• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

hjarg

Insert witty title here
105 Badges
Dec 23, 2000
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Victoria 2
Coat_of_Arms_of_the_Kingdom_of_Portugal_%25281640-1910%2529.jpg

Hello, good folk.

Back in the times when EU IV was released, i wrorte an AAR about the Portugal. Aptly named Portugal, an Empire Under the Sun. Didn't quite finish it, but managed to become rich and powerful.

Now, there is over 2 years passed, with various DLC-s changing the way the game is played and also, I have few hundered more hours invested in EU IV- so i should be better at it. And i have been feeling the writing itch for some time- so i though, why the hell not. Portugal is still my favourite nation to play- not taking on the old Europe, but making an Empire that will expand to all the continents, dwarf the Roman Empire and bring unseen riches home.

This is a non-Ironman game. Not because i like reloading much, but i like reloading much. Meaning occasionally, going back to earlier date, checking something, loading another nation and all the other good stuff.

As for pacing- expect an update per week. I'll try to get more in, but with time-constraints put on me from real life.. khm, just please, bear with me.

And since this is the second attempt from me playing Portugal, the first chapter, Short History of Portugal, is a blantant copy-paste.

Chapters

Short History of Portugal

Portugal under King Alfonso V, 1438-1484

The Beginning
Diplomacy and exploration
Conquest of Seville
Conquest of Tangiers
To the South!
Exploration and Expansion
West African Company
Overseas Affairs
Kicking Castile out of Mediterranean
Eulogy of Alfonso V

Portugal under King Jaime I, 1484-1531

Jaime I takes the reigns
Landlocking Castile
Taking Control of Zanzibar
Entry into Aden
Interlude: India!
Matters Overseas
Entry into Italy
Into Ceylon
Conquest of Aden and East Indian Trading Company
Portulocking Castile
Conquest of Malacca
Last War(s) of Jaime I
Eulogy of Jaime I de Avis

Portugal under King Filipe I, 1531-1547

Damn the Royal Navy
Entry into Mexico
Italy and Malacca
Conquest of Ceylon
Eulogy of Filipe I de Avis

Portugal under King João II, 1547-1550

João II, the Conqueror of Mecca

Portugal under Emperor Alfonso VI, 1550-1593

Coming of Age of Alfonso VI
The Big (light) Blue Blob
Interlude- the Coronation of Alfonso VI
Aragon, Finally
Fighting in America, Fighting in Italy
Conquest of Canton
Aragon and Castile
Let's Talk about Trade
The Trouble with Bahmanis
Let's Talk about Colonization
Revenge on Bengal
The Portuguese Trafalgar
The Sad Fate of Aragon
Revenge on Bahmanis
More Revenge on Bahmanis
Eugolgy of Alfonso VI de Avis

Portugal under Emperor Alfonso VII, 1593-1628

Conquest of Genoa
The War for the Island of South Georgia
Taking Control of Bengal
War for Mailand
Conquest of Hangzhou
American Adventures
Destruction of Min
Entry to Indus
Sind and Mali
Let's Talk about France
Le Big Blue Blob
Africa
Taking Control of Siam
Let's Talk about Trade
Home and Away
Kicking French out of Mediterranean
Eulogy of Alfonso VII de Avis

Portugal under Emperor Filipe II, 1628-1668

Go East!
Dealing with Papacy
It is a Good Year to Attack the French!
Changes to Trade
Across the Gibraltar
Conquer and Divide
Trouble in China
Old Enemies and Older Friends
France as a Colonial Power? Bah
Invincible Armada
Cleaning Aden
Conquest of Alexandria
To Conquer Naples and Die
Eulogy of Filipe II

Portugal under Emperor Manuel I, 1668-1676

The French Still Have Teeth
Indian Coast
Brief Good-bye to Manuel I

Portugal under Emperor Sebastião I, 1676-1715

Cleaning Borneo
The Last Crusade
Once Again into the Brits, My Firends
Unrivaling France
Malaccan Troubles
Into Heart of Mother Russia
Let's Talk about Trade
One Night in Paris
Don't Play your Bagpipes for me, Argentina
Conquest of the Coast of Africa
Euology of Sebastião I

Portugal under Emperor Filipe III, 1715-1776

Inland China
Managing Malicous Malwa
Taking Down the Dutch
End of France (and Other Endings)
Ending England as Colonial Nation
Making the World a Smaller Place
Let's Talk About Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes
Coast of Africa
Downfall of the Dutch
Removing "Great" and "Britain" from Great Britain
Kicking the Ottoman Empire from Mediterranean
City of Man's Desire
Last War of Filipe III
Eugology of Filipe III

Portugal under Emprer Duarte I, 1776-?

Intervention to Russia
Between the East and the West
Potop
Portuguese Italy

Last edited:
Reactions:
Short History of Portugal

The Beginning

History of Portugal goes back to ancient times. The people have been living there since the time immemorial. And why not- the climate is soft, the soil is rich and the sea provides the people with food as well. For these reasons, Portugal also attracted the attention of their stronger neighbours. First, the Carthaginians had .settlements in Portuguese area. Then, the Romans came, saw and conquered. Though to be fair, time between seeing and conquering was quite long- from 200BC to about the beginning of our time. Only by then, the Iberian peninsula was finally conquered and became part of the Roman provinces of Tarraconesis (northern part) and Lusitania (south of river Douro). Incidentally, the name of Portugal also came from that time - from a city called Portus Cale in the mouth of River Douro.

Conquista_Hispania.svg.png

Roman provinces and Roman conquest of Iberia

Visigoths

All the good things must come to an end. Though the Portugal enjoyed prosperity and growth in the Roman Empire, when the Empire fell, so did Portugal. Instead of Romans, they now had new overlords, of the barbaric sort. From 407-409, Germanic Vandals, Suebi and Alans crossed the frozen Rhine river and somehow ended up settling in Portugal, creating their own small Kingdoms there. Then came the Visigoths and attacked the rest of barbars and soon, Visigothic Kingdom ruled the entire Peninsula. After Franks kicked Visigoths out of Southern France in the beginning of the 6th Century, Visigoths remained only in Iberia, with their capital in Toledo. It was not a good time for Portugal, or for the rest of Europe. There, the Visigoths ruled for about 300 years.

Visigothic_Kingdom.jpg

Visigothic Kingdom at their absolute height

Arabic Conquest

It was a surprise how easy did Visigoths fall when Muslims invaded. It was a surprise to Tariq ibn Ziyad, the leader of the invasion as well. The battle of Guadalete, fought in 711 (or 712), basically ended the Visigoth rule. Historians had talked about battles consisting of over 100 000 soldiers on both sides, but in reality, it was more likely 1500 Muslims versus 2500 Visigoths. There had even been a speculation that it was an ordinary Muslim raid and the fellows did not plan to conquer at all. To everyone’s surprise, they managed to kill the last Visigoth King Roderic, crumble the realm and in the following decade, take all of Iberian peninsula, except for small kingdoms in the mountainous north. From there, the Muslims swarmed to Southern France and the young Christianity was at serious risk.

Al_Andalus.jpg

Arabic conquest at about year 1000AD

Start of Reconquista and of Portugal

From the Kingdoms of the North, Christians started to push back. It took centuries though to even begin and it took them even longer to finish it. Galicia/Leon/Asturias, at the most northwestern part of the Peninsula, was free of Muslims by as early as 750-ies. About the same time, Franks pushed the Muslims out of Southern France and in 801, Franks took the city of Barcelona and established Spanish Mark down there. Next was the city of Porto and the surrounding areas- conquered in 868, they were formed into County of Portucale and they became part of Kingdom of Leon. This is also considered to be the birthdate of current Portugal.

Meanwhile, reconquista raged on. Slowly, Christians were getting upper hand. Most famous of these dates is 1085, when Christians retake Toledo. With that, more then half of the Iberian lands in back at the Christian hands.

Foundation of Portugal

Henri (or Henrique) of Burgundy was the youngest son of Henri of Burgundy, who was the oldest son of Robert, Duke of Burgundy. Since Henri the Older died before Robert, brothers of Henry the Younger took the throne of the Duchy. Henri went crusading instead- helping King Alfonso VI of Castile and Leon to fight the Muslims. Incidentally, Alfonso was married to Henri’s aunt, Constance de Burgundy. In 1093, Alfonso married Henri to his illegitimate daughter Theresa and Henry received the county of Portugal as dowry. It was all fun and games, but in 1109, Alfonso died. In resulting struggle, Henri declared Portugal independent. But Henri also died, in 1112. Henri’s son, Alfonso, born in 1109, was the next count, but the regent was her mother, Theresa.

Henry%252C_Count_of_Portugal.jpg

Henri de Burgundy, Count of Portugal and founder of Burgundy Dynasty

Theresa herself fought against her sister, queen of Leon and was basically a royal pain in the butt for the region. She even expelled Alfonso in 1120, but in 1128, Alfonso finally defeated her mother in battle of São Mamede, put her mother in convent and claimed himself to be Duke of Portugal and defeated Alfonso VII of Castile and Leon (who was son of Urrica, sister of Theresa and thus, Alfonsos were cousins). With that, the independence of Portugal was guaranteed.

After battle of Ourique in 1139, when Alfonso (according to legends that are not the most reliable sources) defeated not one or two, but five Moorish kings and as a result, his soldiers came up with the bright idea- the men who defeats five kings must be King himself, so long live King Alfonso! How that really was, no-one can tell for sure, but one thing is certain- in 1143, with treaty of Zamora, Alfonso VII of Leon agreed Alfonso of Portugal to be an independent King. Finally, in 1179, Pope Alexander III declared Alfonso proper King and all that. Thus, the nation of Portugal was finally officially born.

Afonso_I_Henriques_de_Portugal.jpg

Alfonso, son of Henri and the first king of Portugal

Portuguese Reconquista

Despite the “grand victory” at Ourique, Muslims continued to be a threat and the battles turned both ways. The most important event of Alfonso’s rule was in 1147, when a band of Crusaders from the Second Crusade landed in Porto and offered their help in taking the City of Lisboa. Before that, Alfonso had taken the fortress of Santarem.

Siege_of_Lisbon_by_Roque_Gameiro.jpg

Portuguese and Crusaders taking Lisboa

From there on, the Kings changed and the fortunes of war changed. Sometimes, Portuguese were victorious and gained more land. Sometimes, Moors took the lands back. But slowly and steadily, Portugal pushed their borders further south until in 1249, during the reign of Alfonso III, the final province of Algarve and the city of Faro in the south was taken by Portugal. In Iberia, Portugal had reached the borders they still have in 1444.

Afonso_III.jpg

Alfonso III. During his reign, the Portguguese got their realm in to their current borders

King Dinis

Dinis, son of Alfonso III, is one of the most fondly remembered Kings of Portugal. He ruled from 1279-1325, he was called either Farmer or Poet and aside from one little war with Castile, his entire rule of 46 years was peaceful- a rare trait for ruler of Medieval Europe. He repopulated the war-torn lands, he built new towns, villages and castles, he advanced agriculture (and thus the Farmer callsign). He created the Royal Fleet that is now the foundation of Portuguese power. Also, he founded the University of Lisboa, now situated in Coimbra. And he wrote his own poetry that was quite good. This, for example is one of his works:

Code:
Flower of the green pine, oh flower,
do you have news of my lover?
       Oh God, and where is he?

Oh flower, flower of the green branch,
do you have news of my friend?
       Oh God, and where is he?

Do you have news of my lover,
who has proved himself a liar?
       Oh God, and where is he?

Do you have news of my friend,
who did not come when he said?
       Oh God, and where is he?

You ask me about your lover?
I tell you he’s well, he’s coming.
       Oh God, and where is he?

You ask me about your friend?
I tell you he’s coming, he’s well.
       Oh God, and where is he?

I tell you he’s well, he’s coming,
he’ll keep his word -  take comfort.
       Oh God, and where is he?

I tell you he’s coming, he’s well,
he’ll be here -  patience! -  in a while.
       Oh God, and where is he?

Dinis-P+%25281%2529.jpg

Dinis, one of the best Kings of Portugal

End of House Burgundy, rise of House Avis

All good things must come to an end and so must the story of House Burgundy, founded when Henry de Burgundy became the Count of Portugal. Last Burgundian King was Fernando I, who ruled from 1367-1383. He without a male heir and her daughter, Beatrice, was married to Juan I of Castile, thus supposedly uniting the two nations.

It seems though that the Portuguese nobles were not really fond of idea of Castilian king and thus, a civil war broke loose. João de Aviz, illegitimate son of Pedro I (father of Fernando) and thus, bastard brother of Fernando and grandmaster of the order of Aviz, Portuguese own military order formed on same basis as the Templars. Now, instead of being normal bastard under the rule of Juan, João decided to become a royal bastard. He was already popular amongst Portuguese nobles and thus, he raised his flags in rebellion.

Juan of Castile was of course not really happy about the turn of events. He gathered a large army and sieged Lisboa in 1384. Finally, hunger and plague forced them to retreat without taking the city. Next year, he gathered an army of 31 000 men and marched to Portugal, confident of victory, for João had only about 6500 men. Then, Battle of Aljubarrota happened. Small Portuguese army, with even smaller detachment of English archers, defended a hill and slaughtered Castilians and their French allies in August 1385. Though less known then Crecy, Poitiers and Agincourt (the later still about to happen), the Portuguese did the same- defeated an enemy several times more sizeable. About 5000 Castilians were killed in battle and another 5000 in aftermath, while Portuguese lost about 1000 men. To make matters worse for Castilians, Portuguese marched to Castile and in October 1385, Battle of Valverde happened. Castilians had superior numbers- 20 000 against 3000- and they were defending the river crossing. Portuguese crossed the river, forced Castilians to flee and won the day.

Batalha_de_Aljubarrota_02.jpg

The Battle of Abjubarrota

With that, Castile was defeated and João was crowned as the King of Portugal. True, Castile only admitted to that in 1411. Thus, Aviz, the branch family of Burgundy, who was a branch family of Capet, came to rule in Portugal.

Portugal from 1385-1444

João ruled to 1433. He married Philipa Lancaster, daughter of John of Gaunt. During his time, the realm prospered, though he granted too much privileges to his loyal nobles, thus weakening the realm a bit.

Casamento_Jo%25C3%25A3o_I_e_Filipa_Lencastre.JPG

João marrying Philippa

In 1415, João gathered an army of 45 000 soldiers and sailed to Ceuta, in Morocco. The attack came as a surprise to defenders of Ceuta and thus, the Portuguese managed to take the city before anyone understood what was going on. With João travelled his sons- his heir Duarte, Price Henrique the Navigator and Pedro and Alfonso, also sons of João. The event is usually marked as the beginning of Portuguese Empire.

Meanwhile, Portuguese continued their expansion by sea. Mostly thanks to Price Henrique the Navigator, who also became Grand Master of the Order of Christ. He continued to send out explorations, hoping to find more lands, riches and the legendary Priest King John, who was supposed to be a legendary rich king ruling somewhere, drowned in the lands of Muslims.

429px-Henry_the_Navigator_%2528Cronicas%2529.jpg

Prince Henrique, the driving force behind Portuguese exploration

In 1419, João Gonçalves Zarco discovered the isle of Madeira. In the next year, the beautiful island was colonized. In 1431, Gonçalo Velho Cabral discovered the Islands of Azores. He was given ship, a caravel, by Prince Henrique and told to discover land in the west. That he did- he stumbled upon Azores. The settlement took time, but even during the first voyage, Gonçalo released some sheep to the wilds so future colonists would have something to eat. By 1444, a small Portuguese colony is alive in Azores and growing.

