• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

ade2b18dcf1b56087db4f91d2da179d6_zpsvwpt1jy3.jpg

New Society to get new host
PARRIS Marr will step down as presenter of controversial current affairs programme New Society at the end of the current series, the Radio Times can confirm. Marr, 47, who is also editor of New Statesman, released a statement yesterday via BBC2 in which he thanked viewers for their support during the past five years and took the opportunity to express his admiration for the manner in which the public so readily took to the programme and its aims.

Marr will be replaced as presenter for the show's six series, to start in Autumn, by Jonathan Miller, recently of Beyond the Fringe.

radical legislation came in the form of environmental regulations

((Yes, coast guards and parks are so very radical :rolleyes:))

The Conservatives pride themselves on their foreign policy, and yet they make an utter mess of it. They pride themselves on preserving Britain's independence, yet are determined to cede it to the French at any cost. They pride themselves on their dedication to preserving the Empire, yet fail to maintain even the Commonwealth.

Thus, my questions to the Prime Minister and the Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs; will this government take independent action to mend the deteriorating situation in the nations that constitute our Commonwealth? Will they dedicate any effort to maintaining Britain's position as a major independent world power, or are they content with being an extension of the White House's influence? And finally, what are their plans (if they have any) to establish Britain as a leading political and economic power within the EEC?

"Mr. Speaker, it is incredible that the Labour Party, who boasted so greatly on giving away the Empire, now think they can lecture this government on preserving it's Imperial power. Imagine how difficult the Rt. Hon Gentleman's job would be if he actually had any principles and was forced to stick to them!

We have not made a mess of Foreign Policy, as entry to the EEC was a task that Labour never could have achieved - and we, unlike Labour, do not consider sticking our noses into the business of every nation south of the Equator and east of Athens as a responsible Foreign Policy. We were handed a rotten foreign standing on the first day of Government; the United Kingdom's decline as an international power is on the Labour Party's conscience, not mine, and we have been going to great lengths to recover the country's standing through our entry to the EEC and making sure we are at the heart of European politics."

((That was meant to be somewhat sarcastic.))

((Ah, that explains a lot xD))

"Mr. Speaker, it is incredible that the Labour Party, who boasted so greatly on giving away the Empire, now think they can lecture this government on preserving it's Imperial power. Imagine how difficult the Rt. Hon Gentleman's job would be if he actually had any principles and was forced to stick to them!

We have not made a mess of Foreign Policy, as entry to the EEC was a task that Labour never could have achieved - and we, unlike Labour, do not consider sticking our noses into the business of every nation south of the Equator and east of Athens as a responsible Foreign Policy. We were handed a rotten foreign standing on the first day of Government; the United Kingdom's decline as an international power is on the Labour Party's conscience, not mine, and we have been going to great lengths to recover the country's standing through our entry to the EEC and making sure we are at the heart of European politics."

Mr. Speaker, it is well known that the Conservatives were ardent critics of Labour's policy of progressive decolonisation. Yet, not only did they continue releasing nations into our Commonwealth - no bad thing by any means, yet slightly hypocritical - but on top of that they managed to lose control of said Commonwealth, failing to exert the level of oversight and guidance which was, critically so, provided by Labour.

And thus I repeat my question, or one of them at least, hoping that our Prime Minister is more capable of handling questions one at a time. How does the government intend to regain our position as Protector of the Commonwealth and aid its constituent nations (those in Africa in particular) in restoring order?

New Statesman

The Week-end Review
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

VOL. LXIII • No. 1846 — MONDAY • 5 SEPTEMBER 1966 — NINEPENCE
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

OUTRAGE IN AN ERA OF GOOD TIMES

CONTENTS

Outrage in an Era of Good Times, by Parris Marr

In an excoriating essay, editor Parris Marr decries the stagnation of social reform since the last election and puts forward the case for an alternative view of the so-called ‘Era of Good Times’ as one of torpor, lethargy and decline.
Neurasthenia and the British Mind in the Twentieth Century, by Bernadine Bishop

Author and psychotherapist Bernadine Bishop analyses the British public consciousness in an age of political exhaustion the decline of Britain as a world power in an original and expostulating attack on today's Britain.
The Unwanting Metropole, by V. S. Naipaul

Novelist V. S. Naipaul puts forward the case for maintaining and strengthening Britain's links with the Commonwealth at a time when its existence is being more overlooked than ever before.
Revisiting Humanity and the Law, by Jeremy Hutchinson, QC

Expanding on ideas first put forward in 1960's Manifesto for a Humane Society, queen's counsellor Jeremy Hutchinson examines what progress has been made in liberalising the judicial and penal systems since the start of the decade – and argues that much greater efforts are still needed.
Censorship: Tragedy and Farce, by Dame Peggy Ashcroft

Actress Dame Peggy Ashcroft attacks the continued survival of theatre censorship, arguing passionately for the liberation of the stage from government control.
Representation and Democracy, by Hon. Anthony Wedgewood Benn

Former Labour minister Anthony Wedgewood Benn makes the case for expanding the franchise to 18-year-olds as a means of revitalising our democratic process and giving long-overdue representation to an engaged and thoughtful section of the population.
The Pathetic Satirist, by Kingsley Amis

This wry short story from renowned author Kingsley Amis puts the art of modern satire under the microscope, dissecting the pathos extant in a trade that today deals mostly in self-deprecation.
The Architecture of Good Times, by Ian Nairn

Architectural writer and polemicist Ian Nairn provides a blistering account of a nation in decline in this essay, written following a journey around a Britain waking uneasily from the post-war architectural dream. Nairn's melancholy prose reminds us of the need to consider design and community along with politics.
The Culture of Good Times, by Anthony Burgess

Author, academic and literary critic Anthony Burgess paints a portrait of an improbable cultural boom in Britain, arguing for the need for other areas of society to take inspiration from developments in the arts.

Also including essays by Cordelia Bonner, Anthony Crosland, David Frost, Denis Healey, Christopher Logue, Jonathan Miller, Vanessa Redgrave, Earl Russell, A. J. P. Taylor and Shirley Williams

((Ah, that explains a lot xD))

Mr. Speaker, it is well known that the Conservatives were ardent critics of Labour's policy of progressive decolonisation. Yet, not only did they continue releasing nations into our Commonwealth - no bad thing by any means, yet slightly hypocritical - but on top of that they managed to lose control of said Commonwealth, failing to exert the level of oversight and guidance which was, critically so, provided by Labour.

And thus I repeat my question, or one of them at least, hoping that our Prime Minister is more capable of handling questions one at a time. How does the government intend to regain our position as Protector of the Commonwealth and aid its constituent nations (those in Africa in particular) in restoring order?

"Mr. Speaker, the Rt. Hon. Gentlemen is once again demonstrating the selective amnesia well known to the Labour Party. Unlike under the Labour Party no nation has withdrawn from the Commonwealth through coups or expelled our sympathisers, making his claims that we have 'lost control' of it rather weak. Just because we have not tried to enforce unneeded compromises on unwilling nations in the Commonwealth, like my predecessor did in Israel, does not mean we have given up on supporting nations that still wish to retain links with the United Kingdom. But our focus remains on the needs of British people and not on cleaning up the mess in the Commonwealth that Labour made.

We shall continue to provide support to those that want it, but we will not dedicate extensive and unnecessary resources to appease the whims of Labour contrarians who want to have their Empire cake and eat it too."

((I've no idea what's going on with Labour. Is it missing it's leader?))

((I've no idea what's going on with Labour. Is it missing it's leader?))

((Syriana is busy and PM'd us saying he isn't going to be around. As Deputy Leader I've stepped up for the interim, but we're going to hold a leadership election in a bit. As in later today, I'm busy at the moment.))

((Syriana is busy and PM'd us saying he isn't going to be around. As Deputy Leader I've stepped up for the interim, but we're going to hold a leadership election in a bit. As in later today, I'm busy at the moment.))
((Sounds good.))

"Mr. Speaker, the Rt. Hon. Gentlemen is once again demonstrating the selective amnesia well known to the Labour Party. Unlike under the Labour Party no nation has withdrawn from the Commonwealth through coups or expelled our sympathisers, making his claims that we have 'lost control' of it rather weak. Just because we have not tried to enforce unneeded compromises on unwilling nations in the Commonwealth, like my predecessor did in Israel, does not mean we have given up on supporting nations that still wish to retain links with the United Kingdom. But our focus remains on the needs of British people and not on cleaning up the mess in the Commonwealth that Labour made.

We shall continue to provide support to those that want it, but we will not dedicate extensive and unnecessary resources to appease the whims of Labour contrarians who want to have their Empire cake and eat it too."

Mr. Speaker, I'm saddened that the Conservative Party is squandering our nation's legacy and international prowess to such an extent. The Labour vision on decolonization has always been that we should work towards a united Commonwealth, of independent nations, but under British protection and guidance. Wherever we could apply this vision in full, it has worked admirably, especially so in the African nations - which, after 2 years of neglect, have now descended into chaos. Need I remind the party opposite that there is a significant expatriate British (white) minority now caught up in these conflicts? By outright refusing to support our former colonies in their development and stability, the Prime Minister is doing our Queen and her subjects a terrible disservice.

Alas, it seems that there is a distinct unwillingness amongst government ranks to protect Her Majesty's subjects abroad, so I move on to more European matters. Does the government have any plans to establish Britain as a leading political and economic power within the EEC? What economic measures will be effectuated to take advantage of this treaty; how does the government intend to repay the great toll which the French have imposed on our people?

"Mr. Speaker, what great toll is the Rt. Hon Gentleman talking about? That our ally of equal strength and equal significance now has an equal say in our alliance? If this successful negotiation for entry into the EEC - which, I might remind the House, Labour failed to achieve - had taken place under Bennett's government the Rt. Hon Gentleman would have trumpeted their entry and would have said any claim of a 'great Toll' imposed by the French was just nationalist hogwash. We are committed to co-operation with our friends and allies in France and Germany, committed to the Common Market which will ensure the free movement of goods between borders, and with the economic revitalisation that the United Kingdom has seen under my Government, after 10 Years of Labour neglect, I have no doubt we will have one of the strongest economies in the EEC, ensuring permanent European clout and prominence for years to come.

The Labour Party's talk of Foreign Policy is just another example of their lack of scruple and inability to recognise the great mess that their decade of mismanagement put our country in. No, Mr. Speaker. the Rt. Hon. Gentlemen is, like most of his party as of late, simply being contrary just for the sake of petty political point scoring. These days the Labour Party's members arm themselves with boomerangs - they can throw them as far as they like, oblivious to how quickly they come back to hit them in the face."

An Unhappy Marriage:
The Union as We Know It

Written by William MacDougal, MP of East Dundee
Published in Scots Independent

In a relationship that has lasted centuries upon centuries, England and Scotland have lived side by side in prosperity. Every now again however a people must review the commitment they live in. It may be difficult, it may feel hard, but the freeing of oneself makes the journey worth a thousand times over. Today I ask the Scottish people to review our own marriage with England. For years our country has lacked while England has profited extensively and expanded an empire beyond their wildest dreams, which now faces the collapse of the imperialist mindset. Why is it we have accepted poverty while they gained prosperity? Is because we were weak? Our fathers and grandfathers working eighteen hours in the coal mines underground, then come up to play football with their families. Is because we were feeble? Our sons and daughters struggling while living standards remain higher south of the border. The money funneled into forts in Bombay rather than schools in Scotland. Is this what we are to tolerate as apart of this Union? I, for one, do not want my children and grandchildren to have to live through the subservient years that we do. If we are to turn back these effects, the only option is demand the return of the powers we once had. The Scottish people need not to protect just their cultural sovereignty, but their political and fiscal sovereignty that will bring our country into a new age. No one cannot ignore the issue at hand: Scotland either needs greater freedom in this marriage, or to put herself on a path of self-determination. Her Majesty's Government is not the only one at fault here, but also the Most Loyal Opposition, has both have made no attempts to address Scotland's concerns. Is this truly a government for our Union, or more so a government for England?

The Scottish National Party however has heard the cries of our populace loud and clear, and we will continue the fight for Scotland until the very end. We know the issues at hand for our region and are ready to solve them. So please, call or talk to your local MP and ask about the issues you feel is important for Scotland, not England. With your help, together we can bring Scotland the freedom and prosperity it's future needs.

PRIVATE EYE

SEPTEMBER 1966 — NINEPENCE

FRONT PAGE

WHINERS POINT OUT OBVIOUS

_85899546_labourfrontbench_getty.jpg

Labour, in all of their grouped academic intellect and media power [see the Newt Satesman] have recently criticised the Conservatives for betraying the British electorate by doing exactly as promised in the election. Calls of the failings of the Empire, of the loss of the Commonwealth, and the death of British society all fall in line with contemporary Tory policy. 'The Era of Good Times', the defining light of Ted Tsar Jacobs' government, is built on what is effectively political apathy towards most of everything except the environment (thanks to the Conservative Party's pet Welsh tree). This means that the Empire (taken apart by said complaining Labour Party) will continue to languish in international obscurity, the Commonwealth (built by Labour to be the Empire by proxy) continues to be nothing but the League of Nations the Second, and the death of British society, which can be attributed to the dull writing of the Newt Satesman and their pathetic satirists, will continue unabated. This is par for the course for the Conservatives, who have no interest in engaging in this at all. Indeed, as for Ted Roar Jacobs, Labour's inability to articulate a point other than whining about the natural result of distinct policies works in his favour as the best and First Box in Westminister.

"Mr. Speaker, what great toll is the Rt. Hon Gentleman talking about? That our ally of equal strength and equal significance now has an equal say in our alliance? If this successful negotiation for entry into the EEC - which, I might remind the House, Labour failed to achieve - had taken place under Bennett's government the Rt. Hon Gentleman would have trumpeted their entry and would have said any claim of a 'great Toll' imposed by the French was just nationalist hogwash. We are committed to co-operation with our friends and allies in France and Germany, committed to the Common Market which will ensure the free movement of goods between borders, and with the economic revitalisation that the United Kingdom has seen under my Government, after 10 Years of Labour neglect, I have no doubt we will have one of the strongest economies in the EEC, ensuring permanent European clout and prominence for years to come.

The Labour Party's talk of Foreign Policy is just another example of their lack of scruple and inability to recognise the great mess that their decade of mismanagement put our country in. No, Mr. Speaker. the Rt. Hon. Gentlemen is, like most of his party as of late, simply being contrary just for the sake of petty political point scoring. These days the Labour Party's members arm themselves with boomerangs - they can throw them as far as they like, oblivious to how quickly they come back to hit them in the face."

Quite simple, Mr. Speaker, I was referring to the money we pledged to the Foreign Ministry's "considerable monetary concessions to the EEC", as the government's press release states.

Frankly, it's rather concerning that the Prime Minister was unaware of our... generous contribution to the French and German treasuries.

((Plank, read the update before going apeshit like that next time.))

Quite simple, Mr. Speaker, I was referring to the money we pledged to the Foreign Ministry's "considerable monetary concessions to the EEC", as the government's press release states.

Frankly, it's rather concerning that the Prime Minister was unaware of our... generous contribution to the French and German treasuries.

((Marshall, OOC quips in public don't help anyone, if you have an issue discuss it over PM and keep the OOC pettiness off the main thread))

Hwe7bbD.png

Name : Lochlan Gavin Fitzpatrick
Born: 1919
Profession : Politician
Constituency : South Antrim

Early life

Lochlan Gavin Fitzpatrick was born on Easter Day, April 20th 1919. Third child out of eleven, he is the eldest son of Art Eberforth Fitzpatrick, welder, and Mary O’Dwyer, house maid. Growing up in the town of Antrim in Northern Ireland, the young Lochlan quickly distinguished himself in the most fashionable Irish way; as a leader of men in mischief and as a dutiful and devout protestant.

