• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I am certain that the Visconti will find all sorts of opportunity in the mid-east.

But is their gold infinite enough to grasp them? ;)

An end of an era... I'm fine with the Visconti leaving Italian politics behind to focus on the East. Hopefully the Pope will leave you be. I'm just concerned that you're not ruling the empire now.

Let us pray the Shia Caliph does not target Alexandria or else we will be toasted! (dont worry, we have our feudal relatives in Sardinia and Capua but it will be a setback for sure). As of the Principality- Empire... sometimes, the petty demands of each and everyone vying for more power and liberty was a grueling task, at least now we can focus on our small vassals nearby

It's all good and well when Emperors destroy titles, but Grand Princes aren't under any risk to lose them, so that's not exactly good behaviour by the AI... well, time for the Visconti to reorganize themselves in the east.

And it looks like one of the patricians has been lazy. No wonder the Caetani hold no county :rolleyes:.

(What I meant was any observation of Pluto, considering its discovery time - he wouldn't have been able to observe Neptune either, actually.)

About the destruction of titles, I am certain it had to do with the many demands to either lower the authority or gain independence as de-jure they were not a part of Pisa. I suppose the AI is not up for the fanciful titles of Prince of Italy and Jerusalem :)

The Caetani have been stubborn Fraticcelists for centuries...by now I would have thought them extinct after the blow they received when they lost Cagliari. Yet here they are, one time Catholics, the other Fraticelli, I suppose if I am re-elected I will give them something to let them be

As of the observations, let us invoke poetic license and be done with it :p It would have been a marvel if at that time they could see Mars, though I am not an astronomer...

The Visconti have got to be one of the greatest dynasties to grace a CKII AAR. Immense adventure and conquest fun. The Mideast beware !

I am honored by your comment, I hope my description of the Family is as engaging as also plausible, trying to find the middle ground between fantasy and reality.. at least I try not to blob uncontrollably (not that I can, with Conclave each step you make, a coalition is at your door, good thing they do not attack back as well!) :)

Arc II

Of Lesser, Middle and Greater India

visco_arc_II.jpg

“…The people are gross idolaters, and much addicted to sorcery and divination. When they are about to make a purchase of goods, they immediately observe the shadow cast by their own bodies in the sunshine; and if the shadow be as large as it should be, they make the purchase that day…” – excerpt from The Travels of Marco Polo the Venetian, Character of the Brahmans pg.370

9th of June 1325

Alexandria, Grand Principality of Pisa

At the deserts of Egypt was a worthy man, that was an holy hermit, and there met with him a monster (that is to say, a monster is a thing deformed against kind both of man or of beast or of anything else, and that is clept a monster).

And this monster, that met with this holy hermit, was as it had been a man, that had two horns trenchant on his forehead; and he had a body like a man unto the navel, and beneath he had the body like a goat. And the hermit asked him what he was.

And the monster answered him, and said he was a deadly creature, such as God had formed, and dwelt in those deserts in purchasing his sustenance. And [he] besought the hermit, that he would pray God for him, the which that came from heaven for to save all mankind, and was born of a maiden and suffered passion and death (as we well know) and by whom we live and be.

And yet is the head with the two horns of that monster at Alexandria for a marvel.

“What are you reading again there Abelino? Tell me it is not the Travels of Marco Polo once more, that Venetian storyteller?”

visco_arc_II_1.jpg

The Travels of Marco Polo caused quite a sensation in Western Europe of 17 February 1303, of course the Pisani merchants begged to differ from his fanciful tales…

“Oh no father, it is the Travels of John Mandeville, the Anglo-Saxon Knight who…”

The senior man of middle age let a sigh of despair. What was it that each book that begun with the title “The Travels” would be filled with marvels and beasts half men-half animals which guarded lairs of treasure?

“I am certain these are the books I bought from the Abbey of St. Anthony some time ago… I should have known not to become excited by the pretty pictures…hopefully by now you should know that these are mere stories to engage children and frighten the people into their households… “

visco_arc_II_2.jpg

He paused and urged the young man to take out a book from his backpack

“Let me tell you a true tale…the tale of our resourceful House Visconti. How from the pariahs of Pisa we became once again masters of our fate and even more so, the harbormasters of Lesser, Middle and Greater India. Fortune favored me when a dying comatose man whispered my name in the wind and here I was the capofamiglia and the ruler of all that you see” he said.

The Grand City of Alexandria was in the distance, silk caravans flocking in the gates and the restored Lighthouse towering at the harbor.

“You are destined for greatness, my only son. Before you leave for Sardinia with your Greek wife, the pretender to the Byzantine throne, write with me the continuation of our family history, so our future generations will learn from the tide of our fortune…”

visco_arc_II_3.jpg

Wow, seems like we've skipped ahead a bit. Going by the title of Arc II, I'm guessing it's a century of conquering India and controlling its trade.

Viscontis don't stop causing trouble. One even has to wage war twice against one of them before being able to sign a peace :p.

Does the restored lighthouse have as great a history as the Leaning Tower? Questions over questions... ;)

*checks dates*

Wow, that's quite a jump ahead! I'm looking forward to seeing how all this came to pass.

Wow, seems like we've skipped ahead a bit. Going by the title of Arc II, I'm guessing it's a century of conquering India and controlling its trade.

Do not be alarmed, it is merely a writing technique to break the continuing time chain and enhance it with contemporary remarks of 1323... we will follow the events that happened in the meantime dont worry ;)

(or a sophisticated way to say I wanted to make do with a writer's block I encountered ;) )

Viscontis don't stop causing trouble. One even has to wage war twice against one of them before being able to sign a peace :p.

Does the restored lighthouse have as great a history as the Leaning Tower? Questions over questions... ;)

When we get there, you will understand what happened with the two wars :p

As of the Lighthouse...hm..we will see, to be honest I merely added it as to show the wealth the Visconti had attained in a manner that they restored it, but it could also play a cryptic role, who knows... :)

Reactions:
Arc II

Chapter 1: Doge Ausonio of Alexandria (1243-1259)

Shadow of Visconti Glory and the Carousing Thereafter/ The Case of Miruts Zagwe- Pretender of Abyssynia/ Of the Refusal of Procession of the Relic of St. Mark and the Outrage Provoked/ The 4th Crusade for Jerusalem- The Shia Jihad for Persia/ The Investiture Controversy resurfaces / Ausonio indulges in Roman delicacies

“A beverage my Doge? Messer Abelino?”

The servant bowed before the men and offered a tray with two cups of wine. They looked each other, then with a motion they dismissed the offer and sat comfortably at the cushions, as was the Oriental custom which prevailed in Alexandria

“Now then…we had left our story at the part where Doge Ausonio of Alexandria, your great-grandfather had assumed office and became Head of the Visconti Family.”

He continued

“You remember he was the son of the First Grand Prince of Pisa and spymaster to Grand Prince Sinibaldo. He was a man literally born and raised in the grand halls of Pisa and he did not take kindly that he was relegated to the fringes of the Principality and namely Alexandria”

Abelino nodded and wrote in the large book of the Chronicle of the House. It contained, in a continuous link of dates, the lives of all great men of the Visconti, tracing back to the time of the first significant ancestor, Ildebrando Visconti.

Yet a question puzzled him. How could his father know of events and facts dating almost eighty years ago? He promptly asked him, as he was sure the future reader would have a similar question and belittle the truth of the text.

“My son…everything is contained in this other book here…” he said and placed upon the table, an old and almost decrepit tome. It looked as if it would fall apart even at the slightest touch.

“In this tome here, our ancestors have written their works and achievements, it has been a family heirloom. But now its purpose has been achieved… I shall take it with me when I journey again to Candradvipa in Greater India, the Edge of the World.”

“Father, is this book…”

“…yes this is the one…” he said. Abelino looked surprised

“But has this not been lost since…”

“…it had…but some of my men found it at Muscat, in Oman, when they helped restore the city into order. I will tell you another day about it, I promise.”

visco_arc_II_chapter1_1.jpg

Abelino looked perplexed. Still, as he was a patient man, as his father taught him, he continued stoically for his father’s instructions.

“Doge Ausonio of Alexandria…what a commotion he had caused. But let us record everything in a properly fashion beginning from the day he arrived in Alexandria, by ship from Pisa….”

28 August 1243

Alexandria, Egypt, Principality of Pisa

“I come from Pisa, let me enter. I am the new Doge of Alexandria, Ausonio Visconti”

I’d rather have died during the trip than tolerate the heat of this place…

The guards examined the letter and the seals which the alleged Doge brought. After inspection, they allowed him entry, before though a moment that he entered the Palace, the officer whispered to him

“Take heart…there have been better days…”

Ausonio was welcomed by a sight of despair: the walls needed urgent repair, filth and stale water were the residents of the dried fountain and the gazebo was in shambles. Ausonio expected much more from Chiano…

“My Doge, I am sorry but today was the last day of our payroll. I am afraid you will have to see other men for protection” said the guards , leaving Ausonio and his wife looking at the household in ruin.

As if I expected any better…

But Silvija Vukic, your great-grandmother, a Croatian Princess blessed with a sharp mind and ambition would not let her husband fall further into depression.

“My husband, do not let yourself be let down by the mismanagement Chiano had caused to your House: for Alexandria is a rich trade node and soon enough, through our wise stewardship, money will yet again flow into the coffers..”

Ausonio nodded with an absent mind

“There is also a solution to your political aspirations…

If you cannot go to Pisa, well, then bring Pisa here! Once we restore our plight, we will host extravagant feasts and masquerade parties and many a patrician would have liked to visit this exotic land the Visconti have been blessed with!”

To his wife’s insistence, and despite his foul mood, Ausonio heeded her advice and set as his goal in life to become a carouser and not let the Visconti fall into insignificance.

visco_arc_II_chapter1_2.jpg

In one of these balls and events, for their fame had crossed the borders of Pisa and reached even further lands, came a man of colored complexion: he introducted himself as Miruts Zagwe- Pretender of Abyssynia and only came to Doge Ausonio after the insistence of many of his court.

He was known to be a man of a kind heart, with a modest skill in accounting, but his gluttony and shyness, because of his vice, had made him the least possible candidate for the Abyssinian throne.