Caravel-at-sea.jpg

Portuguese caravel, the power behind exploration

Meanwhile, King João died in 1433 and was succeeded by his son, Duarte. In 1437, he tried to take Tangiers, but this time, failed miserably. His own brother Fernando was captured and kept in captivity where he died in 1443. Duarte himself died of plague in 1348. His firstborn son, Alfonso (born in 1432) now ruled as a 6-year boy and King Alfonso V. In 1444, he was still underage, though he was well on his way to becoming an adult.

Reactions:
The Beginning

Ride in the Countryside

“Remember, Alfonso,” said Infante Pedro de Avis, Duke of Coimbra and current regent over the young King. Incidentally, he was also Alfonso’s granduncle. Keep in in the family, they said. “Castille is the biggest enemy we have.”

Peter_of_Coimbra_%2528St._Vincent_Panels%2529.jpg

Infante Pedro, Duke of Coimbra

The two were riding along the countryside in Lisboa, young King and his mentor. Rest of the retinue stayed back, so the two of them could talk in peace. It was late autumn, but it wasn’t raining that day. The sun was shining and the air was still warm.

Young King Alfonso had been a King about half of his life. Quite an achievement, considering he was twelve years old. Of course, no real power just yet, but still, even at the moment, some peasants noticed the royal posse passing and fell on their knees. If you are not careful, these things can get into your head. Dom Pedro was doing his best to be careful.

Domafonsov.jpg

King in Black- a portrait of good King Alfonso few years from now

“Why?” enquired Alfonso. “We seem to have a good relationship with them. They even call us their friends”

“Trade mostly, my boy,” replied Infante. “No matter what some people tell you, trade is where the real money is hiding and in order to be powerful nation in Europe, you’ll need a lot of it. Money feeds everything- armies, construction, reputation. If you have plenty of it, you are powerful. If you have little, you are not”

“And the other reasons, uncle?” young King seemed fully understand the importance of money at least.

“With the Muslims asking crazy amounts of money for spices, silk and other luxuries, we will have to find another way to Mysterious East. We and Castille are in the best position to start exploring westwards, to gain access to riches from the lands that are supposed to exist overseas. If we manage to beat Castille, we’d have a monopoly in there,” replied Infante, and added after a thought, “But that is really long-term. I’m sure I will not see it and I am doubtful you will either.”

He chuckled and continued: “The most short-term reason is quite simple- they have nice, rich, fertile lands brimming with people and us owning them would be so much better then them owning these lands”

Young King could only agree with that, and they both rode on, chuckling. Luckily, it was only chuckling, not cackling maniacally.”

Of Portugal

7 provinces in the mainlands, further in the west than any other nation in Europe. Totally surrounded by Castille. Rich provinces though. Especially Lisboa and Porto. Can sustain an army of 17 units. Brings decent income, most of it from taxes. Trade is important too- Portugal trades in the Sevilla node and two provinces, yet again Lisboa and Porto, are powerful trade posts in their own right. Fleet of 13 ships, 3 of them heavy, 5 light and 5 transports. 2 merchants, both specialized in trading with Muslims. One brings trade from Safi, another from Tunis. Quite developed provinces as well. Nothing to scoff about, basically. An average medium power in Europe.

portu001.jpg

The Portuguese monarch and advisors

Besides these 7 provinces, Portugal also has Isle of Madeira, south, next to Moroccan coast. Serves as a trading post and base for further expansion. Then, there are the Azores Islands- deep inside Atlantic Ocean. Again, works as a good base for expansion to the west. Finally, there is Ceuta. Just across the Strait of Gibraltar, in Moroccan territory. Conquered in 1415, it was the first time Iberians had turned the tide. Just 700 years ago, the Muslims from North Africa swarmed the shores of Iberia. Now, it was Portuguese time.

portu002.jpg

Mainland Portugal, it's monetary situation and Castille in comparison

Portugal had something no other nation had at the time. Prince Henrique the Navigator. A man very interested in exploring the vast oceans, new lands and making Portugal a suprime marine force. An in his service was another man, a man named Diogo Gomes. Born in 1420, he was in his middle twenties at the time. He was a good sailor, a good captain and a good admiral. But what set him apart from other such people of the time was his willingness to sail into the unknown. His dream and desire was to sail down the African coast, to find new riches.

640px-DiogoGomes.JPG

Modern statue of Diogo Gomes

There we have- a country that is in the most unique position. And a country that is destined to greatness.

Reactions:
A country i hate when it comes to football, but a country i love when it comes to EU4! I hope your conquests will go well :)

Welcome aboard! I can totally understand love for Portugal in EUIV, but my knowledge of football means usually rum and/or beer with friends during European or World Cup from quarterfinals or so on, so - they are playing too good, too bad or too wierd? :p

Diplomacy and Exploration

Making and Breaking Alliances

It was in Valencia, during December of 1444, when treaty of Alliance was signed between King Alfons V Trastamera of Aragon and King Alfonso V Avis of Portugal. Well, the latter signing was done by Dom Pedro in behalf of the King. Of course, the alliance was signed against all threats, but everyone knew whom it was set against- Castille, the common enemy of Portugal and Aragon.

Alfonso-V-el-Magnanimo.jpg

Alfons V Trastamera, King of Aragon

As Infante Pedro told Alfonso before sailing to Valencia: “We could win against Castille on our own, but it would deplete our treasury, manpower and could end with us going bankrupt and our lands looted. Remember, the key to successful war is to make it a short war, with you gaining your goals quickly and with as little damage to your armies as possible.”

Alfonso listened. And learned. As he learned for other treats of foreign policy Infante Pedro implemented.

Most radical of them was dropping the alliance with England. Dom Pedro, being half-English himself and grandson of famous John of Gaunt, Duke of Lancaster, did not make the decision with easy heart. Alfonso, being a quarter of English himself, totally understood it. (Duarte, grandfather of Alfonso and father of Dom Pedro, married Philippa of Lancaster, daughter of John of Gaunt, thus cementing the alliance that is now about to broken).

“If we want to be truly effective, we surround Castille with sea and enemies. Sea is easily manageable, enemies as well. We just need France to join us- and France does not join us if we are friends with England”, Don Pedro explained the political realities of the world.

So, a Portuguese emissary sailed to France after returning from England. From there, he was visible in the court and he kept improving the relations until Charles VII de Valois of France agreed to alliance. That happened in July 1445.

portu003.jpg

Alliance with France is always a good thing

With France, Aragon and Portugal at alliance, the Castille was indeed surrounded by enemies. Castille could have managed to win against every opponent alone, but three together would sure break the country. Especially since the only ally they could find thus far was Navarra.

Meanwhile, some shady people have been around Castille, finding documents proving that Sevilla is rightfully Portuguese.

First Expedition of Diogo Gomes

In December 1444, Diogo Gomes set sail from Lisboa, commanding all three Portuguese carracks. He sailed south, remapping Portuguese information about the Canary Islands and finally docked in port of Madeira, the Portuguese island there. Then, he re-supplied and then sailed forward.

In March 1445, he sailed south again, to the unknown. Following the African coast, he at first sailed south. Then, after a few month, he turned east. Sailing close to the coast meant at least that fresh water supply was almost always available, as was occasionally fresh game. And as were native tribes, some friendly, some not so. Portuguese cannons did offer some deterrent though, so nothing major. Not much landing going on as well though.

5111701coluuuuf.jpg

Early Carrack "Monte Carvalho", one of the ships of Diogo Gomes

In August 1445, Diogo Gomes arrived to a what we now know as Gulf of Guinea, right at the mouth of River Niger. From there, he discovered quite active trading community, which he dubbed Ivory Coast. He even managed to get some trade agreements and fill his ship with valuables. Soon, other Portuguese traders followed and Ivory Coast was adding a bit every month to the riches of Seville node.

portu004.jpg

Some money already moving towards Seville from Ivory Coast

In November 1445, his expedition crossed the equator. Gave the Portuguese quite a scare as the familiar northern sky faded slowly away and new constellations appeared on southern sky. Being the first Europeans to cross into southern hemisphere as well. And this was as far as they went. The ships needed repairs, the crew was exhausted and so, they turned back. Arriving in Madeira in March 1446, Diogo was ready to start a new expedition right away, but instead, he found a letter asking him and his fleet to sail to Lisboa and join the Portuguese fleet there.

portu006.jpg

Here be less dragons

Coming of Age of the King

It was in 15th January 1447 when King Alfonso V was old enough to rule the country by himself. In a grand ceremony, Dom Pedro gave his power officially back to him. Portugal was now ready for future. An army of 17 000 soldiers, bolstered recently with four regiments of mercenary infantry. Fleet of 13 ships, patrolling the coast of Portugal. And an alliance with France and Aragon. Portugal was ready.

portu005.jpg

Portuguese ready for what comes after the coronation

Reactions:
Castille is right now surrounded by enemies and the sea. Could have had Granada dragged in as well, but I prefer Castille to conquer them. Makes life a bit less Sunni in Iberian Peninsula.

Anyways, next time, we see an overki.. khm, i mean, an epic battle between evil Castille and Portugal and her faithful allies.

Ah, Portugal. A nation that sometimes does very well, otherwise not. And a nation that I should probably play as sometime soon.

Well, I fully expect to see Portugal stretch across the seven seas and then some!

I'm so happy to see you've returned to Portugal. I read your previous attempt but never commented as you'd already ended it by the time I came to the end. Your de Hautevilles is still one of my favorite AARs ever, so I'll be following along for this.

Conquest of Seville

Victory at Sea

It was in 1st February 1447, just 16 days after Alfonso became adult, that Portugal declared war on Castille, claiming Canary Islands as their own. France and Aragon joined the Portuguese, like good allies should. Meaning- Spain is surrounded.

The same day, Portuguese fleet of 3 carracks, 5 barques and 5 cogs engaged Spanish trade fleet outside Lisboa. Led by explorer Diogo Gomes, who was more then proficient in naval battles as well. Poor Spanish took their first defeat and as a lucky strike, the Portuguese captured 2 barques, sinking 3 of them and two more fled and took refuge in Cadiz.

portu018.jpg

Go for the eyes, Boo! Or the trade fleet!

From there, Armada Real, or the Portuguese fleet, sailed towards Gibraltar. In April, they engaged Spanish main fleet in Gulf of Valencia- 3 carracks and 5 cogs. Not alone though- Aragonese fleet of 8 galleys and 6 cogs sailed from Valencia and joined the Portuguese. Co-operation is obviously the key- or just overwhelming the enemy. Spanish main fleet was sunk, 1 cog captured and Portuguese were in control of the sea.

portu015.jpg

Spanish fleet sent to the bottom of the Mediterranean

Well, not totally, the 2 barques that managed to flee were still hiding in Cadiz. But in September, the Portuguese army annexed the city, forced them out to the sea and there was Diogo Gomes, waiting for them. One was captured, the other one sunk and with that, Portugal had wiped the Spain off the sea.

portu012.jpg

Sad end of Castilian fleet

Battle of Alfarrobeira

As the regency of Dom Pedro ended, Alfonso sent him away from court. Other nobles, jealous of his power, did pour some poison into young King’s ear as well. You know, the usual- Pedro is lying cheating bastard and such. And so, when Dom Pedro tried to return, they tried to convince Alfonso that Dom Pedro is trying to start a rebellion. Wisely, Alfonso had actually listened to the lessons Dom Pedro gave him and saw through their lies. He ignored the conspirators and rode out to meet Dom Pedro. Dom Pedro rode to him as well- alone- and they reconciled. Soon, the reforms continued and Portugal gained a little bit of gold thanks to the wisdom of the two combined.

portu016.jpg

The battle that never happened- Dom Pedro is alive and well and boosting Portuguese income

War on Land

Aragon was first to feel the wrath of Spanish as 12 000 strong Spanish army marched to Valencia and attacked (and defeated) Aragonese army of similar strength there. Not for long though- French army of 9000 attacked them in Valencia and forced the Spanish back. It seems like allies had started the war, while Portuguese army of 17 000 soldiers crossed the border and started sieging Sevilla.

portu019.jpg

Situation in eastern front. Aragonese licking their wounds in upper right, French just beat Castilians in lower center and in upper left, French and Castilians still marching to meet each other

Spanish had two forts- one in Toledo and one Castilla la Vieja. Not enough to cover all the Spain, but enough to make marching through the Spain a difficult task- meaning the war has to be fought on two fronts- eastern and western and passage between these two seemed only possible through provinces near Bay of Biscay.

It was in May 1447 when the French were attacked by another Spanish army in Valencia while Portuguese army moved on to attack the remnants of previously defeated Spanish army in Salamanca. Spanish managed to get freshly recruited reinforcements in, so the battle was actually quite evenly numbered. Still, about half of Spanish troops were still low on morale from their previous defeat and in June 1447, Portuguese had won the battle of Salamanca, their first military victory in this war.

portu014.jpg

Portuguese are also not slacking off. Battle of Salamanca was equally numbered and ended up in total Portuguese victory

Following the retreating Spanish, the Portuguese were rejoicing when they found out that Spanish destination is not somewhere safely behind their forts, but in Cadiz. As the new French troops were pouring in from the north, Portuguese attacked the Spanish and in 23rd July, after the Battle of Cadiz, Spanish army was no more.

portu013.jpg

End of one Spanish army. Dunno what happened to second- French must have finished them off somewhere.

By then, the war was more or less won. Spanish made some attempts, like occupying Baranza, but they failed to gather enough troops to give serious opposition. Enough so that in October, 2000 soldiers from Portuguese army were shipped overseas to Canary Islands without worries. The goal for this war was occupied in February, forces were shipped back, but apart from some small battles, with clear Portuguese superiority, no meaningful Castilian resistance no more.

The situation in September was following- more then half of Castilian lands occupied by allies, Toledo under siege by Portugal and French sieging Castilla la Vieja. As for Spanish troops- some remained. mostly in Madrid, where access was blocked because of the forts.

portu010.jpg

There is total defeat if i ever saw one

Exploration Continues

In fact, the situation was deemed so secure that Diogo Gomes was given back his three carracks and told to continue the exploration of south- the warships were not really needed in homefront no more. In November 1448, he mapped the Cape Verde Islands, and marked them as an excellent spot to begin expansion. Also, some tribal kingdoms in the shore of Africa. He returned in September 1449, having mapped the coast all the way to Kongo in the south, bringing back stories of harsh conditions, cruel tropical climate... and wealth.

portu009.jpg

Diogo Gomes sailing down the south coast of Africa. Again. This time, more thoroughly

Money of Stability?

In the end of 1448, Dinis da Sa, Portuguese treasurer, came up with an idea to sell some titles of nobility to these who can afford them. Alfonso V initially took a liking to the idea, but somehow the idea leaked. And Portuguese nobility rose to their feet- what you mean, my grand-grand-grandfather was brave and noble man (read, rich robber baron) who earned his titles in the field of honour (read: avoided the hanging for his crimes and gained a title by paying off first the bailiff and later the King). Well, they didn’t really-really like the idea. So, when Alfonso refused the idea, all the nobles breathed in collective relief and the situation was... well, somehow more stable.

portu011.jpg

Sale of titles? No-no!

Total Victory

Toledo fell in December 1448. Spain was utterly defeated, with most of the lands occupied by allies. The Spanish were begging for peace, and peace they did receive. Portugal took Sevilla and Canary Islands, all their treasury and forced them to free Galicia. Also, Spanish were forced to give up all the claims they had on Granada.

portu008.jpg

This is a blow to Castile

Historians would like to use term David winning over Goliath to glorify the Portuguese victory, though in truth, it’s more like David ganging up with another David and a friendly Goliath and together, descending on poor unsuspecting Goliath and beating him senseless. Still, a victory is a victory. And there is no better victory then the easy kind.

Owning Sevilla gave Portugal the true boost they needed in Seville node. Portugal now controlled over half of the income and trade income was increased by over 1 ducat per month. Nothing to scream “filthy rich”, but nothing to scoff at either.

portu007.jpg

Portugal gaining most of the Seville node.

As for Galicia- Portuguese ally in January, Portuguese vassal in July 1449. Also, coring costs- 163 for Seville, 63 for Canaries. Setting Portugal back total 226 administrative points.

Last edited:
Reactions:
This is how i like my wars- quick, efficient and brutal only to the enemy. I barely grazed my manpower pool with this war. Well, of course the Castile with only Navarra as ally helped a bit. As for why i took what i took- Seville is the obvious choice, i think. And Canaries serves the same purpose to Castile as Madeira serves to Portugal- early colonization hop-off point.
If i want to win colonial race with Castille/Spain, the most obvious thing to do is to block their attempts even before the start making there. Grabbing Canaries does just that. Of course, the idea is to get Spain landlocked before they start to colonize. We'll see how that turns out.
Oh, and got 99% war score and only demanded two provinces (plus Galicia). Why? Admin points of course. I'll try to spend only as much as is neccesary at this point- i'll try to rush admin 5 as soon as possible, grab exploration idea, not advance any dip tech as well, so i'll get colonization up and running in no time.

The new fort system. I like it. It makes wars more fun, with less boring siegies in every province and also, in theory, does not allow me to chase an enemy army and finish it off deep inside their territory. Unless, well, they run in a stupid directon. So, in other way, it makes wars drag more, and with more battles. Fun. Have to think carefully on where to place them though, for they are truly bloody expensive to build and to upkeep as well.

volksmarschall- you managed to get thus far without playing Portugal? Ok, different choises and preferences then- but it is a fine, fun country to play. And the one that can really profit from trade, as i hope to show soon. Well, at least seven seas is guaranteed!

TheAnguishedOne- oh my, i'm honoured to hear this. Hautevilles was a fun game and fun to write. Glad you liked it :) And i'll try to keep up the standards in this one.

I'm sure you'll prove successful. Is the plan to remain a wealthy power in Europe while expanding colony nations or are you aiming for pure wealth?

Nothing is better than a short, victorious war!

volksmarschall- you managed to get thus far without playing Portugal? Ok, different choises and preferences then- but it is a fine, fun country to play. And the one that can really profit from trade, as i hope to show soon. Well, at least seven seas is guaranteed!

Yes, I don't like playing as the mainstream nations--of which, if starting in 1444, I guess Portugal can count as one. I like a lot of the minors (taking, say, Friesland to form the Netherlands), or playing as Provence and re-creating the holdings of Charles of Anjou while simultaneously joining the HRE and trying to become emperor. The only mainstream nation I have a soft-spot for is Austria, but that is purely for genealogical reasons.

I keep promising myself to play as Portugal because I do enjoy the a-historical colonial aspect possible, but alas, have just struggled to get around to it. Maybe you'll inspire me! :cool:

I'm sure you'll prove successful. Is the plan to remain a wealthy power in Europe while expanding colony nations or are you aiming for pure wealth?

Well, to aim for pure wealth, i would need to control all of the trade in India and Far East. Well, that is my goal, to get all the trade flowing nicely from there to Sevilla. The problem is that you cannot do that with original Portuguese provinces alone. To be properly successful in East, i need at least 40 000 soldiers there, split into two armies and a fleet of 20 transports, preferrably 40 to transport them. The distance between say Malacca and Europe is too great to rely on shifting troops home and back in case of rebellions and even wars. Plus, i'll need around 20-40k in Europe and the same number of transports there as well. Plus huge amount of light ships to control trade, heavy ships to rule the seas. I'll get eaten up by manpower and forcelimit issues pretty quickly. So, in order to aim for pure wealth, i need to expand my power base in Europe as well. This reads like- kick Castile in buttocks, several times. Then, Aragon, then Italy. But the main reasons for doing so are purely colonial.

Yes, I don't like playing as the mainstream nations--of which, if starting in 1444, I guess Portugal can count as one. I like a lot of the minors (taking, say, Friesland to form the Netherlands), or playing as Provence and re-creating the holdings of Charles of Anjou while simultaneously joining the HRE and trying to become emperor. The only mainstream nation I have a soft-spot for is Austria, but that is purely for genealogical reasons.

I keep promising myself to play as Portugal because I do enjoy the a-historical colonial aspect possible, but alas, have just struggled to get around to it. Maybe you'll inspire me! :cool:

Yes, i know, playing as a minor is a challenge and fun of their own. I've done my share of Italian minors, Livonic order, German minors etc. As for Portugal- well, here is map of Portuguese lands at the Empire's peak. It actually isn't so much, and they unfortunately went to decline as well. Meaning- yes, they are a mainstream nation, but i always thought if fun to create Portuguese Empire that is more like a Brittish Empire. South America instead of North, for obvious trade reasons and so, but still, a true Empire where instead of trade posts and some cities, you control huge amounts of lands.

To me, Portuguese are undedogs comparted to Castile/Spain and i enjoy turning the tides here :)
Portugal_Imp%25C3%25A9rio_total.jpg

Gaaaaaah. Unhistorical borders! :mad:

... and it will get even worse, i promise!

