• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Laurent1944

Colonel
43 Badges
Oct 11, 2017
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
Hello,

I am trying since a week (I don't play a lot hours each day) to start an Albania or Iberia achievement run. I have done 12 attempts so far and will restart a new one.

Last I was doing OK. In 1473, I had half of Serbia (the Ottos had the other half), the whole of Bosnia (half directly, the rest with Bosnia as vassal), two Hungarian provinces including Belgrade and its fort and Ragusa. And I was ready to attack Venice, but waiting for the Ottos to attack someone else. By the way I had 14k men, Ottos had 70k but my allies had a cumulated 88: Burgundy (and vassal/partners) 30, Bohemia 24, Milan 15, Wallachia 10 and Ferrare 9. So I felt rather confident that the Ottos will attack someone else, and .

And then.. Ottos forced Wallachia to break my alliance, and then attacked me and Burgundy and Milan both having 150-200 opinion of me, declined the call of arms. So that's 47k men on my side, 2/3 of them controlled by AI, against 70k Ottos (and 10k from Crimea). And as none of my ally had any border with Otto, I couldn't even negociate a peace by giving away lands of my allies... I did not finish the war, but the Otto want to reduce me to the province of Ragusa.

About half of my attempts went awful very early. In the second, I lowered maintenance of my army at start to save money and the Ottos sent 30k on my border in October 1445. I raise maintenance, but was still wiped the next month when they invaded. Another time they just did the same even if I had full morale. 30k Ottos vs 6k, even with Skandeberg in mountains, they still won and stack wiped me.
Three other times I had Skandeberg die before 1450 of natural death, without being a general. Another time he died in the first battle, and as I had a comet just before, I was stuck with -3 stab, a defeated army and a bad leader losing a war, I quit.

From my experience, you need to beat the Ottomans very early to have a chance. And even this did not suffice, because in both cases when I did it they recover and won the revenge. The fun thing is that on the wiki page about the achievement "Albania or Iberia", the Ottomans are only considered as useful if they attack Venice, and then as a possible target once the player had full "Yugoslavia" under control. My experience is that Otto will attack Albania at every opportunity.

Integrating a commercial league (Genoa or Ragusa) prevents an early attack in my game, but I found that Otto will then attack once I had expanded and will be far stronger than at start. The best option IMHO to defeat them is an early war with Venetian garantie and some luck.

So let's go for attempt number 13.

Serbia is rivalling me, so I rival it in return. And sent some insults too, for the small boost in power projection.

Then I do my starting routine:
_ I developed my province +2 tax, +2 production (with the helping edict it is done in January 1445), as Skandeberg gives a lot of points. This increases my revenue and also the force limit to 7
_ I put one merchant in Ragusa node and one to collect in Venice, where I sent my two light ships.
_ I build my army up to force limit by building three infantry units

And then a check of the diplomatic possibilities: noboby wants to ally me as usual but at -19 for alliance and -10 for mariage Hungary is doable with increased relationship. Austria is not far from these values, but will soon take too many relationships and then it will be impossible for me to ally them, so I don't ever start a try. This leaves me with a diplomat and I sent it to Serbia to fabricate claims.

1444 Diplomacy.jpg

And then I wait, monitoring the relationship with Hungary. And soon in January 1445 first bad news: Hungary has taken too many relationship (alliance with Austria, Mantova, Saxe and worst of all Ragusa) and a big malus denies me any chance to ally it. Still it is in interegnum so I will wait to see if it gets better once a King is appointed.

In February 1445, the Pope (a new one, the first died before the end of 1444) excommunicated the French king. And then he changed his mind and lifted it the next month. First time I saw this...

In April, interegnum is finished in Hungary: a regency council took the control in the name of a 5-year old child, Ladislaus the Posthumus (by the way, historically he was the posthumous child of the king that died in Varna in 1444, so should be one year old ??? ). And still too many relationship, so it's time to search for another possible ally. I decided to try the Italian duchy of Ferrara.

And in June 1445, Skandeberg died of heart failure... Seriously... I was thinking that attempt number 13 might be cursed or lucky... Well it is cursed so time for attempt 14. :(

So back to 11 November 1444. Starting rountine as usual and then back to diplo pannel: this time two countries, Serbia and Ragusa rivalled me so I rivalled them too. Insults sent to Ragusa. And then I check who want to ally me. Milan is the closest with -13 and I sent a diplomat to it, while sending another to Hungary that is again at -19.

Elsewhere in March 1445 England refused to cede Main and entered war with France.

Let's check the diplo pannel. The modifier to ally Hungary is at ... -84. What happens ? Too many relationships... and Hungary allied Ragusa, my rival... So time to change. Austria is still at -19 and is not suffering from too many relationship modifier, so let's start an approach on it. Milan is at -6, relationship increasing underway.

In April, Genoa propose me to join its league. Except that I want Otto to attack me soon, and they probably won't if I join the league. So my answer is no.

In June, my army reach 7k men. And I validate the mission "Build an army". Any boost is welcome in the first decades of the game.

In September, Milan agreed to ally me. This is soon followed by a royal mariage. The diplomat is then sent to fabricate a claim (or two) in Serbia.

The end of 1445 is reached without any Ottoman attack, or Ottoman troops being seen. The Ottos haven't attacked anybody yet.

In January 1446, the game grants me a free claim on Serbian Kossovo. Still Serbia is allied with Byzance and Bosnia and attacking it alone seems a bad idea. Let's wait a little.

The Ottos attacked Byzance in November 1446 and Serbia joined the defending side. I still waited a little because in December I was able to marry with Austria, this increasing relationship enough to conclude an alliance the next month. First time I can ally Austria in 14 games! Also in January 1447, my diplomat working in Serbia was able to fabricate a second claim, on Zeta.

At this stage, sadly, an Ottoman army was already besieging Kossovo. I declared on Serbia, and Bosnia joined it.

Some maneuver later, and I managed to occupy Zeta while the Bosnian army was besieging my capital and the Serbian one was retaking Kossovo. The fall of Zeta forced the Serbian fleet to go to sea... right in the path of the Ottoman fleet. My navy joined and all Serbian ships were sunk.

The Serbian army then went back to fight the Ottos, and Bosnia and I began a race to capture the other's capital. I lost. Mine fell in March 1448, the Bosnian one in April. But then I crushed the Bosnian army in two successive battles and then carped sieged the whole of Bosnia to be sure it won't be able to recreate an army.

In the meantime the Serbian army has been destroyed by the Ottos. I invade again Serbia and crushed one Serbian unit just generated then split my army to occupy a maximum of land. In November 1448, I have occupied four Serbian provinces, the two in the north being besieged by the Ottos, and I am trying to recapture my capital.

1448 Serbian war.jpg

In December, the Ottos signed the peace with Byzance, fully annexing it and Athens, and letting Serbia survive. The Serbian fort of Smederovo starts to liberate the provinces south of it, but I sent half of my army to siege it, enough to not be attacked by the 3000 Serbian still in the area.

At the start of 1449, mil tech 4 is reached. Thanks Skandenberg !

In June, Lezhe is liberated. The Albanian army then chases the Serbian one and wipes it. Then the army sieges the fort of Smederovo. War weariness is now at 8, so I use some DIP MP to decrease it.

In January 1450 the Renaissance pops up in . And the pope claims that one of my ancestors was an holy man (+1 stability). I can't believe it, I am becoming lucky ? In March, Ragusa declares on Serbia. This can be interesting... First good thing the Ragusan army destroys the small reconstituted Serbian army.

1450 Serbian war.jpg

Please notice the Mameluk troops crossing the Balkans. Venice and the Mameluks started a commercial war in 1448.

Smederovo falls in October 1450. A new reconstitued Serbian army is again destroyed by the Ragusans.

During the war, my diplomats did not stay idle. They build our relationships with Austria at max +100, fabricate a claim on Ragusa and started to improve relationship with Wallachia, to ally it at the end of this war.

In June 1451, the Serbian capital fell. I control 100% of Bosnia and Serbia and I start testing various peace conditions. I finally decide to not take Bosnian land yet. And only take monay (75 ducats) from it, so the truce will be over in 1459. And then I make peace with Serbia: I take Zeta, Kossovo and Rascie (a full state), and vassalize Serbia, taking also 100 ducats in the deal.

And bang, Serbia being my vassal, I am at war with Ragusa without its Ottoman garantie :). I just forgot to park my light ships before and the Ragusan navy sank them before they could retreat... But on land the Ragusan army is defeated by Skandenberg.

In July 1451, Wallachia decided to rival me, so I recalled my diplomat preparing an alliance with them. I sent it instead to Hungary, because once I will have conquered Ragusa, there will be no more -50 malus. And in September Venice warmed us to not attack our neighbours. Actually they are the next on the list, so it is not a so big issue.

With the new wealth, I start to use advisor and can start to convert Lezhe to catholicism (50 months).

In December 1451, the Ottos invaded Candar, that called to arms Crimea and Karaman. Seems that being allied to Austria is effectively protecting me.

In January 1452, another event with a local holy man gives me another free stability point. Really, twice in a game ???? I am lucky... at least for now, but after 13 games of unluck, I will just appreciate.

Some months later, the duke of Milano died and Milano became a republic. But they still love us and remain our ally.

And in April 1452, Ragusa fell and I annexed it. This is the end of the first phase of the game: the Ottos did not attack, contrary to what I wanted initially, but I have eliminated my two initial vassals, so bringing PP to above 50 with no more rivals.

1452 End first phase.jpg

First thing to do next is to choose next vassals: I have three possibilities:
1) Bosnia. This is a no-brainer, as I want to attack it as soon as the truce is over. So I rivalled it. Bosnia has no ally nor guaranty.
2) Wallachia. They rivalled me, but 1) I have no land border with them 2) they are allied with Poland and guaranteed by Ottomans. So rivalling them seems to call trouble, and I ignore them.
3) Venice. Venice ? They are still at war with Mamluks but I think I am not yet in the same category as Venice. They have twice more troops and five more ships than me. Just checked the war declaration panel and I was hoping that Austia will join the war for land, but they are not interested. Milano is, but that would still be just Milano and me against Venice, Corfu, Naxos, Mantova, Sienna, the Knights and East Frisia. Probably not a winning configuration, especially at sea. And Venice is still guaranting me (while at the same time warming me... it is even less consistent than current US politics...). So again, I choose to not rival it, one rival is enough for the moment to have 50+ PP.