It came to Ausonio that this man would be the perfect opportunity to show his skills at the Council of Pisa and prove his worth in the art of intrigue: with guile, he invited Miruts to his court and promised him not only exquisite delicacies of the Occident, but also two castles in Alexandria to house himself and his wife.

The only thing he wished in exchange was for Miruts to embrace the Catholic Faith (not for his own convictions, but so he could place Miruts and Abyssynia at the spiritual jurisdiction of the Pope of Rome) and to swear allegiance to the interests of Pisa.

Miruts Zagwe found the terms acceptable and with no delay, he made himself a resident of Alexandria

visco_arc_II_chapter1_3.jpg

No sooner had Miruts settled in Alexandria, than Doge Ausonio declared war against the child king of Abyssynia for his throne.

The Council of Alexandria deemed it a wild plan, a mad plan precisely, for they did not trust Miruts to hold his end of the bargain.

Ausonio though risked it and employed the Pisan Band to march through the Fatimid Caliphate (after hefty bribes and the mercenaries being concealed as trade caravaneers) and to begin the siege of Adwa in Aksum.

visco_arcII_chapter1_4.jpg

The expedition would begin to drain the treasury of the Republic of Alexandria, as its logistical supply was quite challenging.

The Fatimid Caliph imposed heavy tolls on these frequent go abouts of the Pisan “traders” and it did not help that the Nile would not provide the bountiful harvest it was planned.

This would lead to the events of the Refusal of Procession of St. Mark, which the Book here explains…

visco_arcII_chapter1_5.jpg

Young Abelino looked into the eyes of his father, Doge Ausonio. He ran in terror when he heard from the corridor Prince-Bishop Sozzo of Qattara damning the Doge for his stubborn refusal to permit the procession of the relic of St. Mark to the farmlands near the Nile.

“So if we carry around the body of the deceased Apostle, the land will magically become fertile? Maybe if we pissed after we drank wine, it would…”

“Blasphemy!”

visco_arcII_chapter1_6.jpg

“No, my boy, listen…nobody burns in Hell. This wretched land here is Hell..."

"It is Hell when you argue with people who do not want to listen to reason, it is Hell when you feel angst for the things you cannot have. ...

"Here is Hell. But maybe…maybe… you will find the people who will make it more tolerable, as the cooling water in the dry desert. Make no mistake though it is only balm to the wound and no cure…”

Abelino, my father and your grandfather, began to model his person to the opinions of great-grandfather. The priests were none too happy but it was fortunate that the Pope of Rome had other matters to deal than the Visconti skepticism. For in 24 February 1252, the Holy Roman Emperor yet again named a Pope of his own and the German Church broke the communion with Rome, but I digress…

visco_arcII_chapter1_7.jpg

So fixed was Doge Ausonio of his convictions, that he prepared his trusted steed, Glitterhoof, to tour the farmlands near the Nile and explain to the peasants why the procession was in fact an idolatry, as the ancient peoples of the Bible worshipped the various sculptures.

The farmers were not touched by his speech…in fact they were riled up and wanted to lynch Doge Ausonio on the spot! With Glitterhoof, he attempted to outrun them, galloping past the crowd and make his escape.

It was at that moment that he swore to be a misanthrope, to loathe humans and trust only Glitterhoof with his life and his trusted advice, when Ausonio asked for it.

visco_arcII_chapter1_8.jpg

So it was that when the war was finally concluded in 31 January 1249, Miruts Zagwe was named King of Abyssinia, he thanked the Principality of Pisa for its support and placed himself under the direct control of the Grand Prince, and forgot all reference to Doge Ausonio of Alexandria.

How could he thank a madman, a man who was advised by his horse on what to do, claimed Miruts Zagwe. Ausonio was once more convinced of the folly of man.

visco_arcII_chapter1_9.jpg

It should be noted that not even a year or two had passed from the rise of Miruts on the throne, that he declared war on Pisa in collaboration with other factions for some petty demands.

He was caught and trialed and placed under life prison in the jails of Pisa, the king of Abyssinia a prisoner of the Principality of Pisa.

This gave pretext on his duke underlings to plot for the throne themselves and Abyssinia was wrecked in civil war for years to come. The enforcement of Catholicism too became a reason for the Abyssinians to feel repressed.

In the years of Doge Ausonio, religious war was rife: Pope Caelestinus IV called for the 4
th Crusade for the liberation of Jerusalem , as it was lost in the years of Grand Prince Sinibaldo of Pisa.

The Shia Caliph on his part called a Jihad for Persia against the Mongol Khagan, who ravaged his way from the Tartar plains all the way to Isfahan.

visco_arcII_chapter1_10.jpg

But none of these mattered for Doge Ausonio: his resentment for mankind and his depression lead him to seek a venue for his comfort, which he found it in consuming foodstuff from recipes the cook would prepare from the time he hosted banquets, at the request of his wife.

It did not take long for Doge Ausonio to become an obese monster himself: he was called “the Hippopotamus of Alexandria” mockingly by his enemies.

visco_arcII_chapter1_11.jpg

Alas, food would also be his downfall: for one day he asked to consume a most exquisite meal by the choice of the cook, which originated from Roman times as he said. Promptly the cook obliged and it did not take long for the meal to be presented: a fine meat with vegetables and wine.

Ausonio found great delight and asked what the meal was. Equus Mirabilis, the cook replied. The Doge’s eyes rolled.

“A Horse! You brought me a Horse! I….I … ate… Glitterhoof!! My dear friend!”

He spat the food and began sulking. Sulk then lead to tears and uncontrollable lament. He then stormed off into his room and locked himself for days, not answering to any calls of his household nor his wife.

When they barged in, they found Doge Ausonio to have taken his life, with a note asking forgiveness from the one living being who showed him utter trust and kindness...

visco_arcII_chapter1_12.jpg

Last edited:
Glitterhoof! Ausonio's reaction was the only reasonable one.

And is there anything better than subjugating a kingdom and then see it go up in flames of a civil war when it's not under your control? :D

Hang that cook for killing the great Glitterhoof! I feel terrible for the Mad Hippopotamus of Alexandria. Hopefully his meager efforts to improve his land will be continued by his descendants (considering the look into the future though, it sounds like they succeed).

Interesting to see the Kingdom of Abyssinia added to the Principality of Pisa. It may not truly be yours anymore, but it's still nice to see Pisa prosper.

i follow :)

Oh dear, the pitfalls of the lunatic trait. One of the things I fear most in CK2. Hopefully your successor hasn't inherited it... ?

Glitterhoof! Ausonio's reaction was the only reasonable one.

And is there anything better than subjugating a kingdom and then see it go up in flames of a civil war when it's not under your control? :D

If only his horse supported him , even more so at his time of peril during the mob at Quattara, it seemed logical to have a tremendous affection for it... well...sort of :)

Yes, indeed, the imprisonment of Miruts opened up a can of worms in Abyssinia and the would be Kings contend to oust the imprisoned one. Apart from that, most of the rulers adopted Catholicism quite easily!

Hang that cook for killing the great Glitterhoof! I feel terrible for the Mad Hippopotamus of Alexandria. Hopefully his meager efforts to improve his land will be continued by his descendants (considering the look into the future though, it sounds like they succeed).

Interesting to see the Kingdom of Abyssinia added to the Principality of Pisa. It may not truly be yours anymore, but it's still nice to see Pisa prosper.

Next chapter will be an answer concerning to the treatment of the cook ;)

Abyssinia into the Principality of Pisa has eased plenty of the logistics needed for the course to the Near East (and further). But it is a tense relationship...

Thanks! Welcome aboard and feel free to comment! :)

Oh dear, the pitfalls of the lunatic trait. One of the things I fear most in CK2. Hopefully your successor hasn't inherited it... ?

As most of the time the default succession law is seniority whatever Visconti ends as a lunatic, his reign is brief and does not have a detrimental effect long term...although short term, they do incite controversy ;)

Arc II
Chapter 2: Sinibaldo II Visconti (1259-1284)
Part 1: An Alexandrine Doge aspiring to Alexander the Great

“What a shame for a man, who was brought up under the most auspicious of circumstances, as the child of the First Grand Prince, to perish in such manner…”

It was evening and the sun was beginning to set. The day heat was retreating slowly and the servants began to light small candles in the center of the round tables. Outside the merchants and peddlers would pack their goods for the next day and retire , to rest for the labour following when the sun would rise once more.

A lone man playing the flute inside broke the monotony of the babble of the people. How charming and mysterious this cosmopolitan corner of the world was…

“Indeed, that is so. Your great-grandfather , whatever he was, it was cruel to be called the Hippopotamus of Alexandria or even his relationship with Glitterhoof be misunderstood. For even Alexander the Great and Bucephalus, his great warhorse, shared such a relation of amity”

Abelino took an expression of surprise

“Funy you should mention this example….”

He continued

“For our next capofamiglia was our kinsman Doge Sinibaldo II, the grandson of Grand Prince Sinibaldo, he who lost Jerusalem. Verily, he aspired to Alexander the Great and more so he even fought at the same ground as he did once ago…”

visco_arc_II_chapter2_1_1.jpg

11 January 1259

Alexandria, Principality of Pisa

“Heaven save us… what if the Court Chaplain finds out he took his own life… they will bury him at the field of the nameless and damned…”

The middle aged man reacted. His posture signified him as a man of importance.

“He won’t find it. That is a matter between me and him, and Ausonio with Him above.”

According to the laws of seniority, Sinibaldo II was summoned with haste to assume the office of Doge of Alexandria and capofamiglia of the Visconti. If you recall, he was the son of the first Duke of Aswan, the one whose loss drove Grand Prince Sinibaldo the Just to madness and the Great Fire of 25 February 1225.

His sad childhood, fleeing Aswan under duress from the invading Fatimids and hiding in Corsica until invited to Alexandria by Doge Chiano, shaped his life as a misguided warrior.

To rectify his lack of childhood focus, he would commence study in the art of war, hoping to mimic the great men of antiquity and of our times and reach their great heights with the hope, one day, to recover his homeland and the burial grounds of his immediate family.

visco_arc_II_chapter2_1_2.jpg

“I will talk to him. I will vouch with my dedication to our faith that it was depression that claimed his life and not himself. What is that thing about the horse he was writing about? Where is that damned cook?”

A chattel servant brought the cook and forced him on his knees. The man was weeping like a child

“Spare me, mighty one… I did not harm the Doge..mercy…”

Sinibaldo II peered into the eyes of the cook.

“Is it true what they say? Did you cook Glitterhoof, his favorite horse, out of deviance to trick your liege?”

The man opened his mouth in shock and covered it with both of his hands.

“My…my lord…how could I do that…Glitterhoof had died almost seven years ago…Doge Ausonio was most depressed and began calling Glitterhoof each and every horse he found…but it was not THE Glitterhoof that we all knew..”

visco_arc_II_chapter2_1_3.jpg

Sinibaldo II looked around him at the assembled household. At first, they did not know how to react, as Ausonio and Sinibaldo II both hailed from the same noble House. But then, slowly, they began to nod in agreement, once they saw that their frank opinion would not be punished. In return, Sinibaldo II as well nodded with understanding and clemency.

The condition of Doge Ausonio was known almost to all and the betrayal of Miruts Zagwe did not help to cure it. What irony that Miruts was now a prisoner who languished in the dungeons of Pisa under accusation of high treason against the Grand Prince…

In the end the new Doge took no action against the cook, he had no qualms with the man after all. And as of the reason of the death of Doge Ausonio, he convinced the Court Chaplain to cloak the incident under the pretext of grief and he was spared the punishment of being buried nameless and damned for taking his own life.

It goes without saying that in our own version of the Chronicle, we will not present in such light our own ancestor… a simple remark on the sadness caused by the betrayal of Miruts is enough.

--

The day Sinibaldo II took office he already had two adult children and a youngling: the firstborn was named after him, and his father, Sinibaldo III, a man of intrigue and the cloak and the second one was Gianfranco, a fortune builder, but a stutter.

It was Gianfranco though, the secondborn, whom Doge Sinibaldo II chose to be his heir, should he die in an untimely manner and this as a reward for handling the outrages of the Shia Caliph, who wanted to tear down the Visconti port monopoly in Aswan

visco_arc_II_chapter2_1_4.jpg

It seems the universal language of money did its wonder, for a man of the ilk of Gianfranco, a man of skill but shy, zealous and an obvious stutter would have had severe problems negotiating under any different terms…

Meanwhile our Grand Principality waged a Holy War on its own to the west of Africa for Tlemcen, with the prospect of expanding the Mare Nostrum to the western portion of the Mediterranean.

Indeed, the success of the Kingdoms of Spain and Aquitaine against the Moors capitalized into expansion at areas which were traditionally Mohammedan. Christian lords were more acceptable after all to the terms of the Principality of Pisa than the feuding Muslims with their whims.

visco_arc_II_chapter2_1_5.jpg

Doge Sinibaldo II was blessed to have as his Chancellor your grandfather Abelino, who was a master in the arts of diplomacy, a grey eminence. He served for years to come, as Chancellor, until he too was elected as Doge of the Republic of Alexandria.

visco_arc_II_chapter2_1_6.jpg

At the days of Sinibaldo II, he was freshly trained and had only recently returned from his assignment: to survey the lands of Persia and Khorasan, as they had been shaped by the incursion of the Mongol Empire.

The Mongol Empire of the West collapses

To the surprise of the court of the Republic, the Mongol Empire had exhausted itself in a series of tribal feuds, with its only noteworthy achievement being the conquest of Persia.

According to Abelino, the Mongol Khagans were appeased by the philosophy of the Brahmans and the magic they displayed, making their idols talk and respond to questions.

The word of God had not reached these people yet and in a magic duel between the Hindu Brahmans and the Tengri Shamans, a religion that they followed, the former were victorious and amazed the Mongol leaders.

Yet with their change of religion, the Mongols became placent and in a gambling risky duel, the Mongol Khagan was defeated by an Uyghur Chieftain by the name of Kopti, who broke the Empire in two. Kopti though paid with his life his people’s independence and was rendered incapable some days after.

visco_arc_II_chapter2_1_7.jpg

This was not the last of ill news for the Mongols: for some days later the Shia Jihad for Persia resolved and the Caliph proclaimed the victory of the followers of Shia against the Mongol idolaters. A core of Islam was once again returned to its rightful hands.

visco_arc_II_chapter2_1_8.jpg

Otherwise, the situation in the Middle East remained volatile as ever: during the heyday of the Mongol Empire, the troops of the Khagan shattered the Seljuk Sultanate, which collapsed between the troops of the Khagan and a Decadence Revolt Movement.

Nominal Sultan of Persia remained a Seljuk dynast, with scattered holdings, while Sultan of Mesopotamia was announced a prominent fighter of the Decadence Revolt movement by the name of Annazid.

--

With these geopolitical events, it was evident that the road to the east was clear, save for the ever present Shia Caliphate menace. Doge Sinibaldo II prepared himself for the day he would reclaim his rightful Duchy of Aswan and perhaps go the east, as his role model Alexander once did.

He would practice war even at games, particularly a specific game which originated in Persia by the name of ‘chess’. However, misguided as he was, he took wrong advice and lost quite a few games.

visco_arc_II_chapter2_1_9.jpg

Yet these preparations were misunderstood by the Grand Prince Davide d’Appiano ‘the Mad’. As Doge Sinibaldo II was Doge- Elect and Marshal of Pisa, the Grand Prince believed that he would commence a coup, just as Chiaffredo Visconti the Serene Doge once had did.

It did not help that a civil war to lower the authority of the Grand Prince was underway and Doge Sinibaldo II had to put up with many of the the Grand Prince’s eccentricities.

visco_arc_II_chapter2_1_10.jpg

The situation was dire enough. Grand Prince Davide was on the verge of prosecuting Sinibaldo II as a traitor and collaborator with the Ethiopian King, when the opportunity to escape arose when Abelino Visconti, the Chancellor of Alexandria, procured the documents that granted to Sinibaldo II complete jurisdiction over the city of Muscat in the corner of the Arabian peninsula, as the Visconti trade made it a frequent port of call.

Thus the Alexandrian Claim on Muscat began on December 1266, the city where il Libro was finally unearthed in our days.

visco_arc_II_chapter2_1_11.jpg

“When will we get at this part of the story?” said Abelino. A yawn escaped his mouth; it was nightfall already, perhaps even midnight.

“I will tell you all I know, but another day my son. Come, tomorrow I will tell you how Sinibaldo II our kinsman fared when he was elected as Grand Prince of Pisa and Davide ‘the Mad’ was history”

As they exited from the Oriental caravanserai, they took a glimpse of the Pharos of Alexandria shining brightly, a beacon of light at the darkness. It would forever stand as a symbol of Visconti resourcefulness and ambition to restore the city into one of the major ports of the world.

Last edited:
The Mongol Empire did surprisingly poorly here. Looks like they'll be a footnote in Europe's history.

The family who forged the Principality is now branded as traitors once they've been kicked from the top, accused of working with the kingdom they helped add to the republic and received nothing... The Visconti ancestors are weeping over this betrayal.

Reactions:
The Mongols really were underwhelming this time... at least they brought the end of the Seljuks.

And while the great houses of Pisa have their ambitions, their Glitterhooves, the Caetani are just minding their own little business.

Reactions:
Being publicly denounced as a traitor can't be endearing Sinibaldo II to the rest of the Pisans. Are any of the other families making headway in the Mare Nostrum?

Indeed, it would have been a grave danger if not for fate and human nature (?) that intervened... ;)

The Mare Nostrum is pretty much divided by the houses, the Alliata are the most rich because they own the coast of the Tyrrhenian Sea , the d'Appiano and della Gherardesca mostly base their ports around Africa and the Caetani...well..they hold some ports near Ascalon and Jaffa. But due to the turmoil in the region, the area is not as lucrative as it would seem.

I will of course, when we reach our date the 1320s, post a world interlude and fill in the gaps :)

The Mongol Empire did surprisingly poorly here. Looks like they'll be a footnote in Europe's history.

The family who forged the Principality is now branded as traitors once they've been kicked from the top, accused of working with the kingdom they helped add to the republic and received nothing... The Visconti ancestors are weeping over this betrayal.

Yes, I believe the religion conversion of the Mongols stopped their momentum...they also had a fixation with Perm and missed plenty of opportunities. Perhaps the Iron Horde will amend things, if they appear?

Of the betrayal I didnt expect any less, fortunately the Visconti have their presence rooted in Pisa and would not be so easy to remove without a fight!

The Mongols really were underwhelming this time... at least they brought the end of the Seljuks.

And while the great houses of Pisa have their ambitions, their Glitterhooves, the Caetani are just minding their own little business.

I think its a common complain, gamewise, for the Mongols to be undewhelming...maybe the Seljuks were too powerful and it was a clash of titans. If the Iron Horde spawns, we will see...

The Caetani will get their lucky moment but I am afraid as long as they switch from Catholic to Fraticelli, they wont earn their bread...though the pie is pretty much divided now. If Pisa reclaims anything in the Holy Land, I will be generous and help them out ;)

Arc II
Chapter 2
Part 2
Sinibaldo II becomes Grand Prince/ Across the Red Sea to the Gulf of Oman/ Rivalry with the della Gherardesca/ Grand Prince Sinibaldo II reclaims Aswan

visco_arc_II_chapter2_2_1.jpg

12 June 1269

The Leaning Tower, City of Pisa

“Look…Look!!! The evidence is here, can you not see?!”

It was a typical summer morning in Pisa when the entourage of the Grand Prince unlocked the door to the Leaning Tower of Pisa, its doors sealed by the later Grand Princes following Chiaffredo Visconti the Condottiero for safety reasons.

‘Safety reasons of the public’. A catch all phrase to warn the residents both for their potential hazard due to the curve of the Tower, long ago constructed by Doge Pietro II Visconti, almost two hundred years ago and , more importantly, the connection that Tower had with the ominous events of the Great Fire.

“Devil worship my Grand Prince… here, a pentacle engraved on the foundation stone… how could we have been so blind?”

