• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

B-Train

Recruit
Nov 29, 2015
This might sound like a noob question, but it's not something I've paid attention to before. Recently my motherboard quit and I had to rebuild my comp from scratch. So when I loaded CS, I had a lot of issues with it crashing and stuff. Long story short, I believe it had to do with where I had my assets and mods stored on my hard drive. When I download things from Steam, it saves them in the \steam\steamapps\workshop\content\255710 folder. When I have things in that folder, it usually makes the load time longer and a lot of times causes the game to completely crash. Right now I have about 30 mods in it and it works okay. I completely deleted all the assets I had before and unsubscribed from them. It'll take some time but I'll start over. My question is, where do I want to save these at? I know when I download them, they'll go in the 255710 folder, but do I need to move them to another location? I know one possibility is \appdata\local\colossal order\cities skylines\addons. Another possibility is steam\steamapps\common\cities skylines\files\mods.

I'm just really confused on where everything should be stored. Also, do assets and mods go in the same folder or do I need to separate them?

Sorry if I rambled, but thanks for any help.

There are only 2 locations you should have mod files
\steam\steamapps\workshop\content\255710\
\appdata\local\colossal order\cities skylines\addons (\mods \assets etc)

In the case of subscribed content... everything is in the 255710 folder.
Unless you have a specific purpose, subscribe and let the game manage your 255710 folder without screwing around with it.
If you want delete empty folders in there, that's fine though (can happen sometimes if you subscribe and unsubscribe and the folder didn't get removed)

In the case of 'local' content, those are placed\stored all in \appdata\local\colossal order\cities skylines\addons ; and in that case
\mods\<officailmodname>\thefiles - for mods
\assets\<assetfile.crp> for assets
\map themes\ - for themes
\Styles\ - for styles
etc.

Another possibility is steam\steamapps\common\cities skylines\files\mods.
Don't put files here.