Playing Cherokee:is luck a big factor?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Michaelp

Second Lieutenant
38 Badges
Jan 12, 2013
  • Darkest Hour
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Dungeonland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Age of Wonders III
I was playing the Cherokee and trying for the "trail of tears" achievement,and was just about ready to westernize,when France's colony decided it wanted half of my provinces,which I could deal with,with the assistance of my allies. What I could not deal with when was they decided it would be a good idea to call France into the war,and they came over,and proceeded to crush everything before them. I can't cope with that by any means,so how can I make this work? I've been at war with both Spain and Britain as well,but I managed to get then to end the war without loosing too much,but France seems determined to crush everything before it.

I was playing the Cherokee and trying for the "trail of tears" achievement,and was just about ready to westernize,when France's colony decided it wanted half of my provinces,which I could deal with,with the assistance of my allies. What I could not deal with when was they decided it would be a good idea to call France into the war,and they came over,and proceeded to crush everything before them. I can't cope with that by any means,so how can I make this work? I've been at war with both Spain and Britain as well,but I managed to get then to end the war without loosing too much,but France seems determined to crush everything before it.

Did you build a giant navy? I think that's the standard tactic to keep out Europeans.

I did the trail of tears couple days ago and I didn't have the problems you seem to be having. By the time first European colonies appeared in North America I already controlled all native nations in NA expect inland ones that didn't have land border with the rest. That should give you the power base to take on European powers. In my run, I had to fight a single war against Spain to take their colonies in Thirteen Colonies region, and I managed that using all the gold I had amassed by the time it came to blows. Just creating a big enough fleet to stop them ferrying troops across the ocean is usually enough to dominate North America against colonizers.

So, even though it's too late now, I think the trick to Cherokee runs is not to hire advisers or build buildings or anything during the years before Europeans come. Just gather money and slowly conquer other natives in North America until you can create big enough fleet.

Also, about the achievement: You own the provinces when you just have colonies in them. So by the time you have a colonist and no other nation owns provinces there (and you have westernized), just add a colonist to a province (and put troops there to protect the colony), recall it and repeat until you every "gray" province is you colony with about 10 settlers in each of them. Should be enough the get the achievement.

Also, about the achievement: You own the provinces when you just have colonies in them. So by the time you have a colonist and no other nation owns provinces there, just add a colonist to a province (and put troops there to protect the colony), recall it and repeat until you every "gray" province is you colony with about 10 settlers in each of them. Should be enough the get the achievement.

Getting the territory generally isn't the hard part, as you said, beating up all the natives allows you to block it all in before the Euros come calling. The issue is deterring or repelling the Euros/CNs while the CN drags its feet teching up enough so you can westernize.

To the OP, if you go again you might want to consider taking aristocratic as one of your idea groups to fill when you reform (you did save up plenty of mp to fill groups rather than buying techs, right?). The +100% coring cost does help with deterring ai attacks.

Getting the territory generally isn't the hard part, as you said, beating up all the natives allows you to block it all in before the Euros come calling. The issue is deterring or repelling the Euros/CNs while the CN drags its feet teching up enough so you can westernize.

To the OP, if you go again you might want to consider taking aristocratic as one of your idea groups to fill when you reform (you did save up plenty of mp to fill groups rather than buying techs, right?). The +100% coring cost does help with deterring ai attacks.

Helpful, but not necessary. In my 1.7 attempt at this where I finally bothered I had 40 heavies building after reform, nobody in Europe had more than 15ish, and since I reformed to tech 9 they were all carracks. At that point I was able to ally --> become a protectorate of a European and that functionally let me mothball them and run better advisors, but as a native it's not too hard to blow the AI out of the water with ships. The bigger problem was westernizing with a 6 progress/category rate. With 18/month, you need just over 23 years to westernize if you don't take slower progress (and I'll take it to avoid stab hits and -legitimacy). I also went protestant which put unity to 0% (if you want easier westernization, humanist guarantees you a minimum of 50% unity due to raising heathen tolerance + having unity as an idea), which put a lot of pressure on RR but screw it I didn't want to be Catholic lol. It wasn't too bad though since I just cared about the achievement + harsh treatment spammed a bit, pretty straightforward achievement these days.

Surviving and westernizing as Aztec more recently (trying for sunset now finally) was a bit more annoying. I actually wanted to go Catholic + embrace counter-ref...but that wasn't available yet so only 1 missionary in Catholic...so this time Protestant was actually the faster choice as I took that and went DotF lol.

Playing as Pueblo around 1550 so far only France and Great Britain are in NA, in Canada... have I been lucky? I need to border them to reform and westernize but I'm waiting to border Spain or Portugal I don't want to border France... I'm colonizing all the coastal provinces

How do you conquer the natives when you can't fabricate claims? I guess missions may help, but won't you have to no-CB a lot?

Also, how exactly do you convert to Catholic? Can you just do it like a normal conversion between Christians when you discover a Catholic nation?