Now let's continue the diplo choices. I have one vassal and two allies, and four slots, so it will be nice to have one more ally. Now that Ragusa is gone, I check again Hungary. I'm at -27 for alliance and -48 for mariage, and can gain 11 for increased relations. But Hungarian regency will be over in 3 years, so lowering the "too many relation". My surexpansion is also costing me 4 points and I can now increase my army and navy size, still gaining points. And when I check Hungarian rivals, they are Venice, Ottos and Poland. The two first are both threatening me. So I will continue to increase relation with Hungary, build my military to new limit and rival Venise soon.

In December 1452, the last of the three provinces taken from Serbia is cored, and I create the state of Rascie. And now that I have several cored provinces, I can give some to estates. I keep gold producing Kossovo, and burghers will later have Ragusa. So that leaves Zeta and Rascie for clergy and nobility. And then the plan was to push all button I can to increase influence and then pressure them for MPs. Problem: the clergy has only 25% of influence, because the state religion (Catholic) is only followed by a minority (only one province, Ragusa). Still I milk 150 military MPs from the nobles.

1452 Estates.jpg

And I will stop there for now, time to care about IRL people. See you later

In 1453, the Ottos won their war against Candar (fully annexed), Karaman (reduced to one province) and Crimea (left intact), and the war between Venice and the Mamluks end with the latter releasing one of their vassals.

I use some MPs to keep down Serbian separatits, but still have enough to reach mil tech 5 in January 1454. I also expand production in Kossovo from 3 to 5, and accept the Serbian culture. And Ragusa is finally cored, a state is created with it and the province is given to the burghers. Some buttons later, +150 diplo MPs.

In May 1454, I rival Venice and this allows me to ally Hungary ASAP. Hungary then proposes a mariage and I agree. By the way, Venice continues to guarantee me even after I rivaled it. From this point, with all my diplo slots taken, my two diplomats work as increasing relation ship with my vassal Serbia (still unloyal after forced vassalization) and fabricating claims on Bosnia.

In March 1455, Lezhe is converted to Catholic faith. So I can cancel the edict on religious unity and create one on the nearby state of Rascie. With this, the province of Zeta (in the hands of the clercy) will be converted in 19 months. By the way the conversion of Lezhe allows my religious unity to go over 50%, and so the malus on the clergy influence disappears, allowing me to push some buttons and milk them at their turn for 150 ADM points.

I then wanted to advance a little in peace, and actually let my Serbian separatists revolt to crush them, but in April 1455 the Ottomans attacked Venice. The war goal is the province of Negroponte (Eubea). Seeing my two enemies fight together is an opportunity I can miss, and leaves me with two choices:
1) attack the Ottomans: only Hungary will join if I promise it land. Otto allies, Tunis, Hsin Kayfa and Ramazan, will all join.
2) attack Venice: both Hungary and Milana will join if I promise land to them, while Sienna will decline the call of arms, while Mantova, East Frisia and the Knights, Venice's vassals Naxos and Corfu will join, but the three last will probably be destroyed by the Ottos shortly.

And this choice is very important. I can try to stop Otto expansion right now, or I can attack Venice and continue my rise to regional power but let the Otto take more land. If Austria (who rivals the Otto since the start) could join, I would immediately attack the Ottos, but with Hungary only, it is too risky now. And sadly for Venice, their war against Ottos is giving me an unique opportunity to actually take Venice itself, as the Otto fleet is strong enough to win control of the sea and so allow my troops to invade the island. So after some hesitation, I decide to attack Venice. Below is the force display at the start of the war, once everybody had joined (Moldavia is a vassal of Hungary):
1455 Venetian war.jpg

I quickly occupied Durazzo, while the Ottos asked me miiitary access, that I granted. Venetian and Mantovian troops invaded Hungary, whose army gathered on my land to then march on Dalmatia, while Milano besieged Mantova in Italy. In August, the Pope died and the new one is controlled by Venice. Oops, I hope I won't be excommunicated. In October, the Pope decreeted a Crusade against the Ottomans. Why not, I will benefit from it latter. In December the army of Milano is defeated by the Venetian army and then swiped in a second battle.

In March 1456, Naxos fell after a siege by Hungarian, Moldavian and Ottoman troops, but the Hungarian were the first there and gave control of the island to me. In July the Otto alone took Corfu, so liberating all their troops to march north. In September, East Frisian troops took the Hungarian capital of Pest while the Hungarian were busy retaking other provinces with twice more troops... In November I took Crete, using the protection of the Ottoman galley to sneak a small fleet there. 16 Venetian transports were here with only two galleys and the Albanian, Moldavian and Hungarian navies (combined 9 light ships, 5 galleys and 10 transports) and the Ottoman one (7 light ships, 22 galleys and 13 transports) fought them off the island. Both Venetian galleys safriciced themselves so all transports can escape. Also this month, an Hungarian army defeated the Mantovan army near Zagreb.

In January 1457, Dalmatia fell to an Hungarian army and the main body of the Albanian troops after one year and a half of siege. Hungarian troops took the control of the city. In February the Mantovan army is again defeated, this time by a joint ALbanian-Hungarian army in the Austrian province of Carniole. In April Albania occupied Friul and Istria and laid siege to Treviso. At this stage, the Hungarians were busy retaking their capital, the Milanese were besieging Mantova while the Venetians were besieging Milano. The Venetian fleet was in Venice or just off of it, while the Ottoman fleet was busy landing troops on Rhodes for taking out the Knights. In May, the Hungarian retook Pest. At this time I saw that Rhodes was under siege by the Otto and that the Knights were ready for peace. With a score of 0 towards them, I could only white peace but I sent my fleet off their island and the blocade brought my score to 25%, allowing me to ask them 25 ducats for peace in July (only kept 7 by the way). In August, 12k Serbian separatists revolted in Kossovo. The idea is to let Hungarian or Otto troops crush them for me. In September the Milanese took Mantova and I sued them for peace too, asking war reps, money, trade power sharing and some alliance breaks for more prestige. In October, nice surprise: Castille decided to give me monthly subsidies of 2.4 ducats. As was earning 6 ducat a month before, and using 5, it is a nice addition to my economy (+40% !!!). This same month Milano finally fell to the Venetian siege. The Venetian then marched north, probably going to North Germany to save East Frisia, that is under siege by the small Moldavian army. But East Frisa fell in December, and the Venetians returned to Milanese territory. I don't sign peace with East Frisia yet, I am toying with the idea to vassalize them...

In January 1458, the Pope again claims that one of my ancestors was an holy man. This is the third free stability point in a row in 15 years !!!! It seems that Albania is a lucky nation in this game !!! In April Albanian troops captured the fort of Treviso after a year of siege. The next month they occupied the last Venetian provinces on the continent, Verona and Brescia. In June they retook the Milane provinces of Novare and Cremona and helped the Milanese to start the siege of their occupied capital. In July the main body of Venetian troops (9k men) landed by ship at Ragusa. I have 2k men nearby and Hungary has 12, with also 12k Serbian rebels. The Venetians crossed my country. I thought they were aiming for Durazzo but they continued south, lay siege to Corfu... and get swiped by an Otto army. In November, East Frisia has enough of the war to accept a vassalization. This will bring me to above my diplo relation limit... except that just after that Milano decided to sign the peace with Venice, giving them Cremona and cutting the alliance with me. Your choice, Milano: i won't have to give you land so. In December, Skandenberg has enough of the Serbian rebels and with an army made of 2k Albanian, 6k Moldavians and 11k Hungarian crushed them. In December, the main Albanian troops occupied the new Venetian province of Cremona and then marched towards Treviso, besieged by 4k Venetians, all that remain as enemy armies. They quickly march back to Venice. The same month, the Knights surrendered to the Ottomans, for money only. I now hope that the Ottoman fleet will sail to Venice.

But the Otto fleet don't move and actually it is the Venetian one that went south and intercepted in February 1459 my fleet returning from Creete. I escape while losing two galley sunk... In April the Ottoman galley sailed to the mouth of the Adriatic Sea... and then went back to the Aegean. In August I decide to give up. I first hesitate to take Treviso and other Venetian provinces, but the overextension and AE will then slow my Bosnian conquest, as the truce with Bosnia is over since February this year. So finally I decide to take Durazzo (my core and the war goal) and Creete (to try to interact with the Mamluks), while giving Dalmatia to Hungary (I want a strong alliance with them). With the remaining points, I humiliate Venice for the Age bonus and the power projection.
1459 End of Venetian war.jpg

Albania at the end of the first Albanian-Venetian war (there will be others I am sure): Serbia is my vassal, and also East Frisa on the North Sea coast far away. Actually it is probably a good idea to have a vassal there, my enemies will probably send armies across the continent to siege it while I will siege their land :). The new conquest allow me to validate the "Albanian Expansion" mission, so increasing my capital size.

In September, while my army was marching back from Treviso to Ragusa, I made a royal marriage with my new vassal East Frisia, that is already loyal. On the other hand Serbia is again unloyal. It is not a big issue, as it has no army at all. It seems that it is in a debt death spiral: it has debts of 240 when I vassalize it, and now is at -300. So it has no troop and its fort is unmanned.

Now to bed IRL, next show will see the invasion of Bosnia.

So on 1 October 1459 I declared on Bosnia. The poor country has no ally and I don't call any on my side (to be honest I can't call any). Just after the start of the war Castille start to give subsidies to Albania. This was expected, as was expected the fact that the Bosnian Army (6k) is wiped in the first battle by the 10k Albanians led by Skanderberg. The Albanian army then splits to occupy all Bosnian land before any unit can respawn. By mid-December only the Bosnian capital resists, being besieged by 4k Albanians (it is a fort 1). Skandenberg returns to his royal palace (no need to take risk having him leading an army when he is not needed).

While the Bosnian capital is besieged, I sent a diplomat to the Papal States to increase relationship. If it had a positive opinion of Albania it can excommunicate it, and while it is currently at +16, the surexpansion at the end of the Bosnian invasion might put it in negative unless something is done. The diplomat should be enough.

Skandenberg also uses this period to build up to the new force limit its army (from 10 to 13) and its navy (to 16, by building 3 new light ships and 3 galleys).

The Bosnian capital surrendered in July 1460. With a score of 100%, it is time to sign peace. Bosnia had 5 provinces and I can take four without raising a coalition: the two catholic provinces (Zachlumie and Donji Kraji) and two orthdow (Bosna and Vissoko). Bosna is then reduced to a province, Travonia, surrounded by Albanian land. This was the plan and having Bosnia surviving allows me to humiliate it too, so raising my power projection above 100 !

Below the situation at the start of the 1460s, just after Bosnian surrender:

Attachments

• 1460 End of Bosnian war.jpg
    1460 End of Bosnian war.jpg
    426,2 KB · Views: 81
1st August 1460 ticks in and Bosnia, now too weak, is no more my rival. This brings my power projection to 130, with -10/year, so at 3 years at 100+ and 11 years (as some modifiers are below 10 points) at 50+.

