• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
King's Council (a summary of advice from Chapter 18 - December 874)
King's Council (a summary of advice from Chapter 18 - December 874)

Just a short Council report this time, to summarise some very useful advice received, then straight onto the next update, after which there will be another Thing - and perhaps some secret meetings to discuss intrigue and skulduggery (which one wouldn't broach in an open Thing)!

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁ ᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ
Ch18 Q1: Allies. I’ve assumed here that, unlike some other Paradox games, one can’t ‘set objectives’ or make requests for an allied force to head to a particular location. But if there is, any advice on how to do that would be great. If not, even confirming the inability to ‘request’ such action would be useful, as would any other hints or obscure lore on managing allies in war.
Well, actually you can, to a degree. You can indicate which counties allies should siege out (unfortunately, you can't ask them to relieve your captured lands, this isn't EUIV) or tell them which armies or enemies to focus on, or whether they should be defensive or attack. Whether your allies do this or ignore it, or do the exact opposite, is sort of left to the mysteries of the game and the RNG. I have found however that if a kingdom is powerful enough to send a largish army (in comparison to their neighbours) and have decent reserves or quick resupply times, they tend to follow your instructions more carefully i.e. big military powers will do what is required for the war rather than attempt to preserve army numbers and such, because they can easily replace them.
Sometimes though just letting really good AI generals with good martial ability run the war for you is the best strategy. In CKII, it pays to have a slave 'ally' who will crush your opponents for you whilst you stay safe. And yes, I did first start using this strategy when I was playing England. Getting France (or equivalent) to do all your warring for you in Europe really allows you to concentrate in entirely different directions all at once.
Interesting uses and experience. I just needed to find out the specifics - and discovered the reason I couldn't access that option was because I didn't have the relevant DLC yet.
I too have the same question about setting allies objectives. Wasn’t this brought in with a recent dlc?
Indeed it was!

Unfortunately I don't really use allies in single player (and when I do I let them do their thing, if nothing else they can die taking some enemy with them), so I won't be of much help for that.
But others have been - this is the beauty of the CK2 forum hive-mind. :D
Think it arrived at same time as Monks and Mystics-need to try it out as it sounds very handy
Yes, I then checked the CK2 Wiki for that DLC and it laid out how that had been added with M&M - functioning exactly as TBC described.
I have all the DLC and didn't know this existed. It's like Skyrim all over again lol.

Thanks, I must check this out.
I'm thinking it should be discoverable by just clicking around when one has an ally, but the general mechanics are set out on the wiki.
There will be some a.i. devil worshipers yes, but the overall impact SHOULD be low. I know at one point it was a little over the top, but it got patched. Also, if you have supernatural events turned off, that will also limit their power.
The patch toned it back significantly. Pre-patch cults were out of control. IIRC they scaled back both the max size of cults (from several hundred to I believe 99?) and did some other things to make them not quite as game breaking. Now it's barely more than an irritation in player lands; Religious Revocation tends to clear it up right quick. The AI... lacks a certain sense of purity on the other hand.

TL;DR - M&M really isn't that bad anymore. Most of the time I barely notice it is active.
This sounds reassuring. And I've been reading AARs with the latest DLC being used and, while there's the odd reference and event, it doesn't seem to have hijacked too much. I think I will get the M&M - also I noticed it gives you the extra (4th) councillor mission - also useful.
In theory, you could also back up your current save before you install the dlc, in case you decide you don't like the added features (very unlikely, but technically possible).
Will do that. I'll have to copy a save to somewhere else as I've been silly enough to play my first game in Ironman Mode - seemed like a good idea at the time (I like to be forced to live with my mistakes)! ;):oops:

Thanks all for the mini-thread on this: it was certainly very helpful to me and I think to others (commenting here and silent or future readers too, I suspect). This (again) is exactly the kind of little revelation I was hoping the AAR would bring up every so often, so there's something for even experienced players to get back from it as well. And it will even help Paradox do a little more business by it persuading me to buy some more DLC. :)

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁ ᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ
Ch18 Q2: General Comments or Tips. As always, if anything arises (gameplay or narrative) you would like to comment or offer advice on, please do. Even just brief words of noting or encouragement are gold for the humble authAAR (those who write themselves know well what I mean ;) ).
Well in your case I would get an alliance with Hungary and bleed them dry by getting them to help you as often as possible. The reverse, Hungary being declared on, shouldn't matter much to you as it will probably be the Frankish kingdoms (and rebel lords in Germany) attacking Hungary rather than your Baltic and Balkan neighbours. I honestly doubt that kingdom will stay intact, precisely because Germany makes up such a big part of it and the game really, really likes forming Germany as a sovereign nation. It'll either be an internal rebellion or succession or the other kingdoms getting involved but I wouldn't worry too much about Hungary long term. Short term, try to get something out of it.

Also, if you can prevent large build ups of powerful kingdoms in Scandinavia, you'll make your job much easier when you want to inevitably expand there (easy wars for the most part, though rough terrain). The only downside of splitting it all up is that there will be more raiding nations and thus more competition and ruined counties you can't get anything out of.
Interesting. I'll certainly keep an eye on Hungary and might explore some betrothals in a little while, as the children grow past early childhood. The advice re the Scandinavian countries is also salient. If Rus can be secured and a Norse reformation becomes feasible, it will be vital to keep track of such things, I imagine.
Good to see your progress. That Hungary ... an opportunity and a threat all rolled up into one
Thank you and yes, will see what's left of it in a few years.
Deftly played with the prince there O’King! That craven trait can be annoying for sure.
Thank you again - the craven trait (plus a few of Hellgi's other unpleasant characteristics and heathen Slavic religion) make the succession way more problematic than I'd like it to be. But you ain't seen nuthin' yet in that regard! :eek:
For the game, I think you are doing fine, you are on a good way to form Rus, you have many heirs (Even though your eldest son is still not Germanic Pagan, but I believe you can solve that) and even the mistake with the army didn't compromise your war.

And I give that Kingdom of Hungary 20 years top, then it's going to crumble. In fact, I am surprised there is not a huge rebellion yet.
Appreciated. Re Helgi: hmm, there are a few possible 'solution'. I'll be seeking the Thing's (secret session) advice on that shortly, after the next chapter. And Hungary: I'm sure you're right, but during that time it could be useful (and far enough away not to be too direct a threat). Even if trimmed back, it should still be quite strong for a while. Probably. Possibly. ;)

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁ ᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ
To all: once again, great useful feedback and thank you very much for it. It's really nice to have the support of all contributors, whether regular or occasional. But now, I get my pen back in hand for more translation of Gumarich's ancient records into AAR form. :)

Personally I think M&Ms is a bit silly eith all its secret cults and strange religious nonsense. Thus I have it but have the box unchecked

I think user comments about those aspects might have been what prevented me getting it at the time. It wasn’t a money thing. So, my vague understanding is that if you have the dlc but don’t check the box for the in game events, you can still benefit from some of the mechanical improvements (in this case the ally mechanics)? Or does it negate all effects of the dlc? (For any takers ;) )

The relevant boxes to check would have been in the "rules" section when starting your campaign.

