• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Is there a template that is required or recommended for strttegy guides so the hard work of layout is well advanced by examples and markings?

@Dauth (and everyone else): With patch 1.6 coming up soon-ish, 212 out of 316 articles are not yet fully updated/verified for patch 1.5*. Could we maybe slim down articles to make them easier to update (and keep updated)? For me a huge road block are lists, which I personally find largely useless but take up a lot of time to verify. Examples:
  • equipment: the majority of the page is listing equipment type stats
  • world tension: listing the effects on all ideologies, plus thresholds and source of WT in national focuses
  • Tibet: lists of advisors, resources etc.
I think the reality is that most of such lists will not be updated by anyone in a timely manner while they are an obstacle to marking articles as up-to-date. As a result they make the wiki look outdated and unreliable. To be clear I'm not against having this kind of data in the wiki in general but I think it should be kept separate by default. Thoughts?

* if I'm counting right: Category:potentially_outdated + Category:Articles_with_potentially_outdated_sections versus Special:AllPages - Special:ListRedirects(main articles)

Hi, I've been working since 2017 on the French Wiki but today, I erased my Firefox cookies and it seems impossible to log in again : I can still do it without anyproblem on the forums or on the English Wiki, but not on the French : I'm taken to the Login-Paradox Accounts page, and when I enter my password, I get this message :

"Service hostname https://hoi4-fr.paradoxwikis.com/index.php?title=Spécial:Connexion&returnto=Hearts+of+Iron+IV+Wiki not allowed"

I suppose some important data has been erased when I deleted cookies, but I need help to get back to work. Thanks by advance !

@bitmode We still have some 1.0 articles knocking around. Again a lot of the older articles are lists. The policy is to not delete content if its still relevant. As for the lists we'd ideally like some form of script to be used to transfer the information (even better would be a published script). If a page is unwieldy because of its size then splitting it is fine, or updating a section at a time. I don't play HOI4 so I don't have the knowledge to update the wiki. As long as people follow the policy, whoever updates the wikis often gets a large say in their direction.

Hi, I've been working since 2017 on the French Wiki but today, I erased my Firefox cookies and it seems impossible to log in again : I can still do it without anyproblem on the forums or on the English Wiki, but not on the French : I'm taken to the Login-Paradox Accounts page, and when I enter my password, I get this message :

"Service hostname https://hoi4-fr.paradoxwikis.com/index.php?title=Spécial:Connexion&returnto=Hearts+of+Iron+IV+Wiki not allowed"

I suppose some important data has been erased when I deleted cookies, but I need help to get back to work. Thanks by advance !

Hi I have reported the issue and will have it looked at on Monday, Sorry for any inconvenience.

@bitmode We still have some 1.0 articles knocking around. Again a lot of the older articles are lists. The policy is to not delete content if its still relevant. As for the lists we'd ideally like some form of script to be used to transfer the information (even better would be a published script). If a page is unwieldy because of its size then splitting it is fine, or updating a section at a time. I don't play HOI4 so I don't have the knowledge to update the wiki. As long as people follow the policy, whoever updates the wikis often gets a large say in their direction.
Welp, second page I update I get into an edit war and a dozen hours of work down the drain

Welp, second page I update I get into an edit war and a dozen hours of work down the drain

Bitmode, you have made huge contributions to the HoI4 community and I can see that what you were trying to make a positive contribution to the wiki, but one aspect of your edits to the Modifiers page perhaps fell short of best practice.

The changes were made in two huge edits. IME this is almost guaranteed to prompt an immediate reversion on any public wiki. If you break your changes up into smaller edits, then other editors can disagree with some of your changes without reverting all of your work. It also means that you have to write more edit summaries, which helps other editors to understand your rationales. BE BOLD is a fundamental principle of wiki editing, but some ways of being bold get better results than others. :p

Removing a categorized list with examples and replacing it with an alphabetical list without examples is, objectively, a loss of information. You correctly perceived that the old form of the Modifiers page was basically a list, which means that it was basically there for reference rather than understanding. I can imagine Joe Bloggs working on their mod, loading up their bookmark, and suddenly finding their reference has disappeared.... :eek::confused:o_O Bradshaws (railway timetables) and Baedekers (tour guides) are both good things, but suddenly changing a timetable reference into a guide is likely to cause annoyance. However, you most definitely did the right thing by opening a discussion on the talk page before you edited. It's so frustrating when you do the right thing and then people still give you grief. :(:mad: But no wiki is ever perfect or finished. And there's certainly no wiki with perfect editors (as I've proved with my own edits too many times!). Do keep being bold! :)

That there are multiple objective reasons why old info is better than no data from the user perspective is something that should be addressed from time to time. The notice as to a page's section's currency is useful and serves as a caution to the user. Maybe it could flag whether it is partially updated.

That there are multiple objective reasons why old info is better than no data from the user perspective is something that should be addressed from time to time. The notice as to a page's section's currency is useful and serves as a caution to the user. Maybe it could flag whether it is partially updated.

You've just described the sversion template that we've been using for years.

You've just described the sversion template that we've been using for years.
If a page has sections with different {{SVersion}} numbers, what should the main {{Version}} of the page be? I've only seen it be the minimum version but this sounds like it ought to be the maximum version?

I wanted to add a sentence in an article (https://hoi4.paradoxwikis.com/Country_creation#Flag) and when saving I have been blocked for a week.
The moderation message link to 2 non-existent pages to contact whereas I have configured an e-mail adress, that's why I post here.
upload_2019-2-23_16-8-3.png

My current IP address is 77.147.181.14
The block ID is #2640

The sentence I wanted to add should be like "The flag file format is 32-bits and uncompressed."

I wanted to add a sentence in an article (https://hoi4.paradoxwikis.com/Country_creation#Flag) and when saving I have been blocked for a week.
The moderation message link to 2 non-existent pages to contact whereas I have configured an e-mail adress, that's why I post here.
View attachment 454016
My current IP address is 77.147.181.14
The block ID is #2640

The sentence I wanted to add should be like "The flag file format is 32-bits and uncompressed."
All abuse filters seem to be managed by @Meneth who's not working on the wiki anymore according to their user discussion page. I made the edit for you in the mean time.