• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Capital Gains Tax Reform and Entrepeneurs' Relief Act: Yes
Television Act: Yes
Housing Act 1964: Yes
Amendment to Capital Gains Tax Reform & Entrepreneurs' Relief Act: Nay
Amendment to the Housing Act: Nay

The Local Authority Reform (In England) Act 1961: No
The Local Authority Reform (In Wales) Act 1961: No
The Local Authority Reform (In Scotland) Act 1961: No

Rivers Lakes and Estuaries Act: Yes
National Parks Act 1964: Yes
Coastguard Act 1964: Yes
Asbestos Act: Yes
Lead Poisoning Prevention Act: Yes

Budget 1964: Yes

[Politician]
[Privy Councillor +2]

~The Dungarees

Capital Gains Tax Reform & Entrepeneurs' Relief Act: Nay
Television Act: Nay
Housing Act 1964: Nay
Amendment to Capital Gains Tax Reform & Entrepreneurs' Relief Act: Aye
Amendment to the Housing Act: Aye
The Local Authority Reform (In England) Act 1961: Abstain
The Local Authority Reform (In Wales) Act 1961: Abstain
The Local Authority Reform (In Scotland) Act 1961: Abstain
Rivers Lakes and Estuaries Act: Aye
National Parks Act 1964: Aye
Coastguard Act 1964: Aye
Asbestos Act: Aye
Lead Poisoning Prevention Act: Aye
Budget 1964: Aye

[Not Boris Johnson]
[Colonial Erudite: +2 PP]
[New Statesman Editor: +1PP]

Upon advisement from the President of the Board of Trade, the Tory Whip against the Capital Gains Tax Reform Amendment has been rescinded and changed to a Free Vote. Amend voting intentions accordingly.

Voting closed. Interested souls for the playthrough on IRC.

5458d9faf9b94bb5a39fe2f97da007e8_zpsdmaqemcq.jpg
‘We are joined on the programme now by a man who needs no introduction from me. I imagine he's written his own already.

The other guests laugh.

‘A former journalist the Daily Telegraph, my next guest eschewed Fleet Street for Westminster after the War – only marginally more symptomatic of insanity than going in the other direction. Instrumental in developing the idea of the modern political campaign, he retired from politics in 1957 and has since turned to writing.

‘Sir Jonathan Staines, good evening.’

Staines shakes Marr's hand forcefully.

‘Good to see you, Parris.’

‘So then, Johnny: what have you been doing for seven years?’

‘Oh, who knows. Living in the Bahamas, giving out advice to young political hopefuls, all those sorts of things.’

‘Have you found us our next prime minister, yet?’

‘I was rather hoping you would have made the jump already, Parris.’

The other guests laugh.

‘Events, events.

Marr says, grinning.

‘Anyway, contrary to popular belief this show isn't about me. I understand that you've written a book. Egregiously, no one has given me a copy to read so I'm afraid I'm rather in the dark. Is it a memoir?’

‘Ah, yes. It's an account of the four elections I was a campaign manager for a major national party, and it's hitting the shelves next week. I wanted to give it the title “How to Win the Election”, but my editor thought it was a bit too pulpy. So it's the far more boring “The Staines Years”.’

‘Although better than “Staines on Britain”.

The other guests laugh.

‘How would you judge your successors? Is it a case of après moi le déluge, or is your assessment more generous?'

‘Oh dear, this is the part where I have to bad talk last week's losers, isn't it?"

‘So you don't approve of Ms. Leighton's media strategy?’

‘Well, I must say that I totally disagreed with the standard Labour appraisal of the situation on Election Day, and that Labour's loss absolutely was about how the party presented itself to the public.’

‘Go on…’

‘There was certainly an issue about clarity or appealing news towards members of the electorate who didn't possess public school educations or didn't understand insider political terminology. The fact is that the Tories exploited this and Labour reacted in totally the wrong way - claiming it was an issue of classism.’

‘You are of the “Leighton as Didacticist” school, therefore?’

‘See, that's the sort of language I'm talking about. When we go around using terms like 'didacticist' and then say the Tories are calling the working class stupid for not knowing what it means, then we are saying that anyone who doesn't know these highbrow sorts of terms is, by default, stupid. Which happens to be quite a lot of people who used to vote for us.’

‘… So you are of the “Leighton as User-of-Big-Words” school of thinking?’

‘I would say so, yes.’

‘And the other side: What is your view of the Conservative media machine?’

