• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Riekopo

Field Marshal
38 Badges
Apr 24, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • March of the Eagles
  • King Arthur II
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Steel Division: Normand 44 Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2
I was really disappointed when I realized the historical pirate republic of Nassau was not in the game. For a small amount of years during the Golden Age of Piracy a small pirate nation of sorts existed in the city of Nassau in the Bahamas. I'd really like to see this added to the correct start dates. It's a very unique thing and I bet there would be some cool AARs done with it.

Upvote 0
Oh my goodness! I was literally just about to post a suggestion about something similar to this, but more generic. I don't know much about the history of Nassau, but my suggestion was this (and forgive me for hijacking your post):

In a trade zone where pirates control above a certain percent of the total trade (let's say 15 - 25%), there should be an event with a MTTH of 120 months (something to make it relatively rare but still something that happens at least once or twice per game). The event spawns a OPM pirate cove/pirate city/pirate republic in an uncolonized province within that trade zone. The OPM would have a national idea set that gives it massive privateer bonuses and the ability to raid coasts.

If you wanted to get really fancy, the existence of such a tag could set off a triggered modifier that increased privateer efficiency for everyone in that trade node - meaning that there may be some worth in keeping it around depending on who you are. It might also be neat for there to be an event for whoever conquers a pirate nation to get an event that gives them a pile of cash, representing the conquering nation claiming all of the ill-gotten pirate treasure.

Anyway, that's what I was going to suggest, but I'm glad to hear that there's apparently a bit more historical credence to the concept of a pirate city than I thought. What national ideas would the pirates have and what would they be called? What do you think the government should look like?

Maybe make an estate called 'Bucaneers' or something to represent privateers overseas. It'd be available for countries that have any overseas territory or sth. While having positive influence/loyalty they would give very strong bonuses to privateering and trade steering. One of the actions could be to ask them for a captain? And then if they would get too little loyalty several pirate fleets would spawn in an overseas trade node where the target country has enough trade power and also that would trigger (a chance for) a pirate republic spawn in one/two provinces in the said trade node. As long as this country is alive, more and more pirate fleets would spawn.
When I think of it, I will turn this into a mod one day, so reserved etc.

Also please, please, if you consider this, give pirates a better chance for capturing enemy ships in a battle.

I'm not certain the exact tag itself would be the best inclusion, but I can definitely get behind expounding upon Dandolo's idea.

Maybe make an estate called 'Bucaneers' or something to represent privateers overseas. It'd be available for countries that have any overseas territory or sth. While having positive influence/loyalty they would give very strong bonuses to privateering and trade steering. One of the actions could be to ask them for a captain? And then if they would get too little loyalty several pirate fleets would spawn in an overseas trade node where the target country has enough trade power and also that would trigger (a chance for) a pirate republic spawn in one/two provinces in the said trade node. As long as this country is alive, more and more pirate fleets would spawn.
When I think of it, I will turn this into a mod one day, so reserved etc.

Also please, please, if you consider this, give pirates a better chance for capturing enemy ships in a battle.

I'm not certain the exact tag itself would be the best inclusion, but I can definitely get behind expounding upon Dandolo's idea.
I can agree that a "nation" whits a TAG is probable not best way to implement pirates(& bandits) but they can be event that force a provins to have Buccaneers/Bandit as estate owners. It might be advantageous to let the outlaws keep the estate for a while, they can have some special estate interaction so they can give some revenue stream and/or privatisters or raiders in exchange for less trade, devastation, positive/negativ unrest or bad relations whits a other nation all whits in small area from outlaw estate. It can also generate a special CB for other nations so they can evict the outlaws. You should not have direct possibility to gain, move or add new outlaw provinces, they should spawn randomly or after limited rules for spawning.

I could see this work as an estate for colonial governments, they give a boost to trade (your ships will be safe) and a boost to privateer power (duh) but if they get too powerful you could have a piratical coup disaster where the government switches to a pirate republic.

I could see this work as an estate for colonial governments, they give a boost to trade (your ships will be safe) and a boost to privateer power (duh) but if they get too powerful you could have a piratical coup disaster where the government switches to a pirate republic.
Shouldn't be government but island/coastal province defection.

Shouldn't be government but island/coastal province defection.
Why?

edit:
Defect and turn in to non colonized OR new nation? If new nation should other countrys have cores remain still? And if there still cores on it, then would I guess they would be super short lived.

Why?

edit:
Defect and turn in to non colonized OR new nation? If new nation should other countrys have cores remain still? And if there still cores on it, then would I guess they would be super short lived.
Because that would be more accurate than an entire colonial nation going pirate.

And the CBs the nations around wouldn't make them short lived anyway?

Because that would be more accurate than an entire colonial nation going pirate.

And the CBs the nations around wouldn't make them short lived anyway?
One poor provins minor AND at best only some alliances that should not hold any water AND have hostile nation whits a easy CB against them.

One poor provins minor AND at best only some alliances that should not hold any water AND have hostile nation whits a easy CB against them.
Which they will have either way. Nassau was still a British port and it was when the British decided to act that led to it's removal as a pirate port. Before that the French and Spanish had both been able to attack it, game wise would seem "trade conflict" CB would be fitting for them.

Last edited:
So a forced estate would be more accurate? And therefore more interesting in a mechanic standpoint.
forced estate doesn't really work unless you can remove it, why I went with the province defection as that's a better system. Original owner can use the core to try to retake it and other powers can blockade to stop them raiding their trade/treasure fleet.

Maybe you could also implement a new rebel type for that, pirate groups.
They would spawn regardless of unrest based on mainly trade factors (hight trade value, few ships protecting trade or hunting pirates). They would also be more likely to spawn in the new world or the Baltic sea region in the early game. They would preferably occupy islands or exclaves and if they enforce their demands, they would form a pirate state on their occupied lands. They would also be unique in that they do have ships and don't teleport.
That could model such things as the Victual Brothers occupying Gotland (although that was slightly before the EU4 time frame, I don't think that means similar things would be impossible in the early game)

It might be advantageous to let the outlaws keep the estate for a while
Notice i did write "might", whits that did I mean you can keep them or you can try to evict them. Game wise could it be fun to keep them around instead of only have the option evict them. And if you want to keep them then there need to be some estate interaction and events.
forced estate doesn't really work unless you can remove it, why I went with the province defection as that's a better system. Original owner can use the core to try to retake it and other powers can blockade to stop them raiding their trade/treasure fleet.
So of course should you have the power to remove them, but it should not be to easy to do that. At least 100% chans they revolt maybe even more negativ stuff. I have no good ide what more bad stuff there could be, but maybe it could be short event serie that ends in success: some money, boats and prestige from there coves/camps or total backlash that make your prestige, legitimacy to go down and some unrest nation wide. And by event I don't mean that it only be a window whits some option and that it, there should spawn of rebel forces and so on.

Maybe you could also implement a new rebel type for that, pirate groups.
They would spawn regardless of unrest based on mainly trade factors (hight trade value, few ships protecting trade or hunting pirates). They would also be more likely to spawn in the new world or the Baltic sea region in the early game. They would preferably occupy islands or exclaves and if they enforce their demands, they would form a pirate state on their occupied lands. They would also be unique in that they do have ships and don't teleport.
That could model such things as the Victual Brothers occupying Gotland (although that was slightly before the EU4 time frame, I don't think that means similar things would be impossible in the early game)
They could spawn in certain terrain types bordering sea tiles, etc. Hills, mountains and marshes. Pirates sought places where they could easily hide, such as the south-eastern France for example.