I open the screen to chose a new rival, hoping to be big enough to have Aragon and start working on moving westwards, now as I have grown in Balkans. Aragon is not here... but the Ottomans are !!! Again, as Venice before, they are far stronger than me (+166% army, +235% navy) but I think either my alliance or the fact that held one of my cores enables me to rival them. And I do it.

Other possible vassals are Wallachia (still not interested), Hungary (I like them better as allies) and Papal States (no, no, no, I want the Pope to like me. By the way, it was a good idea to send a diplomat to it, I increased relationship by +20 and my relation is only +11 once the AE for Bosnia has been counted, so if I did nothing I will be in negative and possibly excommunicated).

So I am now Ottoman's rival. Not bad for a small principality. Since Venice is Curia controller, they had decreeted a crusade against Ottoman, that will last until 1485. So it's the ideal time to attack them. But first let's build some strength. I am already allied with two of their rivals, Austria and Hungary, but I am gaining very slowly favor with them (1 point every 4 years for Austria and 1 every 3 years for Hungary). Their third rival is the Mamluks, and since I took Creete from Venice I am their neighbour. So allying them too will be nice. Reasons for accepting me once I have rivalled the Ottos are +35, reasons for not accepting are -1048, but with a -1000 modifier because they are hostile for me. If I increase relationship with them by +100, and they change their attitude, an alliance can be concluded. So I sent a diplomat to work on it.

During the recent wars, my tech had increased to 5/4/5. So I can choose a first set of idea. I decide to take Influence and bought the first idea.

In April 1461, Venice accepted a peace offer of the Ottomans and gave them Negroponte and its two vassals, Corfu and Naxos.

In August Ragusa is the second of my provinces to have 100% of Renaissance, and that allows me to buy it for 107 ducats as I have 173.

In September I have the choice to welcome refugees from Byzantium. Paying 80 MP (50 ADM and 30 DIP) for -10% to tech cost for 30 years and +5 prestige is a good deal, so I take it. And this allows me to reach mil tech 6 in November 1461. I am actually one tech ahead of the Ottos, but probably not for long?

At this date, my chance to ally the Mamluks is +52 on the positive side, -1045 on the negative one. So changing their attitude could help. I put mine towards them as friendly.

In March 1462, all four provinces taken to Bosnia in last war are cored, and I can create two more states (Bosnia and Croatia) and fully core these provinces. Three of four are of Serbian culture, that I have already accepted.

And in August 1462, the Mamluks changed their attitude towards me from Hostile to Friendly, and I can ally them !!! I did it, even if it brings me above my diplo limit.

A little check of the military forces if I attack the Ottos now: my side (Albania, Mamluks, Hungary, Moldavia, East Frisia) will have 72k men and 62 ships, including 22 galleys, the enemy (Ottomans, Tunis, Ramazan, Hsin Kayfa) 63k men and 63 ships, including 29 galleys. A little too short.

While I search another ally to join, Serbia proposes me a royal mariage (it is now loyal as the impact of forced vassalization has decayed) and I shared Renaissance with the Mamluks for +3 ducats/month.

I use this extra money to hire two more advisors (+1 diplo rep and +10% force limit). And I have found the probable perfect extra ally against the Ottos: Genoa. It has claims on Otto land and a strong navy. Alliance with them is at -16, so possible.

In the mean time I built units to my new force limit (17) and also built an extra galley, even if it brings me above naval limit.

In October 1462, Creete is finally cored and I create a state there too. This enables me to complete the mission to conquer 5 new states.

In January 1463, Genoa changed its attitude towards me and we can conclude an alliance. And they are OK to attack the Ottos for land.

And so on 1 March 1463, after putting in place my troops and ships, I am ready to attack... and Hungary won't join as it has probably bought Renaissance and has 450 of debts... NOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!! It would have been so nice to attack the Ottos with Skandenberg leading.
1463 No War against the Ottos.jpg

So I will wait. In January 1465, the Bosnian separatists revolt while I am busy converting their Orthodox provinces, and I sent Skandenberg with 17k men to crush them. An easy victory, that then allows me to decrease autonomy in all Bosnian provinces.

And I stop here for IRL reasons.

March 1465, while waiting for Hungary to come out of debt, I sent some insults to the Ottomans, as my PP is below 100. How sweet it is !

April 1465. I reach ADM tech 6 and proclamed the Haeretico Comburedo. Also I forced my vassal Serbia to adopt catholicism, so he will convert its province before I integrate it.

September 1465. Ottomans attacked Aq Qoyunlu. Ramazan, that is allied to both, courageously side with the defender. Hisn Kayfa and Otto's vassal Dukaldir join the attacker. It could be an opprtunity to attack them but Hungary is still too much in debt and the Mamluks are busy fighting Arabian tribes. At least the Ottos lost an ally (Ramazan).

In 1466 a church is built in Lezhe. The same year Serbia, whose debt has increased to over 400 ducats, gives up and declares bankruptcy. And the Ottomans annexed Ramazan.

In 1467 a workshop is built in Lezhe. In February Aq Qoyunlu is defeated and gives 4 provinces to the Ottomans, 3 to Dukaldir and 1 to Hisn Kayfa. It is reduced to one province. After this victory, the Ottomans entered their Golden Age.

In 1468 the Serbian nobility revolted with 6k. The Albanian army crushed it without Skandenberg leaving his palace. The knowledge sharing with Mamluks ended and I start a new one with Bohemia.

In AUgust 1469 I reach the limit of 999 MIL MP. I use 99 to develop Durres (+3 MIL). In November the Ottomans rivalled me in return of my own rivalry.

In January 1470, Hungary has no more heavy debts and is ready to help against the Ottomans. So the Albanian Crusade is launched with on my side Albania and its two vassals Serbia and East Frisia, Hungary and its vassal Moldovia, the Mamluks and their vassal Shammar, and Genoa. All three of my allies have been promised land. On the Ottoman side are its two vassals Dulkadir and Hisn Kayfa, and its two allies, Tunis (that I declared as co-belligerent as it is only allied to the Ottos) and al-Fadli, that I don't know, probably an Arabian tribe.

I can't see in game the military force of al-Fadli, but if we ignore it, the Albanian side has a total of 89k men, 2 heavy ships, 29 light ships, 32 galleys and 26 transports, while the Ottoman side has 66k men, 10 light ships, 21 galleys and 24 transports.

My war plan is to occupy all the European provinces of the Ottoman empire, with the help of Hungary at least, and let the Mamluks handle the war on the Anatolian side, and possibly against Tunis too, possibly with Genoa help. Best scenario TBH would be that they invade Tunis while the Ottos will invade them.

As for the immediate plans, both Ottoman forts in Corfu and Anabolu are unmanned, so I plan to rush to siege them before the garrison increases. My fleet is off Tunisia to pick some isolated ships at war start.

By the way AL-Fadli is a two province state surrounded by the Mamluks, with a 4k army.

War start with a naval victory, my fleet catching 3 Tunisian galleys off Tunisia. Two are sunk and the third is captured. In April another naval victory off Corfu by a joint Hungarian-Genoan-Albanian fleet against the main body of Ottoman galleys (13), of which 3 are sunk. At this stage Mameluk and Genoan ships are holding the Aegean and Moldovian ships are in the Bosphorus and the Ottomans have lost control of the sea. In June the main Mamluk army surprises the army of Al-Faldli sieging Haleb and wipes it. In September the Hungarian army that had taken the northern path over the Black Sea reaches the Ottoman NE border, defended by 13k Ottos. Another Ottoman army (17k) is besieging the Hungarian fort of Temes, and a third (20k) is in Greece retaking the provinces I occupied. My main army just took Anabolu after breaching the walls in an assault against the 144 men of the garrison. The Tunisian army has invaded the Mamluk and the main army of the latter is marching towards them, the second smaller Mamluk army besieging the capital of al-Fadli to finish them. In October, an Hungarian army destroyed the small Dulkadir army in a battle east of Erzurum. In December the Ottomans lost two more naval battles, one when their galleys try to leave Corfu and another when their other ships try to clean the Bosphorus from Mamluk and Moldovian galleys. An Hungarian army is defeated in Erzurum by Ottoman rebels (particularists) rising at a bad time.

January 1471 see two opposite army swipes: a 10k Hungarian army by 13k Ottoman in Circassia, and the 15k Tunisian army by a 19k Mamluk one in Syrte. The same month the walls of Corfu fort are breached and an assault is launched against the 100 men of the garrison. The fort fell and the 9 remaining Ottoman galleys are forced to leave the port and ran into my fleet waiting off the island, and 4 are sunk. The 5 remaining flee in the port of Yanya... that fell to my troops some days later. They are again forced to sea and all sunk. The proud galley fleet of the Ottomans is gone !!! In May the Albanian army led by Skandenberg destroys the 3k army of Hsin Kayfa that was besieging the Serbian capital of Branicevo, then attacks the 20k Ottomans besieging the Hungarian fort of Temes. Sadly Skandenberg, who already reached an old age, is killed in the battle. The Albanian won but the cost is high. Another bad news this month, the Mamluk army besieging the capital of al-Fadli is wiped by an Ottoman one. And a good one, Tlemcem and his ally Morocco invade Tunis, without the Ottos helping their ally.
Below a map just after Skandenberg death:
1471 Skandenberg death.jpg

In August, Djerid also declared on Tunis, and as I have no plan to invade it, I sent my fleet off their capital, and their situation is bad enough to accept to give me war repairs and some money against peace. In September the main Mamluk army lays siege again on the capital of al-Faldi and defeats a 18k Otto army. At the same time, Albanian, Serbian, Moldavian and Hungarian troops are besieging both Selanik and Edirne. And in October Genoan troops lay siege to Constantinople itself, but they quickly retreat when two strong Otto armies arrive. In December these armies (30k Otto) fought neat Kirkkilise 28k Allied (Genoan, Hungarian and Albanian) and won, even if losses are equal on both sides. One of the Ottoman armies then destroyed the Moldavian army that was still besieging Edirne.

In February 1472, Albania reached mil tech 7 and immediately starts to build artillery units, probably the first in the world. In April, Tadmor, the capital of al-Fadli, finally fell and is occupied by the Mamluks. In June Selanik surrendered, all Allied armies having gathered there after the Ottoman victories in December. The Turks then did not dare attack them and return in Anatolia, maybe to oppose the Mamluks. But the same day that Selanik fell, so did the Mamluk fort of Haleb. In July, while all known Otto armies are invading the Mamluks, Albanian, Hungarian and Serbian troops return to siege Erdine, and again Genoan went alone to Constantinople. In September, before the Ottoman retook al-Fadli land, I signed peace with them: they give one province to Mamluks, money and war rep to me and break the alliance with the Ottos. The first Albanian artillery units reach Edirne in November, but the city resists. In the east, Damas fell this month to the Ottomans.

Edirne fell in March 1473. In May the Ottomans took Cairo, the Mamluk capital, whose army is busy fighting rebels in Arabia rather than defending its land. More north a small Albanian army has landed in Anatolia and is occupying the coast, forcing the remains of the Otto fleet into the jaws of the Allied fleets occupying the Bosphorus. In December, while Constantinople is ready to fall and the Ottomans still busy conquering Egypt, I can choose my first Age hability and I take the one reducing the AE. And Constantinople fell before the end of the year. Now, all I have to wait is that the Mamluks asked peace, and then I will force the Ottos to my terms.

1474 Ottoman war.jpg

Situation at the start of 1474: Egypt is almost fully occupied by the Ottos, with teh Mamluk army going north to ... Crimea ? and fighting Qara Qoyunlu rebels on the way. All European provinces of teh Otto are conquered, except the ones that were retaken by Ottoman noble rebels, and the main Allied army is crossing the Bosphorus to siege Koaceli.

In April the Mamluks concluded peace with the Ottomans. They give back the province of al-Fadli that they took in this war and release Bedjas, a small country in Nubia.

And just after I decided to sign peace, as the Ottoman rebels will take the war goal, Sofya. I gave Silistre to Hungary and Biga, in Anatolia, to Genoa (that is not satisfied, but with -6 confiance only) and took for me Avlyona (the last province of Albania state not under my control, and a full core), Selanik and Edirne, and for my Serbian vassal Uskup and Sofya.
1474 Ottoman war end.jpg

In June 1474, the game asks me to choose a third rival, and I pick Burgundy. They have France and Castille as rivals, and I may be interested in allying those one day.

In August, Venice apparently asks all members of its league (Bosnia, the Knights, Ravensburg, Frisa and Dithmarshe) to embargo me.

In May 1475, I milk the burghers and the nobility each for 150 MPs. This allow me to buy the third influence idea (-25% annexation cost) and have the first Albanian national idea (+20% force limit).

In July one of my diplomats fabricate a claim on Constantinople for the next war, and another a claim on Capitanate, in the Kingdom of Napoli. Another claim is fabricated on Salento before the end of the year thanks to an event. This is to prepare the expansion westwards.

In October Qara Qoyulu rivalled us.

In December I reach ADM tech 7. Thanks to Skandenberg, I have a good advance and innovation is now at 17.

In December 1476 Tunis asked Tlemcem for peace and gives it half of its territory (everything west of Tunis).

In May 1477 the provinces of Macedonia (formerly Selanik) and Edirne are cored, and I create two states and fully core them.

In July I launch the annexation process of Serbia. With the mission and the Influence idea, the cost is only 176, and it will take 2.5 years. I was hoping that Serbia will convert its province or at least core Sofiya, but it has done nothing since several years, so I give up and integrate it.

In August 16k Byzantine separatists revolt in Edirne. The Albanian army that was waiting in Macedonia crushed them ASAP, and the autonomy of both Macedonia and Edirne is then lowered by 25%.

In October the Ottomans attack their eastern neighbour, Qara Qoyunlu.

In June I milk the clergy for 150 ADM MP and with them bought the first idea of the Humanist idea group, to increase my religious unity. The same month 17k Bosnian separatists revolt and are crushed immediately by the Albanian army. In October it is in Serbia that Bulgarian separatists rise. The Albanian army crushed one 6k stack and the other crossed the border into Ottoman Bulgaria.

In June 1479 the Iberian Wedding took place. Aragon and Naples became minor partners of Castille.

On 1st February 1480 the integration of Serbia is done. Albania continues to grow but religious unity is still an issue, at 75% even with humanist idea.
1480 Serbia integrated.jpg

In July 1480 Qara Qoyunlu begs the Ottoman for peace and gives them 10 provinces. The monster is not dead yet.

In 1481 a workshop is built in Ragusa. And Sofia is cored and transformed in a state and full core.

On 12 August 1481, the prince Gjon II died at the age of 60. His son Pjeter is only 9 years old and so his consort, a Serbian princess, became regent. She is not incompetent, but his only trait raises unrest by 2 and Albania is already unstable enough without it. I wanted to take a screen and finally took it two years later:
1483 Regency.jpg

In May 1483 10k Bulgarian separatists revolt in Sofia. We let them occupy it then cross the Ottoman border. The Turks crushed them early the next year.

In June 1484, bad news: the Austrian emperor died and his son is too young. A regency is decreeted and the Hasburgs lost the imperial title, that went to Palatinate.

In October 1484 the Greek culture became accepted in Albania.

In 1486, the country prepares for the second round against the Ottomans: the forts are manned, the army is brought to the new force limit (thanks to a loan) and a diplomat is sent to Wallachia.

In December, Pjeter I has 15 years and became Prince of Albania.

In February 1487, Wallachia agreed to join the anti-Ottoman alliance. The Albanian fleet sails towards Tunisia and a decree is issued to boost Edirne defences (first time I do it, it is a test). At the end of the month the Mamluks paid our debt of 107 ducats.

And on 1 March 1487, I declared war again on the Ottomans. I called in the Mamluks, Genoa and Hungary (and its vassal Moldavia) for favor, and Wallachia for land. Ottomans is joined by its allies Tunis (declared as co-belligerent), al-Fadli and Najd, and its vassal Hsin Kayfa.
1487 Start Second Round.jpg

Here is the details of the forces at the start of the war:
(country inf/cav/art ships)
Ottomans 39/15/0 0/3/22/8
Tunis 6/1/0 0/0/3/11
Najd 5/1/0 -
Hisn Kayfa 2/0/0 -
Al-Fadli 6/1/0 -

Bad guys 58/18/0 0/3/25/19

Albania 23/2/4 0/6/12/3
Mamluks 25/6/0 0/7/10/14
Hungary 15/5/0 0/5/10/0
Genoa 6/4/3 2/7/3/9
Wallachia 6/1/0 0/0/0/0
East Frisia 3/1/0 0/6/0/0
Moldavia 2/0/0 0/0/4/1

Good guys 80/19/7 2/31/39/27

My plan is the following:
1) again let the Mamluk do a great part of the work and probably be defeated in the process.
2) take control of the seas and sink the Ottoman fleet again.
3) with my army, first occupt Greece, then with allies the other European provinces.
4) a variant this time: I would like to land in Tunisia and take some land there to prepare the move westwards and also have the Age objective of being in two continents.

While my army is invading Greece and besieging both Corfu and Anabolu, the whole Ottoman army crosses the Bosphorus. 23k siege Edirne and 28k continue northwards. The second takes the Hungarian province of Durostol and then marches SW and surprises the Wallachian army near Selanik in July, then marches north and ambushes the main Hungarian Army (14k) in August, destroying both without big losses. The Ottoman also sank some Mamluk ships off Syria the same month. But the victorious Ottoman fleet (22 galleys) is ambushed in September by the Albanian, Genoan, Moldavian and Mamluk navies when it returns to the Aegean and lost 8 ships sunk and 2 captured. In October the Albanian troops took the fort of Corfu. In November the Ottoman army that besieged Selanik left and crossed again the Bosphrorus, leaving only the smaller one besieging Edirne.

1488 NW Front.jpg

Map of the Aegean front on 1st January 1488. Notice the Ottoman galley fleet hidden in an island that I will soon take and my navy waiting them (and hoping other will come once the battle starts).
Elsewhere the Mamluks are besieging the capital of Najd, while various enemy troops will soon take their fort of Haleb more north. The Genoan navy is blockading Tunis, and the army of the latter is at the Egyptian border and crosses it during the month.

In February the Aegean island fell and the 15 Ottoman galleys are forced to sail and meet my fleet, that sank 2 and captured 4. Just after this defeat, the Ottoman army sieging Edirne leaves before the 40k Allied men gathered in Selanik can attack them. The other Ottoman army appears on the Mamluk border and then turns back. In March the Mamluk fort of Haleb surrenders. In May the Mamluks took the capital of Najd and I forced them to ask peace, pay war repairs and break all alliance for 10 prestige (6 for Albania). In June 45k Allied troops gathered in Durostol, near the 23k Ottoman besieging Bassarabia, but all except Albanian then march south rather than engage them. The Hungarian went to siege Constantinople and the Wallachian and Moldavian crossed the Bosphorus to siege Sugla. In July the Albanian troops captured the fort of Anabolu after 17 months of siege. In September the Mamluk defeat the Tunisian army that was sieging Alexandria. In October 3k Albanian (all that the fleet can carry) land in Misrata, in Libya. The idea was to occupy undefended land but the retreating Tunisian army is returning to this area. The Mamluk army is chasing it on the other hand, letting the Otto conquer Syria. The same month Bassarabia surrenders to the Ottomans. This enemy army then marches north and "disappears" in Lithuania.

1489 General Map.jpg

General map on 1st January 1489. The reinforced Albanian army in Africa has intercepted the retreating Tunisian army and will crush it with Mamluk help. Sugla and Constantinople are both ready to fall. The two Otto armies are missing: the 28k one left Syria northwards, possibly towards Constantinople, the 22k crosses Crimea and just entered Circassia, probably to return to Anatolia. The nine remaining Otto galleys are in Sugla, with 18 Albanian galleys waiting them offshore.

In January, the Tunisian army is beaten but not destroyed, and the army of al-Fadli takes the Mamluk fort of Damas. In March the main Ottoman army destroys the Wallachian and Moldavian armies sieging Sugla. In May the Mamluk fleet won a naval battle off Syria. In June the main Ottoman army swipes another Allied army, the Genoan one. It is the fourth wipe by this army since the start of the war.... My army is busy sieging Constantinople that is at 57% since four months but refuses to surrender.... until the 17th of June. I have forgotten to say that Constantinople is my war goal. At least the war score becomes green. The Albanian army then marches north to retake Bassarabia. In Africa, as the Mamluks have left the Tunisian soil, our small army also retreats before the reconstituted Tunisian army and marches to Syria. In December this army and a Mamluk army are defeated by the 28k Ottoman army in Jawf, in Arabia. At least this time it is not a swipe. But some begin to call it the Invincible Army, and it is bad for the morale.

1490 General Map.jpg

Situation on 1st January 1490. The Tunisians are busy reclaiming their country. The Mamluks and my African army retreat. Half of my army had crossed the Boshorus and will occupy undefended land again, while the other half (with all artillery) is sieging Basarabia, and then will probably go to Crimea with Allied troops to intercept the small Otto army here. I did not notice that the Mamluks were in Circassia (and marching north) before commenting this map. What are they doing there ?

February 1490 saw the Phantom Kingdom event. In March the 28k Otto super army lay siege to Cairo. My African army is leaving what remains of Mamluk forces in Egypte (13k men, and 3k of mine) back to Tunis land before the Mamluks will be forced to surrender. My Bosphorus army starts to siege Koaceli. In June the Ottoman leave Cairo before taking it, maybe because my Bosphorus army has started to occupy a good part of Anatolia outside forts. In August Basarabia is liberated and all Albanian and Allied forces in the area are ordered to Koaleci before the Ottoman army arrives here from Egypt. It works and as the Otto retakes some worthless land, Koaceli fell in late December.

1491 General Map.jpg

And the tradinionatl map for 1st January 1491. An Albanian-Mamluk army is sieging Tunis. My few transport ships will bring artillery there soon. The Tunisian army is besieging Alexandria, while a small Mamluk army will attack the same size army of al-fadli in Palestina. More north the main Mamluk army has returned south from Crimea and is sieging Diyarbekir. In Western Anatolia Koaceli just fell, and 45k Allied faced 27k Ottoman... and won't attack them, but rather the armies that are invading Moldavia more north.

In January 1491, the Mamluk army beat the al-Fadli one near Jerusalem. In March the main Albanian army destroys the small army of Hsin Kayfa that was sieging the Moldavian capital but the Ottoman captured again Basarabia. In July the city of Tunis surrenders. The Tunisian fleet should leave the port and is decimated and then an Albanian diplomat is sent to the Sultan. Peace is proposed against the city of Tunis, war repairs and 195 ducats (85 for Albania). The Tunisians have enough and agree to the terms, and Albania set a foot on another continent.
In September the Ottomans took Sucaeva, the Moldavian capital. And they proposed peace to Mamluks, who gave them some money. In December the remaining Ottoman fleet is defeated by the Genoan one off Cilicia, while the Hungarian army is defeated by an Ottoman one in Moldavia.

On 3 January 1492, the Albanian army liberates for the second time Basarabia. And the prince Pjeter I decides it is enough, especially as the Otto Super Army will destroy another Allied army soon near Sugla. The peace deal he sent to the Ottomans is still harsh: Albania take Constantinople and Sinop (a fort province on the Black Sea coast, from where Caucasus can be reached) and the Ottomans will pay war reparations and 522 ducats (235 for Albania).
1492 last day of the war.jpg

Final map: last day of the war.

It is great to see this run being successful after so many attempts.

It is great to see this run being successful after so many attempts.

Yes, it seems that all this bad luck had finally been replaced by a concentration a good luck, with Skandenberg lasting 26 years, all events giving +3 stab for free and the possibility to ally Austria because they don't exceed their diplo relation limit, something that they almost always do. Another good things were the facts that the Ottomans did not take any Serbian province before me, and that Hungary or Venice did not attack Bosnia during my truce.

Now back to the AAR.

After the peace with the Ottomans in January 1492, it is time to reorganize. First thing I stop the defense edict in Edirne. This probably did a lot to stop the Ottomans to take the fort and so shorten thewar. It is definetly worth it when fighting against the Ottomans and their siege bonus.

As for merchants, I have already moved one from the Venice node to Constantinople after I took it. I just sent my light ships there too.

The new conquests have pushed my surexpansion to 66%, my national unrest to +0.68 (various king deaths have lowered my stability to 0) and my religious unity to 83% (despite the humanistbonus of +25%). First thing I do is asking the clergy for a theologian advisor and putting him in place, so at least unrest modifier is negative. I also use 75 DIP MPs to lower warexhaustion and bring the unrest to -3.31.

Regarding surexpansion, Tunis is already coring. Constantinople, part of the Thrace state and biggest province in the world known to me with 38 DEV, is costing 276 points, and Sinop 40. Ihave 67 and I pay immediatelly for Sinop. I also rise the local autonomy there to 100% as I don't care much about the money I can earn here. What is important is the fact that this province givesme access to the Caucasus for forging claims.

I sent a missionary to Sofia (with the united religion edict, it will still take 52 months).

Once all of this is done, I lose 4.4 ducats a month. I pay back the loan I take during the war and have now 211 in my treasure, enough to cover the 4 year phase of coring that will follow.Still I reduce my costs by razing the fort in the Macedonia province. With two forts in Edirne and Constantinople keeping the Bosphorus, the former is no more necessary. This reduces mydeficit to 3 ducats a month.

Once all this is done, my main issue is that my young king Pjeter I has no wife and no heir. And if he died, I will become the minor partner of Hungary or Austria, that will fight in a succession war. Problem is that I have 5 allies and 1 vassal. I have already a royal mariage with Austria, Hungary and East Frisia, and can't have one with Genoa (republic) and the Mamluks.The last available ally is Wallachia... but I don't want to keep them as ally. They contributed so little to the war against the Ottos that they did not lose any trust when they receive noland in the peace deal. So the first task of my diplomats is to cut this alliance. Despite the fact that I will again be at 2 above my diplo limit, I will then need to conclude anotherroyal mariage.

So I check who wants to marry me. 48 years ago only Bosnia was. My expansion since this date have changed this A LOT: every great European country except Muscovy will agree to marry me:France, England, Castille, Bohemia, Denmark, Poland. Austria and Hungary have already a mariage with me, Sweden, Aragon and Lithuania are minor partners.
1492 who wants to marry me.jpg

It pleases me... but choosing another big power will probably bring me more trouble that it is worth right now, either because my current allies are their rivals (Poland and Hungary, France and Austria) or because they are too far to help and may call me in wars I don't want to participate.

So I check the list of countries with no heir and there is the Duchy of Ferrara. The Duke is 65 years old, so my family could take the title quickly. The Duchy itself has 3 Italian provinces for a total of 44 dev. It has a border with my rival Venice and itself rivals and is rivalled by only three small Italian states, Mantova, Lucca and Florence. So it is a rather safe choice and I take it. The wedding of Prince Pejter and the daughter of the Duke of Ferrara, Gaia d'Este, is celebrated shortly later.

Then my diplomats could return to their task of expanding Albania. I have three possible fronts during the truce with the Ottomans that will end in 10 years in 1502:
1) there is still this one province Bosnia in the middle of my lands. It is part of the commercial league of Venice, my rival. I finally reached 10 favor with Austria, that will join this war, but I don't want to fight a war until my war exhaustion and AE have not gone down a little.
2) from Tunis, I will fabricate claims on Tlemcem land to advance towards Iberia.
3) from Sinope, I will fabricate claims on Samtskhe and Circassia in Caucasus area. This is the first task given to my diplomats. Circassia is allied to Muscovy so a not go, but Samtskhe is only allied to Circassia and so I can attack it and draw the latter without the Russian coming to play.

Oh by the way, my economy is well better than what I thought. Estimates were done with the Ottoman paying war repairs of 2.3 ducats. Once all their land has been liberated, they are paying in February 12.3 !!! The next months it fell to 4 and remained there. The Ottos had still the highest income in Europe at 41 ducats per month, but England, Mamluks and Venice are close (all between 40 and 35).

One of the problems I have with my future plans is the small number of my transport ships: I have only 3. And I am already well above my naval limit at 27/23. I have 6 light ships and 18 galleys. Fun fact: only 7 were built in an Albanian port, 10 are former Ottoman ships and 1 was taken from the Tunisian navy. But I don't need so much galleys. Venice is the second galley owner in Med and has only 9. So my idea is to sell 7 galleys and to build 5 transports ships to have a more equilibrate navy. I first target my allies: Austria buys 2 galleys for 20 ducats and Hungary 5 for 60. With the money I immediatly order the planned 5 transports.

And then I went to speed 5. Two events gave me 50 ADM points each in 1492, this certainly will help to core Constantinople. The old duke of Ferrara died without heir, but a von Hasburg inherited the duchy. Before the end of the year, I have no more deficit, mainly thanks to war repairs from the Ottos.

In January 1493, 17k Byzantine separatists rise in Macedonia. The 25k Albanian army was waiting for it in Edirne and is ready to crush them. But I decide to not send the army. The fort in Edirne is enough so that the rebels can take Macedonia without adding more separatism year, and I hope that they will go in Ottoman territory. In March I have enough ADM MPs to pay the full coring cost for Constantinople (267) and I fabricate a first claim in the Caucasus, for the province of Gourie belonging to Samtskhe. It is the only province reachable from this country, so I recall my diplomat and send it increasing relationship with the Pope. My other diplomat is in Circassia.

In March, the prince Pjeter and the princess Gaia have a son. It has a shitty name, Gjergj (how do you say this???) and bad values of 1/2/3, but at least there is no more risk of personal union.

In May the separatists from Macedonia move... to Edirne, and lay siege to it. So the Albanian army is sent to take care of them. It cost 3300 men, more than our manpower reserves.
In June Castille rivals me. I knew I would have to fight it one day, but that is unexpected at this stage.
In August my diplomat fabricate a claim on the Circassian province of Adyngue, and remains in place as two other coastal provinces are reachable.

In September, an unexpected event changes the diplomatic situation in the Caucasus. Some years ago Samtskhe and its ally Circassia attacked Trebizond, and Theodoros joined the latter. In a classical EU4 pattern, the attackers have occupied Trebizond while Theodoros invaded Circassia, and the latter has been forced to peace and to cancel its alliance with Samtskhe. Damn, I was planning to use it to draw Circassia in a war. Still, that means that Samtskhe is now at war (even if it is winning) and without ally, and I have a claim on it. With my current surexpansion, conquer it will probably be a bad idea, but I can vassalize it (it had 35 dev).

Main issue is the lack of transport ships. Only 6 are available (2 more being built) so only 6k men can land in Samtskhe that has an army of 8k. I sent a galley to the Black Sea to check where its army is (marching to Theodoros will be perfect). And the transport fleet start to bring the army from Constantinople to Sinope, that is closer from Samtskhe. In October the ships are in place and see the whole Samtskhe army in Gourie, the only province of its territory where I can land. So the solution is to ask military access to Circassia and it is done quickly.

