• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
That's a little harsh. I get that asking for a new update is annoying to the author but hell? That's a bit too much in my opinion.
I only meant to cry, because it's been just too much of a long time since a previous one. :c

Vlad, new update, pls. :c

There is a special place in hell for those who get the hopes of people up that there is a new update.

Wow, so emotional fans :D

Actually, I just kinda fell into procrastination due to exams in my university and didn't had proper time to write since. If you noticed, I am not the only one, it seems.

This weekend, perhaps, I'll finally write something. It bothers me too.
I always finish everything what I starts, this I can say honestly.

Although I tend to finish Third Rome first - it's not so hard to write and I expect just 2 more parts before end.

Actually, I just kinda fell into procrastination due to exams in my university and didn't had proper time to write since. If you noticed, I am not the only one, it seems.

Although I tend to finish Third Rome first - it's not so hard to write and I expect just 2 more parts before end.
Yeah, other top KR AARs have been slugging out recently, too. Not many updates.

Yes, I've seen way too many writAARs start procrastinating a bit, myself included :(.

That's a little harsh. I get that asking for a new update is annoying to the author but hell? That's a bit too much in my opinion.
Really? I just thought it was a political reference.

Part 18: Anathema

„Classic imperialism failed in it’s task because of loyalty paradox: people in colonized or conquered lands could never hope in true integration with their supposed homelands. Many of them embraced foreign culture, language and customs, even cuisine, but they were still bound to their birthplace. It was simply unthinkable, that man of Indochinese origin would became French Prime Minister or ethnic Tamil would be ever seen as mayor of London. Local armed forces in colonies, dominions and protectorates were never connected with regular, national armies. In addition, overseas territories were often too far away to maintain effective direct control, not mentioning lack of connection with it’s population.

HFf9y7e.jpg

Therefore in Russia, renewalist politicians realized in 1930s, that active russification is not effective and produces only backlash from both local and Russian nationalists, endangering precious stability in the Empire, so much cosmopolite before. After all, in 18th century, high nobility in Sankt Petersburg spoke only French, while low nobility widely spoke German. Romanovs identified themselves with Russian nation not before second half of 19th century. Direct russification was replaced by indirect russianization then. Russian language was confirmed as the first and only official imperial language, but every governorate had right to recognize ‚local languages‘ as secondary ones. Orthodox Church was formally separated from the State, to ease religious conflicts. Infrastructure was greatly improved to allow many more people to study and work in Russian industrial heartland and cities everywhere grew faster than it was deemed possible. But most importantly, Wrangel’s regime was equally harsh or benevolent to everyone in the same way. Only results mattered in such military state, warlike, and devoted to the final victory.“

- Randolph Churchill, Regime in the Black, 1955, Ottawa University Press

15th October, 1938, Constantinople, Russian Empire

kQLcu5B.jpg

Streets were full of debris and dead bodies, often burned beyond any recognition. Although this part of the city was not shelled thoroughly as other parts, incendiary ammunition did it’s work. The ‚Sacking of Constantinople‘ was used as an example of Russian precision in use of firepower, so infamous in later years. Hagia Sophia, same as parts inhabited by Greeks and city’s port were left almost intact, but other parts were burned or razed to the ground.

Only signs of human life was group of searching Russian soldiers with badges of 77th (Penal) Battalion. Cautious of possible Turkish rebels, they were slowly advancing just behind personal carriers, searching for any signs of life in rubble.

Lieutenant Osipov, leading his squad, cursed, when he stepped into something, which could be once human being. Part of it, at least. He sat to clean his shoes, just when part of his unit returned.

„Empty. Again.“ said private Rostovsky, known as Klim to his friends

„Why are we searching these streets anyway? Everyone is gone.“ said unit’s armourer, while cleaning his machine gun.

„That’s the one way how to put it, I suppose.“ answered other soldier, sharpening his combat knife on both sides of the blade.

„Almost everyone. I heard rumours, that there should be some stubborn bastards left. We must just find them.“ this time it was private Naumov. But everybody known his as ‚Patient‘. Someone who should really spent rest of his life on pills in padded cell.

„What a shame.“ told him lieutenant without turning on him, his shoes clean as a glass again.

„There are too many people in the world anyway. Why do you care? Sir?“ said ‚Patient‘ with his usually polite tone. But lieutenant’s eyes were focused elsewhere, briefly looking on nearest corpses with no interest. Just now, some stray dog took hand from half-rotten body of some child.

„Oh, I am not talking about them. Just look at that furniture, 17th century, I bet.“ answered lieutenant Osipov, examining pieces of mahogany. „It’s so sad.Things like these can’t be replaced.“

His thought were interrupted by sounds of pain nearby. Lieutenant waved to Klim and Patient, to follow him. Soon, they found two injured Ottoman soldiers hiding in the middle of destroyed shop, possibly too unconscious to notice maggots and pus in their wounds. One of them raised his hand to Osipov, saying something in turkish.

„I think he needs help.“ mumbled lieutenant, with handkerchief on mouth, and turned to his men. „Just make it quick.“

After a brief consideration, he turned again to Patient. After last experience with him, he should always use precise words.

„When I say quick, I mean bullets. Always. Is that understood?“

„Yes, sir...“ answered now grouchy Patient

Qomc6Td.jpg

Autumn 1938, Treaty of Constantinople

„There are certain necessities which, if they are not brought about by peaceful methods, must be realized by force, not only to the life of certain individuals but also to the life of the nation.“

- Emperor Peter IV, Speech in the Imperial Senate, October 13th, 1938

Fall of the Ottoman Empire gave Russian Empire vast territories from Bosporus to Arabia, from Aegean Sea to Persian Gulf, so full of many different ethnic and religious groups, that it was impossible to imagine any other decision than multiple partitions. Constantinople and Straits, same as Armenian lands, were directly annexed into the Empire, but there were still many territories no one wanted. At least in the Petrograd.

SZH99tx.png

As the first move, islands in the Mediterranean Sea were given to the Greeks, for both practical and propaganda purposes. It was also another political move to convince Orthodox authorities in Greece and elsewhere to recognize new russian Ecumenical Patriarch in Constantinople as a supreme leader of whole Orthodoxy.

GAcmRzn.png

Rhodos, 1938. Arrival of Royal Hellenic Army units was celebrated by it’s Greek population as much as it’s Turkish minority: Russian troops couldn’t care less what is happening to them. Anything deemed valuable, including prisoners of war and Anatolia’s entire food supplies, was sent to the Empire, no matter what consequences. Any sign of resistance was, as usually, stopped in swift and deadly ways, activity eagerly supported by local Greeks, Armenians and Kurds, officially treated as ‚co-belligerent‘ forces.

wfooHbu.png

In November, it was finally decided what to do with rest of the Anatolia: Kurdish population will be allowed to declare independence, while Greeks from Asia Minor will settle in newly declared (and now almost depopulated) Constantinople Governorate, treated as citizens of the Empire. Turkish population was supposed to stay in rump Turkish State, essentially a protectorate under control of Russian military.

0V7ytKr.png

More options appeared in southern desert areas, never sought in Russian strategic plans, however, these areas could be hardly ignored. Not only it contained vast oil deposits, further strengthening already monstrous imperial resources, but many historical places, most notably Jerusalem.

Unfortunately, it was also very possible source of future chaos, due to impossibility to create any stable ethno-religious borders, even if government in Petrograd approved creation of few dozens of them.

Sp Pan-Arabist proposal to create one united Arab state, which will try to balance any conflicts within, seemed as most reasonable option, allowing Empire to exploit local resources without too much interference with any possible ‚inner affairs‘.

npYdA3H.png

This simple conclusion led to another one: to prevent any future insurgency supported by Egypt or Hashemites, it was necessary to eliminate them as well. Immediately.

Carelessness in which Russian Empire acted now, destroying independent countries, one by one, proved to the world, that such aggressive conquests won’t stop. Especially in view of growing brutality from victorious forces.

Only question now was, who will be next target?

CfLmRw9.png

War itself was, again, decided the day when it started. Egyptians had never any chance, same as Hashemites, and furious German protests were either ignored or responded, for the first time, by threats.

„Protest or declare war. It doesn’t really matter anymore.“

- Foreign Minister Alexei A. Ignatiev to German Ambassador in Russia, Graf von der Schulenburg, December 2nd, 1938

ORcmzTs.jpg

Egyptian front, Winter 1938. With experiences from battles in Central Asia, Persia and Ottoman Empire, Russian Imperial Army and it’s officers were no strangers in desert war, approaching enemy position with total confidence in their victory, in addition, every battle less inclined to take any prisoners of war.

og77Cny.png

So it didn’t took long before last battered Egyptian division surrendered to Russian forces, just days before end of the year.

From Igor Naumov's "One day in the life of Russian soldier", 1958, Chapter III.:

"...often cried out, but it didn't matter to us whether they lived or died. We were the Emperor's soldiers. Whether in cities, bases or in the villages, we did anything what we wanted without reluctance."

Best Middle East is Russian Middle East.

Part 19: There but for the Grace of God

"It was interesting to notice that the English prisoners whom
we took with us, for the most part, accepted as a matter of course
the hardships of the long marches, the constant crossing of
rivers and the countless difficulties connected with supplies
and transport. They realized that we Germans had exactly
the same hardships to endure as themselves and were in addition
burdened with a number of further duties such as patrol expedi-
tions, fighting, carrying of supplies and watch-keeping. They
bore everything with a certain humour and it was obviousty
interesting to them to see the war from the German point of
view. It was quite otherwise with the Portuguese officers. It
is true they were in an unenviable position: for the most part
they were infected with syphilis and were carefully avoided
by the English prisoners. In addition they were not real
campaigners. They had received a generous share of the booty
captured at Namacurra, but had not learned how to make the
best of it. They had at once consumed the precious oil with
rice and it was too much to expect that the Germans should
now share with them their own meagre ration. Marching was
a burden to them, their boots were torn to pieces in short,
their spokesman, the general staff officer captured at Namacurra,
was continually complaining to me of the inconveniences which
with the best will in the world I could not help. He was continually
asking to be released. I should have been only too glad to consent
if he would have given his parole not to fightagainst us,
but this he would not do. I could not be expected
to release people without any obligation and so put them in
a position to attack us again immediately."

- Paul von Lettow-Vorbeck, My Reminiscences of East Africa, 1925, London, Hurst and Blackett

Spreading of Syndicalism

Two years after Black Monday and Russian coup, world turned into spiral of chaos even more than last year. On every continent, revolutions, uprisings, coups and wars were fought, as it seemed, more vigorously, with more victims on every side.
America, all the way from Alaska to Patagonia, in Weltkrieg almost intact, quickly changed into least safe place on Earth. In Eurasia and elsewhere, Germany managed to defend it's place in the sun by slow retreat from position of world's hegemon, with hope of return, once and if Japan and France will be defeated. Russia scared rest of the world, but the awaken bear, no matter what rhetorics used, was in no position to fight all it's powerful enemies at once.
In summary, no state or alliance in the world was in position to reverse collapse of the world they knew. Syndicalists, on the other hand, seen this as an ultimate proof of the coming end of capitalism and pursued aggressive revolutionary actions. Democracy seemed as obstacle in World Revolution. Same view, ironically, had forces committed to their destruction: only strong leaders can save them from revolutionary madness, at any cost.
In fact, before Russian imperial troops reached Constantinople, every non-syndicalist power, Germany, Japan, even Canada were, if not sympathetic, then tolerant towards ruthless methods against 'red menace': if reconquest of Caucasus, Central Asia and few puppet states are the price to have anti-syndicalist Russia, so be it.

A9d0m3O.jpg

Syndicalist terrorists training in Moldavia, 1930s. Prime Minister Khruschev, although still maintaining 'distant policy' to not provoke either Germany and Russia to invade Ukraine immediately, apparently couldn't pass a chance to create it's own puppet state in chaos of Austro-Hungarian War.

6ZO53ax.png

Vienna's loyalist victory over Hungarian rebels left crippled, but now again monarchist, Romania in difficult, uncertain position: will be absorbed into planned Danubian Federation or Iron Guard will again take the absolute power in the country? Syndicalist uprising caught King Carol's government off-guard and was a great political victory for Syndicalist Ukraine: now they had their own source of oil for their industry and food production and stronger position towards both Russia and Germany.

nVojBXw.jpg

Getulio Vargas, leader of Integralists, man behind unsuccesful Summer Uprising in Brazil. Staunch nationalist, he was a proponent of worker's rights, as much as anti-syndicalist, who started uprising immediately after his public speech, when totalist 'People's Militia' tried to arrest him. Without hesitation, he shot first of them to the face three times, while his own men were disarming rest of them.

WP90Mvs.png

Even before these events took place, rise of 'Latino Internationale' provoked reaction from surrounding countries, fearing another full-scale war, brutal revolutionary war, not seen there from times of Simón Bolívar.

agCa93C.jpg

Anarchist volunteers in Barcelona, May 1938. Despite widespread support of Internationale, including a ships full of soldiers and guns of fallen Combined Syndicates, Alphonsists managed to secure Madrid and push back both CNT-FAI and Carlist legions.

mUToXWw.png

Knowing the pain of their own, even Austrians helped to ensure, as soon as possible, that Spain won't fall.

Subcontinent

Largely forgotten by the rest of the troubled world, India, once British crown jewel, witnessed rise of another empire: Indian Empire. It's founder, Osman Ali Khan, Nizam of Hydebarad, was different from other rulers: he owned the much of the state he ruled. Once it was apparent than no outsiders will oppose this move, he proclaimed himself first Kaisar of India, directly challenging authority and title British King-Emperor.

twB58Ax.jpg

Kaisar Osman Ali Khan's personal guard with it's officers in front, late 1930s. Aside from them, Ali Khan's ambitions in Hydebarad were supported by Razakars, muslim soldiers loyal to him through personal oath. 'Wealthiest man in the world', as called in Western press, also founded 'Federal' and then 'Imperial' Army, from the start bound by oath only to him. Other Princes changed into mere advisors, and their 'armies' into local police force, knowing that any serious opposition is doomed to fail.

p0bsy4s.png

Planned for a years, during the Fifth Andra Mahasabha, which was large gathering of opposition against indian feudal lords and their treatment of peasants, Osman Ali Khan declared martial law, without consulting the Council of Princes, and his Razakars controlled the streets and villages in the Federation soon.
Essentially a coup, he declared himself an Emperor of India. Minor reforms were planned to appease the subjects, whille all the minor Princes were allowed to retain their nominal sovereignty, armies and privileges. With Delhi focused on helping Canada for now and syndicalists locked in endless discussions, new Kaisar-i-Hind greatly reformed and improved his realm, to follow success of reborn Qing Empire and Russian Empire. In matter of expansion, though, only tiny Madras Republic could be crushed for this moment. Nizam of Hydebarad, perhaps the most reactionary and last true feudal monarch in the world, knew that in case of attack of both remaining states, his Empire have only little chance to win.

Franco-German tensions

Although Germany did everything to buy more time, and new Chancellor von Lettow-Vorbeck did everything he could to convince everyone in Reichstag and military to be patient in cases of syndicalist provocations, knowing, how much changed since Weltkrieg and how many variables now workers against German Empire, it was in the same time necessary to show strength again and again to show determination of it's citizens to defend their place in the sun.

6DyaPNj.png

"Of a total population of Lothringen, 1,874,014 in 1918, an overwhelming 1,634,260 were ethnic Germans. Only 2% of the region spoke French fluently, or some 204,262 persons. The distinct Alsatian dialect of German (Elsässisch) is related to the Alemanni and Swabian dialects of southwestern Germany and Switzerland, and is largely intelligible with standard German despite centuries of internecine political divorce from Germany proper."
- Barry Cerf, Elsass-Lothringen since 1870, 1919, New York, Macmillan.

LmlS0l0.png

Assassination of German ambassador was not deemed as casus belli important enough, especially in light of new intervention in China and just recent recovery of German economy because of it. Extra time to prepare military and industry had priority.