It's a westernization event, now weighted to be 10x more frequent than other events, so you'll have a hard time westernizing + staying pagan (though converting makes for some of the hardest westernization possible in the game due to the unity hit stacked with 10 RR from westernizing).

You just use missions, trade conflicts, or no-CBs to conquer. Your stability isn't hard to boost with the huge cost reduction from government type. Culture convert spam too once you have your colonist; you'll still get the ideas finished before you see Europeans in most cases to reform, and it helps against revolts + makes the provinces more valuable later.

I got exploration all in one go once I hit adm 4, thanks to storing the dip points. Now I have a free CB on everyone. But the alliance web and federations make it rather hard to conquer, last war I attacked a 2 province Navajo and was destroyed, their one province migrating allies were able to field rather large armies... So I was planning on westernizing before conquering everyone

I got exploration all in one go once I hit adm 4, thanks to storing the dip points. Now I have a free CB on everyone. But the alliance web and federations make it rather hard to conquer, last war I attacked a 2 province Navajo and was destroyed, their one province migrating allies were able to field rather large armies... So I was planning on westernizing before conquering everyone

Why are there still natives around while you're hitting ADM 4? Why are you even hitting ADM 4 by teching? Just kill everything and spend away coring/culture converting, border a European, and reform up a ton of techs. If you wait until they are at ADM 12 you can get ADM 10 for 3 idea groups instantly and have enough points to fill or almost fill them. Then you go back to storing points while waiting for them to take 2 techs so you can westernize.

Pueblo will probably have to no-CB to get a vassal in the East to get coring range, but you can manage that if you pick targets carefully. Sniping enemy allies into vassals via occupying them can let you turn some bigtime outnumbered wars in your favor and progress very quickly.

Why are there still natives around while you're hitting ADM 4? Why are you even hitting ADM 4 by teching? Just kill everything and spend away coring/culture converting, border a European, and reform up a ton of techs. If you wait until they are at ADM 12 you can get ADM 10 for 3 idea groups instantly and have enough points to fill or almost fill them. Then you go back to storing points while waiting for them to take 2 techs so you can westernize.

Pueblo will probably have to no-CB to get a vassal in the East to get coring range, but you can manage that if you pick targets carefully. Sniping enemy allies into vassals via occupying them can let you turn some bigtime outnumbered wars in your favor and progress very quickly.

Pueblos are rather peaceful people... they don't just "kill everything", besides I started as a OPM and far from everyone I could not surely attack Cheerokee or Huron...

Generally, your wars will be your alliance web vs theirs, what I do is just make sure I'm the one that sieges capitals and separate peace vassal or annex everything. Mostly use claims from missions or events for the early targets (Creek, Chickasaw, Shawnee primarily). Block out the coasts from Stadacona to New Orleans or further although leaving Timucua for later in the hope of an isolated non-CN works too. To make westernizing easier you can just maintain a few big vassals instead of annexing everything (or release and sell stuff right before hitting the button). They'll help fight the rebels as well as decrease your income for faster progress. No CB is viable but not preferred, after reforming you can go exploration for a CB or just fabricate claims (theoretically you can get/fill an idea group before reforming but that uses a lot of admin points you may have better uses for).

Even though westernization becomes harder, I'd advocate annexing as much as possible and culture converting it. Your manpower and money post-westernization are just so much better.

You can sell it to a vassal afterwards, just keep a single wrong culture province vassal around and feed it although I usually go with 2-3 to make the annexation faster.

Culture conversion in not always good option because provinces with non-accepted culture will spawn nationalists instead of reactionaires. Also, after reforming goverment and taking exploration ideas i'd reccomend to vassalize aztec/maya and inca, you can annex-release them in one war and diploannex after westernization.

boy. after I failed this once, I never want to try again. It was so tedious and boring, and then the event to flip religion fails to fire. fun. I lose.

You can offset +10RR from westernization and religious conversion easily, take admin tech 4 before reforming goverment and take plutocratic ideas. After reforming take humanist ideas, this is aproximately -8RR(-4RR + 3 tolearance + some religious unity) and add to this theologian and +3 stability and you will get ~0 RR total even with 0 legitimacy. Also fifth generic native idea is another -2RR which also helps if you reforming your goverment after european neighbour advanced to admin tech 11.

You can offset +10RR from westernization and religious conversion easily, take admin tech 4 before reforming goverment and take plutocratic ideas. After reforming take humanist ideas, this is aproximately -8RR(-4RR + 3 tolearance + some religious unity) and add to this theologian and +3 stability and you will get ~0 RR total even with 0 legitimacy. Also fifth generic native idea is another -2RR which also helps if you reforming your goverment after european neighbour advanced to admin tech 11.
just save up 2k points and take exploration, humanist. That's plenty and won't force you to blow so much adm. Even the lost progress from staying pagan beats tech to adm 4 imo.