In December 1493, while the Albanian fleet is still busy carrying the army to Sinope, our Hungarian army calls us to arms against Bohemia, allied with Salzburg, Memmingen, Nuremberg and more important the HRE Emperor, the Palatinate. Florence, Austria and Moldavia are already engaged with Hungary, so that seems a fairly inegal fight in our favor, especially as Bohemia is already losing a war against Poland and Lithuania. I accept the call at arms, but with no intention to cancel my attack on Samtskhe.

In February 1494, the Albania forces are ready. 13k men are in Sinope, 7k abord ships ready to land in Circassia and 5k in Albania just in case. My force limit is now 31, but I lack manpower for regular units and money for mercenaries. The available troops should be more than enough. Samtskhe is still at war with Trebizonde (fully occupied) and Theodoros (free) with 58 war score. On Valentine Day, I declared war to Samtskhe for the province of Gourie. the day after 7k Albanian land in Circassia... and I discover that Ottomans had given access to Samtskhe and so my army can march from Sinope to the enemy country. Just after that an event dicreases my stability by 1 to -1, and I have not enough MPs to rise it. So the Circassia army reboard ships and sail back to Sinope while Circassia is informed we no more need access. In May, Trebizonde surrenders to Samtskhe and is annexed. in June the whole Albanian army (including the 5k men left in Albania at start) are besieging Trebizonde. In September stability is increased to 0 at the cost of 150 ADM.

In January 1495 I used MIL MP to keep down Ottoman separatists in Constantinople and more for Orthodox fanatics in Sofia. In March Trebizond fell. The Albanian army marches to Taro and attacks the 8k enemy army in the mountains. The enemy general is better and if the battle is won, Albanian losses are higher than the enemy ones. I also discover that the enemy capital is under siege by 9k rebels of Samtskhe nobility. The remains of the Samtskhe army cross the sieged capital and march to Tbilissi beyond it. In June I ask my nobles for more troops and received 5k men, not enough to cover losses. This month Albanian troops occupy Tao and Gouri. The small Samtskhe navy based at the latter is forced to sea and destroyed by my fleet that captures a light ship. In July I decide to propose peace to Samtskhe. Continuing the invasion will require two battles and a siege against a level 3 fort in mountains, and will cost me more manpower. And with current score, I can ask for Trebizonde, Gourie and Lomsia, the enemy capital, and 120 ducats. This will give me access to Qara Qoyunlu, that has no allies and only MIL tech 6, against 8 for me and Samtskhe.
1494 end of Samkhte war.jpg

Just after the war coring is started for Gourie and Trebizonde. The province of Kars (the new name of Lomsia) is too far to be cored yet. Like Sinope, Gourie and Kars are not important for my economy and I rised autonomy to 100% to reduce unrest. Trebizond could be useful and remains at 75%. And the Samtskhe nobility rebels leave Kars and march to Tao, the new capital of their country, whose army is trapped in Tiblissi. I also send a diplomat to fabricate a claim on Qara Qoyunlu.

During this time, the war started well for Hungary: Memmingen concedes defeat in November 1494 and Ausburg in May 1495. Then it loses an ally, Ferrara, that accepts white peace from the enemy. The war score went not high mainly because almost all Bohemia is occupied by Poland and its allies. Now that my little personal war is done, it is done to do something for my ally. My transports load 4 infantry and 4 artillery units in Gourie and sail them to Albania, the other will follow.

In November 1495, Constantinople is cored (fully as it is part of a state that existed before it was taken). I give it to the burghers, and can milk them after some more buttons for 150 DIP MPs. I used these and my reserve to buy the fifth idea of the Influence group that gives +2 diplo rep. It also boosts my trade in Constantinople node that rises from 1.4 to 3.5 ducats per month, almost bringing my economy in the positive (with five manned forts and army at full maintenance).

In December 16k Albanian troops are in Austria. They included my 5 artillery units, more than anybody in the conflict, so I decide to help with some sieges. In February 1496 my guns reach Salzburg, sieged without artillery by the Austrian army. Salzburg surrenders in March. The Albanian army marches to Nuremberg and reachs it in April. In May Bade, who joined the Emperor side against Hungary, surrenders. Nuremberg surrenders to the Albanian army in November. Reports that an Ottoman revolt is growing in Constantinople then convinces me to march my troops back to Albania. Nuremberg concedes defeat in January 1497, and Albania received 1 of the 45 ducats it gave. Thanks a lot !

In January 1497, an Albanian diplomat finishes to fabricate a claim on Karthi, the province of Qara Qoyunlu near our recent conquests. It has a fort but an unmanned one, so should be taken easily.

In May, Bohemia accepts a peace deal with Poland and gives it 5 provinces. This will allow Hungary and his allies to at least occupy the Bohemian territory and especially the war goal, Olomouc. The same month Liege accepted peace imposed by Hungary, leaving Bohemia with only one ally, the Palatinate.

In August, a chance event converts Sinope (a possession) to Catholicism. In September, 18k Ottoman separatists rise around Constantinople and siege the city. The Albanian army was waiting in Edirne and defeated them quickly, but a the cost of 6000 casualties.

In the north the Hungarian war against Bohemia is not going well. Many rebels took large parts of Hungary, while Palatinate troops retook their capital. The Albanian army again marches north to help.

In January 1498, I paid 116 ADM MPs to rise stability to 1. Elsewhere a diplomate forged a claim on Bizerte, a province belonging to Tlemcem. In April I can choose a new Age hability (I have reached 5 objectives, so can choose one every 6 years) and I chose the one giving +1 in battle in the same terrain as my capital (mountain). This will be useful for the next war in the Caucasus. This month too Gourie is cored and I can launch the coring of Kars. In May my artillery help the Hungarian to retake one fort held by rebels, and then my army marches towards Bohemia. In August Palatinate accepted to retire from the war, leaving Bohemia alone. In November Albanian guns assist the Austrian army to take the fort of Pilsen, and then march to Praha besieged by the Hungarians.

In February 1499, the Protestant Reformation starts in Münster. In March Praha fell after less than 6 months of siege, not bad for a lvl 3 fort. In May the last Bohemian province is occupied and Bohemia surrenders. Hungary took only one province (Olomouc), war repairs and money.

In June, everybody starts talking about the Ottomans preparing to attack Qara Qoyunlu. I am planning it too and want to be first, but the poor Sultanate had already increased its military preparation and the fort at my border is now fully manned. So no hurry, in July my fleet starts transporting my army from Macedonia to Gourie. In September Qara Qoyunlu is attacked, not by the Ottomans but by Gazikumuk and its allies Biapas and al-Fadli. The Ottos followed less than one week later. I wait until end October to have 16k men in Kars and then declare also and lay siege to the fort of Karthli, just before an Ottoman army reach it.

More north, in January 1500, a coalition of German states led by Brandenburg and including Austria attack Poland.

Karthli fell in May 1500. At this stage all the other provinces of the country are occupied by the Ottos, except the capital Tabriz, still under siege, and the fort of Chirvan taken by Gazikumuk. The same month, I buy the 5th Humanist idea (-10 years of separatism) and this gave me the third Albanian NI (+1 prestige/year)

In March 1501, I reach military tech 9, again before the Ottos. The same month Tabriz fell. Qara Qoyunlu has no more any troop or province but still don't surrender. The Albanian troops scatter to occupy a maximum of provinces if Qara Qoyunlu signed a separate peace with the Ottomans. But they did not and in March 1502, the situation is still the same when the truce between Albania and Ottomans is over. And still the same in July when rebels pop up and attack one of Albanian small armies, that is helped by others and crush them. In August Gazikumuk is the first to sign a peace deal with Qara Qoyunlu, taking Chirvan.

In January 1503, the Pope excommunicated France. Burgundy is Curia Controller.

In April 1503, Ottomans concluded the war with Qara Qoyunlu by taking 9 of their provinces. In June Albanian troops have occupied 7 of the 8 remaining provinces and are sieging the last one, the capital Tabriz.

In December 1503 I bought influence idea 6 (+1 diplo relation limit) and ADM tech 8. I also forged a claim on Erivan, one of the provinces the Ottos took from Qara Qoyunlu.

In February 1504 Tabriz fell and the war score is now 100. I finish the war by taking Karthli for me and vassalizing Qara Qoyunlu, with some bonus money.
1504 end of Qara Qoyunlu war.jpg

See the red country SE of Tabriz: Timurids.

And now time to go to bed.

The tendrils are out in the Caucuses.

I hope Castile does not prove too annoying.

The tendrils are out in the Caucuses.

I hope Castile does not prove too annoying.

Yes, the idea was to be able to reach all countries in Caucasus there to use all opportunities. Even if most survivors have powerful protectors (Muscovy for Circassia, Mamluks for Gazikumukh, Timurids for Biapas).
As for Castille, we should have fought one day anyway. As long as it did not ally with the Ottomans, it is OK.

Back in March 1504, I have not yet enough ADM points to core my new province of Karthli. I decide to give it back to Qara Qoyunlu, so their liberty desire goes down a little. As I had a claim on it, taking if in the peace deal was actually less costly than vassalizing the whole Qara Qoyunlu and allowed me to take some more money.

A minor issue is the fact that 60% of my army is near Tabriz with no path back to my land. I have to ask again military access to Gazikumukh to allow them to return.

I have now ADM tech 8 and so can pass the Act of Uniformity, giving +1% missionary strength against +10% institution embracement cost. A permanent bonus to help achieve more religious unity and so decrease unrest against more money spent every 50 years, it is a good bargain. This allows Nich, the last orthodox province of Serbia to be converted in June. The united religion edict here is then cancelled and another set in place in Macedonia state. With it converting Skopje will take 28 months and Macedonia 33. We start by the latter first, as the ratio "religious unity gain/duration" is better.

The truce with the Ottomans is over since 1502, but I will not start a new war now. Three of my allies (Austria, Genoa and Ferrara) are involved in other wars and won't join. My two diplomats are sent to Caucasus, one for increasing relationship will my new vassal Qara Qoyunlu, the other to forge a new claim in Samtskhé whose truce with me ends in 1506.

In June 1504, we learned that the Ottomans will soon attack our Hungarian ally. This is not good as my army is still split in three, with 8k in Constantinople, 7k sailing to it and 10k in Qara Qoyunlu land. The same month our ally Ferrara is defeated in a war against France and other Italian states and lose 2 of its 3 province, being reduced to Ferrara itself only.

The Albanian forces prepare to fight the Ottomans. The fleet carrying troops land them in Constantinople and all my ships (7 light, 11 galleys, 8 transports) gather in Bosphorus to block it. The Ottoman fleet (4 light ships, 7 galleys, 14 transports) will normally be too weak to force it. Our Constantinople army (15k) marches to the border of Ottoman Greece where there is a 10k Ottoman army. We then wait for the Ottoman attack... but nothing. The AI changed his mind, possibly due to my blocking of the Bosphorus.