ZRiMVEy.jpg

"The last cigarette was denied, and to get it over and done with, he was hurried to finish his glass. He drank the last sip. Passed the glass to the guard.
Quickly, his hands were tied behind his back with the cord. He was helped up. The guards opened a door in the corridor. The guillotine appeared, opposite the door. Beside it was an open brown wicker basket. Everything went very quickly. I heard a dull sound. I turned round - blood, lots of blood, very red blood - the body had toppled into the basket. In a second, a life had been cut."
- from memories of German prison guard in Plötzensee

ly4DZZf.png

It also showed further German determination to focus only to Western front and support of Qing Dynasty in starting Second Sino-Japanese War. Many other states, no matter how close to Germany, realized necessity of their own preparations for the storm coming to their doors, when so many states already fell.

vAjLEDw.jpg

Finnish soldiers in Karelia, Summer 1938. Threatened by Syndicalists and Russians and facing prospect sof zero actual German support in the same time, Kingdom of Finland assumed purely defensive stance.

8Z1MScQ.png

In December, however, it seemed that inevitable confrontation will start elsewhere. Instead of Elsass-Lothringen, there was one almost forgotten place on the edge of european continent, which received independence very recently - State of Iceland.

Austro-Hungarian Civil War - Aftermath

In February, everything was over. After weeks on intense Austrian attacks against their last defense line, with supplies running low, without any foreign help, Hungarians lost control over last parts of their Kingdom's territory. Remnants of their army surrendered in Cluj.

RMbsljL.png

The Emperor kept his promises. For their loyalty, Slovakians were rewarded with their own federal state within the new 'Danubian Federation' based on concepts of murdered Archduke Franz Ferdinand d'Este of Austria.
Archduke believed, that the introduction of the dualism in 1867 had been disastrous and that, when he would ascended the throne, he intended to re-establish strong central government: this objective, he believed, could be attained only by the simultaneous granting of far-reaching administrative autonomy to all the nationalities of the monarchy.

uBBuwb4.jpg

Emperor Otto von Habsburg, late 1930s.

kmmOfsm.png

As a gesture of good faith, more to Germans, than Poles themselves, Federation gave independence to Poland in it's pre-war borders, knowing well to which nation they will turn for support.

5etWDgK.png

Serbian gamble with supposed end of Austria-Hungary didn't end well - after everything, Vienna could tolerate only subservient regime as a first, and return of it's territories as a second, non-negotiable condition. Russia and it's armies were too far away, so they stood alone against unified Habsburg realm and it's battle-hardened, and again, victorious army.

qGjt1Vz.jpg

Serbians, handing in their weaponry to victorious Austrian soldiers. Sarajevo, 1938.

88KtMSQ.png

If isolationism in this world was not an option anymore, which side will the new 'Danubian Federation' support?

Second American Civil War - Aftermath

When last Federal and syndicalist stronghold fell, America First's victory was complete - if there weren't parts of country occupied by Mexico and Canada. Pacific States, now as a part of Entente,

EzV2JbC.png

War with Canada was much surprise to Canadians, as it was for many American citizens. Continuation of war seemed likely, but more with Mexico first, in addition of destroyed industry and infrastructure after Second Civil War, not able to produce enough supplies or weaponry, and now facing invasion of well-trained and much better equipped Entente's forces, it was barely enough to produce ammunition and spare parts.

DOk0Cdv.jpg

Canadian sniper in suburbs of Pittsburgh, 1938. Modern royalist army proved to be superior against America First's militias, still struggling to control former Federal and Syndicalist strongholds. Clearly, Huey Long underestimated Canadian reserves and how much they have to lose. But preparing to retake England, and tired of running, Edward VIII., supported by majority of officers, 'strongly suggested' to not accept any peace proposal, instead, to crush America First's regime, and use still vast American resources against Internationale.

tqHjupt.png

The same day when Huey Long in his another demagogic speech declared to retake another 'stolen' american territory, Entente's forces already destroyed what remained from US Navy and US Air Force and advanced from East Coast to Southern states, right to Atlanta. Unable to defend land or coast, landings of French and Australian troops in Florida and Louisiana only sealed 'Union States' fate.

0qUzsFl.jpg

Edward VIII. in Boston, Autumn 1938, decorating Entente's soldiers.

mB1JrZV.png

It couldn't end in any other way - while America First's factions bickered about future of Americas, ignorant of their grave position, Royal Marines were just securing the old US capital, while Canadian tanks were advancing to the South.

Last edited:
Reactions: