Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Dev Diary #38: Planet Generation Part II - Map Setup

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Th map generation tools look very interesting and powerful. Thank you for the in-depth look!

I can't wait to try community versions of various famous Sci-Fi planets: Arrakis, Trantor, The one with the Unobtanium and the blue cat people... ;)

Ludomancer
Closest representation of Avatar would probably be Vanguard for the Marines and Amazons for the natives.

Trantor... I don't think Asimov really pinned down the nature of the military forces of the Foundation and Empire. Vanguard is possibly the safest assumption.

For Arrakis... I don't think the canonical structure of armies in Dune can really be represented (the slow knife penetrates the shield and all). If using Dune 2 and its descendents, Vanguard, Dvar, and Syndicate probably roughly map to Atreides, Harkonnen, and Ordos respectively, while secret techs can probably serve to refine this.

Closest representation of Avatar would probably be Vanguard for the Marines and Amazons for the natives.

Trantor... I don't think Asimov really pinned down the nature of the military forces of the Foundation and Empire. Vanguard is possibly the safest assumption.

For Arrakis... I don't think the canonical structure of armies in Dune can really be represented (the slow knife penetrates the shield and all). If using Dune 2 and its descendents, Vanguard, Dvar, and Syndicate probably roughly map to Atreides, Harkonnen, and Ordos respectively, while secret techs can probably serve to refine this.
But meele attacks penetrating shields mechanic is in this game!
And Foundation was probably the inspiration for the ruined galactic empire setting.

But melee attacks penetrating shields mechanic is in this game!
And Foundation was probably the inspiration for the ruined galactic empire setting.
Not to the degree that we saw in Dune, though. Shields there were so good that melee was pretty much the only option, and there isn't currently any race which has a high reliance on shields and melee while also resembling canon Dune-series armies.

In the case of Foundation... possibly, although that was a story of a slow decline of one power and rise of another rather than a sudden collapse.

what does faction invasion mean?

In the game flow slider

I believe it affects the NPC factions in the Gme, e.g. The Growth or Paragons.

It adjusts how often they will launch invasions.

Set it to very high and the need to placate the NPC factions grows, as an annoyed NPC faction will have no compunction invading you and ruining your day.

The Techno Goth Amazon looks like she might be interested in visiting the techno rave place.​
In the first AoW, when you click on a map feature, you get some specific sound: noise of chains for a dungeon, birds singing for the node of life,...
I really hope they keep this tradition and we get even more strange things. Click on the disco and, WHOOPLA, it starts the rave, man!!

It would be awesome if you could also have some mini-movies ala wonders of Civ triggered by some achievements. Seize the techo-discothec and you'll get some mega-gif with stylized Amazons (or Dvar or else, depending on your faction) dancing in the dark on techno with strobo-light. That would make my day!
In Alpha Centaury, when you vanquish a faction leader, you can see him tortured and hear him scream. I'd like more things like this, not just some text "You did this".
Drawings, sound, mini-videos help a lot for immersion.

QUICK OPTIONS

Using the quick options player can configure the important feature of their play session.
The interface here makes me yearn for something like Age of Empires 3, where they had a hub world that built stats over time from progress in exhibition matches. That'd be really cool in a game about colonizing space; connect the episodic nature of matches.

I was thinking more that the terrain sliders, planet types and visit site types would be very useful for planets that FEEL like some of the famous sci-fi planets. You could create an all-desert no-water few-resources planet for Dune, for example.

As to tailoring factions to the worlds, The Syndicate could definitely stand in for the Harkonnens (they already have fat men in floating chairs), Vanguard would be decent Attreides, maybe Amazons for the Bene-geserit and Kirko for the Fremen?

As to Pandora (Avatar movie planet), you make a pangea planet, crank "forested" up to max, and have "many" resources but few or no visit sites. As to the cat-people, we'll have to wait for the inevitable space-Tigrans and hope that you can color them blue. There are too many cat-people in sci-fi for them not to eventually add some. My faves are the Kzin from Larry Niven's Known Space universe, the Kilrathi from the Wing Commander series, and the Mrrshan from Master of Orion.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CatFolk

Ludomancer

I like the idea of high world threat levels but usually in these games it just hurts the A.I faction expansion and makes it an easier game for the player in general.

I know in AoW3 the devs implemented code that gave the AI bonuses against independent units. From memory, it was something like + 2 def and res for Emperor AI.

So there is a way to compensate the AI

Well how do you cope with extra tough Marauders without a stats bonus?

I'm guessing you take out the spawner sites before they get too dangerous. Or maybe you field your stacks in better ways to deal with the attackers? Or is it stronger defenders?
All of the above?

Two of those just requires a change to the AI behaviour. Ensuring the AI can predict where the Marauders are going to attack is trickier. Maybe just cheat there and have the AI know where/when the Marauders are going to attack and have them send troops there.

If the AI can't deal with Marauders, how is it going to cope against Human Players?

It's about priority.The A.I tends to get in a mess when having war with major factions and dealing with these at the same time unless it's coded better.So attack indies when not at war with major factions is how fallen enchantress deals with same issue pretty well.Simple yes.Obviously it needs a good advantage before attacking too.