• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
With the addition of the Newfie culture, is there any chance that the last remnant of the pre-Event Canadian Prairies (the Duchy of Alberta) will receive a new culture as well? The 'Canuck' culture is Pacific, with crazy headdresses and whatnot, and doesn't really fit with a domain east of the Rockies.

Changing out their religion to coincide with their culture change would also be nice. Alberta is more Protestant than Ontario, so it's strange that the Ontarian Kingdom follows an Evangelical heresy whereas Alberta follows a Catholic heresy. Changing out their religion would also help give anyone playing as them a bit more help in the way of higher religious authority. A feudal realm surrounded by nothing but pagan nomads and tribesmen can always use an extra hand.

Speaking of the Prairies, it's strange that there's no Anabaptist presence out west. I'd encourage anyone reading this to research the Hutterites and Mennonites of the Canadian Prairies, for how interesting a culture they are if nothing else. The Hutterites in particular seem as though they'd be very well suited to to the apocalypse, for the same reason as the Amish out east; they're self-reliant and have a lot of kids. Perhaps a single county somewhere in the region could be Anabaptist and Deitsch, like the lone county of that type in southern Ontario? I believe the County of Bismarck is Evangelical, so it wouldn't be unprecedented for the Anabaptists of the Prairies to have hung on somewhere.

...Actually, on that note, maybe Alberta itself has become Anabaptist? The Hutterites could have taken over in that area of the Prairies in the same way the Cree and Metis took over just to the east. Perhaps Alberta's new culture could be of the German type, to match? Just some thoughts.

I believe the County of Bismarck is Evangelical, so it wouldn't be unprecedented for the Anabaptists of the Prairies to have hung on somewhere.
I don't think that county actually starts as Evangelical. It's just owned by Otto von Bismarck, a pretty old count with Dietsch culture and Evangelical religion.
...Yeah.

Has the "White Chapel" version of the Church holding that Cowboys use stopped working for you guys?

It has for me, but I'm hoping it's because of something I've done with my version and it's not the case with the github version. If that's not the case, M&M might be the culprit.

Likely some or all of these are artifacts are already implemented, but:

Weapons: Swiss army knife, Revolutionary War-era sword, Civil War-era sword, Cavalry saber, Katana (likely from Japanese invaders), Compound bow

Navigational tools: Ancient maps, compass, sextant

Miscellaneous: Mint condition Strikeball/Baseball cards, peace pipe, chess set, plastic fruit, dart set, rubber ducky, ship in a bottle, "Stop" sign, assorted musical instruments, teddy bear, Lincoln logs

And if there is any way to match up inventory items with physical appearance: beauty pageant crown, feathered headdress, cowboy hat, top hat, football helmet, sunglasses.

Follow up to artifact suggestions list:

Famous books/stories, with different groups having certain literature. For example, Southern Anglo cultures would have have books like Mark Twain's "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn", while Occultists would have Lovecraft and Edgar Allen Poe stories. Time, ignorance, and superstition could have led to differing interpretations and acceptance of what occurs in the stories as fact or fiction, but even if none of the original books survived, priests and nobility would have made copies like monks in the middle ages did.
https://americanenglish.state.gov/files/ae/resource_files/the_tell-tale_heart_0.pdf
http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/fiction/soi.aspx

Famous artworks, again with particular relevance to certain groups: "Washington crossing the Delaware" and the Lansdowne portrait appeal to Americanists of course, "American Gothic" to Anabaptists/Deitsh culture? and so on. These are probably incredibly rare or unique.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/...Delaware_by_Emanuel_Leutze,_MMA-NYC,_1851.jpg
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/...rge_Washington_(Lansdowne_portrait,_1796).jpg
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Gothic

More weapons: pirate cutlass, sling blade, Red Ryder BB gun, pop gun, lasso, bullwhip, tomahawk, nerf gun, ceremonial plastic (toy) sword, vintage or aluminum Strikeball bat/slugger

After the End 0.9 Released
http://www.mediafire.com/file/h7m38gkyj2p0hv0/After+the+End+0.9.zip

Code:
After the End 0.9 Changelog
Compatible with CK2 2.7.0.2, and the Monks & Mystics DLC

Major Changes
The Red Death - a terrible disease called Thrax sweeps across the Americas... similar to the bubonic plague
Merged a bunch of CK2 2.7 changes into AtE files
Salvage traits replaced by salvaged artifacts (i.e. firearm, old world textbooks)

Artifacts
Weaponsmith events available with MNM active
Crown jewels events available with MNM active
Artifact plundering from capital holding with MNM active
Some generic, Christian, and Norse vanilla artifacts available
Salvage: firearm, calculator, watch, typewriter, telescope, textbooks
Minor Salvage: glassware, jewelry, musicbox
Generic: hope diamond, gachala skull, midnight star, golden disk, beast trophy, monkey paw
Oldworld: the declaration, divine egg, old world engine, founder bust, old world money
Pacific: living thyrsus, ancient bonsai, imperial writings, meditations on moloch, golden oscar
Christian: sword of michael, horn of gabriel, hand of petrus romanus, fallen star, st. stanley's chalice
Pagan: silver key, black slab, martyr's ashes, black cat banner
Mesoamerican: obsidian crown, chacmool of mirrors, golden chacmool
American Native: thunderbird whistle, sacred bundle
LDS: urim and thummim, seer stone, nauvoo fragment
Afro-Syncretic: gris-gris, crown of the lion of judah, maxwell's iron shirt

Minor Changes
Cultures in Guyana use south Indian portraits
New descriptions for Espiritista and Gracia Divina religions
Snowy winter castle art for some northern cultures
Resampled music to 44.1 KHz to resolve audio issues
Added a couple nicknames
Redcoat and Brazilian invasions fixed to be feudal

Plus, all of the changes Shade mentioned when we released 0.8.1 a few weeks ago.
Code:
Added in After the End 0.8.1

Buildings
Trade Posts returned to trade routes.

Characters
Newfie characters and realm added to Newfoundland.
Llanero nomads in Los Llanos split into more realms.
Dynasties with missing family links repaired.
Typos in traits, dates, etc fixed.

Cultures
Muscogee culture added to Native American group.
Newfie culture added to North Atlantic group.
Duplicate names removed from cultures.
Culture colours changed to improve visibility.

Events
Fixed many broken or buggy events and decisions.
Earthquake Disaster event expanded in scope - it affects more areas with varying levels of frequency. The Pacific Coast is not very safe.

Graphic Interface
Cowboy cultures use Old West style holdings.
Kentucky and Tenessee cultures use Norse style holdings.
South American cultures use West African style holdings.
Midwest cultures use desert style holdings.
Native Americans use nomad style holdings.

Fixed localisation that referred to default medieval people and places.
Fixed many typos.

Map
Province shapes adjusted in Mexico and western USA.
Terrain adjusted in Mexico and western USA.
Coastline of East Coast USA adjusted.
Rivers adjusted.
Sea provinces reorganised to eliminate pathfinding errors.
Lakes added or named across the Americas.
Impassable mountains modified to change accessability of regions.
Removed 'Corners of the Earth Building Pack' map models.
Great Plains steppe expanded.
The James (Richmond) and Chowan given sea port access.
Ohio River extended up to Yohogania (Pittsburgh).
Mississippi extended up to the Twin Cities.
Added Tennessee River and Tombigbee River.
Adjusted river courses to match the map.

Mercenaries
Many mercenaries limited in hire scope according to culture or religion.
Galley mercenaries added: the Staten Island Ferriers, the Boucaniers, the Freesails of Trinidad, the Colima Traders, the North Sea Whalers, the Haida Coasters, the Panamax Company, the Michigan Chartists, the Golden Gate Galleys, the Delta Blues, the Cartagena Cartel, and the Corsairs of Cortés.
Mercenaries added: the Akademikov, the Chivas, the Desperados, the Dogs of War, the Hazardeers, the Omega Guard, the Seminole Band, the Sons of Samedi.
Holy Orders added: Keepers of the Green Peace (Gaian), Lightbringers (Sol Invicta), the Dead Sun (Mictlantec).

Misc
Added game rules for invasions, Historical, Random and None.

Religions
Candomblé holy sites moved to South America.
Falling Star holy sites moved to Central America.
Religion colors changed to improve visibility.

Titles
(Extra Empires) Empire of Arctica added.
(Extra Empires) Kingdom of Grand Bermuda added to Empire of Atlantica.
Added Cultural empires.
Landed Titles files reorganised according to de jure Empires.
Title colours changed to improve visibility.
Province holding numbers adjusted.
Removed duplicate holdings.
Added missing capitals to all higher titles.
Kingdoms of Côte-Nord and Newfoundland moved to Empire of Arctica.
Kingdom of Jamésie created and added to Empire of Arctica, with new duchies Mushkegowuk and Eeyou Istchee.
Duchy of Northern Quebec renamed to Aurora and moved to Kingdom of Jamésie.
Duchy of Avalon added to Newfoundland.
Duchy of Tortuga added to Hispania.
Provinces in Canada added/renamed: Nagagamisis (from Nagagmisis), Waskaganish, Moosonee, Kashechewan, Kapuskasing, Wuskwi Sipihk, Little Abitibi.
Provinces in South America added/renamed: Amazonas, Anaco, Araure, Ariari, Cabimas (from Miranda), Capanaparo, Caqueza, Carora, Cumaribo, Guanare (from Portuguesa), Guaviare, Ibague (from Tolima), Miranda, Oriente Antioqueno, Orituco, Páez, Paramillo, Pedraza, Saldaña, Tulua, Yopal.
Provinces in Mexico added/renamed: Acuña, Ameca (from Tecolotlán), Cañada, El Cielo, La Fraylesca (from Tonalá), Pánuco, Zapotlán el Grande (from Tecalitlán)
Province in California renamed: Tehama (from Burney).
Duchies in Mexico added/renamed/removed: Gran Olancho (removed, now Altas Honduras) Istmo (from Juchitán), Rio Bravo del Norte.

