Stellaris Turns Over a New Leaf With Plantoids Species Pack

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Escher

Senior Community Manager
19 Badges
Oct 7, 2013
  • Dungeonland
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Magicka
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Magicka 2
  • Paradox Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Magicka 2 - Signup Campaign
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Cities: Skylines
  • War of the Roses
e9s7tbfh1evsrhnEFu0UKH2r_EdPCSOFO63BC0O0ilR_634WoX9sx91u2hwC7sGwAUGp4UG35RPtPe6JTFXKkRJrXZyWk9q5kEQcVBKseCvREf01ujXp9twPJrK_7a-U1ehtMbuOICMN0uvlbhAUeRjmwERgTnrkKQ9dqhc=s0-d-e1-ft
Paradox Development Studio will soon release the first Species Pack for its hit science fiction strategy game, Stellaris. Species Packs will give players new phenotypes to play with as they expand across the galaxy.

This first species pack will be called Plantoids, and, as its name suggests, will introduce sentient plant life to the universe of Stellaris. Instead of becoming salad or animal fodder, these plants have reached for the stars and begun to spread their tendrils across the galaxy, planting the roots of new civilizations on new planets.

Our talented artists have put together fifteen new portraits, an original cityscape backdrop, and stunning new ship models for your new neighbors.​

Today we are also releasing for sale the original Stellaris soundtrack, composed by Andreas Waldetoft and the e-book Stellaris: Infinite Frontiers by Steven Savile, an original story about humanity’s first contact with an alien race and the questions this raises.​

You can pick-up the e-book and the soundtrack today via the Paradox Interactive store or Steam. Plantoids will be available for sale as of August 4th, 2016.

Last edited:
Reactions:
New diplomatic modifier with Plantoids species: "Your leader is vegetarian/vegan: -200" :D .

Can we have a tree ship / tree ring world like in Hyperion? :cool:

Reactions:
If, someday in a distant future, species interbreeding between races in stellaris becomes a thing, will i be able to create sentient ferns after mixing plant life and fungoids? :)

Will probably buy this on sale and plant life in the galaxy, after incensive, i mean intensive purging.

Reactions:
Would you please fix the game first? You left it completely broken with the last patch... Alliances never form, even though everything was fine before you dropped the patch and went on your 6-week vacation...

Reactions:
For those viewing on a cell and maybe not able to see the video, a special bonus ship image! ;)

View attachment 195097
Would it be possible to get more diversity on current ships as well? New color schemes, the ability to design the color scheme of your ships during empire creation?

Reactions:
Looks good. How about spicing up the ground combat in Stellaris. Its so dull and boring. Some videos or some sort of tactical place marking for troops . Like in CIV 3. Anything to spice it up. For example. A world map with hexagons and placing your troops on it and let them CPU do it business.

Reactions:
will it be "fixed" somehow that we often see the same portraits ingame even when a lot of portraits are not used by the game yet? Can't you block a portrait in a galaxie until every other portrait is used? (with mods i had hundred of possible portraits and still saw some species trice.)

Reactions:
I'll buy it eventually but can't say I'm very excited about another skin for the existing ethos/trait/government setup. This game badly needs a way to make aliens feel more alien, more different from each other. A new skin doesn't help that.

I know actually addressing that problem would mean something radical like different techs, buildings, and government types for each major biology branch, which may never happen. And if it does, it would have to be a major DLC and partial re-write, like the Twilight of the Arnor DLC for GalCiv2. But I can still dream.

I guess a Robots skin is next (sigh).

I know I'm being grumpy here. Let me get another cup of coffee and maybe I'll feel better about Plant Aliens.

Reactions:
Ah finally! After it was revealed that the pre-release "Plant" species button was just a placeholder I hoped that we would one day get this colourful bunch as DLC.
And I am reliefed that you only let the art/graphic department work on DLC while the rest is fixing the game.

Reactions:
Would you please fix the game first? You left it completely broken with the last patch... Alliances never form, even though everything was fine before you dropped the patch and went on your 6-week vacation...
Yes i'm sure paradox will tell all their artists to stop working until the programmers are finished with bug fixing, that really sounds like a productive use of everyones time!

Last edited:
Reactions:
New ships are nice, more important to me than the portraits... well i'd have to see them all to know for sure. ;)

(It is amazing how many people fail to realize that Artists work independent of developers, and can easily create more assets for a game without impacting the dev's ability to work on bugs in any way. :eek:)

Reactions:
These plant puns are terrible and I love them.

Reactions: