• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Prime Minister's Questions; House of Commons. 1952.

‘Mr Speaker,

‘Continually, the Prime Minister has declined the opportunity to deny emphatically his support of the reactionary elements within the Conservative Party who continue to plague us with illiberal, dogmatic legislation and policy.

Members interject.

‘I therefore ask again: Will the a Prime Minister put the minds of the British people to rest and state in no uncertain terms that his is not a government of fetishistic atavism,—

Members interject

‘—but a pragmatic and sensible government that will use its powers to conserve

Labour jeering

‘—the ancient liberties of the British people?’

1952 Budget
3RSLLgS.png

Mr. Speaker,
The Rt. Hon Member for Wigan recently presented a private member's bill concerning investigations on British Citizens with a base around their ideological convictions of Communism. This is the proof that there still today, within the ruling Conservative Party, are fascist elements that want to limit democracy. During the war, together with our brethren from the Soviet Union, we fought against these ideas and this tyranny. Today, these elements are ruling the Tory Party, and have their voice heard inside the government. The Conservatives are talking about a threat. It would seem like the current government, capitalists as they are, feel threatened by the progression and engagement of the workers of their own country. That is a sign that we are gaining in strength and numbers.

In Spain and Afghanistan, the worker's cause triumphed. It is our aim that the same thing happen in Britain, giving the workers control over the means of production and ending the current order. The same party talks about the Soviet Union being totalitarian. Of course they are opposed to the URSS, as they promote and aid the workers across the world. These fascist ideas is what is the base for their support of the British Empire. That imperialist empire needs to be brought to an end, but currently the Labour Party is collaborating with the fascists in order to preserve it. Their reactionary oppression is something the CPBG shall continue to fight against, both in and outside Parliament!

- Jarlath Connor, Communist MP for East London

"Mr. Speaker,

There you have it. An agent of Stalin preaching the destruction of British democracy and the permanent removal of personal freedom on the basis of an ill guided system of beliefs."

Members interject.

"Mr. Speaker, an inquiry is not the unjust imprisonment of peoples. Mr. Speaker, a court case is not the removal of democracy. Mr. Speaker, the suspicion of dangerous demagogues does not constitute the will to create an Orwellian state."

Members interject.

"Mr. Speaker, the I admire the convictions of my shadows opposite, what I wish this White Paper to be is not the complete destruction of the British way of life and established rights. I want to establish precedent for dealing with subversive elements that may or may not be engaging in active sabotage during a time of peace. Except for the Left Honourable Member from Leningrad South, Mr. Speaker, there is no existential threat to this House or the persons that reside in it."

Members interject.

Mr. Speaker,
it would seem like the Rt. Hon Member for Wigan has forgotten the election results. I'm not alone in my fight in Parliament, only the Deputy Secretary in the Commons of a group composed of 5 members, all elected by Britons who wish to see change and a rupture with the capitalist order your party represents together with the Liberals and Labour direction, as well as the fascist tendencies they wish to oust from Britain once and for all. I'm proud to have the support and be a friend to the most technologically and economically advanced country in the world. The government is proud to be vassals of the U.S, the most imperialist and oppressive power in the world. What the Rt. Hon Member for Wigan has suggested clearly goes against the principles of democracy, and is an attempt to, in scare for the will of the workers, try to limit the common will and monitor specific convictions.

((Members ought to constantly interject when I speak, given that I only have 5 "supporters" :p))

"God", said Johnny as he looked through reports on the Tory backbench, "I've never been so bored since I've entered opposition."

___

Dear Rt. Honourable Dr. Bennett MP,

In terms of the new PMQs, I think it is in our best interest that you ask why administrative and education spending are not at their fullest potential when the treasury finds itself in surplus. I will return with reports from further investigations later, in the meantime, good luck in Westminster.
Johnny Staines,
Labour Party Director of Communications

Mr. Speaker,
I find this argument over the White Paper a sign that the Opposition does not actually read the bills presented by this government. The Opposition acts as though this White Paper states that the government will dismantle the freedoms and liberties of the British people, yet it merely stipulates an investigation of communist influence within our fair nation. It seeks not to impose anything upon the people, but rather to answer a question that has been ignored for too long. We have already seen the dangers of this ideology, leading to violent revolution in Spain. While I understand that the Labour Party prefers to jump headlong into the thick of things, as they did with the debacle that was India, the Conservative Party prefers to seek information on such matters and ensure that the government and people are properly informed of issues before seeking a solution. An investigation should be conducted so that the government is better suited to deal with the threat that is communism.

Mr. Speaker, comparisons between the fascists of yesterday and the communists of today have been brought up and dismissed by Labour, believing the situation to be different. I beg to differ. I will remind the Opposition that Hitler and his cronies were at first allowed to act without interference by the British people, and look what happened there. That is eerily similar to recent events. Was it not the fascists of this world who supported their brethren in Spain's civil war, fuelling the conflict and leading to a fascist government in Madrid? Now we see the Soviet Union spark revolt in Spain to serve their own needs, placing a communist puppet in Western Europe. I also recall a time when Hitler, ever the ambitious man, marched into the Sudetenland of Czechoslovakia and we let him in the hopes of preserving peace. Now the Soviets march into Afghanistan without interference. As the saying goes, those who do not learn from history are failed to repeat it. Perhaps next we will see the Soviets move into Western Germany or even France, just as the Nazis went after Poland. Ignoring the viable threat that communism presents will only harm Britain in the future.

Mr. Speaker, I am certain that some may ask what this has to do with communists within our own country when I speak of international affairs. Just as the fascists spread across Europe, so did they attempt to undermine our own nation from within. Why can the same not be said for the communists in Britain when their brethren in Moscow threaten the state of international affairs through their support of violent revolution and their invasion of neutral powers? This concern warrants attention. Perhaps we shall discover that Communist Party within our nation is indeed entirely loyal to state and independent of Moscow, and if that is the case I will be greatly relieved. However, we cannot ignore the potential threat here. An investigation should be conducted, if only to clear up any questions and concerns that have arisen surrounding the communist ideology as it spreads across the world like a virulent plague.

- Maxwell Macpherson, Tory MP for Bolton, Minister of Agriculture, Fisheries, & Food

Hello all, voting is below. PMQs should be posted tomorrow. I've noticed some slowdown, it could be one of a few things. 1. It's just a weird time of year. 2. My IAAR could have some secret flaw that makes it boring at some point. 3. The time period. I won't claim to know the reason, but I'm sure you can all provide advice. The government has been also been a bit lazy (no, not you Dardarian), and maybe that's a tad contributive. Anyway...

Indian Reform Bill of 1952
  • Conservative: Three-line Whip (suggested yes)
  • Labour: Free Vote
Budget of 1952

• Conservative: Three-line Whip (Yes)
    • Labour: Three-line Whip (No)
Voting closes Friday at 6 PM. Maybe a mini-update to get things rolling before that.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Indian Reform Bill of 1952: No
Budget of 1952: No

[Politician]
[No Bonus]

Last edited:
((Labour has a free vote on the India bill.))

Indian Reform Bill of 1952: Yes
Budget of 1952: Yes

[Politician]
[Privy Councillor: +2PP]

- Maxwell Macpherson, Tory MP for Bolton, Minister of Agriculture, Fisheries, & Food

Indian Reform Act: No

[Politician]
[Labour Party Leader + 3 PP, Social Warrior +1 PP]

Indian Reform Bill of 1952: Yes
Budget of 1952: Yes

[Politician]
[Privy Councillor: +2PP, Tory Big Man: +1PP]

Indian Reform Act: No

[Bureaucrat]

[Marketing Man +1 PP]

November 8, Rangoon

Stavros had been gone for days now, Gifford had sent him with several men to conduct operations in the countryside while coordinating efforts from the city. However, he was two days late with the latest sortie. The either meant nothing or the worst. Gulping down water the MI6 operative wiped the sweat off his brow, November was considered one of the so called “cool” months but considering how warm it was outside this was bloody ridiculous.

Eventually Stavros would abruptly appear, uniform torn with a smell that reeked of sweat, gunpowder and death. Mansfield mused this was one of his better days.

