Analysis of Trade Good Tiers and Prices

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Reman

Field Marshal
74 Badges
Jun 26, 2010
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Surviving Mars
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
I was wondering what the ordinal ranking of the trade good prices were so I did a simple analysis.

First, I took the base price of the good, then added modifiers for price changing events according to
1) The date when the event typically happens (taken from the historical files);
2) If the event lasts the entire game, or for a specific length of time
3) The relative likelihood of the event occurring in any given game (starting from 1444), based on a rough probabilistic outline I've seen from playing hundreds of games.

The third point is the most tenuous, as it's a pretty rough approximation in some instances, but it should get the job done in most cases. For example, I give the event "Protestant Fish" (which decreases fish prices by 10%) about a 100% chance of happening in games starting from 1444, simply because the trigger (any nation having 5 or more protestant provinces) is extremely likely to happen. Another event, Development of Veneering, I gave a 75% chance of happening based on what I've seen in games.

Basically, I was trying to approximate what the "average" price of a good was over the course of the game.

The ordinal ranking for prices are:

Silk 4.42
Dyes 4.41
Cocoa 4.26
Ivory 4.19
Tobacco 3.88
Spices 3.80
Copper 3.76
Coffee 3.75
Iron 3.74
Cloth 3.63
Sugar 3.61
Cotton 3.49
Salt 3.23
Chinaware 3.07
Fur 2.95
Wine 2.73
Slaves 2.60
Tea 2.42
Naval Supplies 2.37
Tropical wood 2.35
Fish 2.13
Wool 2.07
Grain 1.98
Some interesting points:
1. Good old grain beats out Wool and Fish for the cheapest/worst good.
2. Despite it's ubiquity, fur isn't actually that bad of a good. It's low base value is bolstered by three events that are practically guaranteed to happen in the early-mid game.
3. Tea is surprisingly bad. I had typically grouped it with other high-priced exotics like spices, dyes, and silk, but it's low base price of 2 is only marginally bolstered by two events that happen pretty late (typically in the mid game).
4. Iron and Copper have about the same average value over the course of the game.
5. The best goods are clearly silk, dyes, cocoa, and ivory. If you can get a lock on these through trading or conquest, you're in for a lucrative game.

Also, some strategies I've been thinking up as this thread has progressed.
1. In past games when I have been trying to establish a presence in India, I had typically landed in the west around Goa to capture the coastal spices. I would have typically been doing this around mid-game. My second tier list shows that this is a silly decision. I could have landed in the East around the Bengal delta and snaked my way up the Ganges. This would have netted me lots of Ivory, Dyes, Cotton, and the most Silk-heavy area of the game. In addition, all of this land would be farmland that's easy to expand. I could have easily doubled my trade output/value.
2. It turns out that the areas just south of the Caspian have a huge concentration of the best goods in the game. I hadn't typically been giving this area the proper respect it deserved.
3. I had been avoiding fur provinces when colonizing, thinking they were essentially garbage. That meant that between colonizing Canada or just focusing on Europe, I would have chosen the latter. It turns out that fur is about as good as spices in the second half of the game.
4. I would have stayed the hell away from China's tea provinces. I had no idea they were so mediocre.
5. If I go colonizing, I would have typically made a beeline for the West Indes. While these provinces are good, a better place to target would be Mexico, specifically the Yucatan. There's a cluster of provinces that have cocoa, which is one of the best goods. Capturing this would be a huge boon to any empire, and doing so early in the game would give you a vice-grip on cocoa which has a nice manpower recovery bonus. Plus, it would practically guarantee the Hot Chocolate event later in the game, which boosts cocoa prices by 40%. In fact, the reason cocoa has usually flown under my radar is because of how fleeting this event is. It has very specific circumstances, but if you can get it then cocoa becomes the best good in the game by a large margin. It's price shoots to an amazing 5.4, which is 0.4 higher than any other good.
6. The most rare price-changing event is by far the Bengali Dye Production. I have never seen the AI trigger it from a 1444 start, but it should be trivial for a player. All you have to do is own a specific chunk of India (the rich chunk in fact, that I mentioned earlier). Then you'll get the option for the Bengali Dye Expansion, which converts two of your non-silk provinces in India to dyes, and drops the price of dyes by 25%. Dyes are still worth enough for it to be a profitable decision to take, but it will hurt every other nation that relies on dyes quite a bit. I was thinking of a recent Portugal game where I was competing against Spain. They had moved into West-Africa which has garbage goods for the most part. However, it does have a cluster of 6 dye provinces which they were using to fund mercs. Triggering the Bengali Dye event might have been just enough to push me over the top in terms of comparative power against them.

