• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ok so for this game I suspect the western med is better thought out than the eastern possibilities, but could you maybe do a Persia game? Restore that surprisingly enlightened and great empire across Anatolia, then kick the poo out of the Greeks for stealing your islands?

Carthage also looks quite interesting, since it is mostly the same as Sicily but you stand a chance against those flipping Italians.

Thanks for letting us know. Is taking the helm of Rome itself too big a thing for Imperator as yet? Otherwise, as I’ve found, you have to pick something you’re interested in yourself, of course, or the writing is just too hard! ;)

Saddened to hear about the loss of your computer, and thus your AAR game files -- but glad to see that you're still champing at the bit for the next project :)

As for AAR ideas:
* Victoria II: I believe the last time this matter came up, I suggested perhaps playing as an Asian power -- namely China or Japan, though an Indian "princely state" might fit well, too -- with an end to westernizing and becoming the regional power (or perhaps even a Great Power in your own right). I also have a soft spot for Brazil, as the only proper(ish) monarchy on the American continent.
* Crusader Kings II: Possibly something from the new "Iron Century" start, though no special bookmark in mind. Alternately, a 1204 game as either the Latin Empire, or one of the Byzantine successor states.
* Imperator: Rome: Almost certainly one of the Diadochi Kingdoms. Again, no particular one in mind (outside of maybe a small preference for Ptolemaic Egypt).
* Stellaris: A Megacorp run, maybe?

Do keep us all in the loop, whatever you end up deciding!

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, and thanks for being so understanding. :)

As I said over in my other AAR I have been tempted by Stellaris and CK2 so I'm not certain I want to jump straight back into Imperator - I very much enjoy the game but it is harder to handle in some ways since it is still new. That said I am definitely considering my options.

As I've said before I'm especially drawn towards the Greco-Roman parts of Antiquity. That doesn't mean I'd never consider a different culture but familiar gods and cultural touchstones are a major pull factor. I like my Homer and Herodotus.

One of my considerations had been the Antigonids ('Phygria'), which are a fascinating combination of Hellenic and non-Greek elements and in a very interesting spot. Also I once played Demetrius in an online forum rpg. :) Having said that I think TreizeV might want another go at them and he has first dibs.

Rome herself is certainly possible. The scale of managing a republic is something I'd have to consider, though it also suggests several ideas. I could for instance follow an individual family.

Bactria could be interesting. Like Phygria (and Sicily) it is both Greek and non-Greek and it could be a fascinating culture to examine. It does have the disadvantage of being close to two massive empires (and the satrapy to one) and of course no coastline so becoming a seapower would be a long range goal at best.

Carthage has a lot of possibility and the idea of building a maritime power is definitely tempting. As with Rome I'd have to consider how to handle the republican form of government. The main disadvantage is I mentioned above is that I am far less familiar with the Carthaginians than the Greeks or Romans - it is harder to get into their heads. Of course that might be an interesting challenge.

Well I'd recommend rome or carthage then. No ones doung anything with them but the level of difference you can achieve in a playthrough would be significant.

The Great empires of the south and east have the common challenge that they are minorities ruling over other cultures, so the you need to keep a lot of provinces happy while you convert them.

Any consideration given to Seleucus? He would bring the combination of Hellenic and non-Hellenic cultures as well, and who doesn't want to play the Victor?

I would be extremely interesting in seeing you take on CK2. Maybe especially making use of the Random world feature with random religion features.

If/when you come back to Imperator Bactria I think has to be a strong candidate.