EUIV: Mare Nostrum Content Pack Renders

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Catalack

Imperator of Outsourcing PDS Dev
Paradox Staff
55 Badges
Feb 10, 2014
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • March of the Eagles
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • King Arthur II
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Starvoid
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • War of the Vikings
  • Dungeonland
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Gettysburg
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
Friends! It is that time again. A new expansion is heading our way, and that also means new content and new unit packs, some of which I suspect many have been asking for for quite a while!
These packs contain units from the the great sea faring nations surrounding the Mediterranean Sea and further down the eastern coast of Africa.

EDIT: UPDATE
After lengthy discussions and lots and lots of feedback from you guys, and as many of you have already noted, we updated the pack during the small window of time we had before start of other projects.

The T3 Italian units, and some of the faces and skin tones of the African units.
Here's an extra render pic of some of the updates (not all):

aSG9wU0.jpg

Italian Unit Pack
This pack contains troops for the rich Italian states of Naples, Venice, Florence and Milan.
ehyV2fd.jpg

AtdX5g5.jpg

North African Unit Pack

Proudly presenting our North African units, Algiers, Morocco, Mamluks and Tunis!
aBMx2dz.jpg

0tulcGy.jpg

East African Unit Pack

And finally, our East African Units - Ethiopia, Nubia, Somali and Swahili!
dSYaE4r.jpg

OzINvAl.jpg

We've had a great time making these, and we hope they will add to your experience while conquering the seas!

//Catalack

Last edited:
Reactions:
Swahili are a bit meh, but Morocco and the Italians are really nice. Do the Italians retain their sprites when forming Italy and Florence when forming Tuscany? Can non-Florence-formed Tuscany gain access to Florentine sprites?

Reactions:
This is very disappointing. The Tunisians, Algierians, Somalis are WAYYYY too dark. Somali's have narrower faces and in the north have yellow-brownish skin. Nubians in the north are not that dark either. This is probably the most disappointing content pack released. Tbh I will probably buy it and use the moroccans for all north africans and Tunisians for Somalis/Nubians.

Edit: ALGERIANS AND TUNISIANS ARE STRAIGHT UP WHITE YO

Reactions:
Why are the north african's skin tone so dark. It looks very dissapointing, and sterotyipcal of ''Africa''. WHy on earth is the highest tier of Tunisan Units a shirtless subsaharan? Maybe make thier cavalary units look native american while you are it.

And why waste a model in Algiers, a tag that pretty much never sees the light of day? Not to mention those models also suffer from ''Shirtless Zulu Warrior'' syndrome. There were no laws banning shirts y'know... Especially in Northern Africa. I mean look at Morroco and Mamluks! That's what north africans look like.

The other packs look great as always, and makes those two look even worse by comparison

Reactions:
Yeah those Algerians and Tunisians look totally like Subsaharan Africans, lol. Looks wrong.

Also those East African faces looks more like someone from West or Southern Africa, not like like someone from East Africa imo.

Other than that, it's all pretty good. Where are those Evangelical Units btw? :p

Reactions:
Wonder if they really mean Algiers or Tlemcen - the latter was originally called Algiers in EU4 before they renamed it and added Algiers as a separate TAG, if I remember correctly.

Reactions:
Do the Italians retain their sprites when forming Italy and Florence when forming Tuscany? Can non-Florence-formed Tuscany gain access to Florentine sprites?
The units are tied to the country tag of each country, so when forming Italy (and thus get the tag ITA), you should get Italian sprites. We currently don't have any unique units for ITA, but keep posted - we've got stuff planned ;)

This is very disappointing.
Why are the north african's skin tone so dark. It looks very dissapointing, and sterotyipcal of ''Africa''.
Very sorry to hear this! We do try our best when it comes to doing research for our unit packs. Sometimes sources vary a lot or don't exist at all, which makes the job quite difficult indeed.
However, getting feedback like this from our forums is important to us and one of the reasons why we even post things like this, as we know there is a lot of knowledge among our fans. We will take all of your feedback with us and keep it in mind for future packs, so thank you. We'll do our best not to disappoint!

Where are those Evangelical Units btw?
Marketing department still cooking!

Reactions:
Wonder if they really mean Algiers or Tlemcen - the latter was originally called Algiers in EU4 before they renamed it and added Algiers as a separate TAG, if I remember correctly.

That's one the issues. Algiers is now a formable/releasable, that pretty much never exists on the map. I would say that's a waste of a good model, but given how horrible the Algiers models are ( Because alll african armies were shirtless subsaharan savages, amirite? ) , that's actually fortunate.

Reactions:
The units are tied to the country tag of each country, so when forming Italy (and thus get the tag ITA), you should get Italian sprites. We currently don't have any unique units for ITA, but keep posted - we've got stuff planned ;)

Very sorry to hear this! We do try our best when it comes to doing research for our unit packs. Sometimes sources vary a lot or don't exist at all, which makes the job quite difficult indeed.
However, getting feedback like this from our forums is important to us and one of the reasons why we even post things like this, as we know there is a lot of knowledge among our fans. We will take all of your feedback with us and keep it in mind for future packs, so thank you. We'll do our best not to disappoint!

Marketing department still cooking!
Is there any chance we can see these packs changed or is everything final?

Reactions:
The details on these are really good but.... some of these units are HILLARIOUS!

I mean the Tunisians and Algerians being that black is so wrong in so many ways I can only assume those units were meant for some other African Nations. Not to mention the fact that their official uniform seems to be two leather straps! I don't even know if thats insulting, stereotypical (North Africans are all pirates after all RIGHT!?) or a mix in between...

It's also really funny to view the Somali and Swahili with more professional uniforms than the half of the North Africans... then again maybe that's how it was back then and these units are all historically correct... I have no idea... but they do feel inherently wrong...

Reactions:
Sometimes sources vary a lot or don't exist at all, which makes the job quite difficult indeed.

Tunisia, and North Africa, have a very different ethnic make up than the rest of the continent. Via the mediterranean sea, Phoenicians, Romans, Vandals and Arabs and later, during the EU4 timeframe, Andalusians, Euopean Slaves and Turks interacted with the native Berber population. None of these peoples have a dark skin tone as decipited on the Models. Even a superficial google search at ''Tunisians'', ''Algerians'' or ''Berbers'' gives an idea of what they look and looked like.

Regarding their clothes, compare this, and this with the ''Shirtless Pirate matey! '' look that they currently have.

I sincerely hope those models are not final. They look out of place and frankly, it's not a matter of ''Their hats are innacurate'' and more that they look ablsotely nothing like Tunisians, or Algerians.

Reactions:
I really really want to buy this pack, but... Those Tunisian, and Algerian units just seem so wrong...

The Tunis units especially make me think of a slave army... Because they are both sub Saharan and lack footwear. These are both characteristic of slaves sold by the Mamluk Sultanate, not Tunisian people, let alone soldiers.

Reactions: