• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Cormac91

First Lieutenant
93 Badges
Sep 3, 2011
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • 500k Club
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Prison Architect
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
This is NOT a submod. If you wish to create a 769 submod using HIP resources, then you'll have to ask the relevant members of the HIP team for their permission.

I decided to start this thread based on discussions from this thread.

The main issue with developing a 769 submod for the SWMH map is down to the sheer amount of work involved. It's mostly tedious data gathering. Many attempts over the years have been made to get such a submod going. Every attempt has ultimately faded into nothingness for understandable reasons in respect to devoting one's personal time to such a monumental task. And once the submod has died, so has much of the data involved, mainly because the developer has burned out and disappeared, which is very understandable. We are only human.

The purpose of this thread is to help future 769 submod developers by allowing members of the public to do much of the data gathering without any actual submod development. We are not publishing any edited HIP mod files here, just gathering relevant data.

The main task that has been mentioned over and over again (see the thread I referenced above) is mapping the SWMH counties with the Vanilla counties.

So, I've set up a Google Sheet to do just that. Anyone can access and contribute to it. This will require effort from the public to see completion as I won't be doing it all on my own. I just wanted to create a means to help. This should help keep 769 submods alive in future.

Good luck to any future 769 modders. Anyone is welcome to help with this data. And thank you to the HIP modders who've done so much amazing work.

EDIT: The public no longer has write access to the sheet. The public still has read access and can view the sheet here. If you want write access then pm me.

Last edited:
All we need to know before we grant permission to 769 submods is who will be involved and what the scope of the submod is. Direct port of Vanilla, Small changes to the direct port or a major overhaul of Vanilla's 769 setup. We have given permission to every single 769 submod we've gained knowledge of was in the making.

The problem is just, as many forumites comes to realise once they take on the challenge of creating a bookmark. It takes a lot of time and a lot of work. Which is also why we always encourage you to join together and help each other before starting work on a submod as big as a 769 bookmark, like we HIP devs help each other.

Guidelines for using the county mapping Google Sheet:

Only make edits to the red columns.

The first sheet, Mapping Vanilla-to-SWMH Data, contains 2 sections.

The first section contains all of the Vanilla counties, their ID #, Title ID, and other regional information (duchies, kingdoms, etc.).

The second section is for mapping the SWMH counties. If there are no equivalent SWMH counties for a given Vanilla county, then leave it blank. If more than one SWMH county maps to a Vanilla county, then there are up to 5 columns for each mappable SWMH county. I can add more columns if necessary. In each of these columns, add the equivalent SWMH county Title ID. There's also a column for adding your username for the record when showing which counties you worked on, or even if you want to claim an entire bunch of counties to work on in advance. This is handy to see where the workload is going and to keep a record on who did what. Then there's a final column for writing notes if something needs to be said about those counties.

The second sheet, Mappability and Completion Data, contains 5 sections.

The first section shows all of the SWMH county ID #s and the county real-world name.

The second section is editable, as I didn't get around to getting all of this data myself. After you've mapped counties in the first sheet, make the relevant edits to this section also (or you can do this part in advance). Primarily, add the SWMH county Title ID under the relevant column for the counties you're working on. Secondarily, it would also be helpful if you could fill in the other SWMH regional data for each county, such as their parent duchy, kingdom and empire. That data would be very useful for filtering regions and checking data later on.

The third section is locked from editing. Do not try to edit it. What it does: it shows how many times the neighbouring SWMH county Title ID has been mapped in the first sheet. This is useful to check if a county has been mapped or not. It is also useful to check what counties have been mapped multiple times, so we can fix it later on.

The fourth section has a column that allows you to say whether a SWMH county is mappable or not. If a SWMH county is not mappable to any Vanilla county, then set this to FALSE. There's also a column for writing any additional notes on these SWMH counties.

Finally, the fifth section shows us how much work has been completed. When this is 100%, and everything checks out, then we are finished!

He is trying to map the differences between Vanilla and SWMH on a province level. Which SWMH provinces would be a part of which Vanilla provinces. Hence why he have a long list of provinces on the one side of the document

Sorry, I don't understand. What kind of data are you looking for? Dynasties etc?

He is trying to map the differences between Vanilla and SWMH on a province level. Which SWMH provinces would be a part of which Vanilla provinces. Hence why he have a long list of provinces on the one side of the document

Yes. For any given vanilla CK2 county there will often be multiple counties filling its place on the SWMH map.

For example: I think there are 2 counties in vanilla Iceland and 4 counties in SWMH Iceland. So that probably means that 1 county in vanilla Iceland = 2 counties in SWMH Iceland.

The goal is to find which SWMH counties fit into any given vanilla county.

Once all of the county data has been mapped like this, we might be able to automate a playable 769 SWMH map using vanilla data. A few people have proposed this type of automation. But the mapping work has to be done manually first.

Once a 769 SWMH map exists with vanilla data, we can start working towards adding characters and other data.

EDIT: But note that this thread isn't dedicated to any particular 769 submod. It's just a means of working on data to help any existing or future submod. Working on a submod mod (using this data or not) will require permission before being released to the public.

Last edited:
Going to need title ID 6!

Btw, should I mention that vanilla is changing the map in baltic and poland counties?

I added another column for Title ID 6.

I'll make the appropriate updates to the sheets when the vanilla map changes come about. Shouldn't be too much work.

I'm looking in the province folder and figured that to intentify a province with a name that does not completly aply to the ID I use to search for the baronies inside the province. Like firdafylki, it's ID name is c_foerde and difficult to search, however i searched for the barony in firdafylki, berdla. Wich allowed me to find it more quickly.

Last edited:
Some provinces will not fit neatly into Vanilla provinces, so for some provinces it will be better to use title histories and judge which vanilla title history should gain priority for representation's sake, when making decisions about which Vanilla province to connect with which SWMH province. But those provinces can be postponed until the end.

I don't quite understand what the 2nd tab is for though. I would maybe like try to contribute details for the Arabian Peninsula and possibly the greater Middle East if needed.

I don't quite understand what the 2nd tab is for though. I would maybe like try to contribute details for the Arabian Peninsula and possibly the greater Middle East if needed.

In the 1st tab, we are filling in the SWMH counties in respect to their vanilla equivalents.

2nd tab expands upon that. It's for checking how many times a SWMH has been mapped to a vanilla county so that we can check for conflicts. Another column is for determining whether a SWMH county can be mapped to a vanilla one or not (default = TRUE). The last column shows how much of the work has been completed in respect to whether a SWMH is mappable and how many times it has been mapped (if a county has been mapped more than once or not at all, then it doesn't go towards the completion percentage). Finally, while I was able to copy and paste all of the SWMH county names with ease, I would have taken me too long to fill in the county IDs, duchy names, kingdom names and empire names; so those should be filled in too as we go along.

Edit: PM me if you want to help and I'll give you write access to the data. However, I think we should stop working on this until the next CK2 DLC, due to the many upcoming map changes.

Almost 5% of the mapping work is done! Getting there slowly but surely. :)

Anyone that has any historical geographical/political knowledge of any regions of the map that can offer their help would be much appreciated.
I dont think you need to fill 100% to single count level. Even vanilla HIP gets away in many ocasions with giving the whole duchy to the guy there's info about and then once the game starts he will give all the counties to random characters