The priest began to chant and bless with holy water the Tower. The echoes of the holy ritual doubled his voice and it was as if thunder had erupted inside.

They catiously proceeded upon the roof of the Tower. In full sight, the city of Pisa sprawled and it was as if time had not touched this part of the closed edifice. For sure, the furniture were covered with blankets, but there were no spider webs nor dust, to signify the place as unused

“Careful Grand Prince Davide…watch your step…”

“Here…and here…Grand Prince Sinibaldo was an alchemist! And you expect the grandson of this devil spawn to be elected as Grand Prince?!”

The Grand Prince’s eyes gleamed at the evidence he had uncovered. Already, he envisaged the Doge of Alexandria being in trial as a warlock’s progeny and his candidateship being forfeit. He too knew how to play the game….and the d’Appiano could share the wealth of the Visconti and Alexandria to those he would favor and accept their eternal gratitude.

He was lost in thoughts and the potentials which unraveled before him. He placed his hands upon the wooden rail and enjoyed the view of the Grand City.

“My Grand Prince…the height… these rails have not been repaired since…”

“Stop your nagging; I am not a child… I am…”

Suddenly, he touched his chest as he felt an excruciating pain of a hundred swords striking him. Each sword thrust mercilessly upon him, his eyes burning at the experience. He began to feel his hands being numbed and his voice being reduced to a squeak. The chanting of the priest buzzed his ears, feeling his head would explode. Then, he felt a blinding light and the vision of a monster with tentacles grasping upon a globe overwhelmed his mind and Pisa was in flames. A large single eye was piercing inside his thoughts, his emotions, his life…

What was happening to him? Was he dying?

From the vertigo of the illusions he could hear voices trailing off

“Now is the time. I am done with his lunacies, we should throw him from here once and for all!”

“Kill the Grand Prince?! Are you insane? We should not interefere in earthly matters…but if we could… what about the priest below?”

“Don’t worry…I will take care of him…”

Before he could understand the meaning of the dialogue, the two men suddenly changed their shape into beings undescribable… their clothes lay tarnished here and there and with lightning speed, they disappeared from the room. Then he heard a cry of agony, just at the moment the priest was chanting “Vade Retro…”

“Do you not wonder what you have seen…is it illusion or a reality? Were you mad by human standards or did you sense what is bound to happen? Either way… this is the end for you here…”

The sickening crack of the woods retreating under the burden of the weight of the Grand Prince was heard. In broad daylight, the people pointed as a figure descended with gravity at the cobbled streets. They soon found out who the person was…
4 July 1269

Muscat, Oman, Abbasid Caliphate

“The white flag of surrender! The garrison asks to surrender!”

The cheer of the besiegers echoed into the valley while the first bastion of Muscat had fallen to the Alexandrine troops. Doge Sinibaldo II Visconti had chosen the right time both to launch his attack and escape from the viper nest of Pisa: had he stalled another day, the Grand Prince would have imprisoned him under the grounds of treason and what else forged accusation he had in his troubled mind.

It would take some time for the Abbasid Caliphate to reorganize its troops and contest the Doge: for the Caliph was occupied in the Sunni coalition war against the Shia Caliph, who arrogantly declared Holy War for Khorasan, wishing to restablish Shia belief in the entire Persian domain. He also had on his hands an internal revolt for some petty reason and all in all, multiple fronts to fend off the gambit of the Visconti.

“A message for the Doge!”

The ships approached the flagship of the Alexandrine fleet: it was nothing too amazing as most of the ships were conscripted merchant vessels.

The Doge was a reserved man and only accepted the messages from his trusted chosen ones. The hanging accusations also made him more cautious, should an assassin of the d’Appiano make his way onto the flagship…

“Great news my lord!! The people of Pisa and the Great Houses have elected you as the new Grand Prince! Davide the Mad must have had…a fit of depression it seems…”

visco_arc_II_chapter2_2_2.jpg

How many Grand Princes have passed since Sinibaldo I, his grandfather? Countless number and of little importance. All were senile men, elected only because the next day they would croak and die. Here now, a man with ambition and aspiration was captain of the flagship of Pisa and thanks to him, Pisa would enter boldly at the marketplaces of Lesser and Greater India…

The neighboring realms had taken advantage of the late Grand Prince’s mental illness and Grand Prince Sinibaldo II Visconti inherited with the Principality two ongoing wars: the Duke of Provence claimed some holdings of his demesne from Pisa and more importantly, the Holy Roman Emperor fought for the County of Brescia, by law a part of the Duchy of Lombardy.

Fortunately these wars, despite the gravity of their name, were concluded most successfully with the use of hired arms. It should be noted that at the last stages of Grand Prince Davide’s life, perhaps the only logical thing he did, he formed an alliance with the Basileia Rhomaion, tipping the scales of war to his side.

visco_arc_II_chapter2_2_3.jpg

Of course it was not surprising when Grand Prince Sinibaldo II with the might of the Principality speeded up his conquest of Muscat and by August 1271, it was a Pisan possession. The Orient was coming closer to the Maritime Principality and the Visconti only a grasp away from their family creed: to the edge of the world.

