• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Meneth

Crusader Kings 3 Programmer
153 Badges
Feb 9, 2011
www.paradoxwikis.com
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Steel Division: Normand 44 Sign-up
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Surviving Mars
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • BATTLETECH
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Prison Architect
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • 500k Club
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia

The official Skylines wiki is meant to be a source of various information regarding the game.
It includes both modding info written by the devs, and various other info written by players.

If you'd like to help improve the wiki, there are some suggestions available here.

Visit the wiki here.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Hi Meneth.

• 1Like
Reactions:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
  • 1Like
Reactions:

Okay but I'm concerned that by placing it under my userspace, it will give other editors a wrong impression that I intended the page for editing by only myself. Not that they can't but I think it's kind of a unspoken rule among editors for others to NOT edit pages under other's userspaces unless absolutely necessary. Suggest moving it to "Modding/List of building and structure types" instead since it's intended as ideas for modders.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Okay but I'm concerned that by placing it under my userspace, it will give other editors a wrong impression that I intended the page for editing by only myself. Not that they can't but I think it's kind of a unspoken rule among editors for others to NOT edit pages under other's userspaces unless absolutely necessary. Suggest moving it to "Modding/List of building and structure types" instead since it's intended as ideas for modders.
Just put a note at the top that anyone is free to add to it?

• 1Like
Reactions:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Hey Meneth, thanks a lot for the wiki! It has proven quite useful as a new player.
I have one request though, for those willing to update and have more knowledge: is there any chance someone could update the requirements for "Cathedral of Plentitude" with the list of the service buildings required? Not all of the service buildings will be taken into account for the unlock requirement (e.g.: Power Line does not count for this). I know it might be a hassle, but if someone has the information quick and easy, the page here (http://www.skylineswiki.com/Buildings) could be edited with a * added for each building that counts and a comment below the table like:
*Required for unlocking Cathedral of Plentitude

• 1Like
Reactions:
@Meneth could you get one of the devs to give modders _some_ hints regarding texture sizes and polycount in the wiki. the only kinda precise information is that our LOD models should have 100-200 tris and our texture might want to use this or that size.

Just tell us in short what you did with your models instead of giving arbitrary information in all directions. Like 3-4 sentences with actual information would be enough.
eg "Most of our 1x1 building use between X - Y polys and a Z texture map. Our 4x4 buildings use mainly this and that."

also it eg points out that you _might_ want to create a LOD, which makes ppl not doing ANY.
afaik you want to do a LOD but _might_ not need it (with some luck).

it's just like we see the same (rather simple) questions over and over but now answer and ppl will look at the wiki instead of searching forums while getting lost with a 50k (untriangulated) poly model.
i dunno if you've contact to them though ... just a try.

Thanks in advance!!!

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
@Meneth could you get one of the devs to give modders _some_ hints regarding texture sizes and polycount in the wiki. the only kinda precise information is that our LOD models should have 100-200 tris and our texture might want to use this or that size.

Just tell us in short what you did with your models instead of giving arbitrary information in all directions. Like 3-4 sentences with actual information would be enough.
eg "Most of our 1x1 building use between X - Y polys and a Z texture map. Our 4x4 buildings use mainly this and that."

also it eg points out that you _might_ want to create a LOD, which makes ppl not doing ANY.

it's just like we see the same (rather simple) questions over and over but now answer and ppl will look at the wiki instead of searching forums while getting lost with a 50k (untriangulated) poly model.

Thanks in advance!!!
I've linked your post to one of the devs.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Thanks!! I know this might have been answered in an Q&A or an interview but I think this info will help lots of ppl (especially beginners) when added to the wiki.

I noticed some potions have already been added over the past days (especially regarding textures) but the whole modeling part doesn't tell us anything about the complexity of the model

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
to bad this didn't work out (maybe it was just the wrong guy to link this to). according to the reddit AMA devs seem to feel sad the wiki isn't used more actively. IMHO its no wonder. ppl won't write articles based on assumtions they cant verify + lot's of stuff the community actually can verify is added by the devs instantly.

You should reconsider how devs can help this wiki with basic stuff to make it more active. it's way easier than one might think.

I feel sad for your wiki bro.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
to bad this didn't work out (maybe it was just the wrong guy to link this to). according to the reddit AMA devs seem to feel sad the wiki isn't used more actively. IMHO its no wonder. ppl won't write articles based on assumtions they cant verify + lot's of stuff the community actually can verify is added by the devs instantly.

You should reconsider how devs can help this wiki with basic stuff to make it more active. it's way easier than one might think.