Reactions:
Conquest of Tangiers

War Begins

The next logical target for Portugal would of course be Morocco, and their rich centre of trade in Tangiers. This time, the problem was them being allied to Granada. Meaning Portugal would have to fight a war in both Iberian peninsula and Moroccan soil. Even if Granada wasn’t so much of an opposition, Portugal doesn’t have the ability to fight war properly on both fronts. Thus, Morocco was scratched out from the list until time being, until in the end of July 1450, they broke their alliance with Granada. Guess the two had a falling out of some kind.

It was now the Portuguese fleet and army showed they really understand the meaning of quick reaction. By 15th August 1450, 17 000 soldiers were transported overseas to Ceuta and were ready to attack. The same day, war was declared. Only Aragon joined the war. France was busy attacking Brittany and newly acquired ally, the Papal States, thought Morocco to be too far. As for Moroccan allies- just Mzab.

6000 Moroccan soldiers in Fez- that surely was not the only army Morocco had, but the soldiers were nicely there, waiting for to attacked. And thus, Portuguese army marched on to the Fez, engaged the 2000 infantry and 4000 cavalry stationed there and... well, outnumbering enemy, surprising them totally. Soon the battle turned into rout as Moroccans run for their lives and Portuguese tried their best to cut them down. Result- total annihilation. Portuguese army marched back to Ceuta, and from there, to Tangiers and put the province under siege.

portu028.jpg

The war successfully started

Meanwhile, in the seas- Portuguese main fleet attacked the Moroccan trade fleet outside Gibraltar. Portuguese trade fleet joined soon and as a result, Moroccans were sent to the bottom of the ocean. With an exception of one poor barque that was captured and added to the Portuguese fleet. Moroccan main fleet stayed in port in Melilla after that, not daring to face Portuguese in the sea.

potu026.jpg

End of Moroccan trade fleet

Administrative Technology

In March 1551, Portugal finally advanced far enough in administrative tech to call it level 4. Temples can now be built. There was much rejoicing all over the country.

portu025.jpg

First techological achievement

End of War

Moroccans did indeed have another army. Totalling 20 000 soldiers. Alfonso quickly ordered some additional mercenaries to be recruited and thus, the Portuguese army was 20 000 as well. Neither side dared to risk open conflict. Moroccans still clearly remembered what had happened in Fez and thus, avoided battle. Portuguese felt that odds were too equal and the battle can go either way.

Instead, the two armies continued sieges. Moroccans sieged Ceuta, Portuguese Tangiers. Portuguese were in a better position, for their fleet had blocked off Tangiers and also, kept Ceuta supplied, meaning the Portuguese were doing a faster job.

In November 1451, Moroccans had yet another problem to take care of. In Dukkala, a pretender to the Moroccan throne rose with an army of 19 000 soldiers. They quickly grabbed the province and by the beginning of 1452, they were sieging Fez.

portu024.jpg

Mexican standoff in Morocco, with rebels adding to the cause.

That was not a Portuguese problem anymore though. In March 1451, Tangiers fell. Since Moroccans still didn’t attack, the Portuguese proposed a peace. Morocco accepted- just Tangiers and nothing else. It was all the Portuguese ever wanted too though.

portu023.jpg

With that, all the trade provinces in Seville are under Portuguese control

Time of Peace

After peace was signed, first thing Portuguese did was to destroy the fort in Tangiers. No need for that- the one in Ceuta will do just fine to protect Portuguese holdings in North Africa. Also, coring started on Tangiers, to be complete in 33 month. Alfonso also granted extra autonomy to Tangiers, to keep them from revolting.

In 1452, the nation became more happy as a holy man, known for his pious life and helping the fellow man, managed to cure a blind girl. Ripples of the news travelled across the country and soon, the poor fellow was up to his elbows in blind, handless, legless and even lepers who all hoped for a miracle. Still, it worked wonders for the country.

portu022.jpg

One extra stability at no real cost? Yes, please!

Portugal had also managed to gain some extra money. Alfonso spent some of it by building temples in Lisboa, Porto and Seville- where the monetary income nets the most. Otherwise, the nation was peaceful. Nothing much happened elsewhere too- France annexed Brittany, Sweden gained independence, Burgundy expanded a bit on their neighbours, but nothing that changes the world for Portugal.

In 1454, Portugal achieved land technology level 4- meaning better morale and better tactics. Always a good thing.

It was in January 1455 when Tangiers was finally part of Portugal. The huge amount of administrative points generated from there helped Portugal to be on her way- in January 1456, Portugal finally advanced administrative technology to level 5. The same day, Portugal adopted exploration ideas.
portu021.jpg

Yayy!

portu020.jpg

Way to the south was open

Reactions:
Well, at least changing the first idea to level 5 administrative delayed me quite a bit. And forced me to concentrate on ADM instead of DIP, meaning the ideas will come a bit slower and i'll be lagging behind DIP tech a bit more. Otherwise, it would have been easy- hold on coring Cadiz and Canaries until you get to ADM 4, then pour everything on exploration and profit. Now, we'll see. At least, everyone else is a bit behind too.

And clearing Tangiers means that when talking about provinces, Portugal controls all the important trade provinces in Seville. Lisboa, Seville, Tangiers and Porto. Making it alomost a monopoly.

The time of exploration has come! Where is Portugal heading first? The New World? The Far East?

The time of exploration has come! Where is Portugal heading first? The New World? The Far East?

You wish. First destination will b Cape Verde :D From there, more towards east, though i'll plan to do east and west simultaneously soon.

Reactions:
I loved your last Portugal AAR and am quite excited to see this redux!