• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

AndrewT

The Full Monty Python
116 Badges
Jun 29, 2001
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • Gettysburg
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • King Arthur II
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Lead and Gold
  • Legio
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Lost Empire - Immortals
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • March of the Eagles
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Pirates of Black Cove
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Ancient Space
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Darkest Hour
  • Dungeonland
  • East India Company Collection
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
This is a modified copy of the sticky thread with a similar title from CK2. Please point out any errors or additions below.

File Locations on Windows
The default location for the executables (eu4.exe and eu4_launch.exe and DLCs) is in C:/Program Files/Steam/SteamApps/common/Europa Universalis IV/ .

The user files (settings.txt, error logs, saved games, gfx, mods) are in C:\Users\USER\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Europa Universalis IV\

File Locations on Mac OS X
The executable and DLC folder are in Users/USER/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Europa Universalis IV/

On OS X 10.8.x and later, Apple have hidden the /Users/USER/Library/ folder. To see it go to the Finder, hit command-shift-G (ie Go To) and type in ~/Library/ .

The user files (settings.txt, error logs, saved games, gfx, mods) are in /Users/USER/Documents/Paradox Interactive/Europa Universalis IV/ .

File Locations on Linux
The binary and DLC folder by default are in ~/.steam/steam/SteamApps/common/Europa\ Universalis\ IV/

Since the 1.12 patch the user files (settings.txt, error logs, saved games, gfx, mods) are now in .local/share/Paradox\ Interactive/Europa\ Universalis\ IV/ , not in /home/$USER/.paradoxinteractive/Europa\ Universalis\ IV/ any more.

If you run a CK2 savegame export, then that will appear in .local/share/Paradox\ Interactive/Crusader\ Kings\ II/eu4_export/mod

Where to find a local copy of your Cloud saves:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\<YOUR STEAM ID>\236850\remote\save games

How to clear out your Steam Cloud save space:
http://gaming.stackexchange.com/que...ck-way-to-delete-saves-off-of-the-steam-cloud

Delivery of eBooks
eBooks connected with PDS games are delivered by Steam as .mobi and .epub files into the game files, they are NOT available within the Steam client itself at all. The folder they end up in is:
\Steam\SteamApps\common\Europa Universalis IV\ebook

Windowed Mode

Yes, the game can be run in windowed mode. In order to enable it, you need to go into your documents folder and open a file named settings.txt (use Notepad or Textedit.app, not Word). Change the line that says "fullScreen=yes" to "fullScreen=no" (minus the quotation marks) and save. You may want to select a different resolution for this, too.

Custom resolutions

EU4's engine allows you to create a custom resolution, which for example would be useful if you want to emulate a borderless window mode (not directly supported) or double the text size without making everything look too blurry. This can be simply done by opening the settings.txt file (see above for where to find it) and changing the "x" and "y" variables near the top of the file. "x" is the width and "y" is the height. Note that the smallest supported values are 1024 (for "x") and 768 (for "y"). (Kudos to ewphoenix123 for this tip!)

Performance boosts

If you're running the game on an older computer or a laptop, you may notice some "lag" or low framerates (game feels sluggish). If this the case for you, you may be able to improve the performance by disabling various graphical options. Open settings.txt in your documents folder (see above for where to find it) and change lines to read as below (you should experiment with these, not all will necessarily help and some will reduce map features).

Code:
force_pow2_textures=no

draw_trees=no

draw_postfx=no

draw_hires_terrain=no
    draw_citysprawl=no
    draw_shadows=no
    draw_reflections=no
    draw_ambient_objects=no

Note that EU4 is less forgiving than CK2 for under-spec video cards in particular. If none of the above helps you can try any of the low-res mods in the EU3 User Mods forum; also is it presumed and hoped that Paradox will further optimise EU4 performance in upcoming patches (1.1.3 was just release at the time of writing this, so after that). There is no known fix or workaround just yet for the month-start hesitations, nor for the autosave lag in Ironman mode.

Different location for save files and screenshots

By default, the game puts the save files and screenshots into your Documents folder (see above). If you would prefer them to be kept in a different location, you can change this. Here is how:

Go to the location of the actual game files (where the executable is). Here, manually create a plain text file named userdir.txt. In this text file, put the path of where you would like the game to put save files and screenshots, e.g. D:\Games\EU4User\. (You can delete the folder in My Documents and restart the game, it will create its files in the new location.)

IMPORTANT: Before you do this, backup your save games, screenshots, etc, so that nothing is lost!

Last edited:
Reactions:
DLC names and numbers

DLCs reside in the program files area (this is under Steam/SteamApps/Common/Europa Universalis IV/DLC/) as two files for each DLC; dlc001.zip and dlc001.dlc . The .zip file contains the actual data, images or songs; the .dlc file is a simple text file that can be read with Notepad or Textapp and contains the title of the DLC as below.