Finally in July 1455 I order my fleet to leave the Bosphorus and go to pick up my army in the Caucasus and BANG, the Ottos attack Hungary to retake Durosztol. I answer the Hungarian call of arms and enters the war. Below are the starting forces.
1505 start Ottoman Hungarian war.jpg

Roughly equal on land, but the fact that the Ottomans have no artillery yet is not in their favor. Especially as their +33% siege bonus will disappear with the end of the Age of Discoveries in 44 months. At sea I missed the two heavy ships the Ottos have built but the most important in our area is the number of galleys and with the Hungarian fleet we have a huge superiority here.

As the war starts, I order my fleet to return to Bosphorus ASAP, my European army (15k) to invade Greece and defeat the local weaker Ottoman army and my Asian army (10k) to join with the Qara Qoyunlu one and wait for the Ottomans to move. The Ottoman fleet engaged mine off Bolu. I won, losing 1 galley to sink 1 light ship. I hoped a better result but this victory allow me to reach the Bosphorus before Ottoman troops could cross it. I also decided to use some 20 prestige to lower Qara Qoyunlu and make it a loyal vassal, in the hope its 3k army will follow me. Sadly they invade Ottoman territory instead. I had not yet modified their settings to avoid this, but it is quickly done. In August the Mamluks gave me 200 ducats to help me and I use them to build more units. In September I took two Greek provinces, while the local Ottoman army bypass me and marches to Durosztol. Most of my troupes there follow it, waiting for the Hungarian army to join before attacking. A small Otto army (8k) is besieging the isolaed province of Qara Qoyunlu in SE Anatolia, but where is the main Otto army is unknown yet. It is finally reported in December in SE Anatolia, with 28k men.
1506 General Map.jpg

Situation on 1st January 1506. I am occupying the last provinces without fort in Europe and will then siege Corfu and Anabolu. Almost all Hungarian troops crossed the Bosphorus to siege Kocaeli, probably a bad idea. The biggest Otto army was seen in SE Anatolia some weeks ago marching north. Another of 15k is sieging Tabriz and one of 10k that escaped from Greece has marched into Lithuania, probably to come back to Anatolia. My eastern army (10k, including 4 of my 5 artillery units) reinfirced by 3k from Qara Qoyunlu is in Kathli, waiting for more details of the direction taken by the big Otto army. The Ottoman fleet is scattered in several ports and probably not an issue anymore.

In February the 28k Otto army manages to intercept my Eastern army in Kakhetia, east of Karthli. The Albanian and Qara Qoyunlu infantry managed to protect my precious guns and the army retreated after losing 4k pikemen only, while the Ottos lost 2k infantrymen. The army is ordered to retreat to Constantinople to gather our forces. In May the coalition was against Poland end with the coalition leader giving money to Poland. Austria was in this war and may join our war now. In June my eastern army reaches Constantinople. My plan was to sent it to Greece, but the Ottoman armies are all in the east and the Hungarian siege of Kocaeli, almost without guns, is already at 7%. I decide to participate, as my extra guns will probably allow to take the city before Otto armis could arrive. The Hungarian have split in two, one army sieging Kocaeli and the other Sugla. The Ottoman army of Greece reaches E Anatolia in July after a march through Albania-Ottoman Bulgaria-Moldavia-Lithuania-Crimea-Circassia-Gazikumhul. In August Kocaeli surrenders to the Hungarian (with the help of Albanian guns). My eastern army then marches to Greece to help take Corfu and Anabolu. in September Hungarian troops took Hudavengar and an Ottoman fleet of 1 heavy ships, 2 light ships and 14 transports is force to sail in the Bosphorus where I wait them with all my war ships, 10 galleys and 7 light ships. An easy victory was expected but all other Otto fleets sailed to join the fight while the Hungarian army, roughly as powerful as me, is ... resting in Dalmatia. And my admiral retreats. No side lost any ship but the Bosphorus is now open. I have two forts in Edirne and Constantinople, and Hungary holds the one in Kocaeli, so it is not a big issue yet but still frustrating and may be enough for the AI to finally send its troops westwards. The Turk admiral did not use well its victory: he lets one heavy ship in the Bosphorus, sent the other other and his 7 galleys to the Aegean and its 2 light ships and 14 transports to Corfu, where my 8 transports are blockading to assist the siege. The next month my warships leave again Constantinople and capture the heavy ship in the Bosphorus before the other Otto warships arrived, but when these did they manage to sink 2 of my galleys and 1 light ship before the other escape again. My transports are also defeated off Corfu but without loss. Well, it's time for Hungarian sailors to come and help ! They finally left Dalmatia but a little too late. In November 10k Otto lay siege to Sinope. I convert it into a state (without full coring) and issued an edict to improve defence by 33%. And in December the main Otto army (28k) appeared in Huvandegar, while Corfu surrendered to Albanian troops.

1507 General Map.jpg

Map on 1st January 1507: Ottoman armies are sieging Tabriz and Sinope, their main one is in W Anatolia and is a threat to the two Hungarian armies sieging Sugla and Icel. Both Albanian and Ottoman war navies are in port repairing ships while the Hungarian galley fleet sails towards the Aegean held by the Ottoman transport fleet.

In January the Hungarian fleet arrives in Aegean. The Turk ships have fled to the Black Sea and the Ottoman fort of Sugla surrenders the same month. In April the last Otto holding in Europe, the fort of Anabolu, surrenders but at the same time Tabriz fell to the enemy in the east. In April I have an event that ends in my Prince becoming of Serbian cultur. It costs legimacy to my heir, but at 1/2/3 I will drop him as soon as I have enough prestige anyway. The same month the main Otto army destroys one of the two Hungarian armies in Saruhan. In July I sent my whole army across the Bosphorus and in August it reaches Ankara and launches an artillery barrage to breach the walls. The Ottoman dare not attack us. In November Sinope surrenders to the Ottos. In December the Ottomans recaptured Sugla, but their fort of Ankara is taken by my army.

1508 General Map.jpg

Map on 1st January 1508: almost all troops ob both sides are in western Anatolia. The fall of Ankara opened the road to Kastamonu, the Ottoman capital, that had only a lvl 1 fort. In the east most of Qara Qoyunlu has been occupied after the fall of Tabriz, but you can notice the separatists in Ottoman territory in Iraq.

The siege of Kastamonu by my army and navy and some Hungarian troops start in late January. In February Burgundy rivals me (it is my rival too). In April an enemy army crosses for the first time the Bosphorus, but it is only the small army of Hsin Kayfa, teh vassal of the Ottos, and they can't siege Edirne seriously. In May the Otto main army reaches Kagiri, just close of the besieged capital but dares not attack the Albanian and Hungarian armies gathered there. In June more enemy troops cross the Bosphorus and they start the siege of Edirne. As for Sinope before, I use a defence edict to improve my fort by 33%.
And in July as Kastamonu now has 57% probability to fall, the main Otto army, and another with 10k men come to engage the troops sieging it. 38k Otto vs 22k Albanian and 8k Hungarian, with better Otto troops and generals... We will lose. I'm sorry for poor Hungary, but I have enough of this war and don't want to be involved anymore. Hungary has 30% warscore and could probably have made peace before with some gain.
So I ask the Otto for peace just before their army attacks. I need an 8 point proposal and I find one, and a funny one: I transfer them my vassal East Frisia. I have little use of it except for money and minor bonuses, and it may create funny situations with the Ottos getting involved in NW Europe matters. It will also cost 200 DIP MP to the Ottos. And so it's a deal and I can go out of this war.

The poor Hungarian are slaughtered aroudn Kastamonu. Hungary had still a +16 warscore, but I am afraid they will suffer. The positive thing is that any Ottoman conquest will bring them closer to Austria and I may call them at arms next time. Still it is a pity that the Ottos can still win this kind of war.

In October I have enough ADM MPs to but ADM tech 9. My tech is now 9/6/9, so it is time to do something to increase DIP, and I set my national focus on it.

In November my army and my fleet are both in Gourie, and ready for the next phase. But that will be in the next post.

1509 came and with the Reformation Age. I have already two objectives: convert 10+ provinces and convert a country. And I am three ideas short to finish the Humanist group. The new Age also allows me to passe the Blasphemy Act, adding +1% to missionary strength against −1 tolerance of heretics. This bring my missionary strenght to +6.5% as i also use my papal influence of 100 to rise stability to 3. Skopje is converted in April, and my missionary is sent to Crete. With the religious edict, conversion will take 19 months. Still I can't still not convert Constantinople or Tunis.

By the way Colonialism also started two years earlier, in 1507, in Porto, Portugal. And it is expanding very slowly from there: so far only half of Castille has heard of it.

I am ready to attack Samtskhe. But my army is still missing 6000 men and my manpower is at 0. So I wait a little. Samtskhe is allied to Circassia again, and to Musha'sha'iya too. The latter is not on my map but was before being defeated by the Ottos some decades ago. It should not be really strong.

In September, even if my army is still missing 5000 men, I decide to attack. I will just avoid battles. The war goal is to take Tao, the capital province of Samtskhe, and I have also forged claims on two provinces of Circassia. I did not even check but the Mamluks propose to join. I prefer keeping them for the next war against the Ottos. As expected the Samtskhe army marches to Circassia, and the Circassian one marches somewhere north of the Caucasus mountains. So in November Albanian troops occupy without any fight the Samtskhe province of Tbilissi and the Circassian ones of Imeretia and Odishi. In December the main Albania army reach the Circassian capital and lay siege to it. In January, the Musha'sha'iya army reaches Tabriz and starts to siege it. Except that they had only 8k men and it is a lvl 3 fort...
In January and February 1510 some Albanian troops occupy the coastal provinces of Adygue and Abkhazia, forcing the Circassian fleet to sea where the Albanian warships welcome them. They capture a transport and sink all other ships (4 light ships, 5 galleys, 3 transports). In March Tao, the Samtskhe capital (and the war goal) fall. All Albanian guns are there and they march north to the Circassian capital. In May the unit Samtskhe and Circassian armies (15k) appear at the eastern end of the Caucasus mountain range and enter Qara Qoyunlu territory. The same month, I have enough DIP MPs to buy the last idea of the influence group, that gives me some more force limit with vassals, but also -50% on unjustified demands. Still in May the Circassian capital fell, and their two last provinces east of it. Then I force them to accept peace. They give Odishi and 135 ducats to Albania and Imeretia to Qara Qoyunlu. In July 9k Albanian men board ships and sail back to Croatia. The reason: the commercial league of Venice has crumbled due to Venice having negative prestige (bankruptcy?) and Bosnia, the OPM in the middle of my country had so no more allied. So I can attack it... except that my claim on Travonia is long gone. I sent a diplomat to reclaim it. In November peace is also agreed with Samtskhe that gives Tao, war repairs and converts to Catholic faith.