At age 12, he was able to find work for a local apothecary, opening the shop and cleaning the various shelves, for a pound a week, which he devoted almost entirely to helping with family. This naturally led to the development of a strong sense of kinship and responsibility.

His youth was largely influenced by the powerful figure of his father, a profoundly devout protestant and, before everything else, an Ulster man, through and through. Art Fitzpatrick was a welder, working at the Harland and Wolff navy yards, in Belfast. Day after day, young Lochlan would witness his father raise at dawn, catch a car toward Belfast and come back late at night. “Work hard and always remember where you are from” was a motto that clearly shaped the early years of Lochlan Fitzpatrick.

While the family was not rich, trough hard-work and the little savings they had, and with the help of connections in the Church, Lochlan was enrolled at Queen’s University in Belfast, to study the law.

World War II

At the outbreak of WWII, Fitzpatrick abandoned his studies to enroll in the army, against the wish of his father which had secured a position for him at the navy yard, to do “and honourable service to the nation without serving as cannon fodder”. He was quickly assigned to the second battalion of the Royal Ulster Rifles, a unit in which he served with firmness and loyalty during the debacle of Dunkirk and the assault of Caen. He took leave of his military career after the war, leaving behind a rank of corporal and the companionship of his fellow man.

Post-war years

The Northern Ireland to which Fitzpatrick came back after the war was very different from the one he had left behind. Too many of his friends had died; the economy was in shambles and the populace too frail to see the danger of socialism.

In 1947, when his father suffered a stroke, Fitzpatrick was suddenly cast in the role of the breadwinner. He took employment for a time at the navy yards, like his father, but the postwar years were not kind to the industry.

He married, in 1950, Eileen O’Brien, the daughter of a local political organizer for MP. Knox Cunningham. She died in childbirth two years later, giving him a daughter, Isla Elanor Fitzpatrick.

He hobbled for a couple a years between jobs, earning barely enough to raise his own daughter and provide for his brothers, sisters and now-ailing mother. Late at night, he continued his law studies, passing the Bar in 1961.

Entry in politics

In December 1965, Know Cunningham, MP for South Antrim, was engulfed in an adultery scandal which blew out of proportion when his wife revealed in fury some indiscretions with his female staffers and some chamber maids in his London residence. These stories made furious echo in South Antrim, which was still, if not profoundly religious, deeply attached to a certain morality.

Through is connections, Fitzpatrick was approached. The Ulster Unionist, desirous to keep the seat is such a storm, were looking for a younger candidate, of decent upbringing, closer to the people to counter the socialist appeal and of irreproachable manners. The young widower, with a daughter and military records seemed to foot the bill.

In a tough and somewhat vicious by-election, he was elected to the House of Commons for the Constituency of South Antrim in April 1966.

Jacobs Ministry (1966)

First taking his bearings in Westminster during the Jacobs Ministry, Fitzpatrick became quickly involved in the debates to find a lasting solution to the rising crime rates in my British cities. Fierce defender of the Police Agencies Act, he worked tirelessly to involve communities in the policing of small offenses, through a system of neighbourhood watch, introduced by his very own first bill, the "Safer communities Act".

Elections 1966

In the end of 1966, Prime Minister Jacobs sensing an opening to widen his majority went to the crown and asked the dissolution of Parliament. The bitter campaigned that followed saw the defeat of the Conservatives to the hands of Labour, which managed to eke out a majority of 2 seats. For his part, Fitzpatrick was asked to campaign in Northern Ireland, and did so with a zeal that produced a complete domination for the Ulster Unionist Party, which carried the 12 constituencies of the province.

Monaghan Ministry (1966 - )

Last edited:

((I read the update and I answered you as my character saw fit. Whether or not you think I'm avoiding the question is up to you, but don't call it 'apeshit' when you lot have been making page long essays about incredibly minor details for the last 10 turns.

Now I'd appreciate it if you didn't bring this into OOC.))

((No more OOC. Bicker elsewhere.))