I feel sad for your wiki bro.
On the other hand, TotalyMoo did rate me/the wiki 9.5/10.
And more info keeps getting added to the wiki by a variety of users.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I've done a fair proportion of the edits of the last month or so, but real life commitments means I'm pretty much going to be unable to do much for probably a couple of months.

What the wiki could really use is an info-dump of game mechanics info from the developers, which volunteers could work into readable articles. For a lot of the game mechanics (such as crime, heath, jobs etc.) I have ideas about how the game is calculating things, but I can't really be sure and it would be inappropriate for me to write my half-informed guesswork as definitive truths.

• 1Like
Reactions:
On the other hand, TotalyMoo did rate me/the wiki 9.5/10.
And more info keeps getting added to the wiki by a variety of users.
you obviously didn't get the point at all ..... i'm sorry and nvm. i wont trouble you again. i promise.
gratz on the community managers rating anyways. it's worth some attention! where can we (the community) rate it?

It wasn't and isn't my intention to attack your work. it's great ... thats why i said im sorry for you. i'm not trying to fool you. the info CO devs added just wasn't as helpfull as the they might have thought cause essential stuff is/was missing / wasn't what we asked for and lots of ppl don't like writing based on assumptions. i dont like reading a wiki based on assumptions. what about you?

after writing a lengthy post to @CO_Dae yesterday, he finally got the point i guess!!! thx a lot!

The model size is not limited other than by Unity's limit of about 65000 vertices per mesh, but even approaching that is too much for single assets. To give some rough guidelines, the triangle count of the building models in the stock game ranges from less than 1000 triangles for the smallest and simplest buildings to about 5000 for large and complex buildings. A few exceptional buildings use up to 10-15k triangles. Vehicles typically have 500-1000 triangles, while trees vary from a few hundred for simple bushes to about 2000 for the more complex ones. Also note that a large number of props can also make the asset rendering slower, which is why there is a limit in the asset editor.

wonder how much time he spend on that paragraph filled with information we had no clue about.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
you obviously didn't get the point at all ..... i'm sorry and nvm. i wont trouble you again. i promise.
No no, I get ya. There's just limits to how much I can do, and certainly to what I can commit to without consulting others and so on.

gratz on the community managers rating anyways. it's worth some attention! where can we (the community) rate it?
It was another question in that AMA.

It wasn't and isn't my intention to attack your work.
I don't see it as an attack; don't worry. Criticism is an important part of improving the wikis.

it's great ... thats why i said im sorry for you. i'm not trying to fool you. the info CO devs added just wasn't as helpfull as the they might have thought cause essential stuff is/was missing / wasn't what we asked for and lots of ppl don't like writing based on assumptions. i dont like reading a wiki based on assumptions. what about you?
What would help is more specific. There's very little I can do when the criticism is as general as your first post here, but specifics I can at least note down. For EU4 for example I've got a list of things I plan to ask Wiz (EU4 project lead) about when I get the chance.
Sorry for my somewhat brusque first response though.

• 1Like
Reactions:
ok so the linequoting has started. no need to get defensive. again i won't trouble you anymore. it's your wiki. you're the boss.

No no, I get ya. There's just limits to how much I can do, and certainly to what I can commit to without consulting others and so on.
i don't know what you are talking about here:
- i made a request a month ago to add the most basic modding info there is to that wiki which can't be added by any modders.
- ppl asked for it since release.
- you passed this request to the devs the same day.
- meanwhile lots of ("unnecessary") things have been added by the devs without beeing asked about it
and your argument now is "there's just limits"
??? not saying its your fault, but something went wrong dude.
is your agument that instead of passing it to the devs you put it on a list or are you saying you passed it but noone cared? i don't understand. in both cases you could just say it instead of getting that defensive without any attachment to the actual request.

What would help is more specific. There's very little I can do when the criticism is as general as your first post here, but specifics I can at least note down. For EU4 for example I've got a list of things I plan to ask Wiz (EU4 project lead) about when I get the chance.
Sorry for my somewhat brusque first response though.

Thanks in advance!!!
so i should be more specific? the critic is to general???? are we reading the same thread?
please feel free to rephrase my post so it would have been clear to you.
actually you said you linked them to that post. so if you took notes this might have been the problem.
keep in mind Dae finally made it possible after telling him exactly this. he's the best!

i won't make any additional requests here (if i have one i should probably ask Dae) but maybe a manual for requests is needed if this was to general and exceeded the limit's.

don't care about your response to me. cause i dont care at all. i can't see any mistakes in my request. imho your last post is even more baffleing than the one before.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: