• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

emmasterakia

Community Developer
6 Badges
Mar 27, 2018
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition

Welcome to a new streaming initiative we would like to call BATTLETECH Challenges!

Connor over at HBS kindly put together some challenges for us to complete and on each Challenge Stream we will try to finish a challenge with our life and honor intact.
Let's be honest, this is not going to be easy.

But it's not just us doing these challenges, no no. We want YOU to give us your best advice and try to finish these challenges as well!

Here are the rules and remember, NO MODS allowed!

_____

Challenge 1: Hit and run... RUN!

Float like a butterfly, sting like a locust.

Date streamed: November 13th
LINK TO STREAM: Coming soon!

Specifics: Pretty fun/nerve wracking at first. Fun tends to taper off punctuated by oh-crap moments.

Goal: Lights/Mobility/Reserve training

Map: Arena - The Stacks

Player's Lance:

Locust - LCT-1V - Apex

Locust - LCT-1V - Paradise

Op For's Lance:

King Crab - KGC-0000 - Apex

_____

Let us know how you did in the comments!

Done it but it took a hefty 64 turns:rolleyes:
Just reserving and firing every other turn, Crab eventually had its pilot die due to torso destruction and head hits. Only took one shot from the Crab when I underestimated its movement and it peeked around the corner.
May try to do it again a bit faster.
20181113065731_1.jpg
20181113065735_1.jpg

well..if ever i can get into skirmish mode without having to reinstall without mods i will give these a go.
:D

If you bought the game on Steam, you can activate in on the Paradox launcher as well and do a separate vanilla download there if you have space for it.

really?
space is not a problem on a 6.5T system.
i will give this a looksee.
thanks @Krelp

sigh
apparently I can't do maths and missed the stream

ya living on east coast US...i though PT was -3 hours so twitch was 10am.
no biggie

Go wide, one left and one right. Reserve behind hills where you know it would take more than two moved to gain LoS, keep both LCTs fairly evenly distanced from the KGC. AI will flip back and forth between targets and never commit, pop out on walking and take back shots as you can and return to the exact same dots. This keeps the KGC in the same "confused mode" and it will walk one way, then the other until the rear is very close to popping, then other vulnerability weights come into play, once you pop the sides, it's game. Probably doable in about 30 turns without any lucky ammo pops or pilot incaps.

Got it down to 9... certainly saves a lot of time to just go through the rear rather than scratching my way through nearly 1300 armor 25 damage at a time
20181113085134_1.jpg
20181113085145_1.jpg

Attachments

• 20181113085134_1.jpg
    20181113085134_1.jpg
    222,7 KB · Views: 28
Got it down to 9... certainly saves a lot of time to just go through the rear rather than scratching my way through nearly 1300 armor 25 damage at a time
View attachment 417220 View attachment 417221

LOL! There is just something so *wrong* with a pair of Locusts killing the King! Nonetheless, taking it out through the rear armor is definitely the way to go. Especially the Left Torso with the LRM ammo. If you can set that off, the corresponding arm is gone and it helps focus damage on the rear center torso. I don't see how anyone could do much better. 9 rounds!

First Try here, used paradise's ace pilot linked with the higher initiative to get a cheeky two alpha strikes into the rear armour before running off. Repeat and rinse.

Managed to do it in 17 rounds, the king crab melee attacked the poor locust, no idea how paradise survived that one!

E92D490AAA87205573326529BBCA58B8EDA1BEE8

84903542B3C408D07974B19F5E3BF56AF98DB0D6

I think the absolute minimum would be about 3 rounds, two if you loaded the dice. Round 1 to close, round 2 one head plink each, then again on round 3 for 4 hits to pilot incap. But then that's just praying for RNG. An ever rarer RNG gift would land all the damage on the head for 2 round KO.

I also managed the job!

Well Apex get lost with a kick in the center but Paradise managed the job.

The Key is Ace Pilot. Go for cover for a double turn ... then sprint to the back / Fire next round and run away... rinse and repeat till the end.

2A2D3258BD42C21D639A384E134353D2C6A81786

...ya living on east coast US...i though PT was -3 hours so twitch was 10am.
no biggie
Not quite, turns out the stream was at 9:00am EST...

...what with Daylight Savings Time And all.

@scJazz, I missed it too. But the VoD was very quickly available. : )

This challenge requires a lot of patience, playing bait and switch, but it is somewhat straight-forward, and any other tactic is likely to end in disaster (though please do prove me wrong :p ).

Since we're about two weeks away from getting our hands on Flashpoints/1.3 patch, how about the next challenge being a single Hatchetman against 4 Locusts or 2 Jenners or whatever? :D

Hit and Run ++ variant:
Player's Lance:
- 2x Locust-1M
- 1x Locust-1V
- 1x Locust-1S

Opfor Lance:
- 2x Hunchback 4G
- 2x Hunchback 4P

... enjoy. It took me 200+ rounds to do that on the Red City map...but I came out of it with 3 Locusts still standing (barely).

Not quite, turns out the stream was at 9:00am EST...

...what with Daylight Savings Time And all.

@scJazz, I missed it too. But the VoD was very quickly available. : )
lol... apparently we both did the same stupid thing then...
ohai DST o/ how u doin?

On a related note... perhaps PDX could... ermmm... you know... maybe... I don't want to get crazy but... either show GMT as the time, or if that is too complicated... ermm... CEST, EST, and PST?
I am sure the later would assist HBS in setting alarm.
I am having an EvE moment right now. :D

Done! Definitely not my best skirmish but it was quite fun. I was also quite lucky, both locusts were hit once but survived.

As @Quardak says, reserving and sprinting behind the rear of the King Crab with the Ace Pilot mechwarrior is definitely an effective strategy - but it takes quire a while, and the longer it takes the more likely you are to make mistakes regarding the King Crab's LoS (as may have happened to me :oops:).
In fact, this mission made me desire more than ever having a way to visualise the possible movement range of the OpFor mechs...

Screenshot 2018-11-13 21.27.17.png
Screenshot 2018-11-13 21.27.37.png