However, most of the silliness requires your active participation to occur, generally by you joining societies such as devil worshipers or something ridiculous like that (sadly except for a secret religious group (i.e. if Rurik was Christian but merely presented as Norse, I don't k now the full rules on how stuff like that works), worshiping the dark ones is the only society available to the Norse faith.)

Silly? Of course it's silly! But somewhat based in historical truth as always. There weren't that many cults and religious orders with international pull and membership but there were some (and crucially, people believed there were many and reacted appropriately). To be honest, I think Paradox's original intent was to do several religious orders like the friars and the Dominicans but the Templars and other military (interesting) ones were already in the game as quasi mercenary mini state vassals. These were the orders that had the power and international effect these cults are using.

And to be honest, I liked the goofy satanist cult and built an empire of evil with a wicked witch king as emperor of Byzantium that fought against a vast holy union and alliance led by a seriously badass pope. But everyone has preferences and I'm not going to use them much in the serious AAR games.

Silly? Of course it's silly! But somewhat based in historical truth as always. There weren't that many cults and religious orders with international pull and membership but there were some (and crucially, people believed there were many and reacted appropriately). To be honest, I think Paradox's original intent was to do several religious orders like the friars and the Dominicans but the Templars and other military (interesting) ones were already in the game as quasi mercenary mini state vassals. These were the orders that had the power and international effect these cults are using.

And to be honest, I liked the goofy satanist cult and built an empire of evil with a wicked witch king as emperor of Byzantium that fought against a vast holy union and alliance led by a seriously badass pope. But everyone has preferences and I'm not going to use them much in the serious AAR games.
I agree with this TBC: as long as they give you the option of declining the more goofy/extreme elements, I can see why they have introduced these and others, like a Sunset Invasion etc. It’s a way of keeping a long-standing version of the franchise alive and, for those who may really have played a lot and want something different to do or pile up insane challenges to make things harder. I’m sure it also makes commercial sense as well. Who knows, when it gets to the point where I think I’ve played so much I’m actually getting the hang of it, I might want to play a mad sect dynasty about to be attacked by bloodthirsty Aztecs from one direction and world-conquering Mongol Hordes from another! :D Hmmm, I can feel an idea for a distant future game or even AAR tickling the back of what passes for my mind. ;)

Chapter 19: The Plots Thicken (15 January to 3 March 875)
Chapter 19: The Plots Thicken (15 January to 3 March 875)

Previously, on Blut und Schlacht … murder plots had started to arise within the realm, harmless so far – but what lies in store? Miemo of Chud refuses to yield, despite the odds and the winter snows. Rurik’s ambitions soar even while he fights to expand his realm in the east. The father-son relationship between Rurik and Helgi is complicated – can they find peace and common cause?

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁ ᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

January 875

On 15 January, a nondescript and mediocre lowborn man in his mid-thirties arrived (unbidden) in Nygarðr to join the court. He is craven, with some sinful traits and looking for love! Gumarich made one of his rare personal comments, writing beside the entry marking the arrival “I wish him luck finding love here – it may be sorely needed!” The same day, the fleeing army of Ukko was seen leaving Chud and heading further away in the east. The siege of the Chud stronghold continues.

Lvzncc.jpg

On 27 January, Sverker celebrated the birth of another son with Bodil, named Sölvi. The king hoped for another strong Norse warrior in coming years. By 30 January the enemy had disappeared from sight in Hlynov. Even if they do make a return, they are unlikely to cause any problems to the occupation, which is solid in both of Miemo’s counties, with the assistance of the Smaleskjans in Vologda.

February 875

There is some fight in the besieged Chud garrison after all: they sortie on 1 February. While they do cause some casualties, it is unsuccessful and will shorten their resistance.

2a33VD.jpg

The Chud army resurfaces on 14 February, but the bold Smaleskjans waste no time and move to attack them!

11Dyun.jpg

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁ ᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

Trouble at Home

While the siege of Chud continues and the Smaleskjans seek to intercept the enemy, alarming news arrives by fast messenger from Nygarðr. An attempt has been made on Prince Helgi’s life! It has failed, but the plot continues and the repercussions will be long-lasting. Further, it leaves the King a diabolical quandary. Let us first read a summary of the plot as sent by the Chancellor, Hrörekr.

1q4ThG.jpg

So, Rurik’s own wife and Spymaster, still off in Constantinople but with a wide network back at home, cannot be relied upon to foil this plot: she is the ringleader! Against his son, heir and Marshal! She is not close by to be able to question, but some deductions can be made about why she may have made this attempt and wishes to see it through. But first, let us delve into the plotters who back her. Yes, the Steward Alfgeir is one! Even more division in the Council. And Dan, the commander he personally promoted and took on the long raid of Britannia. Currently commanding a wing of the army with him in Chud! Helgi seems not to be aware of their complicity as yet, but has received information that in his mind incontrovertibly implicates Queen Ingjerðr. What a mess! Hrörekr’s advises that, so far, only he and now the King (and presumably Ingjerðr herself) know of the involvement of the other two men in this plot.

First, Rurik must decide whether to confront Dan about it or keep quiet for now and assess developments. And similarly with Alfgeir, when the King returns to the keep in Nygarðr at the end of the war – which should be very soon. But this infamy has now at the least soured his personal view of the Queen. But she is pregnant, with their fifth child! What is he to do about her? Hröreckr advises he has just cause to arrest her for this. He would have to order men to travel secretly to Constantinople and arrest her there. She could slip away. And Ingjerðr still, by the Chancellor’s account, had an undiminished regard for her husband. What to do?

6aFUYF.jpg

An artist's rendition of the scene where Helgi presented the head of his would-be murderer to Chancellor Hrörekr in Luki: it was separated once he had delivered a confession of the Queen’s involvement. Helgi may be craven, but he can fight, especially when cornered!

Rurik thought on this. Without Ingjerðr anywhere near to question in person, what were her likely motivations? He knew she had a mildly negative opinion of Helgi, but not extremely so. Like Rurik himself, she disapproved of his craven nature. Mainly, she resented his adherence to the Slavic gods (though less so than Rurik himself, since he became a zealot for the Norse Faith). There just wasn’t that much to sway her in Helgi's favour. No, it must be linked to him being heir to the realm, to the disadvantage of her own children, who could well be imperilled by Helgi’s ascendancy and would certainly be rivals. This was actually a logical point from her perspective and would not have escaped the notice of a practiced spymaster like the Queen. This, and the animus others had for Helgi, must have been what allowed her to persuade them to join the plot: the idea of a craven, wroth, cruel and proud heathen inheriting the realm would surely offend more people than just the Queen. It had been a long-running issue for Rurik himself.

2SqZTR.jpg

But Rurik, despite the many problems he had with Helgi, simply could not escape the fact he was his child – something that was not there for the Queen. And if he considered things honestly, had it not been for that fact, his opinion of his son would be even more scornful than hers. Rurik also had to consider his four (soon to be five) legitimate children with Ingjerðr, the future of the realm and of his dream of a new Rus kingdom leading a quest to secure the Holy Sites of the Norse Faith and reform it, while confirming the faith in the newly conquered lands. There was a good chance this whole enterprise would fail if left largely in the hands of an unconverted heathen son. But then, a son who still held his father in very high esteem. That Helgi was his son meant he simply could not, for reasons of honour and affection, join such a plot. But what should he do about it?

And what of Helgi himself? The Chancellor confirmed he was indeed convinced Ingjerðr was behind the attempted murder. This would be enough poison his view of her for decades – hardly surprising. Interestingly, Hrörekr reports Helgi’s wife, Jorunn Flatnefr, doesn’t think too much of Helgi either: again, it is the issue of religion. But despite that, it turns out that she is pregnant too! After eight years of trying – with both of them respectively having ambitions for a son or a daughter – a possible new heir to Helgi could be born soon! It could even be that the pregnancy may have spurred Ingjerðr to action, realising that Helgi may produce a son after all, making it even more likely that her own sons by Rurik would be removed in the realm’s pecking order. Rurik poses himself a question in his own mind: Are there any more complications to throw into this situation?

t5xS2K.jpg

Rurik has plenty to think about, but decides not to blunder into a rash action. He will not attempt to imprison the Queen – yet, anyway. He won’t even issue an order for her (or her co-conspirators) to cease the plot until he has had a chance to consider all the implications. He cannot join it, but that hard, merciless part of his mind (which is quite a large part, if the historical record is accurate) mulls over the dangerous thought: perhaps I could let it run and see if it succeeds – it could be a gift from the Gods in disguise. He then found himself thinking (or so his secret diary confides): no, that must be the Great Trickster, Loki, speaking. But then, he is no less a God than any of the others – his advice too can have its place. A quandary indeed. He decides to put the whole imbroglio off until the war is won, he is back in Nygarðr, and all the angles can be considered. Family!? Bah!

Ch19 Q1: To stop, or not to stop? To stop the plot, or not to stop it? That is the question. Whether it is nobler in the mind to ignore the daggers and poisons of outrageous intrigue; or to imprison the Queen or at least take action against a sea of plotting, and by opposing end it. Ay, there’s the rub! For who would bear the whips and scorns of time, the assassin’s wrong, the proud man’s contumely, the pangs of despised love, the law’s delay and the insolence of office? And thus, the native hue of resolution is sicklied over with the pale cast of thought, and King Rurik loses the name of action: Soft you now - fair Ingjerðr in Constantinople does reside. Queen and Wife, in your prayers be all my sins remembered! [With apologies to The Bard.]

Or, more briefly: Oh, what a mess – what should Rurik do, do you think?

PS: I will declare my devilish first thoughts up front: cry havoc and let slip the dogs of intrigue! Perhaps just let it run and try to ignore it as Rurik, staying above it or away in the field conquering. This could be tricky in a narrative sense, but I can slip and wriggle around that.

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁ ᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

March 875 - Back to the War (Briefly)

A couple of weeks after the dastardly doings of February, the keep of Chud surrenders on 3 March. The subjugation war (which has been characterised as a claim to complete the Jarldom of Belo Ozero) is over. There was only one field battle: that of Yamsky Gorodok, won by Smaleskjan regiment. The rest of the victories were the two sieges. Just four days before another battle would have been fought against Miemo’s troops. This is good, as it will prevent further bloodshed of what are now going to be a ‘loyal’ vassal’s troops!

sVcHRL.jpg

The terms of the victory are spelled out: Miemo (now simply the Chief of Vologda) has no choice but to bend the knee. Naturally, the animus generated by this will last a long time and cannot be easily helped.

EY4RZu.jpg

One of Miemo’s courtiers recorded him as saying: “If I live for a hundred years more, I will never forgive this truly ‘petty’ King and Usurper!” He is also likely to have wished for his humours to rot in his living body (a popular curse of the time). But if this was so, it is lost to the mists of time.

gVjqPR.jpg

Miemo ‘bends the knee’ to Rurik in the capital Nygarðr, on 3 March 875 CE. One can only imagine what the reduced former High Chief may have been muttering under his breath at this point. As far as Rurik is concerned, he can like it or lose his head.

After taking careful advice and checking for any warning messages from his officers, Rurik dismissed his levies and those of Godi þorolfr, within the realm’s newest provinces! All seems well.

guzi1D.jpg

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁ ᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

The next chapter will run straight on from this one and the questions all grouped together at the end of that, mainly for reasons of length and manageability. A Great Thing will be convened after Chapter 20 is posted.

Last edited:
Chapter 20: A Council of War or a Council at War? (3 March 875)
Chapter 20: A Council of War or a Council at War? (3 March 875)

Previously, on Blut und Schlacht … Former High Chief Miemo of Chud has been forced to bend the knee and is a very unhappy and bitter vassal of the King of Holmgarðr. Rurik now holds the Jarldom of Belo Ozero, created automatically on the subjugation of Chud and the loss by Miemo of the county of Chud as well as his High Chiefdom. The issue of the (alleged) conspiracy by Queen Ingjerðr to murder Helgi and clear the way for her own sons to inherit in full remains unresolved, with no action taken as yet. Yet among all the fraught news, hearts yearn for companionship and the bliss (!?) of wedded life!

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁ ᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

The Council Meets

As Gumarich der Schreiber had (literally) 'described' it, a particularly significant Council meeting occurred in Nygarðr, straight after then war had ended. Rurik had rushed home ahead of his remaining troops, leaving Sverker and Dan in charge of his personal regiment, the levies already having been (safely, this time) dismissed.

Having hurried back to the capital, Rurik convened his Council on the same day: Hrörekr was briefly summoned from his mission in Luki and Alfgeir from Ladoga, where the Steward had been idling away since supervising construction works last year. Rurik had been preoccupied with the war and had forgotten to issue him new orders in December. And probably trying to skulk there so he wouldn’t be implicated in the plot, thought Rurik to himself. Helgi and Godi þorolfr were already present. Only Ingjerðr, as Spymaster, was absent, in far Constantinople. Just as well really. Things would be tense enough already!

Before speaking, Rurik looks around at his assembled Councillors. He tries to gauge how each might perceive each other as he thinks on his own observations over the years the Council has been together – unchanged – since his founding of Holmgarðr eight years before. He knows all the other members have religious differences with Helgi, while some also find aspects of his personal nature and behaviour distasteful as well. Looking around the table, and knowing the Queen’s opinion, it seems none of the other Councillors much like Helgi.

D5Knlt.jpg

But importantly, it was clear from the disposition of Helgi that he has no inkling of Steward Alfgeir’s involvement in the plot. Hrörekr does of course, having received Helgi's accusation (in very graphic form) and reported on it to the King. He had advised the King, as Chancellor and Lawspeaker, of his rights and options in the matter by law. But Hrörekr is an urbane character and gives no indication of anything being untoward. If Alfgeir is aware anyone else knows of his involvement, he gives no indication of it: his deceitful and envious nature – and the many barbs he must put up with because of his stature – mean he is quite a smooth and unreadable operator himself.

Thinking on it, of his entire court (which is of course of the Norse faith), the only people with a positive opinion of Helgi are Rurik himself and his young children – Helgi’s half-brothers and -sisters (and they only just). Only close, blood family ties can dispel the antipathy everyone else feels for him. Though some of the other Slavic vassal chiefs may think a bit better of him – for obvious reasons. This is a sad fact for Rurik to have to confront – and a sobering one concerning the future of the realm.

x9Olvj.jpg

He stirs himself from this contemplation and reverie to move to business. He hopes to steer things clear of any discussion of the conspiracy in the Council itself. He needs to talk to Helgi privately about this: Helgi has not yet had the opportunity to do so. But Rurik can see the barely restrained tension and agitation in his son – mixed with a deal of furtive fear. No doubt wondering where the next blow will come from or whether the next drink he takes will be laced with poison.

“Steward Alfgeir,” began Rurik. “Something about you has come to my attention.” This provokes an almost imperceptible start in the dwarf and a slight darting of his eyes to Helgi. Though only the King – who is scrutinising him closely and sternly – notices. The Chancellor remains impassive.

“You have been idling away these last months in Ladoga, when I should have had you promoting Norse culture here in Holmgarðr.” Alfgeir relaxes again. “You are to start that immediately.”

“Yes, of course My Konungr, I will start straight away.”

2Sl4ud.jpg

“That you shall! Next, we will examine the state of the realm following our recent just and glorious victory over Chud. Chancellor!”

“My liege, I am pleased to advise that the new Jarldom of Belo Ozero has been established as a result of your great conquest, with you its Jarl. Here is a map of its component counties and, by tribal law, the line of succession after you. Under our Gavelkind succession laws, your second son, young Prince Elif becomes heir to this title.”

BOR3Xj.jpg

“Very well then. What does this mean for the number of holdings I can possess directly before by dear vassals begin to get agitated? I had thought I had already reached that limit – six. Now that I have also assumed direct control of the county of Chud as a result of the settlement, does that mean I must discard one to placate my Chiefs?”

“My liege, this works out very conveniently,” Hrörekr continued. “Indeed, at first blush, this was so. But almost immediately, they came to appreciate that your new status as a Great Duke bestowed more esteem and honour on your position, thus allowing them to happily tolerate the expansion of your demesne to seven holdings, without deleterious effect on taxation, recruitment or opinion. It is not an issue now, but that same status would now allow you to command the loyalty of up to 22 vassals without ill-feeling among the lords of the realm.”

xZuecy.jpg

“Very well, that is good news. I have also noticed that Royal Prestige has grown again, if the reception I have received back home is anything to go by. My personal levies are growing slowly but steadily – thank you, my son, for your stout efforts in that regard – but our treasury is still quite low.”

“Indeed, My Konungr,” opines Alfgeir. “I would like to see that amount greatly increased, whether for building projects or a reserve for hiring men-at-arms in extremis.”

“I know, Alfgeir, and would dearly love to raid again in rich foreign lands, but I cannot erase the Dream of Rus from my mind. You know I am always in a hurry – idleness is a slow death for any man who longs for blood and battle!”

Rurik looked around at Helgi and saw he was beginning to chafe at the bit. I will divert the conversation, so he doesn’t come out with something he will regret later. “But, before we turn to that, I want to talk about the seeking of knowledge. Helgi, I hear your efforts to bring our military practices up to date have produced some fine results!”

“Ah, yes father,” the Prince-Marshal says as he tries to gather his thoughts. “We have made progress in the final two areas we must master before we can take all our study to another level. We have left these last two until now because they have not been a priority for us to date. While we cannot yet raise cavalry ourselves, if we hire any, perhaps some increased expertise in their handling may be of use. And better knowledge of shipbuilding is of itself very useful for a raiding nation. Our main problem for now is that Ingria is our only coastal province. I doubt you will be keen to build shipyards for Nuyanza, but the opportunity make come to create a shipbuilding centre, which may aid in creating raiding fleets. It will now take us some time to attain a discipline on the next level of military leaning.”

YT3f2W.jpg

Ch20 Q1: Shipbuilding. So, were I to build a shipyard in Ingria, would it start to produce ships for Nuyanza, that would then form a fleet levy? That, because this is a tribal realm, he would not be obliged to supply if I called on them? I guess I will want to secure a demesne coastal county if I want to do much in that regard. Also, is there any naval combat in CK2? Or do they simply transport troops around? I can’t recall any specific naval combat in ‘ordinary’ CK2 AARs I’ve read. I’ve seen reference to ship raiding in an AGOT AAR (thanks Rufy_King), but without any mechanics of ship-ship combat being mentioned. Any obvious stuff I may be missing on the naval side would be of interest.
“Very good, son. Let us proceed at once with those disciplines and set our eye on the more advanced study in our key areas of interest. Steward Alfgeir, what can you offer us on the development of our buildings and the production of wealth? I want the realm to gradually take it place as one of the great kingdoms of the world. We will fight and raid, but must also build for the future.”

“My Konungr, we have four choices before us. They are listed in this document I have produced to explain them and the benefits each would bring. Gumarich, would you please pass them to the Council? members”

QfayOh.jpg

“I see, the choices are varied and complex for a poor warrior such as me. Do you advice for me Alfgeir?”

“While I am attracted to the constant improvement of our town building, the Godi may wish for better facilities at Tikhvin, while the Prince-Marshal may, I am sure, wish to improve our defensive abilities." He looks around the table, wondering whether his spiteful little barb aimed at the Prince had hit any marks. "These matters are beyond our experience in Holmgarðr – perhaps learned people from our populace and beyond could provide words of wisdom on this matter, as we can only select one of these four disciplines for now?”

“Yes, that would be a fine question to direct towards the next Thing, Lord Steward." The Chancellor turns to his King. "With your permission My Liege, I will see to it.” Rurik nods his assent.

Ch20 Q2: Economic Advances. Any views on which of these areas would be best to focus on next would be most welcome. There are bound to be some conditional requirements to make some of the benefits workable, while others may be more suitable for a young and expanding tribal realm.

And before Helgi could draw breath for an interjection, Rurik looks to a large map on a table at the side of the hall and has the council members gather around it.

“Helgi, I will be wanting your advice on the following matters in particular, so let us focus now on the Dream of Rus.”

HfB23T.jpg

This map shows the de jure Rus claim and those counties yet to be brought into the fold as at 3 March 875 CE.

“Helgi, tell me first of Merya.”

“Father, a more substantive realm than we have fought so far. We estimate their levy strength to be almost exactly the same as we have available ourselves now. High Chief Tyueykezhut is a competent military leader. Hrörekr can speak to the other aspects.”

“Yes My Liege, their reserves of gold, prestige and piety are small and present no threat. The Finn Tyueykezhut only has pacts with his own vassals and his wife – no external alliances to be concerned about.”

9r420J.jpg

"A feasible target then, but we would want to either rebuild our levy base or call on tribal army of conquest to get a comfortable advantage over them.” Rurik then points to the next map. “Let us look again at Tver, more closely this time.”