The same month Crete is converted to Catholic faith and the missionary is sent to Edirne.

In 1511 my fleet brings back my whole army to Croatia. Three more transports are ordered. In June two rebel Ottoman armies crossed my border and fought near Trebizonde: peasants against a pretender. The peasants won, then lay siege to the city and finally left at the end of the year. The same month Hungary concedes defeat to the Ottos, giving them 5 province and 1 to Bohemia. The Otto territory is full of rebels, including Qara Qoyunlu that may finish with my vassal if they succeed.

In January 1512, the claim on Bosnia is ready and the war is started. In February the small Bosnian army is destroyed near Zeta then the enemy province is besieged. In September the enemy capital fell and I integrate it in my country.

Just after a event about the "people religion" occurs. The choice I prefer would have set clergy influence to over 100, so I took the other that sets their loyalty below 40. This is solved by giving them two Bosnian provinces.

1512 Albanian Empire.jpg

Albania in 1512: 295 dev in 27 provinces, with a vassal, Qara Qoyunlu, at 73 dev in 8 princes. Combined we have 10 of the 76 provinces needed for the Albania or Iberia achievement.

In December 1512, my army is gathered in Macedonia and starts training. Edirne is converted to Catholic faith, bringing my religious unity to 95% (with the Humanist bonus). All states are now converted, except Constantinople, that is too big. So I create a new state, just with the province of Trebizond, and starts converting it (23 months with the edict).

In November 1513, I reach mil tech 10, which allows me to improve both my cavalry and my artillery units.

In January 1514 the bishop of Macedonia became the first Albanian cardinal. In February, with the truce with the Ottomans ending in June, the Albanian stops training to be ready just in case. I also realize that Naples is now independant from Castille, I don't why or when it took place. They are allied with Castille and the Papal States, so not an easy target anyway, but I still send a diplomat to forge a claim on one of their province.
During most of 1513 there is a civil war in my vassal Qara Qoyunlu following the death of the Malik. His son and a pretender fought for the throne, and the latter won in July 1514. I let them fight, and the end result is that the army of my vassal, that had only 3k men, had in the end 8k with the biggest pretender army being integrated. On the other hand its become disloyal but I sent a diplomat to improve relationship.
In November I buy diplo tech 7. I now have 9/7/10. The same month Trebizond converts to Catholicism.
In December an event provide me with +1% missionay strengh against +5% tech cost for 10 years. With this and the religious edict, I can convert Constantinople in 5 years and I send my missionary there.

In March 1515, I buy Humanist idea number 5 (+2 accepted cultures).

I spend a lot of time watching countries around, but I have no easy target. The Ottomans now have 59k men, 66k with allies, and with Qara Qoyunlu, Austria, Genoa and Mamluks I will have 101k but past experience show me that Otto troops are still superior. I would like to progress in North Africa towards Spain, and so attack the allied trio Tlemcen-Morocco-Djerid, but only Genoa will follow me and we will start with equal forces. Should be OK, but if the Ottoman then attack me I will be in trouble. Other countries that I can reach and I have no truce, Tunis, Naples, Venice, Gazikumukh, all have powerful allies. As my manpower pool is depleted, I so wait for any opportunity.
Oh, I write this just before I find a possible easy target: the Knights have no more ally since the commercial league of Venice crumbled, so I start forging a claim on them.

In August I have 49 prestige, and I decide to disinherit mon son Gjergj (1/2/3 skills). Once it is done, I have a risk of becoming a minor PU partner (with a war between Hungary and Austria) but as my prince Pjeter I is only 42 years old I should have the time to father a new heir.

In October 1516 I milk the burghers for 150 diplo MP. In December, my diplomat forges a claim on Rhodes and I declare war against the Knights.

In January 1517 my fleet lands 12k men on Rhodes that attack the Knight army (7k). The latter is eliminated and I then siege the lvl 3 fort with all my guns brought by the fleet in a second wave. In November the fort surrenders. The Knights fleet is forced out to sea and is surrounded by my fleet that capture 1 light ship and sank 2 galleys and 5 transports. then I annex Rhodes. This brings me to above 300 dev but I have not enough prestige (5) to become a kingdom. I destroy the fort in Rhodes to reduce my cost (I am losing money each month)

The same month the prince Pjeter I has another son, and after a long reflexion he found a perfect name for him: Gjergj, as his older disinherited brother... What's up with this name ? The new heir has correct stats (5/2/4).

In July 1518 I buy diplo tech 8. I have now 9/8/10.

I also realize that my vassal Qara Qoyunlu had no more army at all. I have no idea why. But I ask scutage from him. It won't participate in my wars anomore but will give me 1.5 ducats per month. Also its land will no more be easy targets for my muslim foes.

In early 1519 I met the favor and trust I have with my allies: 42 with Hungary so I use 20 to rise trust to 52 (I have no idea why I had below 50 before), 45 with Austria so again I use 20 to rise trust to 60, 36 with Genoa so I use 10 to rise trust to 55, 17 with Mamluks and 27 with Ferrara. By the way the old Hungarian king, 63-years old Laslo V von Hasburg, has no heir and the current succession chosed is that a member of my family, the Kastrioti, will become king. The first step of a possible PU with Hungary.

The truce with Samtskhe will end in July 1519, so I start moving my army by ships to my Georgian provinces. In May, the Mamluks pay our debt, for the second time. I like them.

On 1 August, I can buy Humanist idea 6. One more and I will validate another Age objective. The same day, I declare war on Samtskhe.
1519 Final Samtskhe war.jpg

Its army is busing training in Tbilissi, its only province, and my army will easily crush them. This time my manpower pool is not empty, and so I can fight. I plan to invade Circassia and take some land here, but also to invade the other ally of Samtskhe, Musha'sha'iya. The latter has possibly a province next to my vassal Qara Qoyunlu (under for of war bith the right border color).

Slaughtering the Samtskhe army only costs 80 men to mine and the siege of Tbilissi is started. More north the Circassian army flees and in September I occupy Abkhazia and lay siege on Circassia, its capital. In the South, Musha'sha'iya has joined the war, but is not fool enough to really fight it. It has no way to join the battlefield and has not asked military access to either the Ottomans or the Timurids to do this. I can't ask it myself.
In October, the first presence of the protestant faith on my land is reported. A priest of the Georgian province of Odishi produced translated bibles and distribute them. He is executed by burning with his books.
Tbilissi fell in November. At this time, Circassia has asked for military access to the Ottomans, and that allows 16k Albanian troops to march towards Musha'sha'iya.
The same month, Constantinople converts to the Catholic faith. At dev 38, it is no more the biggest city in the known world (Qahira (Mamluk Cairo) is at 44, Praha at 39 and Paris at 38 too), but still that gives +14% religious unity (to 112%) and + 19 papal influence.
In December Adygue is occupied and the small Circassian navy (2 light ships) is forced to fight mine: 1 is sunk and the other captured. The Circassian province of Kabardia is also occupied. The Circassian army (9k) is in the last not invade province, Alania.

In February 1520 my southern army intercept 5k Musha'sha'iya men in Ardalan and beats them, but the survivors escape southwards.
The same month, the Hungarian king has a son. So no PU yet.
In April, my southern army invades the province south of Ardalan. Once the fog of war is removed, it is the province of Ilam and it had a lvl 2 fort. 4 of my artillery units are with this army and the siege starts.
In May the Circassian capital fell. All Albanian troops are ordered out of Circassia to trick the Circassian army to go out of its mountainous refuge of Alania. And also because 4k Musha'sha'iya men have reached Tbilissi and try to retake it.
In June Genoa offers to share knowledge of Colonialism with us. It will cost 2.9 ducats a month, but Albania is making a profit of 3.1 so I agree to the deal. Institution will grow in the three provinces of the Albanian state at 1.35% per month. With the good edict (costing 0.18 ducat per month), if grows at 1.68%. First will last 75 months, for a total amount of 220 ducats. Second will last 60 months, for a total amount of 187 ducats. An earlier finish and a smaller cost, I choose the second option.
In July the Circassian army retook Kardaboa and marches to its capital to siege it back. Both Musha'sha'iya armies (the one that was sieging Tbilissi and the one beaten in Ardalan) gather (9k), are in Qara Qoyunlu territory and flee before my northern army.
In September the fort of Ilham surrenders to my southern army that continues south to Musha'sha'iya mainland.
In October Circassian troops liberated their provicnes of Abkhazia and Adyguee. My northern army (15k) finally intercepts one of the Musha'sha'iya armies (4k) in Marangha. It won the battle but lost 1.6k men against less than 1k for the enemies. OK, it was in mountains, but still they seem very efficient warriors. My northern army is ordered to return to Circassia.
In November my southern army start the sieges of Musha'sha'iya capital, Basrah, and occupy the nearby provicne of Chatt al-Arab.

In February 1521, Albanian troops occupy the last province of Musha'sha'iya outside the capital, Ahvaz. The Musha'sha'iya army is sieging Sinope but has no guns and is a long way to take it.
In March my northern army (15k) attacks the Circassian army (9k) sieging its occupied capital. The enemy is beaten and retreats with half of its troop remaining, and the Albanian pursue them.
In April the remains of the Circassian army are destroyed in Alania, my northern army then splits in 4 to carpet siege the country. It is fully occupied in August. the same month Basrah fell and I have 100% warscore.
Time to send our diplomats for peace treaties. The first goes to Musha'sha'iya and ask the return of legitime core Ilham to Qara Qoyunlu, as planned, 100 ducats, war repairs and to cancel an alliance and a rivalry. The latter is to win prestige. I have 15 and need 50 to become a kingdom. This peace deal will bring me 9.
Next is Circassia: I took only the province of Adyguee, and ask for war repairs, to cancel two rivalries and 30 ducats to complet to 100. This deal gives me 14 prestige.
In September Samtskhe remains alone and is also forced to peace on my terms. I have 38 prestige and no way to reach 40 with the peace deal so I annex Samtskhe (that owns only the province of Tbilissi, taking 25 ducats at the same time).

1521 Albanian Empire.jpg

Albania in 1521: 325 dev in 31 provinces, with a vassal, Qara Qoyunlu, at 79 dev in 9 provinces. Combined we have 12 of the 76 provinces needed for the Albania or Iberia achievement.

It remains a very nice alliance you have constructed around the Ottomans.