‘Like I said, they took advantage of our shortcomings. They've certainly grown since my time, they've been shying away from the traditional methods and embracing modern media... I think a few of my former protégés are on their payroll now, which has sort of given me a bit of a sick sense of pride now that they've won. They were right to focus on Leighton's foreign record, since it was her biggest strength in some cases but also her biggest weakness in others.

‘And honestly, we can hardly claim the moral high ground about running a positive campaign against muck flinging, since I did the exact same thing with Gibbons and Eden.’

‘Do you regret ever that political campaigning has grown so much more viceral since Attlee's time? Obviously I have no experience of anything else, but I remember 1950 being especially odious – although that may have just been the weather. Certainly a lot more nowadays seems fixated on image.’

‘Absolutely not. Firstly, there's no such thing as the 'good old days', politicians and the newspapers are just as personally nasty to each other as they have always been, in fact now they're being forced to be a lot more polite to each other when the public eye is on them. Frankly, I think it's a good thing that politicians now have to think twice about what policies they support before they bring them to the public. In the old days, Governments could do whatever they wanted with no concern for what the man on the street thought - now they can't take people's votes for granted any more because the other party is going to steal their base if they do.’

‘The public relations man, therefore, is less a murky prince of darkness and more a gadfly, perhaps, intent on keeping the other side on their toes?’

‘Exactly. The dark arts, as some of the MPs have been calling it, holds politicians more accountable. We can't have people in charge calling for budget reform when they're stealing from the till, or people telling us they're taking a moral stance in politics when they're cheating on their missus or get boozed up before a session of the Commons - and those things do happen in both parties. We can't expect people to totally trust us when a lot of shady things happen in Westminster - and yes, the whole Bennett Affair only a year before an election did make us all look like a bunch of back stabbers and made politicians on both sides look untrustworthy.

‘The people have a right to know what calibre of people are in charge and if someone's not up to hearing that they shouldn't be in politics.’

‘Do you believe, therefore, that we should hold politicians to a higher standard than those to which we perhaps hold ourselves? Can we not be ruled over by mere mortals?’

‘Frankly, yes. If someone tells me they think they deserve to run the country the public have a right to grill him on every dodgy financial transaction, every questionable late night hotel visit, and how they behave in everyday life. It is in the public interest.’

‘Would you rather an inoffensive mediocrity over an unprincipled genius?’

‘We've seen plenty of unprincipled geniuses over the last few decades, and I say we were worse off for it.’

‘Would you provide us with an example?’

‘I can think of one with a funny moustache.’

‘I beg to differ, Johnny. Ramsay MacDonald was no genius.

The other guests laugh.

‘Does this mean your ideal political class would consist solely of presentable bourgeois with good degrees and even better moral compasses? I can understand the desire to have competent people in power, which would naturally preclude those debilitated by drink or drugs or what have you— the Earl of Avon springs to mind— but then the Duke of London was and is famous for his gargantuan alcohol consumption. Or is he perhaps an exception for having served in extremis?’

‘I'm not saying that vices should deny someone the right to be a politician, I'm just saying the public has a right and a need to know. But there are plenty of very intelligent, very capable people from all walks of life in this country who do have a clean record. It's not a matter of a choice between corrupt or incompetent.’

‘One sincerely hopes so.

‘Are you now out of politics for good?’

‘Hopefully. People tend to forget how hard behind-the-scenes people like me have to work to keep the ship afloat - all day and all night. It's why I retired at 57 instead of 60.’

‘And yet, one imagines, your influence will not disappear so quickly.

‘Sir Jonathan Staines, thank you for coming on the programme this evening. It is always a pleasure.’

Barclay, having missed the voting and looking rather concerned, walks into the Commons and passes a note on to the Shadow Home Secretary before immediately leaving again.

"Tried to find Sylvia. Couldn't. Her neighbour said she saw an ambulance, will pass by London hospitals next.

Try to cover Labour in the meanwhile, please."

Chapter 18: Era of Good Times (May 1964-May 1966)

Britain’s hardest political job had never been particularly kind to Ted Jacobs. The Tory opposition leader was depicted in the era of satire as “completely unremarkable” and “dull, dull, so terribly dull.” Compared to his Labour competitor Jacobs was an unknown quantity. While Leighton displayed remarkable rhetorical skills and energetic enthusiasm, Jacobs’ gloomy grim muffled jovial faces and uplifted humorless Treasury civil servants. The animated fervor of a new election, inspiring youngsters and first-time voters, met a brisk end upon Jacobs’ dour glare. One commentator notably asserted “Mr. Jacobs has single-handedly brought down the turnout.” And yet, the Opposition Leader’s stony-faced decorum proved to be the perfect asset at precisely the right time. As Britain stared down unsettling social changes, Ted Jacobs and his new Tory generation provided the apprehensive masses with a much needed respite from the social upheaval represented by Leighton’s radical campaign. Although Labour’s energetic ‘new radicalism’ salvaged the party (and Leighton) from electoral ruin, the blatant cultural progressivism proved too unsettling for a plurality of the British public. The Conservative Party promised a quiescence from further social reforms, capitalizing on voter fatigue to claim victory over counterculture and the revolutionary mood of the decade. Jacobs’ slim victory would prove to be just another chapter in the culture war — beautifully illustrated by the indisputable enmity between Leighton ‘the colourful’ and Jacobs ‘the grey.’ In the end, Britain swung Tory, and wiped itself clean of the decade-long New Consensus. Jacobs’ seemed to have scored his greatest triumph, brushing off the Britain of Bennett, Leighton, and Marr. In the midst of his victory, Jacobs climbed to address the audience and proclaimed “an Era of Good Times.” In Britain, good times last as long as the sunshine.

cgYehN5.png

The Prime Minister moments before the 'Era of Good Times' Speech.
The new Conservative cabinet was an array of old-guard “Abadanites” and coltish ‘post-Adenites.” The ‘Abadanites” included the former President of the Board of Trade, Johnny Chips, who was promoted to Home Secretary, and the former Minister of Food, Maxwell Macpherson, who was shuffled up as Foreign Secretary. Elsewhere, newcomers filled the cabinet ranks. The Shadow President of the Board of Trade and Chairman of the Christian Democratic Fellow, David Thornbloom, ascended to his prescripted position, while the Conservative’s “green star,” Talfryn Ryley, was appointed as the first Minister of the Environment. Jacobs’ enigmatic mixture proved a potent combination between experience and energy. At first, Macpherson’s appointment, in particular, was the target of ridicule. The former Minister of Food had long been considered a lethargic politician, shuffling his way through parliament as the party’s loyal dog. But the new Foreign Secretary exhibited a remarkable exaltation by his appointment, and pursued his international policies with unmatched parliamentary vigor. Tragically, however, Macpherson’s sprightly performance was too late. By 1964, Britain’s international standing was little more than an American appendage with a moral consciousness. While statistically the United Kingdom boasted a considerably powerful army, Britain’s international prowess and economic standing diminished bereft of empire. In 1960, British industry was second only to America, Russia, and China. Four years later, the United Kingdom’s economy lagged behind three more states, with further atrophy expected as Britain clawed out of the early 1960s recession. Britain’s diminished standing and international insignificance had first become apparent after the Egyptian Invasion and the Abadan Crisis. Amid the SIno-Indian War, these anxieties were only confirmed. Whereas three years before the war, Britain could exercise considerable sovereignty over the Indian sub-continent, the United Kingdom found itself powerless to influence Asian policy.
JDYPpYt.png
pCVjcLI.png

The 'Post-Abadanites'— David Thornbloom (left) and Talfryn Ryley (right)
The outbreak of the Sino-Indian War had overshadowed the Conservative victory in the 1964 election, and agitated public anxieties. These fears were fed by hysterical international analysts who speculated that the proxy conflict between Washington and Moscow would escalate into World War 3. The new Prime Minister, on numerous occasions in cabinet, urged restraint in proceeding with new policies until the threat of nuclear war abated. Nuclear war, however, was never threatened; the Sino-Indian War proved to be a remarkably long and bloody affair, but markedly failed to escalate beyond a territorial conflict over Kashmir. Only when successive invasions were repelled from both sides did the national limelight spin away from India and return to domestic issues. There was one important lesson, however, from the conflict: Britain was in indisputable decline. This decay was not an obvious or perceivable occurrence. Indeed, the Tory government supervised Britain’s healthy economic recovery, emerging out of recession at a tempered 2.4% growth, and enjoying a stabilized fiscal condition. But elsewhere, the stench of diminishment was pervasive. An ominous rise in crime, unaided by Bennett’s and Jacobs’ administrative reductions, coupled with radical discontent, incited protest and reaction. Contemporaneously, as conventional high-brow norms of Westminster and Chelsea were met with scorn and ridicule from Beyond the Fringe, church attendance dropped dramatically. The aura of spiritual and moral decline seemed unstoppable. Rather than confront the moral charges, the Conservative government struck against Labour’s economic legacy. Thornbloom challenged Bennett’s tax legacy with the sterilization of the Capital Gains Tax, while the Prime Minister gently reconstituted social housing for the benefit of the market. Elsewhere, radical legislation came in the form of environmental regulations, provoking the angry rhetoric of radical traditionalists. Prime Minister Jacobs’ caution dominated his first two years; Tory policies were advanced with scrupulous prudence and pragmatism. Indeed, the entire conduct of his government seemed to exist upon a domestic tranquility — unmolested by the pressures of global responsibility.

