Native Americans + Conquistadors Unit pack renders

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

LarsHahus

Paradox South
Apr 24, 2012
Hi all!

As usual, we'd like to share some visuals from the unit packs we have done so you can be sure that you're picking up your moneys worth!
I'm not going to write a dev diary this time but rather let the renders speak for themselves.

As always, do keep in mind that we always have to make hard design decisions based on historical references, coolness factor and what works in game.
If for instance you think we have made weird design choices for one native american tribe it might have to do with a compromise, keeping some typical traits reserved for another tribe to keep all units diverse.

The big chieftains headress for the Creek tribe for instance is debatable, but we really wanted to get it into the game.

Enjoy!

Is your wallet ready? :laugh:

Click away here!

:excl:NATIVE AMERICAN UNIT PACK on steam

:excl:CONQUISTADOR UNIT PACK on steam

Reactions:
Nice! Though it would also be cool to see some sort of generic conquistador unit sprites for non-historical colonizers (my Britanny knights look a bit odd in the New World...).

BTW have already pre-purchased both unit packs and the DLC :)

They look amazing, consider it bought!

Those are beautiful. I've never purchased a unit pack before but I will if you can answer me one question (in two parts...):

What tech do these come in at, and do they replace the pikeman that wonders around America until tech 12(?)?

What tech do these come in at, and do they replace the pikeman that wonders around America until tech 12(?)?

Conquistador Unit Pack replaces every Spanish and Portuguese unit in the New World. This includes Iberian minor nations and the new colonies from Conquest of Paradise!

Cheers, pre ordered!

Do you have these shots in higher resolution?

Click the images and you can open up a hires version.

I, on the other hand, only bought the Natives one since I never play Spain or Portugal.

Going by the units, I'm probably gonna roll with Sioux or Apache. As a bonus, as Sioux, I should be able to easily settle my actual home province.

I'm surprised and a little sad that they're sticking to the yellow uniforms for the Spanish.

AFAIK White uniforms with red accents were more typical (at least for the tricorn era).

I'm surprised and a little sad that they're sticking to the yellow uniforms for the Spanish.

AFAIK White uniforms with red accents were more typical (at least for the tricorn era).

IIRC unit color depends on the nation's colors (the stripes on occupied provinces), so not much that can be done without changing the way Spain looks for the entirety of the game.

IIRC unit color depends on the nation's colors (the stripes on occupied provinces), so not much that can be done without changing the way Spain looks for the entirety of the game.

I was under the impression that this was different for unique unit sprites.

Last edited:

We are limited to predefined values for the colours and we have a little less freedom on how we colour conquistador units compared with regular units, because of how new colonial nations apply their national colours.

Last edited:
thanks guys!

Regarding this unit pack only being spain and portugal my best answer is that these models are unique and take a while to create.
If we started making more than 2-3 nation units for these DLC's they'd be more expensive and have a later releasedate. This time we went for Spain and Portugal.
If you guys would like to see more units from specific parts of the world, we are very happy to take your requests into consideration!

thanks guys!

Regarding this unit pack only being spain and portugal my best answer is that these models are unique and take a while to create.
If we started making more than 2-3 nation units for these DLC's they'd be more expensive and have a later releasedate. This time we went for Spain and Portugal.
If you guys would like to see more units from specific parts of the world, we are very happy to take your requests into consideration!

Those models look great. I have one wish that you guy can have a solution to allow these assets to be included in mod, but only active when the user owns the DLC.
In CKII, when a user without the DLC tries to load a mod that includes DLC exclusive features, the game will crash. If EU4 also has similar DLC content protection like CKII, DLC-owner would be very happy to see your amazing sprites in their favorite mod.

thanks guys!

Always happy to contribute my money to well made products by you guys. :)

And I can't believe I have to suggest to a Scandinavian company to make unique units for the Nordic countries. ;)

thanks guys!

Thanks for the work, and there are many sprites that already look great, and any more new sprites will be more than welcome. But the default medieval European sprites could use a few upgrades I think.