Europa Universalis IV - With God on Your Side [video]

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

dasupa1

Paradox Interactive
40 Badges
May 2, 2012
  • War of the Vikings
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Magicka
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Magicka 2
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Paradox Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Cities: Skylines
  • 500k Club
  • War of the Roses
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Impire
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Dungeonland
  • Cities in Motion 2
Create a Global Empire Through Careful Choice of Religion

If your dreams of leading a global empire have lain dormant for too long, the time to take action has arrived now that God is on your side. Paradox Interactive and Paradox Development Studio today released a brand new video developer diary for upcoming empire-building game, Europa Universalis IV, focused on the power of religion.

Delve deep into the delicate use of religion:

[video=youtube_share;B523ZwQlsdU]http://youtu.be/B523ZwQlsdU[/video]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B523ZwQlsdU

Project Lead Thomas Johansson details the intricacies of religion in countries throughout the world, and how differences between sects can both benefit and hinder your progress to historical greatness. Will you allow reformation when it rears its head in Europe or stand your ground for Catholicism? Will you forego Christianity entirely and become a champion of the Muslim or Buddhist faiths?

On Wednesday, July 3rd, emperors and empresses should make themselves comfortable in their screen-facing thrones for an epic Europa Universalis IV live stream. The broadcast starts at 6 pm GMT/ 7 pm BST/ 8 pm CEST / 11 am PDT, head to the official Paradox Interactive Twitch TV channel to see religion in action: twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive

Strategy fans can fulfill their quest for global domination by pre-ordering Europa Universalis IV. The pre-order bonus for the month of July has been revealed today—The Purple Phoenix DLC—and the details of its contents can be found here: www.europauniversalis4.com/buy. Anybody who pre-orders Europa Universalis IV, regardless of when they pre-order, will receive all DLC included in the pre-order campaign including secret, yet-to-be-revealed pre-order bonuses.

Europa Universalis IV is the latest installment in the award-winning series, with more than a million copies sold, and will release worldwide on August 13, 2013. The game gives you control of a nation to guide it through the years and create a dominant global empire in the age of exploration. Following on the success of the critically acclaimed strategy/RPG Crusader Kings II, Paradox Development Studio is ready to make you experience the drama that only the grand stage of history can provide. For more information, please visit europauniversalis4.com.

StrategyisHOTthisSummer_EuropaUniversalisIV.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yay. New trailer/DD and not on Friday.

I hope amount of different religions will be expanded later, though. Having the same Animism or Shamanism across the world is a bit simplistic, I guess.
(So, if that official CK2 converter will be released, it seems that all those different Pagan religions won't matter at all.)

Last edited:
Will Bob Dylan's "With God On Our Side" play constantly as soundtrack when you are defender of the faith?

Same here. Maybe "authority" is not the right word...

Centralization? Imposed Authority? Meddling?

"And I'd have gotten away with this Reformation too, if it wasn't for this meddling Pope!"

Centralization? Imposed Authority? Meddling?

"And I'd have gotten away with this Reformation too, if it wasn't for this meddling Pope!"

Yep. It'd be cool if the pope got money from other catholic countries and the higher this "imposed authority" value, the more money he gets... until the point when people get mad at him

Big "Animist" on almost every place that was pagan? I guess we are getting the Mutapa DotF running to the defense of the Aztecs, yet again. The Protestant Reformation can only trigger in Germany, no matter WERE the events that brought to that point happened. Switzerland is fully Reformed, which is funny because they fought the most civil Civil War ever in 1848 over lines almost completely religious.

Big "Animist" on almost every place that was pagan? I guess we are getting the Mutapa DotF running to the defense of the Aztecs, yet again. The Protestant Reformation can only trigger in Germany, no matter WERE the events that brought to that point happened. Switzerland is fully Reformed, which is funny because they fought the most civil Civil War ever in 1848 over lines almost completely religious.

That's actually a fairly easy fix, religion-wise, for a mod.

The difficult part would be the graphics. Beyond that, breaking apart Paganism into more... regional religions should work.

We shouldn't get so detailed that Central America is broken up by differing religion types, but they ought to be distinct from Western NA, Eastern NA, W Africa, E Africa, S Africa, S America (Maybe Inca vs S American Paganism?), Steppe Asian, Pacific Islander. Etc, etc.

The actual impacts of each religion could be just a copy/paste from generic Paganism, and we can give them generic regional names.

That's actually a fairly easy fix, religion-wise, for a mod.

The difficult part would be the graphics. Beyond that, breaking apart Paganism into more... regional religions should work.

We shouldn't get so detailed that Central America is broken up by differing religion types, but they ought to be distinct from Western NA, Eastern NA, W Africa, E Africa, S Africa, S America (Maybe Inca vs S American Paganism?), Steppe Asian, Pacific Islander. Etc, etc.

The actual impacts of each religion could be just a copy/paste from generic Paganism, and we can give them generic regional names.

I agree with you. A good solution would be to create subgroups that correspond to the culture group of the province or country. In general, what Paradox called "paganism" corresponds to ethnic religions, so separate in this way would avoid having affinity between pagan groups, which actually should not have that affinity.

I'm confused ,how can an increased papal authority lead to Martin Luther?
Wouldn't a decrease be more logical ?

No. It makes absolute sense.

Luther intented to lower authority of the pope. He came up because the papal authority was so high. His intention was to reform the catholic church in a way that would decentralise it, leading to a loss of papal control.

Can players in a MP game stop the reformation ? I mean if at each event for the authority of the Pope, each player chooses the option that decreases authority, then the Reformation won't start ( impossible in solo i presume )

I agree with you. A good solution would be to create subgroups that correspond to the culture group of the province or country. In general, what Paradox called "paganism" corresponds to ethnic religions, so separate in this way would avoid having affinity between pagan groups, which actually should not have that affinity.

Hence why I would suggestion regional. Cultural based religions would have the number of different religions get rather out of hand.

Obviously, we'd have to gloss over some details and generalize - but we can break down Paganism into 9 or 10 shards. Maybe even additional religious groups by continent.

Hence why I would suggestion regional. Cultural based religions would have the number of different religions get rather out of hand.

Obviously, we'd have to gloss over some details and generalize - but we can break down Paganism into 9 or 10 shards. Maybe even additional religious groups by continent.

Yes, I really meant cultural groups. So, should not take more than 10 types of paganism. Typically, ethnic religions within the same region tend to syncretism, so our ideas are not incompatible. For example, a single religion for the Caribbean area. No need to create two religions (Arawak and Carib) for a such small area.