern People's Republic, an ally of the Bolsheviks, was officially absorbed into the Russian SFSR, at the start of July the White Forces in Siberia continue to resist but it is obvious that they will not last much longer.

plv3rtzNp

On the 26th of June the last of Wrangel's Forces in the Caucasus capitulated, the last remnants of the White Russians escaped via Novorossiysk and would emigrate to foreign countries such as Turkey and the Balkan Nations.

pn1LDxWkp

Not long after in Early July the Georgian Republic was crushed by the Red Army and annexed into Soviet Russia. Around the same time Belgium, in a development that surprised Germany, withdrew from the Allies.

pnX1incYp

By the end of July, Germany remains domestically and politically a mess as the chaos caused by the Kapp Putsch continues to affect everyday life. Meanwhile the French continue to occupy the Rhineland while the Weimar Government does little to aid the German people living under this illegal foreign occupation. In the East the so-called Intermarium continues to grow in power following the Polish victory over Soviet Russia, the decisiveness of which shocked the world. Germany remains weak, politically divided and continues to teeter on the verge of anarchy while they are surrounded by increasingly powerful nations who bear a constant hatred and fear of Germany and will undoubtedly seek to annex more German land in an effort to keep them weak. At this time things are looking extremely bleak for the German State.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Author's Note: I kinda feel like I focused too much on goings on in Eastern Europe in this chapter. Although my reasons for doing so were because I believe that these events are very relevant to Germany, especially the Polish-Soviet War which was between two countries who are very likely to be future enemies of Germany so I feel that their fates are important to keep an eye on. Also apart from the Kapp Putsch and the 1920 Elections, there really wasn't anything else that happened in Germany itself here and this part of the playthrough was just a lot of observing for me. It may well stay like this until 1923 when the time comes to restore the Empire, although something may happen over the Silesian Plebiscite in 1921, can't remember if that's different if the Intermarium exists and I'm only about to do that part on my next playthrough so we'll see, but I'm still looking forward to restoring the Empire because the current situation for Germany is already really interesting in this playthrough :)

But let me know what you think, should I focus less on whats happening in foreign wars? Also any General feedback is welcome since this is my first AAR and I hope to get better at writing them over time.

So, that's it for now and in the meantime enjoy the latest chapter of 'Bringing back the Army with a State' and I'll see you for the next chapter, which may be posted this evening we'll see :D

I don't think there is too much focus on Eastern Europe, given how important those developments will doubtless be.

Last time I played PWV the formation of the Intermarium somehow locked me out of being able to pick the imperial path for Germany. May have been fixed or been a one off glitch.

I don't think there is too much focus on Eastern Europe, given how important those developments will doubtless be.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing, thanks for the feedback :)

Last time I played PWV the formation of the Intermarium somehow locked me out of being able to pick the imperial path for Germany. May have been fixed or been a one off glitch.

Hmmm....damn I hope that doesn't happen in this playthrough, don't remember it ever happening to me but then again its been a long while since I played PWV before this. For now I'm gonna stay optimistic about that we'll still get a fun Kaiserreich VS Neo-Commonwealth rivalry in this playthrough haha

Chapter 3 (Aug-Dec 1920)
And now it's time for the latest chapter in this thrilling tale...

Chapter 3 (Aug-Dec 1920)
Looking at the map of Central Europe at the start of August 1920 illustrates Germany's situation and shows how they are surrounded and hopelessly outmatched by nations who are hostile to them.

po6v1riKp

In the Far East, there are some interesting developments as a Russian Cavalry Officer known as Roman von Ungern-Sternberg launches an Invasion of Mongolia in an apparent effort to restore the Mongolian Empire under the rule of the Bogd Khan. The Red Army promptly pursue this mad baron into Mongolia, declaring war on the Khanate.

pla8c12bp

Back in Germany, another Uprising breaks out in Silesia as the regions Poles seek to unify the region with the Intermarium. This is second Post-War Uprising in Silesia after there had been a short-lived conflict the previous year. After a week of fighting the Allies enforce a ceasefire and after negotiations it is decided that Silesia is to remain part of Germany but with increased autonomy and increased influence for ethnic Poles living in the region. This will surely be only a short-lived victory for Germany as the Poles will use their new influence to undermine German authority further and destabilise the region in their attempts to return Silesia to the Intermarium.

plot2iJ0p

By Early September the Red Army have defeated the last of the Anti-Bolshevik Forces in Central Asia as the Khanate of Khiva is defeated and annexed.

pm3UWe8jp

Despite the constant troubles they face, the German people still find ways to forget about the dire reality of their daily lives...at least for a while.

poBSKYFqp

Back East, Mongolia is defeated in Late September after a month of fighting and will be subject to Soviet occupation for the time being. Not long after Baron von Sternberg is captured and later executed by the Red Army.

pnCrjJ4Vp

Meanwhile in Turkey the conflict there continues as the Turks attempt to regain control of their lands. In Late September Turkey declares war on Armenia in order to regain territory that had been ceded to them after the Great War.

pmPSzlqVp

On the other side of Turkey the Greco-Turkish War continues. By now the Turks have gained a clear upper hand in this conflict with the remaining Greek Forces in Anatolia only holding onto small pockets in Smyrna and Antalya.

poKYcfONp

Back in the Far East, the remnants of the Siberian White Army capitulates after their last capital of Chita is occupied in Early October. There is still some Anti-Bolshevik resistance in small parts of Russia but it is only a matter of time before this is mopped up too.

plfQ1FjXp

Not long after the Russian SFSR establishes a Communist Puppet State in Mongolia while also granting Independence to Tannu Tuva. These two nations will remain under heavy Soviet influence.

pmKTFxump

Further West, the Intermarium seeks to bring Lithuania under their rule and launches an Invasion of the small republic to do so.

pny2i14Dp

With the defeat of the last Anti-Bolshevik Resistance, the Russian Civil War comes to an official end on the 11th of October. This conflict, which had raged since the October Revolution in 1917, has brought Russia firmly under the rule of the Bolsheviks and has led to drastic changes in the map of Eastern Europe. With no more internal opposition, who knows where the Soviets will set their sights next.

poCll9sRp

Meanwhile in the Caucasus, Armenia is being crushed by the Soviets Invading from the North and the Turks advancing from the West. Therefore they agree to peace and cede all disputed territories to the Turkish Republic...

poJVdO4Ip

...and just days later the Armenian Republic comes to an end as the Red Army occupy Yerevan and forcefully incorporate Armenia into Soviet Russia.

poFi4ytYp

Meanwhile, after Three Weeks of fighting, the Polish-Lithuanian War comes to an end with Lithuania being defeated and then incorporated into the increasingly powerful Intermarium.

pooMicWWp

Back in Turkey, the Greco-Turkish War comes to an end with Greece being decisively defeated and forced to withdraw all their forces from Anatolia. After this defeat both Britain & France realise the futility in trying to implement the Treaty of Sevres and a new Treaty is signed in Lausanne which sees Britain end their occupation of Constantinople and the French withdraw their forces from Cilicia. This marks an end to the Turkish Wars of Independence with Turkey now unified and at peace.

pncsOgMep

Back in Germany, as political violence continues to be a normal occurrence of daily life in Germany, the Right-Wing NSDAP continues to grow in power, while on the left the German Communist Party (KPD) is formed and seeks to become a force in the Reichstag. Neither of these extremist parties come close to the Social Democrats in popularity but as the dire situation continues this could easily change and either one could easily take Germany down a dark path if they gain control of the Government.

pllE9cWep

Not long after there is good news for Germany as the French Government announces they are soon to end their Occupation of the Rhineland. On the 10th of December the last French Troops withdraw back to their Post-War borders and hand control back over to local German authorities, bringing an end to the 10 month Occupation which was and shall remain a source of national humiliation for Germany.

podtUQdkp

The return of the Rhineland meant that 1920 would end on somewhat of a high note for Germany. However, since the Weimar Republic remains prohibited to station troops west of the Rhine this means that the French can easily occupy the Rhineland again if they so feel like it. At least now the coal of the Ruhr will be used to heat German homes again having spent most of the year being shipped instead to French homes. Soon a new year will begin in Germany but it remains to be seen if 1921 will be an improvement over 1920 or if the situation in Germany will become even worse.

Well things could hardly get ... oh wait, of course they can :D

Well things could hardly get ... oh wait, of course they can :D

Haha yeah, this is Interwar Germany we're talking about...things can ALWAYS get worse

How is production going?

If you mean material production well...not very well, about what you'd expect for Early 1920's Germany haha, you can see the top bar of the last screenshot above for reference. If you meant new unit production...well that's nonexistent what with the 'Interbellum Germany' modifier holding me back :p If you meant something else that should have been obvious then tell me how much of an idiot I am XD