“What you got for me?” The Lieutenant had issued a cigarette to the exhausted basterd.

“We got several leads to some of the insurgent heads and acted upon a couple, while we didn’t find any leaders we did run into a few agitators in nice groups for us to arrest, any who put up a fight were cut down. Rarely did we take any wounded in for interrogation.”

“Any casualties?”

“None sir, just men who want hot showers and good food.” Stavros gave a curt nod.

“You get 48 hours mate. We need to keep going, London wants results to stave off a potential disaster. Wouldn’t want Presley hung out to dry here, or literally hung for that matter.” A morbid, though slightly amusing thought. Mansfield had respected the man but found the notion of deploying weapons of the non-conventional variety to be highly suspect.

“You coming with us this time around? I can only imagine Rangoon is…what do you call it? Dreadfully boring Giffy.”

“Don’t call me that.”

“Sir yes sir.”

For the next several days it would be more of the same, covert anti-insurgency operations would indeed net more and more hostile individuals but try as they might there wasn’t any big fish caught. The only good news out of this was that while their maneuvers have failed to detain any high ranking targets, it served to disrupt them and force them further underground. However, the side-effect of this was the enemy became that much more elusive.

Terrorist_in_Malaya.jpg

This all changed on November 21st when Aung San’s second in command became disillusioned and decided to cut a deal with the British. In exchange for a commonwealth, the prevention of the communist party from participating in any election and the premiership itself U Nu accepted the deal and gave up the exact location of Aung San.

November 22, Shan Countryside

It would be dawn soon, Gifford had quickly recalled his men and stitched together a group of seven for the critical operation. It could tip the balance in their favor in Burma in eliminating a key agitator and communist sympathizer. At long last they had found Aung San’s exact location in the Shan Countryside. Everyone was issued a Webley 38 Mk. IV although Gifford decided to stick with his Colt M1911 pistol, it was a gift that had saved him on two occasions. The village was rather remote, no map would reveal it but it did not matter. A contact had confirmed the precise structure Aung San was residing in. There were no enemy patrols and guards were rather sparse. Probably to not give away any hint of a valued target or to draw any unwanted attention.

The plan would be to sneak up to the house and attack from the front and backdoor using silenced Sten Mk. 2 sub machineguns. In the event of enemy reinforcements the order would be to go loud as Stavros would cover the group’s escape with the coveted Lewis Gun. The heavy machinegun was actually on loan for this operation, a result of Gifford’s bribery of the requisitions officer back at Rangoon.

As they reached the target under the fleeing cover of night, Mansfield would take point at the front door giving the signal to enter. The whole affair would last a mere 8 seconds. Aung had been sleeping on the floor along with some of his closest confidants with two men acting as sentries. The moment they had raised their weapons the guards had given away their position to be gunned down with hardly a sound. Bullets flew filling the hapless men with lead, the group would search the bodies looking to identify their valued target. Kneeling over one of the corpses, Mansfield identified the man they had been searching for, his chest gushing out blood from three bullet wounds with another to the neck.

Hurrying out Stavros seemed quite dejected that he could not use his burrowed toy but as a demolitions expert he would always find other amusements to muck about in, Gifford was certain.

IMG_0004

Several months later the men had fully expected to depart Burma and head off to either Afghanistan or even Spain to resume their focus against the Communists. However, this was not to be. Gifford’s contact in Greece, the head of Athens station Nigel Clive had broken the news to him. Following the Third Panglong Conference, the ethnonational independence of Shan and Kayin occurred, two states unaffiliated with the Statue of Westminster. Privately there were rumors that the Burmese Dominion, despite Prime Minister U Nu’s efforts, was disintegrating. With Soviet moves alarming the West, there would be no departure from this front not if The Raj wanted to be potentially surrounded by hostile governments. Mansfield and his men were to stay for the duration, returning to the homeland remained a rather distant dream.

India Bill: No
Budget: No

[Privy Councillor: +2 PP]
[Colonial Erudite: +1 PP]

India Bill: Yes
Budget: Yes

[Bureaucrat]
[Field Chief +1 PP]

Voting delayed until 8 PM EST --get any orders in before then.