001 100 Years War Unit Pack
002 Horsemen of the Crescent Unit Pack
003 Winged Hussars Unit Pack
004 Star and Cresent
005 American Dream
006 Purple Phoenix
007 National Monuments
008 Conquest of Constantinople Music Pack
009 National Monuments II

010 Conquest of Paradise
011 Conquistadors Unit Pack
012 Native Americans Unit Pack
013 Songs of the New World
014 Songs of Yuletide
015 Native Americans II Unit Pack
016 Colonial British and French Unit Pack
017 Muslim Advisor Portraits

018 Wealth of Nations
019 Muslim Ships Unit Pack
020 Trade Nations Unit Pack
021 Res Publica

024 Indian Subcontinent Unit Pack
025 Indian Ships Unit Pack
026 Republican Music

027 Art of War
028 Evangelical Union Unit Pack
029 Catholic League Unit Pack
030 Songs of War
031 Guns, Drums and Steel

033 El Dorado
034 South American Unit Pack
035 Mesoamerican Unit Pack
036 Songs of Exploration
037 Guns, Drums and Steel volume 2
038 Women in History

039 Common Sense
040 Theocracies Unit Pack
041 Buddhists Unit Pack
042 Great Nations Unit Pack
043 Free Cities Unit Pack
044 Kairi's Soundtrack

046 The Cossacks
047 Black Sea Unit Pack
048 Great Hordes Unit Pack
049 European Cavalry Unit Pack
050 Forts Pack
051 The Cossacks Music Pack
052 Sabaton Soundtrack
053 Catholic Majors Unit Pack
054 Evangelical Majors Unit Pack

055 Mare Nostrum
056 Italian Unit Pack
057 East African Unit Pack
058 North African Unit Pack
059 Kairis Soundtrack Part 2

060 Rights of Man
061 German Princes Unit Pack
062 West African Unit Pack
063 Songs of Regency

064 Fredman's Epistles
065 Fredman's Midsummer Epistles

066 Mandate of Heaven
067 Daimyo Unit Pack
068 Asian Majors Unit Pack
069 The North Unit Pack
070 Artillery Pack
071 Asian Navies

072 Third Rome (immersion pack)
073 Russian Principalities Unit Pack
074 Russian Borders Unit Pack
075 Russian What If? Unit Pack
076 The Rus Awaken

077 Cradle of Civilization
078 Peninsula Unit Pack
079 Persian Unit Pack
080 The Rivers Unit Pack
081 Kairi's Soundtrack 3 - Ottoman Tunes
082 Iranian Advisor Portraits
083 Muslim Female Advisor Portraits

084 Rule Britannia
085 Western Ireland Unit Pack
086 Eastern Ireland Unit Pack
087 British Nations Unit Pack
088 British Revolutionary Unit Pack
089 Rule Britannia Music Pack

090 Dharma
091 Dharma - Hindu Unit Pack
092 Dharma - Indian Sultanate Pack
093 Dharma Advisor Portraits
094 Dharma Music Pack

095 Golden Century
096 Golden Century - Iberian Ship Pack
097 Golden Century - Berber Ship Pack
098 Golden Century - Iberian Unit Pack
099 Golden Century Music Pack

100 Imperator Unit Pack

Bolded underlined entries are major DLCs that show reassurance icons in-game. Others are "cosmetic", that is they do not affect gameplay at all.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Andrew, just a comment about your suggested fixes to a laggy video performance. I notice that these fixes are duplicated in the game's "Options" tab, which can be accessed from the main screen and the scenario load screen. So people who are not comfortable editing game files can achieve the same effect by switching the "yes" on those tabs "no".

For what it's worth, I disabled city sprawl, shadows, "bloom," reflections, and ambient objects, and gained thereby a little in speed and lost scarcely anything in graphical experience. No doubt what others get will depend on the specific graphics card in question.

It would be good to include a comment about where to find the ebooks too (In your 2nd post), there are a few negative coments on steam from people simply because they cant find it

It is described correctly in the first post of this very thread.

Updated for visibility.

I have two questions about the latest DLCs you listed.

I understand that #47 to #50 are contained in the Cossacks Content Pack, but I cannot find anything about #51 'The Cossacks Music pack'.

Also I got #54 'Evangelical Majors Unit Pack' through my Paradox Account, but what about #53 'Catholic Majors Unit Pack' ?

I don't know where they came from, I'm sorry, just that they appeared in my installation!

Hi, was not sure where to ask this but didn't want to make a new thread here as it is not really a problem report. Anyway, I've been encountering CTD issues lately, while my own mods were enabled. I'm trying to make sense of it from logs and stuff. Is there a way to open and read DMP files generated by EU4 upon crashes?

Only by the developers. I suggest you ask for help in the User Mods forum.

Only by the developers. I suggest you ask for help in the User Mods forum.

Well, that was disappointing to hear. :( This involved my personally modified versions of Extended Timeline and Challenger's Province Bonanza Mod. At any rate, all logs were unhelpful in trying to self-diagnose this problem. Exception log were as the following:

######## EXCEPTION: 0xC0000005 at address: 0x013F704C: ACCESS VIOLATION read attempt to address 0x0000000C
Version: Unknown Version
10/27/16 22:14:05

The one consistent thing I've found so far is that it instantly CTD any time I selected Saint Helena province after it was discovered with intent to colonize it (the year was 1477, after starting in 1444). What would be a common cause of such CTDs? What log should I focus on in consideration of this fact?

Meanwhile, I will take your advice and ask in User Mods forum but I am not sure they will be able to help me with it.

I'm not either, but I don't have anything else to offer, sorry.

File Locations on Linux
[...]
If you run a CK2 savegame export, then that will appear in .local/share/Paradox\ Interactive/Crusader\ Kings\ II/eu4_export/mod
According to Wagonlitz they are exported to ~/.paradoxinteractive/Crusader\ Kings\ II/eu4_export/mod/ (I tried it myself a couple of minutes ago; he's correct!).

Updated for visibility.

Bump for visibility.

Update for visibility.