With the upcoming Satanist-hunting overhaul, will there be cults in an upcoming version? I need vile cultists to burn. Especially whatever the Americanist version of a cult is, so it's double heresy. Maybe communism?

If we are gonna have a communism heresy of americanists, we have to have artifacts. Bust's of Soviet leaders, Stalin's hammer, a (non-functional) T-34, an AK-47 (or some other iconic guns like a Mosin Nagant or SVT),

And the most prestigious artifact, a mummified part of Lenin himself. Like a toe of Lenin, or even a foot!

You forgot the little red book.

I would suggest making the southern half of California's central valley a lot poorer than the rest - without the modern irrigation & canals that Gov. Pat Brown built, that part of the valley is fertile but it basically has no water except limited groundwater from rain. Extensive agriculture (ie, any significant sedentary human presence) will have quickly drained groundwater and it would basically be a really poor region...

Unless the postdiluvian peoples still have these canals and dams and can still use them efficiently?

I would suggest making the southern half of California's central valley a lot poorer than the rest - without the modern irrigation & canals that Gov. Pat Brown built, that part of the valley is fertile but it basically has no water except limited groundwater from rain. Extensive agriculture (ie, any significant sedentary human presence) will have quickly drained groundwater and it would basically be a really poor region...

Unless the postdiluvian peoples still have these canals and dams and can still use them efficiently?
My interpretation of California is that it has elements of the 'hydraulic empire' concept, so it may well be that at least to some degree the canals and dams are maintained, or replicated - but then I'm just a player!

Last edited:
It's a pretty good guess - we (Californians that is) are heading towards hydraulic despotism IRL, if we aren't already there. When water becomes a commodity, something you have to dole out, then whoever controls it, controls everything..

It's a pretty good guess - we (Californians that is) are heading towards hydraulic despotism IRL, if we aren't already there. When water becomes a commodity, something you have to dole out, then whoever controls it, controls everything..

The waters must flow! (Totally not ripped from a certain sci-fi franchise)

Encountered an interesting issue playing as the Emperor of California: after the Consumerist rising, I invited an Investor to my court and matrilenially married him to a female relative to breed the Investor trait into the dynasty. However, as soon as the Investor converted to Ceticism, the trait vanished.

Encountered an interesting issue playing as the Emperor of California: after the Consumerist rising, I invited an Investor to my court and matrilenially married him to a female relative to breed the Investor trait into the dynasty. However, as soon as the Investor converted to Ceticism, the trait vanished.
At the time it was first created there was no way to apply an opinion bonus for an arbitrary religion. The solution was to make it a religious trait with the same_religion_opinion bonus.

At the time it was first created there was no way to apply an opinion bonus for an arbitrary religion. The solution was to make it a religious trait with the same_religion_opinion bonus.

Ok, dug around and found the trait. The edits I made do not seem to be working, will poke around more tomorrow.

I went ahead and edited it to specify the bonus to be only for Consumerists, and removed its loss on conversion. Trait now looks like this, if you'd like to change its functionality in the mod, or if anyone else would find it helpful (for others, trait is in After the End\common\traits\am_traits.txt):

Code:
investor = {
    consumerist_opinion = 5
    potential = { religion = consumerist }

opposites =  {
        sayyid
        mirza
    }
    agnatic = yes
    random = no
}

EDIT: Went ahead and made a similar change for Heir of the Prophet (After the End\common\traits\01_traits.txt):

Code:
sayyid = {
    agnatic = yes # Always inherited from fathers
    random = no

opposites =  {
        mirza
        investor
    }
    consumerist_opinion = 15

#male_compliment = COMPL_SAYYID
    #female_compliment = COMPL_SAYYIDA
}

Last edited:
Ok, dug around and found the trait. I went ahead and edited it to specify the bonus to be only for Consumerists, and removed its loss on conversion. Trait now looks like this, if you'd like to change its functionality in the mod, or if anyone else would find it helpful (for others, trait is in After the End\common\traits\am_traits.txt):

Code:
investor = {
    consumerist_opinion = 5

opposites =  {
        sayyid
        mirza
    }
    agnatic = yes
    random = no
}

EDIT: Went ahead and made a similar change for Heir of the Prophet (After the End\common\traits\01_traits.txt):

Code:
sayyid = {
    agnatic = yes # Always inherited from fathers
    random = no

opposites =  {
        mirza
        investor
    }
    consumerist_opinion = 15

#male_compliment = COMPL_SAYYID
    #female_compliment = COMPL_SAYYIDA
}
I believe you also need to define consumerist_opinion in modifier_definitions, and set up localisation for it. Oh, and don't forget Mirza ("Heiress of the Prophet").