Attachments

• Best Trade Goods.png
    Best Trade Goods.png
    73,1 KB · Views: 879
Last edited:
Reactions:
Now lets say that you're halfway through the game at the year 1630. This is mainly for European nations who are thinking about setting up outposts/trading companies in Asia or colonies in the New World. In that case, from 1630 onwards, the average prices are:

Silk 4.83
Dyes 4.81
Cocoa 4.51
Tobacco 4.50
Iron 4.46
Ivory 4.37
Coffee 4.28
Sugar 4.20
Cotton 3.96
Cloth 3.96
Spices 3.64
Fur 3.53
Copper 3.48
Salt 3.29
Chinaware 3.14
Wine 2.96
Slaves 2.91
Tea 2.83
Naval Supplies 2.74
Tropical wood 2.53
Fish 2.00
Grain 1.97
Wool 1.89

Most of the top-ranked goods retain their high status.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Damn this is pretty awesome. Thanks for sharing this. I feel like you need to bold and increase font of this line though. Its the most important finding after all

5. The best goods are clearly silk, dyes, cocoa, and ivory. If you can get a lock on these through trading or conquest, you're in for a lucrative game.

Cloth is higher than I thought. Higher than spices, chinaware, slaves.

As nice as this research is, it's not really actionable. Colonies produce goods at random so you can't count on them to get anything specific. You probably aren't going to be in a position to pick and choose what provinces to take in a war based on the goods produced. Abolishing slavery rerolls all provinces with the slave good, but it comes so late it's not really useful either.

I'll summarize so people can use it for stuff like development

If your trade good is above 3.00 in value then it is worth putting points into production development. It is worth constructing the buildings for production.

If your trade good is below 3.00 then the province is better off being developed for tax and manpower.

Reactions:
wiki quote http://www.eu4wiki.com/Trade_goods

European trade goods

Best European trade goods are cloth, copper (early to mid) and iron (mid to late). Due to price events cloth gets +40% price and iron gets +50% by endgame. Copper also has +50% price between military tech 7 and 18. It is wise prioritize building production buildings and manufactories on provinces producing iron, copper and cloth. Also avoid building them in provinces that produce wool, fish and grain. By late-game price of wool and fish will decline by 45% and 20% respectively

Colonial and Asian trade goods

Silk, ivory, cocoa, dyes (early), sugar, cotton and tobacco (later) are the best trade goods and as they have price increasing events that boost their price further. Dyes start with relatively high price but will become worse around 1700 when the "Expansion of Bengali Dye Production" event fires. However building production buildings in overseas provinces as a European nation is not advised since they have 75% local autonomy floor. If any of the player's non-overseas province produces these goods prioritize them over any other European trade goods.

focus on manufactories on cloth and iron provinces in same continent as your capital. If you play european nation, its often not worth it to build buildings on overseas provinces for trade goods.

Ah yes, Cocoa.

In my RNW game I was fortunate enough for 'The Comet' to produce Cocoa. Second most valuable trade good in the random new world...and I got 500% goods produced modifier. It was glorious.

Great list, thanks for compiling this!

Sorry to necro this thread, but I was wondering if the OP or any other community members were thinking of updating this wonderful Analysis of trade goods to include the new trade goods added in 1.23? I refer to this page religiously when I play a trade-focused game, and it would be amazing to see this get updated!

Really helpful information!

Sorry to necro this thread, but I was wondering if the OP or any other community members were thinking of updating this wonderful Analysis of trade goods to include the new trade goods added in 1.23? I refer to this page religiously when I play a trade-focused game, and it would be amazing to see this get updated!

Really helpful information!

Also worth to note that a bunch of old price events have also been tweaked :)

Found this thread searching through the forums. It looked like the analysis hadn't been updated with the new trade goods and price events so I took it upon myself to update. I did my best to analyze using the same method remanemporor did back in 2016. Below are the approximate weighted average prices throughout the game. Interestingly they all seemed to fall into rather clear tiers.

Tier 1
Silk 4.47
Paper 4.42
Cocoa 4.39
Dyes 4.36
Ivory 4.19​

Tier 2
Tobacco 3.84
Copper 3.79
Iron 3.74
Sugar 3.71
Spices 3.68
Gems 3.67
Cloth 3.62
Cotton 3.56

Tier 3
Salt 3.24
Glass 3.23
Fur 3.14
Chinaware 3.04
Coffee 2.97
Livestock 2.94​

Tier 4
Wine 2.75
Incense 2.74
Wool 2.70
Tea 2.68
Slaves 2.68
Tropical Wood 2.52​

Tier 5
Naval Supplies 2.35
Fish 2.11
Grain 2.03
I can post all the numbers if someone really wants to see the math behind all this but thought the Tiers and Weights Averages would be helpful enough!

I'd like to point out that while Decline of the spice trade happens fairly frequently, it is definitely preventable if you focus on it. In that situation, you can rate Spices higher than is indicated in this thread.

I'm less sure about Dissemination of the coffee plant. If colonial nations can trigger it, I'm not sure how feasible it is to prevent, short of moving your capital to the new world.

Paper is more valuable that gems, sugar, ivory, spices, tobacco, chinaware. It's almost as valuable as silk. How come I never read anything about the Paper Trade in my history classes?

Paper is more valuable that gems, sugar, ivory, spices, tobacco, chinaware. It's almost as valuable as silk. How come I never read anything about the Paper Trade in my history classes?

I think paper mostly represents a heavy concentration of crafting industries.