“High Chief Zhavoronok can only muster around 1,050 levies, giving us a slight numerical advantage over him. And he is no great general himself. While he has no foreign defensive pacts protecting him that we can see, he is the member of a defensive pact opposing King Arpád of Hungary.”

XDo1lm.jpg

“My thanks Helgi. Hrörekr, can you confirm this would not oblige his fellow pact members to intervene against us? And what of his other resources?”

“I do not believe they would be so obliged My Liege, but will endeavour to confirm that at the Thing from the learned gathered there.

Ch20 Q3: Alliances. I will check the ‘defensive pagan’ characteristic for Tver to see if they too can summon a pious horde, as Pskov did – I suspect they can. But have a read the alliance mechanism right re the anti-Hungary pact? An attack by Rurik would not trigger it, is my assumption.

"As for other sources of troops, he has neither the money or prestige for that. But his piety to the heathen Slavic Gods may allow him to summon a horde of holy warriors, as occurred with Pskov. I will check that.”

At the reference to ‘heathen Slavic Gods’, Helgi can restrain his anger no longer, though its target is at least directed away from the assassination. Rurik inwardly groans, though maybe this change of direction will allow things to be diverted. Helgi stands and begins shouting angrily at the Chancellor.

“You would do well to watch your words Hrörekr, most people in this land follow them too. As do I – you would keep a civil tongue about this subject when I am king!” In his anger, he utters words that do him no good in this gathering and undermine his standing.

hdC1vi.jpg

Fingers are pointed and accusations made in the Council Room.

The Godi gestures towards the King with an open and upturned palm and says, in a controlled but angry voice, “Your King and Father yet lives hale and hearty and may Odin grant he long does so. He devoutly worships the true Norse Gods – as should you!
Rurik himself tries to maintain a just and magisterial bearing. Alfgeir has said nothing as yet on this matter, but is clearly straining to do so.

Before it can go any further, Rurik rises and proclaims, in a firm but low voice. “Silence, all of you!” He eyes each of the Councillors in turn, who are all abashed. They make various apologies to him in low voices, with the three Norse members ostentatiously refusing to look in Helgi's direction while he continues to glare at each of them.

“We will continue the business of this meeting and you will all maintain a proper bearing and respect for this body and my crown. I will not degrade any of you proud lords for holding your beliefs by forcing you to apologise against your wills."

Rurik turns to the Chancellor first. "Hrörekr, I know you meant no personal disrespect for the Prince-Marshal and were voicing what comes naturally to you. But in this Council at least, while the Prince is present, perhaps we can tone down our natural religious fervour out of mutual respect for all present.” The Chancellor bows his head in respectful acquiescence.

Rurik then looks kindly at the Godi. “þorolfr, you know there is no more zealous follower of the True Gods than I. I thank you for defending them and me, but as you observe I am hale and hearty yet and will fight my own fights, if I find any, and try to find the wisdom of Odin when Thor’s hammer is not required.” The Godi nods and smiles, visibly relaxing.

The King then turns to Helgi. “Finally, son, you know my views on matters of religion. We will discuss this – and other matters that have come to my attention – in private. I know you meant no insult or disrespect to me, but you must remember to maintain your calm and your judgement, especially in Council. You have had grave provocation of late outside this place. I understand that and the effect it can have and so demand no apology. Just a princely disposition and a calm head while we discuss serious issues of state.”

Helgi nods stiffly. While he resents the situation, he esteems his father very highly and realises he has let his anger compromise his standing with all present. Though this does not stop him contemplating cruel fantasies of head-lopping and dismemberment, he actually fears the consequences that his pride and anger can lead to. Despite his other faults, he is no fool.

The Councillors all resume their positions around the map table and make a play of stately detachment. Rurik believes he has managed to turn the outburst to his advantage. He will try to wrap the meeting up and then arrange a later meeting with Helgi in private, to chart a way ahead and see if he can keep his family together and the realm united.

“So, Tver we will consider again later. I do like it as a target. We can get at it without having to attack across the Volga. And even if they can amass a religious levy, we could match that with a tribal one of our own and still hope to maintain some advantage. But I would now like to take a quick look at Mari. While the young High Chief commands four counties in all, only one – Galich Mersky – is part of the Rus claim. It now borders our realm since the victory over Chud. Perhaps we could quickly step in and conquer it – without the complications of subjugation and taking on more distant lands we don’t need for now. Your thoughts, my Councillors?”

7VBGA6.jpg

“Father,” begins Helgi, much subdued now, if not happy. “High Chief Tutyra is not yet of age and his levy is small. He is no great general himself yet, but may have such at his command. An attack from Vologda would be tactically easy, with no river crossing. And attacking Mari first would allow time for the rest of our levy to replenish and for me to advance my training efforts in that cause. I will let the Chancellor talk to the rest.” He says this last while studiously avoid any glance in Hrörekr’s direction.

“My Liege,” offers the Chancellor, addressing the King directly and himself ignoring Helgi. “Our information is that his only pacts are with his own tribal vassals, so he may attract some support from them – as we might from ours, or at least the trusty men of Smaleskja. Tutyra's piety would not be enough to raise a religious host, even were he to have that option available, and he has no more coin than us to hand. But he has inherited much prestige from his father. The possibility of him raising a tribal horde for conquest – to use against us in some kind of counter-claim – would need to be investigated.”

“Then do so. Perhaps another question you could refer to the Thing.”

Ch20 Q4: Tribal Armies. Does it sound plausible that the young High Chief of Mari could call on a tribal horde under these circumstances? Or is there some mechanic that prevents him doing so in response to a war of claim, as opposed to him launching one himself? I can of course find out by experiment and counteract it with my own call, but it would be useful to have some indications in advance.

“Then that concludes the formal part of our proceedings today,” announces the King, with some reasonably well-concealed relief. His very highly developed powers of persuasion and diplomacy [personal 21, 37 State diplomacy score] have come to the fore – a useful complement to his even greater skills on the battlefield. “We will convene again to decide the way forward after the next Thing, which I will proclaim as a Great Thing.”

After a short pause and just as the Council members begin to rise from their chairs, he holds up his hand and smiles warmly. “But before we disperse, I wish to finish today’s gathering on a happy note and see us all depart with good humour.”

“Hrörekr, it has come to my attention that you are ambitious for marriage and I warmly welcome the opportunity for you to advance our Norse cause.” Helgi fidgets impatiently at this, but holds his peace.

Xmkgwk.jpg

“I have found a good Norse girl for you to wed, one Aslaug af Smaleskja, who has been residing here at Nygarðr and has accepted my offer to join the court. You may celebrate your wedding this very night and return to your mission in Luki after the gathering of the Great Thing tomorrow with a new bride!”

sL165O.jpg

As Hrörekr is lowborn, it will need to be a matrilineal marriage. She may be gluttonous and cynical, but Hrörekr might appreciate her diligence, while her lustful appetites and Midas touch will improve the chances of children being produced. The Chancellor is not old, but his years do advance. [I didn’t get an arrival at court screenshot for Aslaug, but she arrived at the same time as Beata, who you will meet next.]

“Why thank you My Liege, this is a great honour and I am most humbly grateful for the time you have taken from your great labours make this arrangement for me.” He is truly touched by the thought the King has put into his welfare and warms even further in his opinion of his liege, as he quaintly insists on calling him.

“And my good Steward, the tragic death of Edla has left you without a wife, and your young daughter without a mother.” The King restrains his own grief here to that appropriate for a king regarding the wife of a councillor. Alfgeir appears never to have learned of the affair the King had conducted with his wife. Nor to care greatly that she had died, for that matter. “I have also arranged a match for you. I hope young Beata, a good Norse lass from our newly acquired lands of Vologda, will suit you well.”

Cwnc1e.jpg

The King’s words are meant with both verity and some irony. Beata’s stutter can perhaps balance Alfgeir’s dwarfism. His lack of any personal tact will either harmonise or strike sparks with Alfgeirs’s similar traits. But her Midas Touch and greed give her a very high stewardship ability. Her lustful nature and shared zealotry for the True Norse Gods may also assist the relationship. Alfgeir will just have to put up with her stubbornness. At some point in the future we will check to see how both new relationships are progressing.

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁ ᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

So ends a long, important and at times tumultuous Council meeting. The evening is taken up with a great celebration of the recent victory over Chud and of two weddings. Rurik tells his son that tonight is no time for the serious discussion they must have, but that it will be had soon, when the events of the day can be put into perspective and after the Great Thing has been concluded on the morrow, with the issues facing the future of the realm can be decided. The King advises his still tense son that he has been told by the Chancellor of the accusation he has made against the Queen and Spymaster, and that he has written to her in far Constantinople for her explanation of events.

He counsels that while the accusation may be true, it was based of the word of the summarily executed would-be assassin. There was always a chance that an extra level of subterfuge may have been used and there was another behind the plot in truth, seeking to cover themselves by implicating the Queen. Helgi is dubious about this: he is firm in his suspicions and cannot be swayed from them. But in this instance, he has no choice but to accept this interim direction from his father and prepare himself for their meeting the following evening. Another consequence of his outburst in the Council meeting that day is he has lost a potential ally and ‘honest broker’ in this matter in the Chancellor, who has been conducting investigations due to the implication of the King’s Spymaster in the matter.

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁ ᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

The Great Thing would be convened shortly. There were many questions posed and, as always, advice or comment welcomed on everything raised in the recent events of the Rurikid Dynasty. Some of these would significantly influence its future direction, in both the immediate and the long terms.

Questions (Chapters 19 and 20 combined)

Ch19 Q1: To stop, or not to stop? To stop the plot, or not to stop it? That is the question. Whether it is nobler in the mind to ignore the daggers and poisons of outrageous intrigue; to imprison the Queen or simply take action against a sea of plotting, and by opposing end it. Ay, there’s the rub! For who would bear the whips and scorns of time, the assassin’s wrong, the proud man’s contumely, the pangs of despised love, the law’s delay and the insolence of office? And thus, the native hue of resolution is sicklied over with the pale cast of thought, and King Rurik loses the name of action: Soft you now - fair Ingjerðr in Constantinople does reside. Queen and Wife, in your prayers be all my sins remembered! [With apologies to The Bard.]

PS: I will declare my devilish first thoughts up front: cry havoc and let slip the dogs of intrigue! Just let it run and try to ignore it as Rurik, stay above it or away in the field conquering. This could be tricky in a narrative sense, but I can slip and wriggle around that.

Ch20 Q1: Shipbuilding. So, were I to build a shipyard in Ingria, it would start to produce ships for Nuyanza, that would form a fleet levy? That, because this is a tribal realm, he would not be obliged to supply if I called on them? I guess I will want to secure a demesne coastal county if I want to do much in that regard. Also, is there any naval combat in CK2? Or do they simply transport troops around? I can’t recall any specific naval combat in ‘ordinary’ CK2 AARs I’ve read. I’ve seen reference to ship raiding in an AGOT AAR (thanks Rufy_King), but without any specifics of ship-ship combat being mentioned. Any obvious stuff I may be missing on the naval side would be of interest.

Ch20 Q2: Economic Advances. Any views on which of these areas would be best to focus on next would be most welcome. There are bound to be some conditional requirements to make some of the benefits workable, while others may be more suitable for a young and expanding tribal realm.

Ch20 Q3: Alliances. I will check the ‘defensive pagan’ characteristic for Tver to see if they too can summon a pious horde, as Pskov did – I suspect they can. But have a read the alliance mechanism right re the anti-Hungary pact? An attack by Rurik would not trigger it, is my assumption.

Ch20 Q4: Tribal Armies. Does it sound plausible that the young High Chief of Mari could call on a tribal horde under these circumstances? Or is there some mechanic that prevents him doing so in response to a war of claim, as opposed to him launching one himself? I can of course find out by experiment and counteract it with my own call, but it would be useful to have some indications in advance.

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁ ᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

7883mz.jpg

Loki is up to his old tricks again, tormenting the thoughts of King Rurik in the dark watches of the night.

The mischievous Loki has once again been meddling in the affairs of the mortal men and women of Holmgarðr! And the King is at least listening to what he whispers into his mind in the darker hours of the long northern night as he restlessly seeks sleep after the tumultuous events of the day. His long-held doubts about his son compete with the call of blood bonds. The affection of his wife and her understandable – if bloody – motivations for their other children – soon to number five. The future and long-term interests of the realm, his legacy and the Norse Faith in the land of Rus.

A Slavic King ruling over almost exclusively Slavic chiefs in a Slavic land … the eventual outcome can easily be imagined. And the fate of his two fine young Norse sons in particular – perhaps even three after the next child is born. It may be good to be the king, but it is never easy, he muses to himself as he finally drifts off to an exhausted sleep, alone in the chamber he has shared with both Ingjerðr and poor Edla.

Rurik may be too stern for tears, but even someone of his prodigious capabilities and achievements was not immune from sadness, loneliness and uncertainty.

Last edited:
I agree with this TBC: as long as they give you the option of declining the more goofy/extreme elements, I can see why they have introduced these and others, like a Sunset Invasion etc. It’s a way of keeping a long-standing version of the franchise alive and, for those who may really have played a lot and want something different to do or pile up insane challenges to make things harder. I’m sure it also makes commercial sense as well. Who knows, when it gets to the point where I think I’ve played so much I’m actually getting the hang of it, I might want to play a mad sect dynasty about to be attacked by bloodthirsty Aztecs from one direction and world-conquering Mongol Hordes from another! :D Hmmm, I can feel an idea for a distant future game or even AAR tickling the back of what passes for my mind. ;)

Something tells me these were in the aim of making the central empires and kingdoms more fun to play, and a way of smashing whichever powers had coalesced in Iberia, Francia and GB. But playing as a German or Byzantine or African empire now has much more fun and strategy attached if you know there are no real safe borders in your realm and you have to look both East and West and keep tabs on how resistance against the mongols and Aztecs go. Especially the latter because if you can stop them getting a foothold on land then their invasion will stop.

Q1: To stop, or not to stop?

Don't stop them. There is no reason to go out of your way to spare your son and a few reasons why his death might be a good idea, just not enough for you to risk the king getting involved. To be honest, if you do end up controlling him later on, the first things you'll do are convert to the Norse religion and culture anyway so it's not too big of a problem.

Q1: Shipbuilding.

Yes you need to get your own coastal province. In feudal lands, where your personal land is limited, the best bet I see to get two duchies next to each other that have as much coastal land as possible so you can have the biggest navy in your realm belong to you personally. There is no ship to ship combat in CKII (which is BULLSH-angry rant cut off) so literally you just need to focus on numbers. How many troops do you have and how many boats are you going to need to move them? That sort of thing, because it's the fastest way of moving around AND you're a Viking, which means you can sail up rivers, unlike everyone else in the game, giving you huge advantages say, in the Rhine and Danube regions but also in India.

Q2: Economic Advances.

Always grtvimproved keeps First because that's the source of most of your personal income and levy upgrades in individual counties. Then castle and town and so on. Basically get the stuff that helps you first then your vassals.

Q3: Alliances.

Right. There is a pact against Hungary (good) but anyone attacking them or their allies won't trigger it. It's jut wars of aggression declared by Hungary that will trigger them. Everyone else plays as normal in terms of allies and enemies.

Q4: Tribal Armies.

I don't know but I imagine that the kid can't or won't do it, not without risking quite a bit. Prestige keeps tribal lands togetherness and he can't get much as a youth. Burning through his supply might destabilise his realm. Even if he does summon the horde. He might...but so can you. I think if you're wanting to clean and clear The Rus borders then going after small bits of other realms so they don't steal the claim outright from you is a good idea but it's of course not going to net you a source much as getting entire smaller realms within your kingdom to obey.

Ch19 Q1: To stop, or not to stop?

Stop it. As you seem to be role playing I would suggest, no matter what the politics, he is your son and he seems to like you.

Ch20 Q1: Shipbuilding.

I would point out that the future landscape of Rus has a lot of rivers and ships are a great place to withdraw to when larger enemy armies are trying to get you. Armies can't be attacked while on a ship. And no, no naval combat, they are just transportation.

Ch20 Q2: Economic Advances.

Do you own a lot of Towns? I would lean towards Towns UNLESS you have more Keeps. But money is always welcome.

Ch20 Q3: Alliances.

Can't help - I try to stay away from Alliances in my game play - they always call me in and make me do all the work.

Ch20 Q4: Tribal Armies.

Can't help - have played Tribal once and didn't do too well.

Q19.1 I am with @Eurasia here - go with the roleplay option. I think that makes the game more fun, generally.

Q20.2 I don't worry overmuch about the "best", right or wrong as that may be. I figure over time to get them all. Money is always good of course, but troops are very useful too.

Q20.3 Alliances ... well like in EU4 Alliances can very much be a two-edged sword. Sometimes useful, sometimes like a millstone around your neck.

Stop it. As you seem to be role playing I would suggest, no matter what the politics, he is your son and he seems to like you.

Q19.1 I am with @Eurasia here - go with the roleplay option. I think that makes the game more fun, generally.

With the player character as presented so far and all we know about Norse culture, religion and tribal law, I think it would be a coin toss. The ruler is popular enough and his faith is beyond reproach so I think everyone would go along with either one, whatever he decided. As to what he decides...there is nothing stopping you from favouring another son with inheritances if you want, which I think is something he'd do in this situation, where one son is clearly unsuitable for the realm he might rule one day. But I think that would be the choice, favour another son and let him live but diminished in rank (gradually of course) or let them plot and eventually succeed.

Since the percentage is low on the plot power, in game terms I would just leave them be because they probably will not succeed unless some more people get involved. Right now, there's no need to bribe or threaten people out of the plot...unless the success threshold is lower for tribal characters? Don't know. Check that.

Q1. Let it go. Ruriks is a zealous pagan. Family is all good and well, but Valhalla is forever. And his son ain't going there no matter what.

Q20.1. Get coastal provinces ASAP as others have said. Ships are pure transports in CKII.

Q20.2 It makes no difference at this point as you've almost enough points for both towns and keeps. First one, then the other. It won't be more than a couple years if that, barely enough time for an upgrade to finish.

Q20.3. If i'm getting the gist right, a Defensive Pact against Hungary is what's going on here. That only triggers if Hungary attacks a Pact member. Your machinations don't. (Hilariously, they don't view you as a threat!)

Q20.4. If you attack him and he's losing badly he'll burn every ounce of piety and prestige he can in a futile bid to stop you. It goes that way every time in my experience. I've learned to bake tribal armies into my pre-war calculations, it's safer that way.

Overall you're doing well thus far with steady expansion and really only a couple unforced errors. But, that's the best way to learn and become a better player.

Until next episode!

Love the debate in the Great Thing so far re the plot against Helgi: for me it is a close run decision. I am largely role playing, but the learning side is just as important and this my first substantive plot involvement. So from that perspective I’d be interested to see how it might fare if I let it run, but trying to stop a plot carries interest as well. No one seems to be advocating the more extreme option of actually trying to imprison the Queen - not that I’m surprised at that.

Please feel free to offer your views if you haven’t already, or to continue the discussion if you have and feel like following up. It’s all appreciated :)

Ch19 Q1: To stop, or not to stop? To stop the plot, or not to stop it? That is the question. Whether it is nobler in the mind to ignore the daggers and poisons of outrageous intrigue; to imprison the Queen or simply take action against a sea of plotting, and by opposing end it. Ay, there’s the rub! For who would bear the whips and scorns of time, the assassin’s wrong, the proud man’s contumely, the pangs of despised love, the law’s delay and the insolence of office? And thus, the native hue of resolution is sicklied over with the pale cast of thought, and King Rurik loses the name of action: Soft you now - fair Ingjerðr in Constantinople does reside. Queen and Wife, in your prayers be all my sins remembered! [With apologies to The Bard.]

PS: I will declare my devilish first thoughts up front: cry havoc and let slip the dogs of intrigue! Just let it run and try to ignore it as Rurik, stay above it or away in the field conquering. This could be tricky in a narrative sense, but I can slip and wriggle around that.
Well, this is peculiar. I admit that in the post I was challenged with the same question: to let a plot kill my elder, muslim converted son - I don't remember how that happened honestly -, and let my second, good commander, catholic son get his place or to stop it and probably see the empire fall. I was cruel AND zelous, so let them kill I said, and the heathen was dispatched ;) In your case, it boils down to wether or not you want to really get rid of him once and for all.

Ch20 Q1: Shipbuilding. So, were I to build a shipyard in Ingria, it would start to produce ships for Nuyanza, that would form a fleet levy? That, because this is a tribal realm, he would not be obliged to supply if I called on them? I guess I will want to secure a demesne coastal county if I want to do much in that regard. Also, is there any naval combat in CK2? Or do they simply transport troops around? I can’t recall any specific naval combat in ‘ordinary’ CK2 AARs I’ve read. I’ve seen reference to ship raiding in an AGOT AAR (thanks Rufy_King), but without any specifics of ship-ship combat being mentioned. Any obvious stuff I may be missing on the naval side would be of interest.
Yes, Nuyanza would be the one to gain from the shipyard. If you were to build a tribe on the coast, and then there a shipyard, I guess theoretically you would be the holder of it... but that's quite costly for a few more ships. If you want more ships the safest bet is conquer a new coast.
As for ship fighting... let's just say that's one of the few things people ask from the beginning and they never added - it may even be the only one now that I think about it...

Well, if you want ships, you should go for the Trade Practices. Otherwise I suggest Castle Infrastructures.

The Defensive Pact is a sort of check to avoid indiscriminate blobbing, therefore it only works against the target that blobbed too much (in this case, Hungary). You shouldn't get one against you for a while, but eventually, as you grow, smaller lords will form one against you, I am sure of that. I have never been the biggest fan of this mechanic, because it's hard for me to overlook the fact that if you blob enough you get an intercultural, interreligious defensive pact that spans from Western Europe to the Middle East, which is pretty antihistoric. While I admit it can make the game challenging, and sometimes I keep it active, I tend more to deactivate it.
Anyway, to sum it up, don't worry, it's not for you, it's for Hungary.

I... don't think he would. He probably can, but it's hard to imagine the AI to burn his own stock of prestige.

Clarification on Chapter 20 question 4.

Prestige can be spent on a Tribal Army by any tribal chieftain at any time while they are at war. Attacker or defender is irrelevant. This is an ability of all tribes regardless of religion.

Defensive Pagans spending piety for men is a religious bonus available exclusively to those religions and can only be summoned when attacked.

I suddenly realized I misread the question. He'll not attack you in a counter-claim because he doesn't need to. Tribal Armies can be raised on defense right alongside devout armies.

Uneasy lies the head that wears a crown...

The decision about his son must be tearing him up. Shame there isn’t an option to threaten your son with the plot to get him to convert eh?

Others have answered on the tactical stuff. Strategically it makes sense to let the plot play out. If he dies it won’t have been by the king’s Hand and the queen can hardly be blamed for protecting the interests of her son’s...

Still working my way through the story slowly but surely, but thought I might chime in again with a few tidbits of interest.

WkS3zY.jpg

[As an allied-run battle there was no access to the usual screens, but this ‘battle mini-map’ compilation will do! The figures at the bottom were the strengths and destinations at the end of the battle. We can see Barid lost 35 and Into of Chud 74. The war score moves up to 15% as a result.]

Do you notice the little colored orbs above and below the crossed swords there? Those correspond to the flanks of the attacking (top) and defending (bottom) armies, just as they would on the full-sized battle pop-up. While it's certainly not as detailed and you rarely need to know that much detail if you'e not directly involved, it can give you a rough idea of how the battle might be going when combined with a close eye on the army sizes; useful for gauging whether or not it's worth it to commit an extra levy of your own, should you need to.

By 28 November, all three armies are in motion. Into of Chud has been replaced as commander by Ukko and they seem to be bleeding casualties as they flee, having lost another 30 men since fleeing from Torzhok on 10 November. Either that, or some minor levy has broken away. If they keep heading towards Chud they may be in for a nasty reception, as Rurik will make it there before them, while Barid pursues them into Belo Ozero.

ItQKUe.jpg

On this one, those casualties are almost certainly from attrition, as indicated by the skull next to the "rout" flag below the morale gauge. I believe if you hover over it, you can actually get info on the rate of attrition and the factors causing it.

Again, hope this helps!

Will answer briefly now (before the Thing) as these are interesting ‘extra bits’! :D
Still working my way through the story slowly but surely, but thought I might chime in again with a few tidbits of interest.
Thanks so much for the patronage! Please feel welcome to chime in with anything from previous episodes that you think might add to advice provided already. Or even just commentary on the story elements (because I pose the specific questions and it is in one aspect a learning AAR, I not surprisingly tend to get fewer comments of that type compared to my other primary AAR, but they too are welcome).
Do you notice the little colored orbs above and below the crossed swords there? Those correspond to the flanks of the attacking (top) and defending (bottom) armies, just as they would on the full-sized battle pop-up. While it's certainly not as detailed and you rarely need to know that much detail if you'e not directly involved, it can give you a rough idea of how the battle might be going when combined with a close eye on the army sizes; useful for gauging whether or not it's worth it to commit an extra levy of your own, should you need to.
I hadn’t noticed them at all - thanks for pointing that out! Very neat :cool:
On this one, those casualties are almost certainly from attrition, as indicated by the skull next to the "rout" flag below the morale gauge. I believe if you hover over it, you can actually get info on the rate of attrition and the factors causing it.
Again, thanks. Next time I see one I’ll try the mouse-over :)

Again, hope this helps!
It does, very much! :D

Yeah, from a gameplay perspective, definitely let it happen. From an RP perspective, it's rough.

Ch20 Q1: Shipbuilding.
So, were I to build a shipyard in Ingria, it would start to produce ships for Nuyanza, that would form a fleet levy? That, because this is a tribal realm, he would not be obliged to supply if I called on them? I guess I will want to secure a demesne coastal county if I want to do much in that regard. Also, is there any naval combat in CK2? Or do they simply transport troops around? I can’t recall any specific naval combat in ‘ordinary’ CK2 AARs I’ve read. I’ve seen reference to ship raiding in an AGOT AAR (thanks Rufy_King), but without any specifics of ship-ship combat being mentioned. Any obvious stuff I may be missing on the naval side would be of interest.

I'm usually playing in the Mediterranean, and from a perspective of troop transport vassal coastal counties seem sufficient to move my troops. For that matter, it's the cities in the counties that seem to really provide ships. For a norse tribal character, that may be different. And as the others have mentioned, there's no naval combat.

Ch20 Q2: Economic Advances.
Any views on which of these areas would be best to focus on next would be most welcome. There are bound to be some conditional requirements to make some of the benefits workable, while others may be more suitable for a young and expanding tribal realm.

Do you have the techs to get your tribal holdings all the max buildings? Make sure of that. Past that point, I'd go for keeps, unless you think you might try to go merchant republic (which, if you do, you'll need your primary holding to be on the coast to avoid an instant game over).

Ch20 Q3: Alliances.
I will check the ‘defensive pagan’ characteristic for Tver to see if they too can summon a pious horde, as Pskov did – I suspect they can. But have a read the alliance mechanism right re the anti-Hungary pact? An attack by Rurik would not trigger it, is my assumption.

AFAIK, you've read it right.

Ch20 Q4: Tribal Armies.
Does it sound plausible that the young High Chief of Mari could call on a tribal horde under these circumstances? Or is there some mechanic that prevents him doing so in response to a war of claim, as opposed to him launching one himself? I can of course find out by experiment and counteract it with my own call, but it would be useful to have some indications in advance.

Sorry, I have no idea.