CYydkuC.png

Beyond the Fringe: Peter Cook, Dudley Moore, Alan Bennett, and Johnathon Miller.
With the empire abandoned, Her Majesty’s Commonwealth of Nations, once the ideal successor, waned in the beginning of Jacobs’ premiership. Leighton’s elaborate statute, the Charter of the Commonwealth, could not self-perpetuate without the active involvement of British foreign policy. While Britain reeled away from Asia and Africa, Commonwealth enclaves faltered beneath local radicalism and third world nationalism. The dramatic irony of the Commonwealth crisis — built to withstand Britain’s absence — yet doomed to failure without it’s presence. The ousting of India and Burma, coupled with the contentious British attitude towards the white-minority states in Rhodesia and Kenya, threatened to upturn the Commonwealth’s progress. In the spring of 1965, the British Government, unnerved by the turmoil in the former empire, denied full independence to Uganda, and released the Ugandan Protectorate as a semi-autonomous Dominion. It was the same trepidation that licensed the government, a season later, to suppress left-wing nationalists in settler-heavy Guyana upon Washington’s insistence. But beyond Britain’s borders, Westminster peeled away in a transitory state of isolationism. While parliament wallowed in languid inactivity, Jacobs and Macpherson shifted their focus to Brussels. Determined to assert Britain’s mark on world affairs, the Prime Minister first applied for membership in the European Economic Community in December 1964. The application, however, had been vetoed by President de Gaulle the succeeding month as the French were apprehensive about admitting America’s ‘special ally’ into the EEC. Jacobs and Macpherson arrived at the negotiating table the following fall, and sparred with the French over Britain’s admittance. President de Gaulle proved intransigent, and once more diplomatic failure seemed inevitable. But for Jacobs, the European Economic Community was too important for failure — Pro-European Tories fervently believed that the EEC was the general antiseptic to all of Britain’s woes. In order to secure British placement, Macpherson pivoted to the Germans. Ideological overlap between the Conservative Party and the Christian Democratic Party assuaged former tensions, and Ludwig Erhard quickly proved amicable to the British Foreign Office. As relations between Germany and the United Kingdom strengthened throughout 1965, Erhard became a vocal supporter of British entrance. Even so, de Gaulle retained his veto, and remained unwilling to reverse his position.

cPhhtpp.png
jrgh3LR.png

President de Gaulle (left) and Chancellor Ludwig Erhard (right).

Macpherson deciphered French skepticism to de Gaulle’s weary relationship with newly elected American President Lyndon Johnson. As Stevenson’s successor, Johnson inherited a privileged relationship with the United Kingdom, particularly in regards to NATO. Within the North Atlantic Treaty Organization, American diplomats prioritized British council over French advice, especially regarding nuclear armament. President de Gaulle demanded a French nuclear deterrence and political parity in NATO, threatening withdrawal from the alliance if the Americans did not reform the diplomatic structure. In Westminster the Tories were split; atlanticists prioritized retention of power in NATO, while europhiles urged reform-for-admission. The decision was not without exterior influences: President Johnson urged the Conservative Government to compromise with de Gaulle. But the Prime Minister heeded no advice on this topic. His enthusiastic (an understatement) pro-europeanism directed his response. Within a fortnight, Britain and the U.S had reached a comprehensive NATO deal with the French, equalizing the alliance’s clout. On 19 November 1965 the United Kingdom was accepted into the European Economic Community, after considerable monetary concessions to the EEC. [1] In Britain, parish councils were asked by the Government to celebrate the admission. Across the country, the political notion that the EEC would mend Britain’s problems was ‘pervasive.’ But in shadowy cabals and gleaming fisheries, opposition to the EEC found early support. In the words of Enoch Powell: “we may have just sold our independence.”

[1] Prepare for IG effects.

--
A very uneventful update. Hence the shorter length. DEBATE, PROPOSALS, (and maybe some cultural commentary(?), which I hate to belabor) is open.

Beyond the Fringe: Peter Cook, Dudley Moore, Alan Bennett, and Jonathan Miller.

((That's not meant to be left to right or anything, is it? :p))

Blackfriars. May, 1966.

‘Have you read the Telegraph today, Caroline?’

‘I usually try not to. What are they saying?’

‘Oh, nothing really. They've pronounced the New Consensus dead – which, frankly, is a great relief seeing as I'd hate for it to be contaminated by the government's lethargy.—What was last week's circulation?’

‘Just over one-hundred thousand.’

‘I thought so. No drastic slump, then. Britain must just be getting complacent. Shall we do something about it?’

"I'm a bit worried that I'm seen as a bore."

"Why, Ted?"

"Well, it's a bit hypocritical that I won because I said Labour were boring, when I'm not particularly interesting myself."

"Actually we've run it through the PR people and they say you possess a special 'passive boredom' that works in your benefit."

"Explain."

"As you know, people were turned off by Labour's 'active boredom'. See, when Labour go out of their way to be boring, it gets on people's nerves and people start making fun of them for it. When you're boring, you're a Tory anyway, it's not your job to be interesting. You're supposed to be a dull civil servant, not a political colossus. So people find it as a mark in your favour and a sign of competence. Some say it's learned behavior, some say it's British genetics."

"So I shouldn't risk trying to be interesting?"

"Oh, God no. Could you imagine what the papers would say?"

Reactions:
92oTgPa.png

Rhodesian Worries

Amidst the African ruins of the British Empire, Prime Minister Ralphael "Roy" Welensky has emerged as the indisputable master of the Central African Federation. Despite native insurgency and international condemnation, Mr. Welensky's grip on Rhodesian power remains resolute. His party, the United Federal Party, remains undefeated in Rhodesia's electoral contests. Now, the self-described "half Jewish, half Afrikaner [and] 100% British" leader is at the center of a British political crisis. Sir Welensky, a staunch supporter of regional British influence and the empowerment of the Commonwealth, submitted a recommendation yesterday to the Foreign Office, urging the Conservative Government to consider his controversial African reorganization. The so-called 'Welensky Plan' was devoloped after the previous Labour Government enacted a

complex constitutional system to stabilize the newly formed Dominion of Botswana. In the aftermath of the constitution's passage in the House of Commons, thousands of white settlers fled from their residential homes to Southern Rhodesia and South Africa. But recent developments in South Africa, predominantly the liberalization of the franchise, have rendered it unsuitable for white immigration. By a cruel process of elimination, the Central African Federation has become the regional recourse for British settlers. As the general feeling of British betrayal escalates among African whites, the settler government in Salisbury appointed an expert committee to investigate alternatives to the present course of decolonization. The product of this inquiry is known as the 'Welensky Plan,' and was submitted to Parliament as a desperate attempt to shore up settler populations in Africa.

The 'Welensky Plan' is a tendentious suggestion. According to Sir Welensky and the Inquiry Committee, Westminster's best hope to prevent external communism is the "devolopment and active preservation of African Federations." Specifically, the report urges Westminster to form an "East African Federation" — the unification of white-dominated Kenya and newly formed Uganda — and recognize 'Federations' in British and Commonwealth statute. The federal approach has proved anything but uncontroversial. Right-wing supporters believe settler-backed governments will protect from regional communism, whilst liberal critics deride the proposition's suggestive racism and ethnic implications. The Welensky report also advised the Tory Government to arrange a Dominion in Libya with a governmental proposition to best serve local English and Jewish interests.
Although there has been no official response from the Government, Rhodesians have not ruled out...

Last edited:
PRIVATE EYE

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

JULY 1964 — NINEPENCE

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

FRONT PAGE

PARR THE TORY

image.jpg1_zpsogurjquh.jpg

The Labour minions of Mary Parr [pictured above] did their duty to Queen and Country when they defended the Government's budget in May. A noted rhetorician of immense width, breadth, and quasi-intellectual meandering dedicated to the due education of the electorate's Homeresque consumption of popular media and furthermore dedicated to the Atlasean uplifting of quality in all contemporary Dickean literature and visual Shakespearean informational productions, he uses a lot of words when a few are necessary.

This man of many words had his dedicated urchins in Parliament vote for the Government's budget in defiance of the Labour's Whip. While Mary might have enjoyed defying the whip in order to encourage further whipping, this shows a noted breach in the leadership of Har P. Evertalk and some of his most powerful members. Is this the collapse of Labour? Is this the split of labour into Labour left and Labour slightly less left? Will Mary just outright join the Tories? Who knows, we here at Private Eye certainly don't.