The Catholic Church was most delighted to bring the people of the Arabian Peninsula to the True Faith: rumors of an island nearby which still had Christians proved to be false and the priests took the opportunity to convert the populace to their religion. Convents, religious schools, all found fertile ground in Muscat and the Major Silk Road City established made the Grand Prince a man richer than even the wildest dreams.

visco_arc_II_chapter2_2_4.jpg

But gold and success brings envy and there were no few times that the Visconti had been the target of jealousy: it did hurt however when the instigator was one of the Great Houses which was benefacted by the Visconti a long time ago by granting them dominion over Amalfi. These were the della Gherardesca, who sought to find ways to minimize the Visconti victories.

Indeed, in their bid to make Amalfi a competitive center of trade and make it the port of call instead of the island of Sardinia, to the end node of Pisa, Doge Innocenzo ‘the Hunter’ copied the tactics of Doge Ausonio: he announced a grand three days feast filled with hunting in the nearby woods to celebrate the prosperity of House della Gherardesca. Everyone received an invitation…except the Grand Prince Sinibaldo II.

“Is it possible for a Ball to be arranged without the first amongst equals? The nerve of the della Gherardesca… I shall go there and demand explanations in person!”’

visco_arc_II_chapter2_2_5.jpg

The Grand Prince Sinibaldo II made his way with haste to Amalfi and the Palazzo della Gherardesca. He still could not believe how the Doge neglected to send an invitation to his House, if not out of maleficence.

He stormed past the guards and announced his presence

“Innocenzo! Innocenzo della Gherardesca!”

The music and loud voices overshadowed his call. Suddenly he began to feel the pang of his shyness creeping in, regretting the fact that temper overcame his patience. But it was an affront he could not forgive…

“May I see your invitation please?”

Grand Prince Sinibaldo II lost it… he may have been the Grand Prince but he was also bound by law, which he had trespassed into stepping in uninvited into a residence. He realized immediately the deception of the della Gherardesca, which he noted with hope of redemption.

visco_arc_II_chapter2_2_6.jpg

The Grand Ball of the della Gherardesca was a huge success and on everyone’s lips was the childish behavior of the Grand Prince to barge in without invitation and his humiliating exit.

But Sinibaldo had no said the last word: immediately he made way for preparing an even greater Ball, right in the heart of the Principality: in Pisa. The majestic Palazzo Visconti was renovated anew and he invited entertainers of all kinds: troubadours from Aquitane and France, jugglers, flame-eaters, exotic Ethiopians, even an Indian faqir who slept upon a bed of nails!

visco_arc_II_chapter2_2_7.jpg

It was an amazing event such like Europe had never seen. What made matters even more interesting was that the Ball was a masquerade and the Grand Prince hid behind an ornate mask and as such did not feel the pressure of the people’s eyes staring at him.

Yet someone was mumbling in the corner of the room, criticizing the extravagant display of Visconti wealth and how the Visconti actually sought to displace the elections of the Principality with the hereditary laws of the feudal kingdoms and empires.

Reminds me of someone… and that beard…he could not have grown that himself unless he was a Greek monk upon a mountain…

visco_arc_II_chapter2_2_8.jpg

With the della Gherardesca humiliated and the Visconti having the last laugh, Grand Prince Sinibaldo II felt encouraged like never before and decided to reclaim his personal birthright: his patrimonial lands of Aswan.

Caliph Bashir ‘the Magnificent’ had been defeated by the Sunni Coalition, in his attempt to wrestle Khorasan for the Shias. What is more, he was dealing with a revolt against his rule, as the recently conquered Persian Emirs had become exhausted from the occupation of foreign rulers. In that moment, the Grand Prince decided to make his move and strategize the forces of the Principality against the traditional archenemy of Pisa: the Shia Caliphate

visco_arc_II_chapter2_2_9.jpg

The Caliphate was taken by surprise: immediately the Mamelukes were conscripted but they could do nothing against the Holy Orders under the banner of Pisa, who took revenge for the slaughter of the Shia Jihad for Jerusalem. At each battle, the Fatimids were defeated and the Caliph had no other choice… Aswan returned again under Pisan and more importantly Visconti domain.

The sacrilege was lifted, the place where Duke Sinibaldo of Aswan was buried was once again Pisan- Visconti. When he entered Aswan, all the memories of him fleeing and seeing behind the Fatimids torching to the ground the Italian quarters and every construct of the Pisans brought him tears… who could have known that the unlikely courtier in Doge Ausonio’s household would one day not only become Grand Prince but also restore the lost lands of Aswan?

visco_arc_II_chapter2_2_10.jpg

5 years after the reconquest of Aswan

What could one write about the events before 9 October 1280? They were filled with petty demands, personal clashes but also with many marvelous inventions which would set Pisa ahead of time in military technology.

visco_arc_II_chapter2_2_11.jpg

But none of these mattered as much, in comparison with a sealed scroll which bore the Papal Bull itself, requesting that Grand Prince Sinibaldo II Visconti appears before the College of Cardinals and the Pope himself….

Last edited:
Return to Rome - never a good sign. Return to Aswan - a good sign.

Each time that even greater ball concerns someone with a beard, I don't want to imagine it :rolleyes:.